Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,863 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:05 AM

Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days (16926 Views)

Boko Haram Cut Off Maiduguri From Power grid / Darkness pervades the country as national grid collapses again / 9 Hours Of Darkness As National Grid Collapses For The 10th Time In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by dre11(m): 6:29am On Jan 30, 2018
Okechukwu Nnodim , Abuja

The national electricity grid collapsed six times within a period of eight days this month, latest data from the Transmission Company of Nigeria has revealed .

According to the generation statistics of the Nigeria Electricity System Operator , an arm of the TCN , the national grid collapsed six times between January 1 and January 8 .

An analysis of the statistics , which was obtained by our correspondent in Abuja on Monday , showed that the country’ s power generation crashed from 3 , 667 . 5 megawatts on January 1 , 2018 , to 5 . 0 MW on January 2 , which was the first system collapse in the year .

The second grid collapse occurred on January 3 , as power generation on that day was 51MW . This moved up to 2 , 660 . 1 MW the following day.

But on January 5 , the grid collapsed for the third time to 107 MW .

Three other grid collapses were recorded on January 6 , 7 and 8 , as the country’ s power generation dropped to 173 MW , 164 . 2 MW and 72 MW , respectively .

Findings showed that peak power generation during the eight - day period hovered between 3 , 707 . 2 MW and 4 , 982 . 7 MW , but these figures were not sustained as the grid kept collapsing.
It was observed that 2 , 596 . 2 MW of electricity was generated on January 27 , which was the most recent power generation figure released by the NESO on Monday afternoon .

The poor power generation on January 27 was due to gas constraint , which prevented the production of over 2 , 321 . 8 MW of electricity.

Explaining the reasons for the grid collapses, the Chief Executive Officer , TCN , Usman Mohammed , at a recent event in Abuja , stated that there was a need for adequate investment in order to stabilise the grid.

He said , “ There are certain things that need to be put in place for us to have grid stability and one of them is that we need to put in adequate investment . One of the key investments that we need to do quickly is that we need to build another line between Benin and Omotosho.

“ When we do that, we think that we will be able to stabilise the grid, because 70 per cent of the instability we have is between Lagos and Benin .

This , of course , is because we have so many generation stations located on that axis . ”

http://punchng.com/power-grid-collapses-six-times-in-eight-days/

lalasticlala
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Nutase: 6:32am On Jan 30, 2018
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by naijaboy756: 6:37am On Jan 30, 2018
Dem no go talk o!

Na to come say power peak @ 9000MW

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Chidexter(m): 6:48am On Jan 30, 2018
No wonder, power no dey my side since three days now

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by SalamRushdie: 6:49am On Jan 30, 2018
Yetvwhen I say I barely have electricity Paid zombies will start arguing

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by lastempero: 6:51am On Jan 30, 2018
Geometric power is ready to improve power supply to aba and it's environs but laying idle just because of some useless laws and inability of the sh*t hole leaders to do something about it.enact laws to liberalise the power sector and encourage private firms to generate electricity and where possible should distribute to people who can afford it.As long as government is still involve in power generation,they can never get it right.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Beremx(f): 6:52am On Jan 30, 2018
i didnt notice it o! Na today we hear say power grid dey collapse? grin

7 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:54am On Jan 30, 2018
No be when you get light you go know sey power grid collapsed

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Kooldon(f): 6:57am On Jan 30, 2018
Power Section In Nigeria Has Been The Device Of Corruption Since The Invent Of Nigeria. So Many Fund Has Been Sunk In And We Are Stil Yet To See The Needed Result.
I Can Recall In Obasanjo's Era, Her Daughter Was Awarded A Multi-billion Contract On Power Generation And Til Date Nobody Is Blowing Whistle

6 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Bossontop(m): 6:57am On Jan 30, 2018
OVERLOADING.....instead ov improving the power generation to increase power supply we keep managing it
I tot a certain someone promised 24/7 uninterrupted power supply??

