Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria (30515 Views)

Novice Graphic Designer Makes Obituary Of Himself For Advert Purposes / Career In Information Marketing On Facebook / How To Start Your Career In Information Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by karlboss: 5:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
From whichever country you are reading from, I am about to show you the basic steps to start a career in information technology as a beginner or someone without experience. Information technology rules the world now, and it is one of the most exciting fields to start your career.
It is quite complex for beginners without the basic skills and understanding of how the sector works. This post is aimed at educating both beginners with the skills, and those who wish to start a career in technology without skills.

Here are basic steps to take if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner

Know the Sub-Sectors in Information Technology

This is the first thing you have to do if you wish to start a career in information technology. There are several subsectors in Information Technology such as;

-Programming
-Software Development
-Web Design/Development
-Mobile Application Development
-Networking/Server Administration
-Big Data
-Multimedia (Designs and Graphics)
-Cloud
-Hardware Engineering
-Security and several others that abound.

If you think you are proficient in any of the above sub-sectors, then you go ahead to identify how to harness your skills and put it into work.
For beginners without any skill set to function in any of the above sub-sectors, you should find which sub-sector interests you to make a career out of it.

Identify where you fit it

This is the hardest part of the whole steps. Figuring out where you would fit it might be one hell of a task. Most people dive into Information Technology as beginners due to several reasons which include but not limited to;

Passion
Getting a job
Making a fortune out of the career.
Whichever of the above might be your reason, then you should make some basic research to identify which sub-sector would help you achieve your purpose.
You should also understand that making a mistake while choosing your best-fit career in IT might ruin your plans. So it is best to find out where your strength lies.
These few tips would help you identify your strength;

1) Are you good with visuals and colours (You can deal with Multimedia, Graphics, and Designs)
2) Are you mathematically sound and can deal with codes, numbers? Do you pay attention to slightest details? (Programming, software development and mobile application development might suit you)
3) Are you good with your hands? Can you handle tools? Are you comfortable working with machines, hardware, and systems? (You can consider a career in networking, robotics, system Engineering, hardware Engineering, etc)

There are several other questions to consider, but I recommend you speak to an expert who will guide you while making such decisions. You can ask me via the comment section on the blog, and I will guide you through the right steps to take.

Go get the Skill

Knowing where to fit in isn’t enough if you intend to start a career in information technology with no experience. I assumed you’ve identified the right sector, now is the time to go learn the right skill that would put thousands of dollars in your pocket.

For people with no computer science background in college, you have an alternative means of learning any of these skills.
I suggest you locate any good information technology training institute in your city, register and start your studies. For those in Nigeria, I have given a sincere review of the best and cheapest training institute; you can do well to check it out.

The factors below should help you in choosing the right training school;

Infrastructure used in delivering training
Quality of facilitators
Pricing (You shouldn’t break the bank to gain ICT knowledge)
Reviews from past students (I already wrote about the best school I attended for those in Lagos)

Go for your Certifications

Getting the skill is basic while getting certified helps you become a master at your career. If you intend to work for someone or freelance, you would need to convince your clients easily with your certifications.
A certification adds basically nothing to your skills, but it presents you as a professional to either the hiring manager or your client. I would be writing about the various certifications that come with different information technology courses, so do well to get subscribe and receive it directly to your mailbox.
Getting certifications should be part of your plans if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner. There are free and paid certifications, but the paid ones speak volume most times.

Perfect your skills

Now you’ve gotten the necessary skill you need as an information technologist, you need to build up your portfolio and become perfect. Most times I do recommend you work as an intern (whether paid or not) to gain the experience needed as a novice.
There are several firms who are willing to give you a chance to work for them as an intern – paid or not.
Some training school like this one would give you the necessary links to firms who are willing to sign you up as an intern.

After the above steps, you can then decide to either work for a firm or become a freelance agent. To start a career in information technology as a novice might be quite difficult without guidance, and I will be willing to help answer any complex question you have.

To receive information like this most times, just visit the blog with the link below and subscribe. I would guide you all the way.

http://topwritersden.com/how-to-start-a-career-in-information-technology-for-beginners/

This guy sef anytime I search for write up that makes sense on nairaland your name is always there. Nice one

6 Likes

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Jaytecq(m): 5:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
Williamso:

Wrong. I know many people making it on "Our Kwatiri" making it in the industry without any certification. Heck, almost all of them are even self-taught (No money spent on any shitstitute)

Whatever you do, just be good at it

well said... ur last line made my day
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Barywhyte(m): 5:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nice one OP. for the newbi, please learn Linux. whichever area you want to establish urself in, Linux is the bedrock of today's IT infrastructure.

