Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

5 Health Benefits Of Pork - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 5 Health Benefits Of Pork (2356 Views)

17 Health Benefits Of Ewe Akintola, CHROMOLAENA ODORATA / History Of Pork And Beef Processing In Nigeria / Nairaland Pig Farmers Host Free Pork Tasting Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 11:42am On Feb 04, 2018
5 HEALTH BENEFITS OF PORK
Pork is relatively cheaper than beef and chicken in Nigeria. Due to the fact that pork is forbidden in Islam and Judaism, it is almost nonexistent in some parts of the especially the north. In other places where it can be found it is cheaper than beef and chicken.
The vitamin B1 in pork is in high quantity. It is vital for growth and repair of muscles and nerve tissues, useful for carbohydrates metabolism as well. The presence of vitamin Riboflavin helps in maintaining skin and health problems. It repairs damaged tissues and extracts energy from food. Vitamin B6 present in pork meat helps in metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates and keeps proper functioning of the nervous system. It is also important for the formation of red blood cells.
Pork meat helps in producing red blood cells in the body.
Iron in pork enhances production of energy and iron from meat is easily absorbed by the body. Zinc present in pork boosts the immune system and improves body resistance against numerous diseases. It is also essential for a healthy brain. It also contains phosphorus which is essential for body growth and maintenance.
Pork is a good source of protein and amino acids as is vital for people interested in body building. Intake of Pork also ensures better immunity due to presence of essential antioxidant.
On the negative side, consumption of both undercooked and overcooked pork should be avoided. Overcooked pork may contain carcinogenic substances, and undercooked (or raw) pork may harbor parasites.
There is the potential danger of trichinosis if the pork is not properly cooked. However, this disease is still pretty rare in people. Also, cooking the pork very well reduces this problem.
Some preparations like bacon and fatty cuts promote cholesterol build up and is full of saturated fat which results in clogging of the artery. Definitely not meant for everyday consumption and in uncontrolled portions.
The risks of pork consumption are largely the same as those of eating meat in general. That being said, moderate consumption of properly prepared pork can very well fit into a healthy diet.

for more info on the nutritive value of pork... visit:
http://naijagro..com/2018/02/5-health-benefits-of-pork.html

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by uboma(m): 12:47pm On Feb 04, 2018
Yuck!

I will pass.

1 Like

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2018
naijagro:
Pork is relatively cheaper than beef and chicken in Nigeria. Due to the fact that pork is forbidden in Islam and Judaism, it is almost nonexistent in some parts of the especially the north. In other places where it can be found it is cheaper than beef and chicken.
The vitamin B1 in pork is in high quantity. It is vital for growth and repair of muscles and nerve tissues, useful for carbohydrates metabolism as well. The presence of vitamin Riboflavin helps in maintaining skin and health problems. It repairs damaged tissues and extracts energy from food. Vitamin B6 present in pork meat helps in metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates and keeps proper functioning of the nervous system. It is also important for the formation of red blood cells.
Iron in pork enhances production of energy and iron from meat is easily absorbed by the body. Zinc present in pork boosts the immune system and improves body resistance against numerous diseases. It is also essential for a healthy brain. It also contains phosphorus which is essential for body growth and maintenance.
Pork is a good source of protein and amino acids as is vital for people interested in body building. Intake of Pork also ensures better immunity due to presence of essential antioxidant.
On the negative side, consumption of both undercooked and overcooked pork should be avoided. Overcooked pork may contain carcinogenic substances, and undercooked (or raw) pork may harbor parasites.
There is the potential danger of trichinosis if the pork is not properly cooked. However, this disease is still pretty rare in people. Also, cooking the pork very well reduces this problem.
Some preparations like bacon and fatty cuts promote cholesterol build up and is full of saturated fat which results in clogging of the artery. Definitely not meant for everyday consumption and in uncontrolled portions.
The risks of pork consumption are largely the same as those of eating meat in general. That being said, moderate consumption of properly prepared pork can very well fit into a healthy diet.

Kindly edit your post.

The negative side you mentioned are myths

Better you write based on personal experience than copy and paste

1 Like

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 8:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
Very nutritious

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2018
femu:

Kindly edit your post.

The negative side you mentioned are myths

Better you write based on personal experience than copy and paste

pls b specific, wich 1 of dem is a myth?
ia it d part abt d endoparasites or d carcinogens!
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 1:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
naijagro:

pls b specific, wich 1 of dem is a myth?
ia it d part abt d endoparasites or d carcinogens!

Both. The former isn't exclusive to pork common to all living things including humans that's why it's expected you cook properly before consumption.

