Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy (14162 Views)

Dead Bodies Of Victims Of Shiites And Nigerian Soldiers Clash (photos) / FG And Nigerian Military Describe CNN Report On Boko Haram As Satanic / Nigeria's Middle-Class Increases By 28 percent!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by hackney(m): 7:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
@Poster; welldone.
The content of your text is excellent and on point.
However, comparing the west (groceries at sainsbury's and tesco;you forgot chilled yorgurt grin)  with nigeria
is a bit of a stretch.
This is because even if Europe stands still for the next 10,000 years, nigeria
will still look worse than the refuse dumps of G.B or france.

To face facts, blacks are still (at least) mentally evolving.
We may work alongside whites and even excel beyond them on an individually basis(after having read their books) but as a team (society), i think we are actually fundamentally different.
How long has it been since we existed alongside them on earth?
Have a look at all the black nations,then look at the black nations that have some whites in them.

All i'm saying is that African countries should be compared with other african countries and not
with the western countries or even african countries with a lot of whites.

Some people may just sit there and not like it as usual but so what? IT IS THE TRUTH.
People who are discerning enough would at some stage realise (in a moment of stark clarity) that there must
be something about the whites.
The darker your skin the less 'able' you are as a people (groups,teams, societies).
The 'browns' are behind the 'whites' but ahead of the 'blacks' everywhere.

For the ones in diaspora, just look around you and sincerely ask yourself :CAN WE?,REALLY.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^You sound racist. But what is the point of bringing up your familiar half-baked theories of "evolution" Is that what you have been brainwashed with?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by sosilly1(m): 8:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
@ poster- regardless of what the topic was about, i found your write up quite an interesting read and would love to chat with you more even about the weather if possible, i would love to go on about your write up but i don't want to sound like some retired english language teacher,

Regarding the topic, personally i don't care what the view of the west has or portray about us or other developing countries, they will always make themselves out to be superior/saints/heroes. Besides, i don't think the views of their citizens will be affected much, the citizens fall into 3 main categories as far as i am concerned;
- clueless of developing countries
- don't care
- the clued up.

There is a joke here in the UK some white people use ' that was the *insert product, car/clothes etc* that Africa sent back' there are other variants of that line some people might have come across,

I still fail to see why the likes of Bono and Geldoff still organise Live Aid, after so many years, Where has all the money raised in the past gone? Why cant our own leaders (Africa) take care of their own? We are all humans, the west don't have some superior intellect that we are not privileged to, right? As long as the situation permits, we will always be viewed through lens similar to that of this documentary.

I reckon people who are shocked or displeased about this documentary never sat through an episode of Live Aid or comic/sports relief or any other fund raising activity for Africa and other 'developing' countries, *seriously how long are we gonna be referred to as developing*

I would have issues about the documentary if;
-it was untrue
-It was a minority i.e. a few hundred of people live in conditions shown or similar,

Besides, no media profits from good news, look what the UK media do to their own people and you will start to see a pattern,

What i will like to know is the reaction or comment of our government to such documentary I will find it hard to accept that non of those in power know this programme aired. As you can see from my location, i am not a full time resident of Nigeria so if there has been, please enlighten me, *spare me the diaspora rod*

My frustration about Nigeria is that we have enough resources and intellect to avoid conditions portrayed by the documentary, exaggerated or not!!
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by hackney(m): 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
@TENSOR
how can you call theories half-baked when there's a 90% chance you are good at nothing.
You are just another cyber warrior.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Mudley313: 8:26pm On Apr 17, 2010
hackney:

@Poster; welldone.
However, comparing the west (groceries at sainsbury's and tesco;you forgot chilled yorgurt grin) with nigeria
is a bit of a stretch.

We may work alongside whites and even excel beyond them on an individually basis(after having read their books) but as a team (society), i think we are actually fundamentally different.
Have a look at all the black nations,then look at the black nations that have some whites in them.

