Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed (31688 Views)

Paddy Adenuga Advises Men On What To Do Before Sending Money To Their Women / Paddy Adenuga: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Mike Adenuga’s Son / Paddy Adenuga: 'I Cannot Date A Lady That Wears Wig, I Have Standards' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by verticalngn: 6:25am On Jan 31, 2018
The story is everywhere on the internet how Paddy Adenuga, the son of Nigeria’s telecoms and oil & gas business mogul where he nearly and almost bought Chevron, Netherlands.

He got guts, passionate, ambitious and he was ready to go to the moon even without a ride. He played the chess and played it well in the traditional ways.

Well, the story has been told, there is history and name made by Paddy already but we can’t shy away from the fact that the acquisition was not successful. He failed! What guts he got and why he failed?

EGO KILLED HIM

Paddy said “I pitched Catalan to Edgar and how if we pulled this off it would be the grandest of coups. Edgar was highly intrigued but stated that he wanted hard cash upfront from the onset. Whilst the others were all too eager to come on board and make their money via sweat equity or cash incentives when we had a target company in our sights, Edgar wanted to be paid money and a substantial amount before putting pen to paper. I was confused by his behaviour. I told him who the others were that were on Catalan’s advisory board but he wasn’t having it, either he would be paid his princely sum to attach his name to Catalan or no deal. I was 29 at the time and was still head-strong and prideful. How could this guy develop such an attitude? I thought we were friends. I suppose Edgar knew his value and wasn’t going to mortgage it on a promise of monies at a later date. As much as he liked my Trojan Horse idea, he just happened to like money more. I balked at his request in annoyance. I paid for lunch, told him no way, and stormed off home. This was a big mistake on my part that would rear its ugly head later.”

Edgar who is a professional that has lot of experience and the connections to pull through the Chevron acquisition to Catalan which Paddy also testified to backed out from joining the Catalan Bid team because Paddy was arrogantly couldn’t accept or negotiate his interest but he thought Edgar liked money. He admitted it was a big mistake from his own part not accepting or negotiating with Edgar because that was the beginning of his failure and before he realized, it was too late.

Paddy said “I had to reach out to Edgar and I’d also have to pay that princely sum of his. I met with Edgar for a steak dinner. I swallowed my pride and apologised profusely for our last meeting that didn’t go so well. I told Edgar that I wanted him on my team now on a full-time basis. Edgar knew he was needed now more than ever and cheekily asked for twice the amount he had originally requested for. This was no longer a princely sum but a king’s ransom. I did the math. It was worth it. I called my Bankers and made sure Edgar was paid. After everything failed, Edgar later told me that if I had brought him on from day one, the first question he would have asked me was, “What amount are you willing to pay for Chevron Netherlands, given what you wanted to use it for in Africa?” I told Edgar that the price I would have paid was USD 50 million. I should have paid Edgar his princely sum the first-time round, never again would I let ego or pride cloud my judgement.”

He had to pay doubled for Edgar and still did not win the bid. That is was the consequence of his ego and pride. In business, ego and pride don’t have place instead negotiate.

HE HELD IT TOO SECRETLY

” That night I went on a dinner date and bumped into an older friend of mine, Remi. I had always looked up to Remi. Remi is smart, successful, and highly intelligent. I felt like him and I were very much the same person and that he was me, just twenty or so years down the road. Remi asked me what I was up to with work and why I wasn’t in Lagos running the family business. I coyly changed topics as I didn’t want any Nigerians knowing what I was up to, certainly no one in “high society” or the political elite. Even though Remi was a great guy, I couldn’t take the risk. Chevron Netherlands was my Trojan Horse and it was on a strictly need to know basis. We will get back to Remi later.”

After everything failed, the Managing Director of Petrogas of Oman, the mystery company Paddy used most of later time to search that has the highest bidding and that acquired the Chevron company happens to be a close friend of Remi.

Paddy said “I called Remi and told him that I was back in Lagos. He invited me over to his palatial and modern home. He liked my Lion’s head insignia that I had stitched onto the pocket of my native Nigerian kaftan. We sat down for hours and talked business and politics. Then Remi asked me what was I doing in London all that time, away from the family business. I was happy to tell him about Chevron Netherlands at this point, the deal was done and over. Remi looked at me in astonishment, “You mean you took on a whole Chevron, with no noise, no fanfare and none of us knew? Ahh bros you try!” We laughed it off. Remi then revealed the biggest bombshell of my Chevron Netherlands adventure. The managing director of Petrogas of Oman was a close friend of his and he knew he was bidding for Chevron Netherlands at the time. If I had told him what I was up to when we saw in London, whilst I was searching for the last bidder, he would have introduced us. I was blown away. There it was that whole time. That mystery last bidder that I had searched so hard for was there for my taking and it passed right by me.”

