Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc (1432 Views)

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / The Pains Of Living In Port Harcourt (photos) / ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by jookco(m): 10:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
I currently live in Los Angeles Ca, and work as a CNA , the cost of living here is killing me, I mean one bedroom apartment and its Bill can range from 900 to -1200 USD,I have been reading much about Houston Texas from Citydata and just confirmed that Houston is very cheap though the jobs there don't pay like jobs in CA but I don't mind the difference is not that much, the only thing that worry me is the Weather in Houston which is said to be very Hot, not withstanding I was told that most Nigerians in the US live in Houston therefore I decide to ask my brothers and sisters that know better than I do to tell me the different between this two cities and why you will live in any of them, and let me know any other city in the states where one can confortably live with low cost of living.
Thanks you all inh Advance and God bless you all.
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by dinggle: 3:01am On Apr 18, 2010
It is not easy living individually anywhere in America however $1200 for one room is simply outrageous. In north & central michigan (Lansing, Kalamazoo, Albion, Battle creek) with $650(all bills inclusive) you can get a 2bed room in an upscale apartment. CNA's earn betwwen $8.50 - $12/hr with full benefits and paid vacation, depending if you are a proxy hire or direct hire, tho! the weather can be crazily cold here in the winter, if your blood ain't thick enough to withstand the cold you dont wanna come here at all. The job prospects for the health and automotive industries are good here, if your records are crispy clean.

Tips for moving:
1. Apply for a job online via relative job websites e.g indeed.com or careerbuilder with a cover letter.
2. Secure atleast 3 employment responses before leaving your current job and prepare yourself for employment test and subsequent interview.
3. If you are moving to a city where you don't know anyone, you might wanna consider getting an apartment online. Usually the agents will call you and set things up for you there by saving you the cost of staying in a hotel.

Goodluck.
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by Pittbaby(f): 3:14am On Apr 18, 2010
In Michigan with $650(all bills inclusive) you can get a 2bed room in an upscale apartment.
That might be a stretch o , but definately you can get an ok 1 bedroom for that price depends on definition of Upscale sha , i live in Cleveland and a $650 2 bedroom might be a lil ghetto depending on how close it is to the city.
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by jookco(m): 12:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
Thanks Dinggle and Pittbaby you contribution helps a lot, I await response from other before I make up my mind.

God Bless you all
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by Pittbaby(f): 2:01pm On Apr 18, 2010
http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

i have found this useful in the past , Just enter your current salary and it will tell you how much less you can earn in Texas to maintain your standard of living.
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by johnkent(m): 10:11pm On Apr 18, 2010
haha. $650 for a 2 bedroom apartment?? I dont think u want to live there.

dinggle:
In north & central michigan (Lansing, Kalamazoo, Albion, Battle creek) with $650(all bills inclusive) you can get a 2bed room in an upscale apartment.

U mean ghetto Upscale?
Re: Texas V Los Angeles, Cost Of Living, Weather Etc by Pittbaby(f): 12:48am On Apr 19, 2010
I actually lived in Kalamzoo for a year and paid $650 exactly for a very nice 1 bedroom townhouse . Again i stay mute on two bedroom

(1) (Reply)

Things You Should Never Say On A Plane / Life In Various Foreign Countries: Share Your Experience / Penguins On The Loose In Cape Town's Empty Streets (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.