All i'm saying is that African countries should be compared with other african countries and not

Some people may just sit there and not like it as usual but so what? IT IS THE TRUTH.
People who are discerning enough would at some stage realise (in a moment of stark clarity) that there must
The darker your skin the less 'able' you are.

For the ones in diaspora, just look around you and sincerely ask yourself :CAN WE?,REALLY.

u sound really dumb here. hope u're white, if not, *shake my head*
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by hackney(m): 8:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
After your comment then what?
we return to status quo and trudge along for how long,we dont know.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
hackney:

@TENSOR
how can you call theories half-baked You are just another cyber warrior.
It is just that I don't believe in and what is more have little time for  the theory of evolution which you are so fond of quoting.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by hackney(m): 8:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
I have never believed that we came from a big bang but humans are different
across originating geo-zones. PERIOD
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by bidemi12(m): 9:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
tensor777:

As usual you are missing the point and going off on a tangent by ranting on other generic issues.
What we are concerned about is the Western media's almost pathological obsession with coming up with horror stories about Africa. These lopsided media reports give very false picture of Africa in the minds of Western viewers and even in the minds of some disgruntled elements of Nigerian extraction.

and what u fail to realise is that my points are all interlinked with the topic at hand. what is the "very false picture of Africa" that the media reports have put out? what have they said that are lies. There is a yoruba saying which basically says that if you refuse home training then you should expect outsiders/strangers to to train you, and believe me outsiders will not train you in the same cuddly way your parents would have. If we as a people refuse to clean up our acts then we should not complain when the spotlight is shone on us. you are refusing to accept one of my biggest points which is to stop this blind/retarded patroitism and giving ridiculous excuses for naijas backwardness.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 9:54pm On Apr 17, 2010
[b]@odumorun(Original Poster)
i fail to see much sense in your rant. . .There is no utopia anywhere on earth, sometimes some of u on Nairaland see this obodo oyibo as heaven
but sorry,u are still on planet earth, we all are. . .
Development is a process, it takes planning and execution to achieve,
thats why its funny that u dump on lagos,because Lagos is planning and executing its development agenda meticulously

Do u know that in china u just cant wake up and move from one part of the country to another without first landing a job in the city u are moving to?
If that policy was started by lagos to regulate its population,ppl like u will come back and condemn the State Govt

What u should be asking yourself is how are middle income countries like Indonesia,India,Brazil,Malaysia,Mexico, developing their countries and what is it we can borrow from them,and not to come and rant on a message board
Firstly u should be asking,what percentage of Government spending is from Taxation in those other places and compare it to Nigeria,
u would see that its closer to 60% - 80% in the countries i mentioned
whearas in Nigeria its probably 5 - 10%. . . .

The key to a modern economy is taxation,but how many of the so-called Nigerians that want everything pay taxes?
In the west,if u dont pay taxes,then dont expect any service, dont expect the police,or fire men or garbage men and so-on,
dont expect tarred roads or a clean environment and so-on, because it is taxes that are used to run society, not oil

After u have called for tax reform in Nigeria,the next thing to call for is the deepining of the Financial services Industry,
China just had a GDP growth of 11% in the first QTR, about 60% of that growth was attributed to Construction. . .
The reson i raise this is that construction alone can double our GDP in 5yrs to $400billion
but we have to have a transmission mechanism, to kickstart housing demand
In lay mans english i mean mortgages,Credit bureaus,Home equity(which will turn your dead home asset into a living asset instantly doubling or tripling average incomes)Reform of the land use act will also help
what this will do is to unleash a construction boom, 50% of the populace theoretically will be able to afford a home immediately
because all they would need is a down payment and a 30yr mortgage,
If they own their homes,then they will pay property taxes to the city or local Govt, and then each area will be able to maintain and keep its environment clean

You have things like corporate bonds,municipal bonds, again the bedrock of a modern society
Corporate bonds enable companies borrow longterm funds to expand and grow their businesses,so they can hire more people and keep the economic expansion going
Municipal bonds will enable any local Govt in NIgeria to borrow and build that access road,or school or power plant