Certifications are good but please go for the skills first. It is very tough to break in but your skillset will make way for. That's what I did and my first IT job fetched me 140k per month without a single certification and that's because at the point of interview , I was able to prove that I have the skill set in my CV

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by anytexy: 5:06pm On Jan 31, 2018
Any IT guy in the house? I want to roll in as s a beginner please.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:09pm On Jan 31, 2018
This is the first thing you have to do if you wish to start a career in information technology. There are several subsectors in Information Technology such as;

-Programming
-Software Development
-Web Design/Development
-Big Data
-Cloud
-Hardware Engineering

OP your classification is a bit off.

Programing includes web design, mobile design, cloud deployment and even 'big data'
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 31, 2018
what cert should programmer go for??
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by dokunbam(m): 5:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
If you want to learn laravel 5.4, contact me below
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Priceless200(f): 5:16pm On Jan 31, 2018
OP please what's the best IT institution in Abuja for a biginner.? One that you won't need to break bank oo. Even if it's a private tutor. Thank you.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Doerstech(m): 5:17pm On Jan 31, 2018
Find out where you fit....

Learn and Build a Portfolio of your work...

Start of with free gigs, internships and the rest

Not all IT roles requires certification....You don't certifications to build websites but as a Database person or Network or Server Professional you may/must get certifications to prove your worth.

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Doerstech(m): 5:18pm On Jan 31, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Programing includes web design, mobile design, cloud deployment and even 'big data'

A web designer is not necessarily a programmer and a programmer not a Web designer.....HIS CLASSIFICATION IS IN ORDER

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Barywhyte(m): 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2018
And the hottest skill now is cloud and serverless.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 5:31pm On Jan 31, 2018
I agree. The technical interview is critical!! At least on the software development side. So, if you put some certification or skills on your resume/CV, you better be able to back it up. A lot of technical interviews here in the US will put you at the board to solve problems. Usually a tech screen (technical phone interview) will usually weed out those that do not have the skills the job requires. And the face-to-face tech interview will dive deep into your skillset.

Williamso:
Nice write up!

I would however disagree on just one point here: "Go for your Certifications"
You even added that it basically adds nothing to your skill set and I see it as a waste of money (for a career in Software Engineering. I can't speak for the others). Without the necessary skill set, a certification is not worth the paper it's printed on and crossing the HR doesn't necessarily mean crossing the tech interview.

And furthermore, any HR that bases shortlisting only on candidates' certifications should be fired ASAP
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by engrjosefz(m): 5:35pm On Jan 31, 2018
I have strong passion for Networking and configuration of servers ... I need mentoring, who will help me pls

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:42pm On Jan 31, 2018
Doerstech:

A web designer is not necessarily a programmer and a programmer not a Web designer.....HIS CLASSIFICATION IS IN ORDER

Unless you are content to build basic websites with only HTML and CSS , a modern web designer is a programmer. All frontend designers are required to know at the very least, JavaScript plus one other language in 2018. How else can you implement tests, login, authentication, sessions etc ?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by yunggeeben(m): 5:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
Good evening house... please what's the cost dimension for learning Java programming at Alabian
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by airsaylongcon: 5:49pm On Jan 31, 2018
AK481:
Get 2 certificate CCNA and MCSA.

This will show your employees the seriousness and passion in you to learn.

Don’t spend your money learning the skill in-depth,you can only learn better in a production environment,your employee will teach you.

Before you get your CCNA and MCSA you personally need to get your WAEC English
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 5:50pm On Jan 31, 2018
marvin902:
all these certifications are just too much self... undecided
ccna,cisco
you dont have cert it seems your not ready..
abeg any sys/net admin in the house

Just identify the course you wish to go for, and focus on it. Leave the rest for people interested in it. cheesy
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 5:51pm On Jan 31, 2018
diamond88:
any training class for mbileapplication development?

Where is your location Sir?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by geoinvestor(m): 5:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
Barywhyte:
Nice one OP. for the newbi, please learn Linux. whichever area you want to establish urself in, Linux is the bedrock of today's IT infrastructure.

Certifications are good but please go for the skills first. It is very tough to break in but your skillset will make way for. That's what I did and my first IT job fetched me 140k per month without a single certification and that's because at the point of interview , I was able to prove that I have the skill set in my CV
Good evening sir. I'm thinking of learning graphic design. Do you think one can easily get a job from that field?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 5:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
Williamso:

Wrong. I know many people in "Our Kwatiri" making it in the industry without any certification. Heck, almost all of them are even self-taught (No money spent on any shitstitute)

Whatever you do, just be good at it

lol... that's true. But I know several people making it in Nigeria without going to school, would you advise your kids not to go to school?

People are different Sir, but we just have to follow the norm but think outside the box.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
anytexy:
For those in Nigeria, I have given a sincere review of the best and cheapest training institute; you can do well to check it out.

Where exactly please?