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by marveangel(m): 6:58am On Jan 30, 2018
same old same old.....meanwhile this should out a smile on someone's face

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Leopantro: 7:05am On Jan 30, 2018
Chidexter:
No wonder, power no dey my side since three days now

just 3 days? you are very lucky.
here it's 2 weeks

2 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Firefire(m): 7:15am On Jan 30, 2018
A party of darkness can never produce stable power/light.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:17am On Jan 30, 2018
that another sure excuse they will have to tell for the epileptic power supply.....I wonder what is keeping these gov't from fixing power,mi remember gov fashola saying that a responsible gov't would fix power withing 6 months.....its 3 years now and the language we hear is power is improving....3000, 2000 or 7000 mega wats

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by PatriotTemidayo: 7:18am On Jan 30, 2018
If economy and standard of living can collapse under this government of recession, why wouldn't the power grid?

Yeye government

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:20am On Jan 30, 2018
Firefire:
Imagine!
buhari brought Npower. ... buhari brought fulani herdsmen...... buhari brought miyet buhari brought back fuel subsidy

9 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Omeokachie: 7:21am On Jan 30, 2018
Fashola my guy.

Mister rocket science.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by 6pax: 7:29am On Jan 30, 2018
Hahahahaha grin grin grin
Nigerians are we still hoping for phcn for power ? grin
I just installed more solar panels last week and officially disconnected phcn supply from my home. though very expensive I now enjoy 247power supply. You gata fend for yourself in this country cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Firefire(m): 7:33am On Jan 30, 2018
valentineuwakwe:

buhari brought Npower. ...
buhari brought fulani herdsmen......
buhari brought miyet
buhari brought back fuel subsidy

Na so. Evil man!

6 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by usba: 7:42am On Jan 30, 2018
Privatisation of Power outstandingly failed, it didn't attract investment rather it continues to rely on government intervention for stability. This is what happens why Jonathan decides to share our wealth amongst his incompetent friends. The privatisation should be revisited and reviewed.

3 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by oduastates: 7:58am On Jan 30, 2018
We need another obasanjo telecom treatment in the power sector.
Get rid of all the parasites with licenses without the capacity
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Pavore9: 8:46am On Jan 30, 2018
Yawns.....
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Badboiz(m): 8:47am On Jan 30, 2018
As in
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by free2ryhme: 8:47am On Jan 30, 2018

6 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by 9Optional: 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
At the time it was 3.5mw, apc and buhari were lying that they have hit 7.0 mw. Liars. Yet, before 2015, they were putting up billboards that GEJ's 5000mw was unacceptable. Till date, they have not surpassed that 5000mw of GEJ, so they now use mouth to generate 7000 mw, hoping their zombies like always will fall for it

13 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by free2ryhme: 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
dre11:

http://punchng.com/power-grid-collapses-six-times-in-eight-days/

Is it that they just want to invent the type of electricity that we use in Nigeria or isn't it the same electricity used in other countries?

5 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by Troublemaker007(m): 8:49am On Jan 30, 2018
6pax:
Hahahahaha grin grin grin
Nigerians are we still hoping for phcn for power ? grin
I just installed more solar panels last week and officially disconnected phcn supply from my home. though very expensive I now enjoy 247power supply. You gata fend for yourself in this country cheesy

How many ba3 do you have and what’s the value of your entire solar power as of now lemme know where to start from.

5 Likes

Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by smartty68(m): 8:49am On Jan 30, 2018
H
Re: Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days by blessedmeme: 8:49am On Jan 30, 2018
Collapse indeed, we have been experiencing power failure in my area
for more than only God knows when mtcheeeew

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

John Dyegh Declares ‎Speakership Bid / ECOWAS Court Declares Suspension Of Twitter In Nigeria Unlawful / Tinubu Sympathises With Parents Of Ivan Omhonrina Killed By Stray Bullet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.