I am outlining all these things for u because,Nigerias road to a modern economy perhaps started only in 2003
our first credit bureaus were licensed in 2006,First corporate bonds in 2005,FGN bonds came back after a 20yr hiatus in 2004
credit to the private sector by banks in form of mortgages and car loans and other forms of loans only started picking up in 2005(after consolidation)
we only just launched a pension scheme in 2005(PENCOM), This should have been there as far back as the 1980s
anyway better late than never because those funds in developed society is what is usually channeled  to bonds,equity and T-bills
which are used to finance roads and fund Govt spending

MY Main point of rattling all this out is that u have to give the nation time to get things right
the military Govts that ruled before were incapable of building a modern economy
Everything u raise in your rant is surmountable,but u must also have an idea of what u are talking about
because if u do,u will see that this is not a one day job,but a 10yrs plan

In the meantime,Nigeria is still a leader in Telecoms,Fashion,Financial services,Music and Movies (in Africa)
with huge Potential in oil,Gas,Tourism and Agriculture
Along with south Africa it was the only black Nation invited to Obamas Nuclear summit,(SEE BELOW)
I still have Faith in Nigeria and i know we will be in the top 20countries in 10yrs[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 9:56pm On Apr 17, 2010
The White House has listed the 47 nations expected to attend President Obama's big summit next week

First, the 47 countries, including the United States, that will participate in the summit.
include Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China,
the Czech Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan,
Jordan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, [size=16pt]Nigeria[/size], Norway, Pakistan,
Philippines, Poland, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia,
Singapore, Switzerland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, Ukraine and Vietnam.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 10:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
[b]@hackney

U delude yourself if u think white skin is the reason the west is ahead,
u are in europe so u should know that for over 1000 yrs Europeans fought hundreds of wars killing themselves in every barbaric and unimaginable fashion
This culminated in world war 2 where over 50million Europeans died

Again the key to a modern economy,is very simple,
a tiny manufacturing base that supports more sophisticated forms of services based industries of which Financial services is at the helm
Japan is the second largest economy in the world soon to be overtaken by china
Therefore your theory of racial heir-achy is flawed,since Japan and china are larger than any European economies
meanwhile Brazil might overtake The UK in 5yrs or so. . .

One more thing u should note is that the African people had alredy developed advanced forms of agricullture and culture
Long before any europeans appeared on the stage
I believe that this is Africas Century
dont be surprised that before the century is out
a global climate event will force europeans to abandon Europe and move to Africa begging for land
The events happening now in ICELAND and affecting all of EUROPE is only a tip of what is to come[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by mamagee3(f): 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2010
Good Point, I agree completely. . .
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
paddy_lo:

@hackney
One more thing u should note is that the African people had alredy developed advanced forms of agricullture and culture
Long before any europeans appeared on the stage
I believe that this is Africas Century
dont be surprised that before the century is out
a global climate event will force europeans to abandon Europe and move to Africa begging for land
The events happening now in ICELAND and affecting all of EUROPE is only a tip of what is to come

Talk about being deluded - the same Africa suffering from droughts, unable to feed its population despite fertile land? If Europeans are forced out of Europe, they will simply TAKE the land, just like they did in precolonial times.

Africans century when we can't even organise properly to CHOOSE our representatives? You talk about Europeans killing themselves centuries ago? Well we are still killing ourselves till today - so much for the technological development.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Akanbiedu(m): 10:40pm On Apr 17, 2010
hackney:

@Poster; welldone.
However, comparing the west (groceries at sainsbury's and tesco;you forgot chilled yorgurt grin)  with nigeria
is a bit of a stretch.

We may work alongside whites and even excel beyond them on an[b] individually[/b] basis(after having read their books) but as a[b] team [/b](society), i think we are actually fundamentally different.

The darker your skin the less 'able' you are as a people (groups,teams, societies).

painful truth. collective intelligence is obviously a challenge.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
Talk about being deluded - the same Africa suffering from droughts, unable to feed its population despite fertile land? If Europeans are forced out of Europe, they will simply TAKE the land, just like they did in precolonial times.

