Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau (6799 Views)

PDP Has Raped Our Economy - Says Buhari / AIT Received N10 Billion For Damaging Documentaries / APC Gusau Rally LIVE - Holding In The Tick Of The Mid-night - See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nchara: 3:47am On Apr 19, 2010
CBN Reform Damaging Economy, Says Gusau
•‘Anti-graft war ineffective and selective’

From Kunle Akogun in Abuja, 04.19.2010

The National Security Adviser (NSA), General Aliyu Mohammed Gusau (rtd), has faulted the on-going banking sector reform, saying the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) intervention "seemed to have damaged economic activities in the banking sector to the detriment of the larger society".

Gusau also reviewed the on-going anti-corruption campaign in the country, writing it off as "ineffective and selective" but promised that the current administration would fight corruption employing equal standards across board.
The NSA gave these verdicts at a security awareness seminar organised for the newly appointed ministers by his office in Abuja at the weekend, according to a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Adebisi Adekunle.

According to Gusau, the travails of the banking sector and the way they were addressed reflect the double standards, which critics perceive in the administration of justice, lamenting that "only a few banks were penalized for what every bank seems to be doing".
Gusau said "the fragility of the economy further dictates that offenders be interdicted without damaging the sector.

CBN under Mallam sanusi Lamido Sanusi had fired the executive management of eight of the 24 banks in the country last August and October-having found the institutions to be in grave situation after a special audit jointly conducted by the apex bank and Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC).

Consequently, the banking watchdog provided N620 billion ($3.9 billion) in liquidity and loan support to the eight institutions, stressing that lax management had left the banks dangerously undercapitalised.
These institutions had since been taken over by CBN appointed managements, which had since been running the banks as going concerns until new investors are found to recapitalise them.

CBN had put the non-performing loans (NPLs) of the eight banks at N1.524 trillion. The amount, it pointed out, represented 60.75 per cent of the industry’s total NPLs.

Given the provisions for bad loans, which the rescued banks and other banks were compelled to make by the apex bank, banks have since shut their doors to borrowers.

CBN had also taken other measures which include the proposed categorisation of banks and proposed scrapping of universal banking within the next 18 months, which has been condemned in some quarters. 

On anti-corruption, Gusau said: "The anti-corruption campaign has been largely considered to be ineffective and selective ,  because it penalizes a few unfortunate individuals while society see many they consider guilty enjoying their loot in freedom".

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan had earlier lamented that the anti-corruption war lacks vigour and that the crusade would be reinvigorated.

Gusau said some of the anti-corruption agencies in the country have credibility problems, as "their leaders are being accused of wrong-doings".
Stating that corruption is an economic crime that threatens the survival of the country, the NSA said it is difficult to prosecute offenders because of the lengthy delays in court processes "while criminals go in and out of prisons at will, becoming serial offenders".

He told the ministers that security of lives, properties and livelihood is threatened by crime, adding that "the crime situation in the country is so high that the law enforcement agencies appear overwhelmed by the sad situation".

Gusau said "very little attention is paid to the prevention of crime," insisting that pro-active security measures could assist to prevent crimes while good laws and efficient penal system will deter criminals and reduce crimes.

The NSA, however, lamented that "the country's current legal system seems to promote crimes".

Gusau, whose address at the seminar was titled "An overview of the nation's security", cautioned the new ministers on the security implications of any lapse in their actions.

He said ministers of the federation must be at the vanguard of efforts to restore sanity and stability as well as to increase public confidence in the ability of governance to function as expected.

Stressing that the enhancement of human development is a key security objective, the NSA added that “Nigeria is rated low in human development index issued periodically by international institutions.”

Public officials, he said, have to be conscious of the impressions they convey by the way they value or depreciate the worth of the average Nigerian.

He said "the carnage in Jos and the summary killing of Boko Haram suspects by the police showed the world that Nigerians do not value themselves.”

