Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:02 PM

Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report (7042 Views)

Abiola Ajimobi's Health Condition Worsens After Days In Coma / APC Crisis Worsens As nPDP Faction Issues Seven-Day Ultimatum / Arewa Group Insists Igbos Must Leave Northern Nigeria, Despite Condemnation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Blue3k2: 6:22pm On Feb 03, 2018
Despite concerted efforts to curb the menace, malnutrition among children under five years is worsening in Nigeria, a new survey has revealed.

The fifth round Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS5) also shows that malnutrition in under five children living in rural areas is higher than those in urban areas.

The survey was carried out in 2016/2017 by the National Bureau of Statistics, (NBS), is in collaboration with the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA) and National Agency for the Control of Aids (NACA) as part of the global MICS programme.

According to the report, underweight prevalence (children who are too thin for their age) increased from 24.2% to 31.5%, stunting prevalence (children who are short for their age) increased from 34.8% to 43.6% while wasting prevalence (children who are too thin for their height) increased marginally from 10.2% to 10.8%.

Malnutrition is a condition that occurs when people consistently do not consume or absorb the right amounts and types of food and essential nutrients. Globally, it contributes to nearly half of all child deaths — that is more than three million children each year.

In same development, Nigeria still ranks third highest in childhood mortality in the world, after India and Pakistan, despite a nationwide drop in infant mortality rate from 97 per 1000 live births recorded in 2011, to 70 per 1000 live births in 2016 to 2017.

The MICS5 report also revealed that the probability of a child dying between birth and fifth birthday, dropped from 158 per 1000 live births in 2011 to 120 per 1000 live births in 2016 to 2017.

Earlier, the head of nutrition division, federal ministry of health, Chris Isokpunwu, said that the country needs N279.54 billion ($912 million) to address malnutrition in all states for five years.

The amount, according to him represents what is needed to be invested by all, including private, government and donor partners for the next five years and it will help save 123,000 lives each year, while it will also prevent 890,000 children from stunting, which is one of the manifestation of malnutrition in children.

In the middle of 2017, Aliko Dangote Foundation pledged to expend $100 million (about N36billion) to reduce the prevalence of under nutrition by 60percent in the worst affected parts of Nigeria.

In 2016, the Federal Government approved N4billion to tackle malnutrition in North-east Nigeria.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/health/health-news/257431-malnutrition-worsens-nigeria-despite-govt-private-sector-efforts-report.html

Front Page: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by littlewonders: 6:29pm On Feb 03, 2018
Death has opened the door.

1 Like

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Blue3k2: 6:34pm On Feb 03, 2018
It always amazes me how NE has less poverty in these indecies than NW. Some needs to explain why regions that produce the food do worse in these stats. I believe it's because southern regions can import more and generally have more disposable income.

Front Page: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by baralatie(m): 8:30pm On Feb 03, 2018
Blue3k2:
It always amazes me how NE has less poverty in these indecies than NW. Some needs to explain why regions that produce the food do worse in these stats. I believe it's because southern regions can import more and generally have more disposable income.

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2018
Buhari sef

3 Likes

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:51pm On Feb 03, 2018
Southeast is the least with 13.7% followed by Southsouth 13.8% underweight percentage, those who think we will be worse of in Bubu regime will be disappointed grin grin

59 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:03pm On Feb 03, 2018
This is end of discussion on poverty prevalence among tribes in Nigeria grin grin grin

Igbos ranked 12.9

Yoruba 18.0

Hausa 41.7

Other ethnic groups 20.8

Who God has blessed no man can curse tongue tongue

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Blue3k2: 9:14pm On Feb 03, 2018
This thread going to be fun. We have flame war starting soon. Funny how these government NBS/UN stats are believed no question but others wont be.

Front page: lalasticlala
Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:17pm On Feb 03, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Ibos, do not rejoice because your children are more nourished than our children in the south west.

The reason for the underweight of south west children is that the whole children were ordered to do " dry fasting" for 7 days before the testing grin

grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Alariiwo: 9:19pm On Feb 03, 2018
cc: imhotep you don chop today? grin

I have my reasons for asking.
Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by BankeSmalls(f): 9:20pm On Feb 03, 2018
Alariiwo:

Under Buharri, the south west have suffered grin

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Omeokachie: 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2018
Why won't there be malnutrition when fulani herdsmen are murdering farmers under Buhari's watch and he is doing nothing about it.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by ZombieTAMER: 9:26pm On Feb 03, 2018
Alariiwo:

Citizens of the Buhari's shithole are destined to die of hunger and starvation ....
The herdsmen are making sure that the farmers vacate the farms....

I once again say a big thanks to all those who voted for buhari.... He had to fulfill the scriptures

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:30pm On Feb 03, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Ibos, do not rejoice because your children are more nourished than our children in the south west.