Whooo! What would have happened if he told Remi and Remi speak with his friend at Petrogas of Oman would have be.. Instead of the Joint Venture he had with ONE and EBN, it should have be with Petrogas of Oman or he just play his chess in anyway anyway.

HIS TEAM DID’NT BELIEVE HIS INSTINCTS

This is very dangerous for any business when your team don’t believe your belief or instincts. Did he have a bad team? No but they simply can’t believe his lame ideas because they are professionals.

Paddy said “I countered that we needed to be aggressive and should take the entire abandex and offer cash of USD 50 million so that we could acquire Chevron Netherlands uncontested and plough quickly to our Africa strategy.

The Catalan management team thought I was crazy. Surely, I was 29 and now undeniably stupid. How could I look at that enormity of an abandex amount and now want to offer hard-earned cash on top of that? They believed I was frequenting my local bar too often and having one too many drinks. They pleaded with me that I follow their proposal. We argued further and eventually as a compromise, we agreed that we would take all of Chevron Netherlands oil & gas abandex but would still offer a notional $1 bid price. In my heart of hearts, I felt that a cash offer was needed to win but my management team, for which I had paid a respectable amount for their services, had convinced me otherwise. They were professionals I thought and they had my best interest at heart. The team printed out the documents for which I appended my signature and re-submitted.”

The same strategy his team rejected was the same strategy Petrogas of Oman the winner used.

Paddy said “Richard Kent sent me an email; Chevron Netherlands had been sold to Petrogas of Oman. The last bidder, the mystery company I couldn’t find. I’d later come to find out that USD 50 million plus an absorption of all the abandex was the winning formula for the bid – the same formula that I had proposed to my management team but they had pushed back on. This was a painful lesson to always trust my instincts, no matter the circumstance”

This is a big lesson to entrepreneurs that despite being ambitious, there should be a clear instincts to follow, people to tell even the fact he did not tell his father or any of his family friends that can help contributed to the failire and pride has no place in business of course, pride goes before destruction.

https://stackpreneur.com.ng/2018/01/adenugas-son-bid-acquire-chevron-failed/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 31, 2018
Interesting

5 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by clitlicker: 7:14am On Jan 31, 2018
abeg who get power bank.
paddy adenuga ko i pad adenuga ni

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by 989900: 8:06am On Jan 31, 2018
Consultants are overrated atimes.

A true entrepreneur's raw instinct and judgement most times is unexplainable, most times crazy, but that's what brings home the cookie.

And of course, the art of negotiation and surpressing pride is some skill in itself.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by meekah: 9:29am On Jan 31, 2018
PADDY SHOULD BE COMMEND AM IMPRESSIVE BY IS GUT AND LESSON WAS ALSO LEARN,THUMP UP PADDY

11 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by karlboss: 10:27am On Jan 31, 2018
989900:
Consultants are overrated atimes.

A true entrepreneur's raw instinct and judgement most times is unexplainable, most times crazy, but that's what brings home the cookie.

And of course, the art of negotiation and surpressing pride is some skill in itself.

When will I get to level of buying up companies. But as an entrepreneur I like following my instincts so If I fail I'll blame myself and get better next time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by jidobaba(m): 10:40am On Jan 31, 2018
Commendable yes but finally all na story.
Given the chance again, the situation would play out in the same way. Or maybe not.

My point is this is a rich kid with money to play around with. Even if he had won the bid, how is that a coup? He played to lose when he could also have played to win. There's a reason bids almost always go to the highest bidders. Even a 10 year old knows that.

18 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by stevecantrell: 11:15am On Jan 31, 2018
meekah:
PADDY SHOULD BE COMMEND AM IMPRESSIVE BY IS GUT AND LESSON WAS ALSO LEARN,THUMP UP PADDY

Well done.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by americanson: 11:53am On Jan 31, 2018
lalasticlala, mydn444, dominique, please this too deserve front page. Please I beg you all in whatever God you worship to push to front page.

Thank you and may your God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by Teewhy2: 11:56am On Jan 31, 2018
Failed or not what needs to be learn't in the story from my perspective.