This is the link http://topwritersden.com/best-training-institute-nigeria/

It is also on the post. You should have just clicked it Sir.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by geoinvestor(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
From whichever country you are reading from, I am about to show you the basic steps to start a career in information technology as a beginner or someone without experience. Information technology rules the world now, and it is one of the most exciting fields to start your career.
It is quite complex for beginners without the basic skills and understanding of how the sector works. This post is aimed at educating both beginners with the skills, and those who wish to start a career in technology without skills.

Here are basic steps to take if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner

Know the Sub-Sectors in Information Technology

-Programming
-Software Development
-Web Design/Development
-Big Data
-Cloud
-Hardware Engineering

If you think you are proficient in any of the above sub-sectors, then you go ahead to identify how to harness your skills and put it into work.
For beginners without any skill set to function in any of the above sub-sectors, you should find which sub-sector interests you to make a career out of it.

Identify where you fit it

This is the hardest part of the whole steps. Figuring out where you would fit it might be one hell of a task. Most people dive into Information Technology as beginners due to several reasons which include but not limited to;

Passion
Getting a job
Making a fortune out of the career.
Whichever of the above might be your reason, then you should make some basic research to identify which sub-sector would help you achieve your purpose.
You should also understand that making a mistake while choosing your best-fit career in IT might ruin your plans. So it is best to find out where your strength lies.
These few tips would help you identify your strength;

1) Are you good with visuals and colours (You can deal with Multimedia, Graphics, and Designs)
2) Are you mathematically sound and can deal with codes, numbers? Do you pay attention to slightest details? (Programming, software development and mobile application development might suit you)
3) Are you good with your hands? Can you handle tools? Are you comfortable working with machines, hardware, and systems? (You can consider a career in networking, robotics, system Engineering, hardware Engineering, etc)

There are several other questions to consider, but I recommend you speak to an expert who will guide you while making such decisions. You can ask me via the comment section on the blog, and I will guide you through the right steps to take.

Go get the Skill

Knowing where to fit in isn’t enough if you intend to start a career in information technology with no experience. I assumed you’ve identified the right sector, now is the time to go learn the right skill that would put thousands of dollars in your pocket.

For people with no computer science background in college, you have an alternative means of learning any of these skills.
I suggest you locate any good information technology training institute in your city, register and start your studies. For those in Nigeria, I have given a sincere review of the best and cheapest training institute; you can do well to check it out.

The factors below should help you in choosing the right training school;

Infrastructure used in delivering training
Quality of facilitators
Pricing (You shouldn’t break the bank to gain ICT knowledge)
Reviews from past students (I already wrote about the best school I attended for those in Lagos)

Go for your Certifications

Getting the skill is basic while getting certified helps you become a master at your career. If you intend to work for someone or freelance, you would need to convince your clients easily with your certifications.
A certification adds basically nothing to your skills, but it presents you as a professional to either the hiring manager or your client. I would be writing about the various certifications that come with different information technology courses, so do well to get subscribe and receive it directly to your mailbox.
Getting certifications should be part of your plans if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner. There are free and paid certifications, but the paid ones speak volume most times.

Perfect your skills

Now you’ve gotten the necessary skill you need as an information technologist, you need to build up your portfolio and become perfect. Most times I do recommend you work as an intern (whether paid or not) to gain the experience needed as a novice.
There are several firms who are willing to give you a chance to work for them as an intern – paid or not.
Some training school like this one would give you the necessary links to firms who are willing to sign you up as an intern.

After the above steps, you can then decide to either work for a firm or become a freelance agent. To start a career in information technology as a novice might be quite difficult without guidance, and I will be willing to help answer any complex question you have.

To receive information like this most times, just visit the blog with the link below and subscribe. I would guide you all the way.

http://topwritersden.com/how-to-start-a-career-in-information-technology-for-beginners/
Good evening sir. Which company can one work as a graphic designer and is it very marketable?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Doerstech(m): 5:59pm On Jan 31, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Unless you are content to build basic websites with only HTML and CSS , a modern web designer is a programmer. All frontend designers are required to know at the very least, JavaScript plus one other language in 2018. How else can you implement tests, login, authentication, sessions etc ?

You can't call the Foundation of the web mere basic...Building logins, authentications and sessions driven web applications are they the job of a designer or a developer? Don't confuse both read my English again, a Web designer is not necessarily a programmer His Job is

- Create the structure using HTML

-Work out the aesthetic presentation using CSS

-Workout basic interaction using JS ( form authentications etc )

And he doesn't necessarily need to be a wizard in JS to do any interactions implementations.....as he can do those with HTML5 or JQuery without knowing it the way you're putting it

What of those that build or design with just CMS? will you now demise them because they can't code JS like you?