D later about carcinogens is completely false
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 12:35pm On Feb 06, 2018
[quote author=femu post=64806521]

Both. The former isn't exclusive to pork comm

i neva said d paraites were exclusive to pork and i mentioned d fact dat if properly cooked, it shud nt b a problem
as for d carcinogenic compounds formed as a result of overcooking pork, dere are several articles online along with results of studies undertaken dat prove a relationship btw consumption of overcooked red meat and cancer. its nt only pork by d way... its red meat in general.
as 4 d reliability of dese studies or articles, i cannot vouch 4 dem. but dey are too many to deny or ignore
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 12:46pm On Feb 06, 2018
[quote author=naijagro post=64835034][/quote]

Am sure the studies refer to Beef and not Pork, it would be beneficial to post the source of the study here
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 4:55pm On Feb 06, 2018
femu:

Am sure the studies refer to Beef and not Pork, it would be beneficial to post the source of the study here

tenk God u'v finally agreed abt d parasites. as 4 d carcinogens, i am sure d studies referred to RED MEAT in general... jst google 'carcinogens found in pork pdf' u'll see downloadable pdf files on studies conducted regarding it
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 5:09pm On Feb 06, 2018
naijagro:

tenk God u'v finally agreed abt d parasites. as 4 d carcinogens, i am sure d studies referred to RED MEAT in general... jst google 'carcinogens found in pork pdf' u'll see downloadable pdf files on studies conducted regarding it

I haven't agreed to the myths!!

What you have stated without source has nothing to do with pork so i suggest you edit your write up to reflect what you can proudly defend anywhere with facts.
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 2:45am On Feb 07, 2018
femu:

What you have stated without source has nothing to do with pork so i suggest you edit your write up to reflect what you can proudly defend anywhere with facts.

femu:

i dnt tink u even attempted 2 google wat i tld u... bt anyway:

SOURCES:
https://www.google.com/search?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1761914964

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/ -World Health Organization

http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/08/15/17-carcinogenic-foods-you-probably-eat-every-day_a_21452232/ -huffingtonpost

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/pork/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4494840338

pls note dat dese websites are nt jst anyhow rumor mongering sites... dese are renowned organizations!
dere's even a world cancer research fund report on it!!

as 4 d parasites found in pork, i still stand by my first statement!... undercooked pork WILL ALMOST DEFINITELY contain PARASITES!! i dnt even nid 2 cite any1 or any article... quote me anywhere!

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 7:32am On Feb 07, 2018
naijagro:

i dnt tink u even attempted 2 google wat i tld u... bt anyway:

SOURCES:
https://www.google.com/search?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1761914964

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/ -World Health Organization

http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/08/15/17-carcinogenic-foods-you-probably-eat-every-day_a_21452232/ -huffingtonpost

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/pork/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4494840338

pls note dat dese websites are nt jst anyhow rumor mongering sites... dese are renowned organizations!
dere's even a world cancer research fund report on it!!

as 4 d parasites found in pork, i still stand by my first statement!... undercooked pork WILL ALMOST DEFINITELY contain PARASITES!! i dnt even nid 2 cite any1 or any article... quote me anywhere!

Your post is mischievous.

The WHO article refers to all PROCESSED MEAT and not to Pork exclusively.

What is processed meat?

Processed meat is considered to be any meat which has been modified in order either to improve its taste or to extend its shelf life. Methods of meat processing include salting , curing , fermentation , and smoking .

We don't use these methods for preserving pork in Nigeria.

Infact you should be more worried about suya and smoked fish because of the likely carcinogens from smoke preservation

Also in terms of salting preservation sodium nitrite is used in the western world. We don't use sodium nitrite here in Nigeria!!!

The preservative sodium nitrite (E250) (mixed into curing-salt) is well known for its role in inhibiting the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria spores in processed and refrigerated meats. A principal concern about sodium nitrite is the formation of carcinogenic
nitrosamines in meats containing sodium nitrite when meat is charred or overcooked.

We don't use preservatives in our Pork and most meat in Nigeria. It's always fresh.

I advise you understand the difference between Fresh and Processed Meat before making wild assumptions.

On parasites i have been eating pork every day in my house for years and I have slaughtered hundreds of pigs personally.
my kids are addicted to the tasty pork Sausages i make

I am yet to see or detect even using laboratory tests any worm in the meat.

My advice to you is to pick a topic you know a lot about through personal experience rather than making wild assumptions.
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by Agbaletu: 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
naijagro:

Not only pork, it is for all red meat. Don't make it looks like only overcooked pork can contain carcinogenic substance. I doubt if you have vast knowledge of what you put up there.

We need Pig farmers here. I don't know jack about what this poster is talking here.
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 6:49pm On Feb 07, 2018
femu:

Your post is mischievous.

The WHO article refers to all PROCESSED MEAT and not to Pork exclusively.

What is processed meat?

Processed meat is considered to be any meat which has been modified in order either to improve its taste or to extend its shelf life. Methods of meat processing include salting , curing , fermentation , and smoking .