Africans century when we can't even organise properly to CHOOSE our representatives? You talk about Europeans killing themselves centuries ago? Well we are still killing ourselves till today - so much for the technological development.

Europeans will not be taking anyland from anywhere, those days are over
I talk of Europeans killing themselves for over a thousand yrs culminating only about 60yrs ago in world war two. . .

yes Africans kill themselves,but not on the scale and barbarity of Europeans
go watch a documentary on the second world war,then u will see the real nature of the white skin u worship

Africa has gotten everything in place for rapid Economic take off. . .
i suppose u have heard of the PIIGS?
Portugal,Ireland,Italy,Greece and spain

These countries will not collapse economically,but Europe as a whole is on a decline
While the emerging BRIC nations and Africa are on a rise, its a pity u cant see it
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by bidemi12(m): 11:14pm On Apr 17, 2010
paddy_lo:

Europeans will not be taking anyland from anywhere, those days are over
I talk of Europeans killing themselves for over a thousand yrs culminating only about 60yrs ago in world war two. . .

yes Africans kill themselves,but not on the scale and barbarity of Europeans
go watch a documentary on the second world war,then u will see the real nature of the white skin u worship

Africa has gotten everything in place for rapid Economic take off. . .
i suppose u have heard of the PIIGS?
Portugal,Ireland,Italy,Greece and spain

These countries will not collapse economically,but Europe as a whole is on a decline
While the emerging BRIC nations and Africa are on a rise, its a pity u cant see it

as of tody and with all the disturbing news coming from africa and especially Nigeria, i think it is the other way around. It is a shame we cannot see beyond our noses.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
@Bidemi, I think you should not have bothered. The comparison was being made to killings that happened during a WAR, even a WAR of over 50 years ago. lol How anyone can compare the Jos crisis to the second world war eludes me.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by justme123: 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
Very well articulated.

So where do we go from here? Most people are immediately going to start pointing fingers at the government but be careful, one of them is pointing back at you. The government is a cross-section of the people and  reflect the average Nigerian.

As Nigerians, we are very good at taking care of people close to us - family members, neighbors, village community members or anyone that is able to make us feel important by their appreciation of the benefits we bring to them. But we are lousy at taking care of total strangers - people who may never get a chance to give back that appreciation that makes us feel so important. So, it's no surprise that when we get into a government position, we are insensitive to the needs of the masses.

Take a look at this link http://www.kiva.org/lend/186098. There was a loan request from someone we would call 'the masses' in Nigeria to obtain some working capital for her very small provision store. All respondents to the loan request were foreigners. Most of these foreigners are everyday working class people in their countries. However, they have a lifestyle of looking beyond themselves and their families and communities and reaching out to help those who are less fortunate than themselves. A lot of people in western governments have that conviction. This is a value that is very rare in Nigeria and so badly needed in order to have an effective government.

So, it's important to see how a lot of people in the western world think and how they cannot understand the almost inexistence of this value in a society like Nigeria.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Sonofpeace(m): 11:23pm On Apr 17, 2010
Nice post. Its a pity that some of us here are being either myopic, sentimental or biased in our view towards the points raised by the poster. Have you people ever ask yourselves why the west only show the badside of Nigeria en never show that of other developing countries. They do so because of the followings: 1. Nigeria is a country blessed with abundant natural en human resource. 2. In the sixties Nigeria were considers as the best thing to happen to africa. 3. Nigeria have produced many notable people of many disciplines. 4. We call ourselves giant of africa. 5. We contributed greatly to the fall of apetheid regime(fight against briton) 6. We started ahead of most of the emerging economies such as brasil, india, south africa, thailand, malaysia etc. I can go on and on the list is endless. For me, we deserve what ever we get from the western media.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2010
Abeg the OP should go and sidon jo, yes we know these countries are ahead of us, why would someone be comparing fabregas to messi? Mscheeeeew we are our own people, yes we suck sometimes but hey did they get to where they are in 50 years?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 11:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
as of tody and with all the disturbing news coming from africa and especially Nigeria, i think it is the other way around. It is a shame we cannot see beyond our noses.

