Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

... - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / ... (29404 Views)

Dwarf hybrid pawpaw Seed & Seedling Is Available. / Buy Your Dwarf Seedling Orange,lemon,mango,cashew, Pawpaw,ogbono,palm,bittercola / My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ... by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
manya:
As i am waiting for my dwarf papaya supply from that woman of East West company, i wanted to try planting the pawpaw seed i bought and ate. I did that two month ago and picture 1 is what i have now.
Picture two shows the seed i got Yesterday sunday 19/08/2018 and pictue three shows whre i planted the seeds.
It's too close to the wall as the wings will extend for about 1 m out.

Pawpaw spacing should be 2m x 2m giving maximum of 2000 plants per hectare. Some farmers use 1.8m x 1.8m accommodating 2700 plants. But for proper spacing, go with 2m x 2m

1 Like

Re: ... by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
I will advise red royale or sinta f1 over Vega f1 for commercial production as the fruits are larger which will fetch more cash.

1 Like

Re: ... by manya(m): 2:18pm On Aug 20, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
I will advise red royale or sinta f1 over Vega f1 for commercial production as the fruits are larger which will fetch more cash.
Thank you for your advise. I even wanted to ask you about the variety i should go for.
Re: ... by manya(m): 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

It's too close to the wall as the wings will extend for about 1 m out.

Pawpaw spacing should be 2m x 2m giving maximum of 2000 plants per hectare. Some farmers use 1.8m x 1.8m accommodating 2700 plants. But for proper spacing, go with 2m x 2m
When i planted i didn't take that into consideration. Anyway it was just a trial.
Re: ... by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
Approaching the seventh month on 2nd September, this variety is semi dwarf and not really dwarf. I will like to go for at least 2000/4000 trees on a hectare/2 hectares of plot in Abuja. The problem is the availability of land for lease with water body close by.

Re: ... by abilityC: 9:13am On Aug 31, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Approaching the seventh month on 2nd September, this variety is semi dwarf and not really dwarf. I will like to go for at least 2000/4000 trees on a hectare/2 hectares of plot in Abuja. The problem is the availability of land for lease with water body close by.
Good stuff i am trying to estimate profitability here, i can see good ten fruits coming out of 1 tree (estimate o) so if i plant 2000 trees grow successfully that is 2000 * 10= 20,000 pawpaw fruits so if i am able to make ₦100 per fruit that is 2million₦ earnings, i am very interested.....

2 Likes

Re: ... by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2018
abilityC:
Good stuff i am trying to estimate profitability here, i can see good ten fruits coming out of 1 tree (estimate o) so if i plant 2000 trees grow successfully that is 2000 * 10= 20,000 pawpaw fruits so if i am able to make ₦100 per fruit that is 2million₦ earnings, i am very interested.....
It's expected to produce 60 fruits per year per tree. One of my tree already have 30+ fruits now. Its close to my overflowing borehole water.

2 Likes

Re: ... by abilityC: 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

It's expected to produce 60 fruits per year per tree. One of my tree already have 30+ fruits now. Its close to my overflowing borehole water.
Nice one but you also have to factor in loss and spoilage as pawpaw is a perishable good its possible losses will be incured especially if there is no ready market. Like how much nowadays is required for a borehole in a farm?
Re: ... by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 31, 2018
abilityC:
Nice one but you also have to factor in loss and spoilage as pawpaw is a perishable good its possible losses will be incured especially if there is no ready market. Like how much nowadays is required for a borehole in a farm?
That's where the issue of hybrids come to play. A mature vega f1 could stay up-to 3 weeks before spoiling unlike the local ones.
Cost of a borehole depends on location. A fruiting pawpaw is expected to take every three days 15 liters according to agriculturist.

1 Like

Re: ... by ogbongenet: 4:08pm On Aug 31, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
what are you doing with this small size fruit pawpaw when i have a variety that can produce a fruit that weight up to 7kg at first fruiting. Pawpaw farming has to do with size of the fruit. I sell 250-300per fruit, must especially during Muslim fasting period

2 Likes

Re: ... by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
ogbongenet:
what are you doing with this small size fruit pawpaw when i have a variety that can produce a fruit that weight up to 7kg at first fruiting. Pawpaw farming has to do with size of the fruit. I sell 250-300per fruit, must especially during Muslim fasting period
Lol, what variety is that? This Vega f1 is not for commercial production and I only selected it for its sweetness and home use. Those who want to go into fruit juice production will prefer it over other variety.