1 Share

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:13pm On Jan 31, 2018

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by double08(m): 6:15pm On Jan 31, 2018
Well getting certifications help but I found out when I started working that most people I work with didn't have that much certification, as I did 5 microsoft certification, my college gives 7 free vouchers when you pay your tuition, I took advantage of that...

Now I am working as a deskside support and I am contemplation on moving towards server administration or security..taking a course on SCCM now though
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 6:19pm On Jan 31, 2018
karlboss:

This guy sef anytime I search for write up that makes sense on nairaland your name is always there. Nice one

I appreciate Sir. God bless.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by myk2mic: 6:20pm On Jan 31, 2018
I graduated a long long time ago with a degree in statistics but had decided to go into IT.I started with Oracle database administration, cldnt get wrk with the certifications, so I switched to networking , I read and read, from basic to advanced books in networking including ccna but didn't write the exam ,but I knew the stuff so well that wen I went for an interview the hr guys were so impressed that I was employed ,and from there I really took off in my IT career. So I wld advice that
: u have passion and desire to read and learn
: wen reading pls make sure u have a good understanding of how the solution can be used in a production environment,else ur head wld only be filled with theories.
: have basic certifications,
:visit YouTube always

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 6:21pm On Jan 31, 2018
anytexy:
Any IT guy in the house? I want to roll in as s a beginner please.

I already explained the steps na cheesy.

All the same, you can ask me questions. Or you can still subscribe to my blog and I will guide you.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 6:22pm On Jan 31, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Programming includes web design, mobile design, cloud deployment and even 'big data'

Thanks for the correction Sir. I appreciate
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 31, 2018
I deliberately decided to stay away from commenting on this forum for a while as a result of loads of unproductive threads been created on a daily basis with zero value in anything you can think of but this thread worths my time and input because it is the type of thread that will really impact positively on so many rational beings out there that comes in contact with this thread.

A friend from this forum back in Nigeria reached out to me sometimes last week about what he can do for himself this year so as to make himself globally marketable and I told him point blank what I did and encouraged him to do so as well by researching on any subsets fields in IT that has zero prerequisite to learn which means you don't need any prior IT background for you to start learning.

There are lots of online IT training and resources one can utilize and get started, everything must not be in a classroom settings, you can learn through live online classes or go through self paced trainings where all the materials and video recordings of everything you need to know are presented to you and you can access them and study at your own pace.

YouTube is also a global University where u can learn anything for free then go and sit for the certification exams and get certified once you pass the exams but I'm a huge advocate for paid learning which is one way to treasure and value the knowledge you sort for.

My current work schedule only allows me to take a self paced training which I am currently utilizing for my TABLEAU DESKTOP/SERVER Training which is a 360° switch in career and it might interest whoever reading this piece to know that I have zero background in the IT field.

The cost for this training I'm currently undergoing is so little compared to the value I'm getting from what I'm learning.

It is a 40hr course with 80hours real life organization problems which is equivalent to 6months - 1 year work experience which will be in your resume once you are done and pass the TABLEAU DESKTOP & SERVER certification exams.

I'm not going to post the link to the training site here except if the Creator of this thread authorizes me to do so and the link comes with a 20% discount for the training fee.

I did made turns of online research which I started in the month of September 2017 on what IT field to venture into in 2018 so as to move up the food chain which also has lots of job openings.

I narrowed my options to Linux System or Network administration, Cyber security or go into medical coding and while I was almost settling for Linux System Admin, I came across TABLEAU Associates which will lead to one becoming a Certified TABLEAU PROFESSIONAL.

I researched about the nature of the job, job availabilities and their median annual salaries and "BOOM" I became curious and excited at the same time.

I was curious because I have never heard of TABLEAU before so I was like "which one be this one again" and my excitement was the opportunity to learn something new, that has lots of global job opportunities and the prospect of commanding a fat annual salary once certified. ( More tax refunds -lol )

Do not follow anyone's recommendations, do your own thorough research and make an informed decision based on your research on what route best suits you.

While in Nigeria, I was programmed to believe that you must have a basic background in something before you can learn it and Once I left the shore's of Nigeria, I found out that such thinking wasn't only misleading but also the highest form of ignorance being flagrantly posited as truth.

You can learn anything you set up your mind to learn, the only thing you need is the will power to get started, then the dedication to see it through and keep advancing.

Best of luck to everyone in here!

13 Likes

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 6:26pm On Jan 31, 2018
yunggeeben:
Good evening house... please what's the cost dimension for learning Java programming at Alabian

Visit their website bro. https://alabiansolutions.com/contact-us/

Call them and ask.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Policeman Spotted Sleeping With His Rifle While On Duty. Photos / Army releases promotion of Major-Generals, Brigadier Generals / Npower Resignation: Ex-volunteer Gets Call From Abuja, Share Testimony (story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.