@Bidemi, I think you should not have bothered. The comparison was being made to killings that happened during a WAR, even a WAR of over 50 years ago. lol  How anyone can compare the Jos crisis to the second world war eludes me.
[b]
Therein lies your inherent bias against yourself, so a war is better than secretarian crises?

Ok what about the Northern island VS UK secretarian crises That lasted till 1999?

Yugoslav war,kosovo war in the heart of europe?

Listen jos is one city in a country of 150million ppl that is larger than france and england put together
Its as big as California,nevada and arizona put together,
these things happen all the time in
mexico, more than 200,000 have died since 2005 in the drug war, most are be-headed
phillipinnes, bomb blast just last week in the south blamed on islamic militants
Thailand, Political crises since 2006 coup, till today with no end in sight,also fighting islamic insurgents in the south
India, Fighting maoist rebels in the east(3 states),and islamic militants in kashmir and other parts of india
Thousands die from clashes every yr btw hindus and muslims and christians
Russia, militants blow up trains just 2 weeks ago killing 47, terrorism is a problem
Brazil, 55,000 die each yr from gun violence/murder, its cities are considered the most dangerous in the world after south africas
USA, more than 17,000 murders in the USA every yr. . .that is people killed,gunned down etc

so why is JOS Special?, or has the media sufficiently blinded u to think there must be something wrong with the black man?
If a man is gunned down in rio or washington D.C, is it any different from the person committing murder in jos?
Human nature is the same all over the world,
and Nigeria is safer than hundreds of countries in the world including the ones i just listed above[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 11:45pm On Apr 17, 2010
Keep nit picking you hear?

What is Mexico's literacy rate vs Nigeria? What is Thailand's? What are their respective economic growth rates?

Instead of making isolated comparisons of violence, look at the holistic picture instead.

India has rebels fighting, but manufactures its own cars, weapons and even satellites. Brazil has problems with violence (heaven knows how many die in Nigeria unrecorded) yet their economy is growing, their oil company is able to exploit its resources, they build airplanes and their economy is growing massively and they are a power to contend with on the world stage. Where is Nigeria? Still battling with tarring roads and putting furniture in schools - what a great comparison.

You must be a joker to say Nigeria is safer than Brazil or the Phillipines or even India. Do you know how many are killed in Nigeria daily that go unreported?

Stop talking for the sake of it.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 11:45pm On Apr 17, 2010
Take a look at this link http://www.kiva.org/lend/186098. There was a loan request from someone we would call 'the masses' in Nigeria to obtain some working capital for her very small provision store. All respondents to the loan request were foreigners. Most of these foreigners are everyday working class people in their countries. However, they have a lifestyle of looking beyond themselves and their families and communities and reaching out to help those who are less fortunate than themselves. A lot of people in western governments have that conviction. This is a value that is very rare in Nigeria and so badly needed in order to have an effective government.

So, it's important to see how a lot of people in the western world think and how they cannot understand the almost inexistence of this value in a society like Nigeria.

No if u look very carefully u will see that there is nothing altruistic about that loan. . .
They charge interest,so it is still a business. . .

I have already told u why credit growth is slow in Nigeria, its because there were no credit bureaus till 2006.  . .
and our banks were not really structured to extend loans till 2005-2006

The quality u claim that westerners have is BS, trust me i live with them,
They may make charitable donations but its because they will write it off in taxes thereby paying less taxes
They may start a foundation, but its because they dont want to leave their assets to uncle sam when they die
so they start a charitable trust and have their kids run it
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 11:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
Oh - and when references are being made to world wars, kindly remember Biafra in which over 1m died, and the more recent ones - Rwandan genocide, the killings in Congo, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the wars in Darfur and the killings in Guinea Bissau.