The Vega f1 is expected to yield average of 1kg fruits

1 Like

Re: ... by mfm04622: 1:41am On Sep 01, 2018
abilityC:

Plan on selling for 50 each from your farm. You can get more than 10 fruit per tree. At least 30. So do your calculations again

1 Like

Re: ... by abilityC: 1:29pm On Sep 01, 2018
mfm04622:

Plan on selling for 50 each from your farm. You can get more than 10 fruit per tree. At least 30. So do your calculations again
ok sir
Re: ... by abilityC: 1:32pm On Sep 01, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Lol, what variety is that? This Vega f1 is not for commercial production and I only selected it for its sweetness and home use. Those who want to go into fruit juice production will prefer it over other variety.

The Vega f1 is expected to yield average of 1kg fruits
hnmm abeg which one will you advise for commercial production then ?
Re: ... by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
abilityC:
hnmm abeg which one will you advise for commercial production then ?
Red royale f1 or Sinta f1. There are other varieties but this is the few I can remember.

There is a brand popular in Mali and neighbouring countries called the papaya f1 horizon https://www.ics-agri.com/ouverturepdf.php?file=product-papaya-f1-horizon-very-productive-hybrid-1425402875.pdf
Price is about 145 euros for 1000 seed pack from the company.

1 Like

Re: ... by Idemujoseph: 8:11am On Sep 03, 2018
Mr Emma, pls when is your pawpaw expected to ripe?
Re: ... by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 03, 2018
Idemujoseph:
Mr Emma, pls when is your pawpaw expected to ripe?
From October

1 Like

Re: ... by Idemujoseph: 9:20am On Sep 03, 2018
Ok thanks
Re: ... by abilityC: 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Red royale f1 or Malaysia 1 foot or Sinta f1. There are other varieties but this is the few I can remember.

There is a brand popular in Mali and neighbouring countries called the papaya f1 horizon https://www.ics-agri.com/ouverturepdf.php?file=product-papaya-f1-horizon-very-productive-hybrid-1425402875.pdf
Price is about 145 euros for 1000 seed pack from the company.
Ok thanks, but from my calculation this vega f1 you planted makes commercial sense too
Re: ... by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 04, 2018
abilityC:

Ok thanks, but from my calculation this vega f1 you planted makes commercial sense too
Yes it is but will sell more if the size was large like the red royale.
This one is good for fruit production due to its sweetness.

If you are on a budget, go for the Malaysian 1 foot which is 1000 naira for a 25 seed pack.

1 Like

Re: ... by abilityC: 1:29am On Sep 05, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

If you are on a budget, go for the Malaysian 1 foot which is between 1000-2000 for a 350 seed pack.
Ok thanks for the info
Re: ... by manya(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

If you are on a budget, go for the Malaysian 1 foot which is between 1000-2000 for a 350 seed pack.
Please Emma where and how can I get these varieties like Malaysian 1 foot, and those you mentioned above?
Re: ... by manya(m): 6:01pm On Sep 05, 2018
My pawpaw have started germinating. You remember the picture of the seeds I posted earlier? See the germination below.

Re: ... by manya(m): 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2018
ogbongenet:
Kindly tell me how I can get this your variety and what is the name please?
Re: ... by manya(m): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2018
By the way, I just have a question. If I biy the fruit of Vega f1 or red royale f1 or Amy other dwarf variety and plant the seeds after eating the fruit, can they germinate and grow into that same variety?
Re: ... by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 05, 2018
manya:

Please Emma where and how can I get these varieties like Malaysian 1 foot, and those you mentioned above?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1570464173058235&id=1396907110413943
Re: ... by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2018
manya:
By the way, I just have a question. If I biy the fruit of Vega f1 or red royale f1 or Amy other dwarf variety and plant the seeds after eating the fruit, can they germinate and grow into that same variety?
It won't be true to type and thus no advisable.
Re: ... by gowaga68: 11:17pm On Sep 05, 2018
Where can one get the dwarf moringa seedlings pls ?
Re: ... by Chommychocolate: 12:47pm On Sep 06, 2018
ogbongenet:
how I get the seed . And can I still plant now
Re: ... by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 06, 2018
gowaga68:
Where can one get the dwarf moringa seedlings pls ?
Not in Nigeria at the moment. If you need a large size, let me know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August / Badagry Farmers Dance While Hanging On Bamboo Stick (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.