1) Be as Bold as you can, Nothing is impossible to acheive
2) Dream Bigger than your immediate enviroment
3) Not all things should be kept secret from your close friends, you never can tell they may have an
information that can be the game changer.
4) Don't give up on challenges easily.
5) Don't allow your ego and pride becloud your sense of reasoning and judgement.
6) Always keep every contact of people you meet intact, even that Kunle welder no. might be
important one day.
7) Always trust your Instincts.
8 ) No matter what always take good care of your self and treat yourself well.
9) No age is too small to take on a great challenge. Age shouldn't be a barrier in conquering the world.
10) No training is useless, it might be of help one day.
11) open your mind into different things and make researches.

61 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by money121(m): 11:56am On Jan 31, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by Gpowerstechnlgy(m): 11:57am On Jan 31, 2018
Some Nairalanders will be like

18 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by TalkTalkTwins(m): 11:57am On Jan 31, 2018
grin that one concern im and im papa

Ladies see Killer tips to help avoid breasts sagging naturally

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by joystickextend1(m): 11:58am On Jan 31, 2018
alright
Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by BruncleZuma: 12:01pm On Jan 31, 2018
What has this contributed to my daily knowledge acquisition, a snotty brat with an overbearing ego telling us a story of his life. Wetin nah?

6 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by xmanco42: 12:01pm On Jan 31, 2018
E

16 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by oviejnr(m): 12:02pm On Jan 31, 2018
Really inspiring, but theres difference in Class. His from a wealthy background, exposure in the oil and gas business since he was little and a lot of connection help him pull that off without any Havard Business School Idea alas he lost. Lesson learnt

2 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by sunkanmihassan1(m): 12:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
Finally, the story hits front page.

1 Like

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by gulfer: 12:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
meekah:
I need to report you for murder angry angry angry

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by verygudbadguy(m): 12:05pm On Jan 31, 2018
The guy z got guts.. I read through the piece yesterday and i was moved. He could have achieved a new feat if the bid was successful. He has proved that he is a true son of his father and it shows that he is willing to throw everything into making his own name.

Good stuff.
tiredoflife:
Quite impressive read
But his Nigerian mentality killed him
Here u had a guy close by who can pull the strings
But u looked at a friend like an enemy
So why is he ur friend if u can't trust him with that information when u know he is of the class u seek
Now u lost cos u feel if u tell him village people will hear
He had his joker in front of him but played the knight
He is a really bad loser
He didn't plan to win
Please read the piece before jumping into this conclusion.
https://theafricaarchive.com/2018/01/29/a-lion-in-the-north-sea-the-battle-for-chevron-netherlands/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by tiredoflife(m): 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2018
Quite impressive read
But his Nigerian mentality killed him
Here u had a guy close by who can pull the strings
But u looked at a friend like an enemy
So why is he ur friend if u can't trust him with that information when u know he is of the class u seek
Now u lost cos u feel if u tell him village people will hear
He had his joker in front of him but played the knight
He is a really bad loser
He didn't plan to win

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by AdolfHitlerxXx: 12:08pm On Jan 31, 2018
hhh
Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by sisisioge: 12:08pm On Jan 31, 2018
Haaa! He could afford to acquire Chevron? OMG! I didn't know he had it in him shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 31, 2018
u r too much paddy, thought I hate you before but am now your real fan.

1 Like

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by sisisioge: 12:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
Teewhy2:
Failed or not what needs to be learn't in the story from my perspective.

1) Be as Bold as you can, Nothing is impossible to acheive
2) Dream Bigger than your immediate enviroment
3) Not all things should be kept secret from your close friends, you never can tell they may have an
information that can be the game changer.
4) Don't give up on challenges easily.
5) Don't allow your ego and pride becloud your sense of reasoning and judgement.
6) Always keep every contact of people you meet intact, even that Kunle welder no. might be
important one day.
7) Always trust your Instincts.
8 ) No matter what always take good care of your self and treat yourself well.
9) No age is too small to take on a great challenge. Age should be a barrier in conquering the world.
10) No training is useless, it might be of help one day.
11) open your mind into different things and make researches.

Baami, I swearit, I underestimated the dude. His father is defo a game changer, I had no idea it runs in the family. Respect to him man...respect for daring to fly.

5 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by LegendsCoded(m): 12:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
This guy is just trying to be relevant.

Next...... �

3 Likes

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by texazzpete(m): 12:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
OP just posted what Paddy himself said in the epistle...zero effort to add his own unique take on things.

1 Like

Re: Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed by elegantslayer(f): 12:14pm On Jan 31, 2018
GOD BLESS MY FUTURE HUSBAND WITH SO MUCH WEALTH AMEN

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bus Direction From Obalende To Landmark Event Center In V.I / Ledger Balance,help Please!!!!! / How Many Guys Still Does This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.