Of course it's good to point at others, but when you do so foolishly failing to realise the depth of your own problems, you are deluding yourself.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 11:56pm On Apr 17, 2010
Keep nit picking you hear?

What is Mexico's literacy rate vs Nigeria? What is Thailand's? What are their respective economic growth rates?

Instead of making isolated comparisons of violence, look at the holistic picture instead.

India has rebels fighting, but manufactures its own cars, weapons and even satellites. Brazil has problems with violence (heaven knows how many die in Nigeria unrecorded) yet their economy is growing, their oil company is able to exploit its resources, they build airplanes and their economy is growing massively and they are a power to contend with on the world stage. Where is Nigeria? Still battling with tarring roads and putting furniture in schools - what a great comparison.

You must be a joker to say Nigeria is safer than Brazil or the Phillipines or even India. Do you know how many are killed in Nigeria daily that go unreported?  

Stop talking for the sake of it.
[b]
I dont know about literacy levels in mexico, u tell me,but i am sure in southern Nigeria the literacy level is comparable to Mexicos
Thailands economy shrank last yr, while Nigerias grew by 7% according to CBN and 4.5% according to world bank

Nigerias economy has been growing at more than 7% annually from 2001 - 2008
we quadrupled GDP in 10yrs from $50billion to more than $200billion

GDP/capita rose from less than $500 to about $2,300 today

and yes Nigeria is safer than Brazil,or india see link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder

As for faster growth in the economy,if u read my first post on this page carefully
u will see the reforms that have to be done to unleash faster growth. . .

u sound defeatist. . . .i have told u that there is no magic to development
and it takes a process which we have begun in 2003. . . .

if u want tarred roads then build up a municipal bond industry in the NSE
give states access to long term funding via floating of infrastructure bonds

no need to come here yapping about roads,without understanding how they do it in thailand or brazil
as for airplanes only 3 countries in the world build airplanes. . .so Nigeria should stick to niche industries[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 12:01am On Apr 18, 2010
Oh - and when references are being made to world wars, kindly remember Biafra in which over 1m died, and the more recent ones - Rwandan genocide, the killings in Congo, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the wars in Darfur and the killings in Guinea Bissau.

Of course it's good to point at others, but when you do so foolishly failing to realise the depth of your own problems, you are deluding yourself.

am not pointing at others am telling u the world has problems. . .its human nature. .
are u going to jump off the earth and run to another planet?, no

we are all here we have all messed up,and we have to move on. . .
Rwandas economy is growing faster than europes

Liberias and sierra leones wars are over(with help from Nigeria)
Sudans war might be over too with elections just held
and congo is slowly rebuilding its economy. . . .

Thats how i prefer to look at things. . . .i dont go about castigating the west
i only remind those that choose to throw stones from the west that their history is more bloody than anything seen on the African continent, thats all
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by justme123: 12:04am On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

No if u look very carefully u will see that there is nothing altruistic about that loan. . .
They charge interest,so it is still a business. . .

The quality u claim that westerners have is BS, trust me i live with them,
They may make charitable donations but its because they will write it off in taxes thereby paying less taxes
They may start a foundation, but its because they dont want to leave their assets to uncle sam when they die
so they start a charitable trust and have their kids run it

Uh. Actually, those are interest free loans given by the lenders - the website mentioned that. Secondly, it is a loan, which means the borrower pays it back. You don't write that off in taxes. You just confirmed my argument. You find it very difficult to believe that people will help total strangers just because they think that's a value that they need to practice. You are so accustomed to getting something back for anything you give that this seems so foreign to you.

If someone like you becomes elected into the government in Nigeria, people would expect you to perform because of your comments on Nairaland, not realizing that you are no different from the rest.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 12:07am On Apr 18, 2010
[size=16pt]India's Naxalite insurgents[/size]
Politics with bloodshed
A slaughter reveals the inadequacy of India’s counterinsurgency effort
Apr 8th 2010
| DELHI | From The Economist print edition

FOR those who consider India’s Maoist insurgency a grave and urgent threat, the evidence keeps mounting. On April 6th several hundred Maoist guerrillas attacked a convoy in a forest in eastern Chhattisgarh state, killing 76 armed policemen. This was reckoned to be the worst loss in the stuttering, four-decade-long conflict.