The reason for the underweight of south west children is that the whole children were ordered to do " dry fasting" for 7 days before the testing grin
Auntie! Auntie!! Na so Liar Mohammed started before he turned into a full blown liar

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by ivandragon: 9:33pm On Feb 03, 2018
hope this won't lead to tribal slurs amongst southerners...
Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:35pm On Feb 03, 2018
So for decades one region has been at the helm of the affairs of this country, eradicating poorverty in their region is a rocket science while the people they marginalized and are still maginalizing are living like King's in their red mud landlocked region. Truly truly, man proposes but God disposes.

This is a case of Anu ana-agba egbe
o na-ata sharwama

Ndi Igbo Unu Kpóró Akpó Ka Chin-Chin

I Duff My Hat For Una cool

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 03, 2018
Hahaha hahaha hahaha
bubu is working
bubu 4 ever kiss
Sai barbarian wink

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2018
ZombieTAMER:

Citizens of the Buhari's shithole are destined to die of hunger and starvation ....
The herdsmen are making sure that the farmers vacate the farms....

I once again say a big thanks to all those who voted for buhari.... He had to fulfill the scriptures

They will continue to suffer till they seek for forgiveness from God for rejecting a moses for a pharoah

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 03, 2018
BankeSmalls:

Do you think the hunger in the country is affecting our south west shidren? grin

Those ones are already full blown cannibals

15 Likes

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by horsepower101: 11:19pm On Feb 03, 2018
post=64760357:
This is end of discussion on poverty prevalence among tribes in Nigeria grin grin grin

Igbos ranked 12.9

Yoruba 18.0

Hausa 41.7

Other ethnic groups 20.8

Who God has blessed no man can curse tongue tongue

The people that will end up worse after buhari is done with Nigeria definitely won't be Igbos. In fact it looks like buhari's marginalization is a blessing in disguise because a lot of igbos are beginning to think home first before they invest anywhere else in Nigeria. The real estate boom going on now in the East is something I have never witnessed before. Who God has blessed, no man can curse.

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 03, 2018
Haters can keep on hating but Umuchineke must progress.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by ZZ22: 12:21am On Feb 04, 2018
Buhari till 2030 let's see who will suffer it most. The new slogan for the suffersticated ones now is get your PVC ready, If you will vote out Buhari click like, Buhari must leave Aso Rock etc.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 04, 2018
Alariiwo:

We have been feeding omenkalives in Aba, ever since herdsmen and herdswomen chased him away from Benue grin

cc sarrki lzaa alariiwo amarabae yarimo t9ksy ngeneukwenu

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Anambra1stSon(m): 12:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
Why is this thread still not on front page since yesterday

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by nkwuocha: 12:24pm On Feb 04, 2018
I see umu Chineke is the least affected. The Hunger wey kill us during the civil war is now killing them embarassed embarassed
Despite they have ruled and still ruling, yet they still live in abject poverty and deprivation. tongue tongue tongue

Igbos right now

Ekwensu ntoirrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

The thread is empty!! Ndi uchu agwala oso Abiola! grin

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by BiafraIShere(m): 12:25pm On Feb 04, 2018
The truth is that Igbos are unstoppable. If what Igbos passed through between the years of the pogrom and Biafran war (1966-1970) happened to let's say Yorubas or Hausas, believe me, they would never overcome its effect even in a hundred years time! Yet the same Igbos whose economy was completely wiped off, 3 million of them killed, 99% of them left dirt poor in 1970 could bounce back to be leading by a wide margin, the same people that exploited, dehumanized and pauperized them!!?? I have been in the North and West, and have seen their people living in absolute poverty but I hardly see such in the East. Igbos are the most advanced and gifted tribe in Nigeria. A race that already had locally grown technology as far back as 1960's which they used to fight against the rest of the country that relied on foreign support. I read how technologically advanced Biafra was during the war and I cried that not only the Igbos lost, but the entire black race. Biafra would have been the only developed black nation.
God really blessed the Igbos!!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by BruncleZuma: 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2018
This is not a discussion point the data is out there....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by Godwin978(m): 12:28pm On Feb 04, 2018
afonjazz are all walking corpse

if you fight with any yoruba or hausa man be ready to bury him

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by princechurchill(m): 12:28pm On Feb 04, 2018
If you go to north and see malnutrition you will begin to question the intelligence of their power grabbers who can't better the lives of their brethren

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by DriveByKiller: 12:29pm On Feb 04, 2018
Hausa/ North has meat, tomatoes, yam, rice and apples and they still rank last in the nutrition deficient scale?

What a cursed uneducated lot.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Malnutrition Worsens In Nigeria Despite Govt, Private Sector Efforts — Report by nkwuocha: 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2018
DriveByKiller:
Hausa/ North has meat, tomatoes, yam, rice and apples and they still rank last in the nutrition deficient scale?

What a cursed uneducated lot.

Beats my imagination to this day!

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

PMB: Kind To The Living And The Dead - Femi Adesina / Buhari: Leaders Who Swear By The Holy Book Must Not Abuse Public Office / Sultan Opposes Troops In Borno, Absolves Boko Haram Of Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.