We don't use these methods for preserving pork in Nigeria.

Infact you should be more worried about suya and smoked fish because of the likely carcinogens from smoke preservation

Also in terms of salting preservation sodium nitrite is used in the western world. We don't use sodium nitrite here in Nigeria!!!

The preservative sodium nitrite (E250) (mixed into curing-salt) is well known for its role in inhibiting the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria spores in processed and refrigerated meats. A principal concern about sodium nitrite is the formation of carcinogenic
nitrosamines in meats containing sodium nitrite when meat is charred or overcooked.

We don't use preservatives in our Pork and most meat in Nigeria. It's always fresh.

I advise you understand the difference between Fresh and Processed Meat before making wild assumptions.

On parasites i have been eating pork every day in my house for years and I have slaughtered hundreds of pigs personally.
my kids are addicted to the tasty pork Sausages i make

I am yet to see or detect even using laboratory tests any worm in the meat.

My advice to you is to pick a topic you know a lot about through personal experience rather than making wild assumptions.

lol, so my post is mischievous simply becos i mentioned 2 negative things abt pork?!
so eating pork has no negative aspects?!
so the WHO report referred to ONLY PROCESSED MEAT?!
u didnt see d part abt RED MEAT?!
or did u do SELECTIVE READING?!
infact is it only the WHO report u read?!
d huffington post article, d nutritionfacts.org article, u didnt read dese 1s?!
d google search i asked u 2 do, d articles u asked 4, d sources u asked 4, u didnt read any of dem!
y ar u choosing 2 ignore d RED MEAT stated in ALL d articles and reports i gave u?!
even d PROCESSED MEAT u'r talking abt, pls go tru everytin i av written, and tell me where i mentioned processed meat!
since we started dis exchange, i categorically used d terms PORK or RED MEAT, never PROCESSED MEAT!
d processed meat u'r talking abt is wat u got from the pictures i posted and u can clearly see dat nt only processed meat was mentioned. 4 d few places where processed meat was mentioned, red meat was also mentioned!
infact in my original article, i stated it clearly dat whatever problems pork might av, its NOT AN EXCLUSIVE PROBLEM and can generally b found in all meat (red meat). pls check my original article, and tell me i'm lying!
on d issue of ur eating pork 4 years and nt detecting any parasites in it, if u'r talking abt ur cooked pork, den kudos 2 u... it means u'r cooking it properly and as such, shud nt av anytin 2 worry abt regarding parasitic infections (jst as i stated in d original article).
i too eat pork EVERYDAY! i myt nt hav killed several lyk u, sometimes i dnt even prepare d pork myself, but so far i av nt had any issues wit parasites.
i am a microbiologist sir, so trust me, i do nt speak 4rm ignorance. lyk i said and will kip saying dere are TOO many articles available, dese articles were nt written by me, dese researches were nt carried out by me, so dere4 i cannot vouch 4 deir authenticity. but there are TOO MANY 4rm RENOWNED ORGANIZATION 2 ignore!
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 7:09pm On Feb 07, 2018
Agbaletu:

Not only pork, it is for all red meat. Don't make it looks like only overcooked pork can contain carcinogenic substance. I doubt if you have vast knowledge of what you put up there.

We need Pig farmers here. I don't know jack about what this poster is talking here.

did u read d part where i said ' d risk of pork consumption are largely d same as eating meat in general' !! did u??!
where in my article, did i advise ppl nt 2 embark on pig farming?!
if u'r going 2 deny d negative aspects of d article, are u also going 2 deny d positive aspects?!
y ar u guys choosing 2 dwell on d bad side, excluding d good?!
y are u making seem like as if i only talked abt bad tins regarding pork?!
Y would any1 on a normal day decide 2 OVERCOOK PORK?!
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by femu(m): 8:17pm On Feb 07, 2018
naijagro:

did u read d part where i said ' d risk of pork consumption are largely d same as eating meat in general' !! did u??!
where in my article, did i advise ppl nt 2 embark on pig farming?!
if u'r going 2 deny d negative aspects of d article, are u also going 2 deny d positive aspects?!
y ar u guys choosing 2 dwell on d bad side, excluding d good?!
y are u making seem like as if i only talked abt bad tins regarding pork?!
Y would any1 on a normal day decide 2 OVERCOOK PORK?!

Write about the risk of beef, fish and chicken!!!
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Pork by naijagro: 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2018
femu:

Write about the risk of beef, fish and chicken!!!
dat i wrote abt pork nw, dos nt mean i wnt write abt odas later... i'm still working on oda articles. u dnt expect me 2 publish all of dem at once!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cow Kidney Stones Available. / The Cheapest And Reliable Farmlands On Nairaland / Teak Plantation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.