It was also an emphatic response from the rebels to the central government’s latest offer of peace talks. Encouraged by an ostensible Maoist ceasefire proposal, India’s home minister, Palaniappan Chidambaram, has repeatedly declared the government ready to talk—provided the insurgents first lay down their arms. On April 4th, on a visit to Lalgarh, a Maoist-infested area of West Bengal, one of six states most affected by the insurgency, Mr Chidambaram asked, “Why do they not come for talks by just shunning violence?” There seems to be little prospect of this.

With roots in a 1967 peasant uprising in the West Bengali village of Naxalbari—hence their name, Naxalites—the Maoists have recently grown more potent. [size=16pt]They have an estimated 14,000 full-time fighters and loosely control a swathe of central and eastern India, albeit in jungle areas where the state is hardly present. Last year 998 people were killed in Maoist-related conflict. This year could be even bloodier.[/size]

Three things explain the Naxalites’ rise. First, since merging their two main factions in 2004—to form the Communist Party of India (Maoist) under Muppala Lakshmana Rao, known as “Ganapathi”—they have minimised the internal feuding that plagued them. Second, many festering grievances among tribal communities who live in India’s poor eastern states have provided them willing hands. And third, rapid economic growth there, especially in mining, has given the Naxalites new targets for extorting cash, including foreign and state-owned mining companies.

[size=16pt]The official response has been pitiful. Despite calls to action from the central government—in 2006 the prime minister, Manmohan Singh, described the insurgency as India’s “single biggest internal-security challenge”—most state governments, which are primarily responsible for law and order, have hardly stirred. Complacency is partly to blame: until recently few state-level politicians seemed to share Mr Singh’s alarm. Political expediency also plays a part: Shibu Soren, chief minister of Maoist-racked Jharkhand, won an election last year with the guerrillas’ support and is predictably reluctant to fight them.
[/size]
Perhaps most worrying, with the exception of Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal, the worst-affected states are also among India’s worst-governed. Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand were founded in 2000 as offcuts from two of India’s poorest states. Chhattisgarh’s most notable counterinsurgency ploy, arming an anti-Maoist tribal militia known as Salwa Judum or Peace March, was predictably a violent failure. It displaced over 50,000 villagers and acted as a recruiting sergeant for the Maoists. Yet, to be generous, it was partly a response to the inadequacy of the state police.

For the same reason, Mr Chidambaram is now deploying an additional 15,000 centrally trained troops to the worst-affected states, taking the total to around 75,000. Yet, for a vast area home to 450m people, this is still a tiny force. Moreover, properly trained state-level officers, who know the local language and conditions, have a much better counterinsurgency record. The clearest example is in Andhra Pradesh where, through better policing and generous development schemes, the insurgency has recently been greatly weakened.

To achieve similar results, other states will in the end have to take similar measures. Alas, the latest slaughter in Chhattisgarh showed how hapless outsiders can be. Most of its victims, who hailed from Uttar Pradesh, were killed by cunningly placed landmines after they rushed to take cover from the Maoists’ opening attack. As Mr Chidambaram said, “They seem to have walked into a trap.”

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15869400
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 12:11am On Apr 18, 2010
Uh. Actually, those are interest free loans given by the lenders - the website mentioned that. Secondly, it is a loan, which means the borrower pays it back. You don't write that off in taxes. You just confirmed my argument. You find it very difficult to believe that people will help total strangers just because they think that's a value that they need to practice. You are so accustomed to getting something back for anything you give that this seems so foreign to you.

If someone like you becomes elected into the government in Nigeria, people would expect you to perform because of your comments on Nairaland, not realizing that you are no different from the rest.

The loans are not interest free, pls go back to the website u provided and look to the right where it clearly states that they charge interests and fees on loans. . .

secondly u dont write off something from which u make a profit,or which is paid back to u
u only write off gifts, as in charity, and again this is not charity, so u have no point
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Kobojunkie: 12:14am On Apr 18, 2010
WOW!!! I see the thread is being derailed. . .  I wondered when that would happen.

http://www.kiva.org/about/facts/

Fact Sheet•Kiva is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, incorporated in November 2005.
•"Kiva" is a Swahili word which means "unity" or "agreement".
•Kiva is the world's first online micro-lending platform.
•Kiva was co-founded by Matt and Jessica Flannery, when they were 28 and 27 respectively.
•Previously, Kiva CEO and Co-Founder Matt Flannery was an engineer at Tivo. Premal Shah, Kiva President, was a product manager at PayPal.
•PayPal provides Kiva with free payment processing. Kiva's is the first account at PayPal with a free payment processing agreement.
•The minimum amount that can be loaned to an entrepreneur on Kiva is $25.
•Kiva partners with microfinance institutions around the world, referred to on the Kiva website as Field Partners.
•Recipients of a Kiva Loan are referred to as "entrepreneurs", contributors to a Kiva Loan are referred to as "Kiva Lenders".
•Anyone with an email address can create a Kiva Account. Anyone who can make payments using a credit card or PayPal account can be a Kiva Lender.
[size=13pt]•Currently, Kiva Lenders can only receive 0% interest on their loan. Kiva hopes to allow Field Partners to offer non-zero interest rates to Kiva Lenders.[/size]
•Kiva is headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
•Kiva currently employs 34 full-time staff members.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 12:18am On Apr 18, 2010
Fact Sheet•Kiva is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, incorporated in November 2005.
•"Kiva" is a Swahili word which means "unity" or "agreement".
•Kiva is the world's first online micro-lending platform.
•Kiva was co-founded by Matt and Jessica Flannery, when they were 28 and 27 respectively.
•Previously, Kiva CEO and Co-Founder Matt Flannery was an engineer at Tivo. Premal Shah, Kiva President, was a product manager at PayPal.
•PayPal provides Kiva with free payment processing. Kiva's is the first account at PayPal with a free payment processing agreement.
•The minimum amount that can be loaned to an entrepreneur on Kiva is $25.
•Kiva partners with microfinance institutions around the world, referred to on the Kiva website as Field Partners.
•Recipients of a Kiva Loan are referred to as "entrepreneurs", contributors to a Kiva Loan are referred to as "Kiva Lenders".
•Anyone with an email address can create a Kiva Account. Anyone who can make payments using a credit card or PayPal account can be a Kiva Lender.
•Currently, Kiva Lenders can only receive 0% interest on their loan. Kiva hopes to allow Field Partners to offer non-zero interest rates to Kiva Lenders.
•Kiva is headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
•Kiva currently employs 34 full-time staff members.

[b]Do Kiva's Field Partners charge interest to the entrepreneurs?
Self-sustainability is critical to creating long-term solutions to poverty, and charging interest to entrepreneurs is necessary for microfinance institutions to achieve this. [size=16pt]Our Field Partners are free to charge interest, but Kiva will not partner with an organization that charges exorbitant interest rates.[/size] We also require Field Partners to fully disclose their interest rates. You can find more information about the interest rates that Kiva's field partners charge on our Field Partner pages: http://www.kiva.org/about/partners .

Microfinance is an expensive business, which is essentially the reason small loans are not provided by large banks. Charging interest to entrepreneurs enables our Field Partners to bear these costs and achieve self-sustainability.

To read more on this topic, I suggest you check out the following article, written by a Kiva Fellow who works with CEPRODEL, one of our field partners in

http://na3.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservice/pkb/PublicKnowledgeSolution/d?orgId=00D500000006svl&id=50150000000IIav
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Outrage Trails Presidential Directive On Tinubu, APC / Military Denies Responsibility For Retaliatory Attack On Delta Community / Atiku Celebrates GEJ On His 60th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.