Gusau also said with incidence of polio, guinea worm, malaria and other disease, which have been eradicated in other parts of the world, the commitment of the government to human development has since been under question.

The same development, according to him, prevails in the country’s educational facilities as well as given indices of the high unemployment level, poverty, low food security arising from the country’s inability to feed its people and decaying infrastructure.

Charging the ministers to be conscious of the impact of public policy on the nation’s security, the NSA said, “I want you to always remember that national security interests are paramount and must be respected. Public policy can have significant impact.”

He said it was important for certain public policies to have security inputs just as the introduction of policies, which may be considered controversial, are implemented with adequate preparation by security agencies.

He tasked the ministers on the need to carry the people along in policy plan and implementation, saying that to do otherwise have serious consequences both in the short run and long after.

The one-day seminar took the new ministers through other relevant areas like Foreign Intelligence Activities and the Threats to Security, Security of Information, Documents and the Operations of Government and The VIP: Enhancing Personal Protection Security and Safety.

Other papers presented were on The Anti-corruption Campaign and Crime and Society: Policing and the Current Challenges of Law Enforcement.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation Yayale Ahmed and Head of Service of the Federation Steve Oronsaye moderated the discussions.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=171311
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nchara: 3:48am On Apr 19, 2010
Nigerians have now to choose between the reforms of Soludo and those of Sanusi. We have to wait, unfortunately, until Sanusi is out of office before we see the full picture.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by SapeleGuy: 9:35am On Apr 19, 2010
Glaring truths from Gusau. You can accuse Soludo of many things but you can't accuse him of destroying the economy. That feat was achieved by Sanusi within 2 months of assuming office. That has to be some sort of record.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 19, 2010
Gusau (Government) has officially in one fell swoop passed a vote of no confidence on Sanusi. When will he make good his promise and resign?
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by otokx(m): 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2010
This is not good.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by adconline(m): 12:54pm On Apr 19, 2010
Did this man get a  "C' in economics in secondary school? Someone who could not forecast that there would religious riots in the north is not qulified to be an LG chairman let alone a national security adviser
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by princekevo(m): 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
[list]
[li]CBN had also taken other measures which include the proposed categorisation of banks and proposed scrapping of universal banking within the next 18 months, which has been condemned in some quarters.  
On anti-corruption, Gusau said: "The anti-corruption campaign has been largely considered to be ineffective and selective ,  because it penalizes a few unfortunate individuals while society see many they consider guilty enjoying their loot in freedom".
Acting President Goodluck Jonathan had earlier lamented that the anti-corruption war lacks vigour and that the crusade would be reinvigorated.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Very soon the pro-Sanusi will also come to disprove the above analysis that this time came from a top governement official. I hope AG. president Jonathan calls him back to order or better resign
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 19, 2010
adconline:

Did this man get a "C' in economics in secondary school? Someone who could not forecast that there would religious riots in the north is not qulified to be an LG chairman let alone a national security adviser

Do you want to critisize consrtuctively or are you just going to attack his person? Me I still dont seen anything wrong in what he said! undecided
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 1:36pm On Apr 19, 2010
and what does Gusau know about banking and the economy
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
Folks this debate has moved beyond economics. It is now a question of whether Government is confident in Sanusi's reforms.

Indications from Remi Babalola (Minister of State for Finance) and Aliyu Gusau says Government has lost confidence in Sanusi's abilities.

It is time for Sanusi to resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 1:53pm On Apr 19, 2010
Maybe he shd resign and let the rot continues

he inherited banks with bleak futures, took over an economy with a galloping interest rate, took over an ailing economy in short

pls, do a quick recap of the indices and lets see if the economy is worse off

maybe, losing confidence = not been able to launder money through bank CEOs

irresponsible lot and wtf did Remi Babalola do while in office?
These are chaps i know very well. They did nothing

im not saying Sanusi is 100% ok but hey, hes got to do this or else, we'll suffer later. His approaches and methods might be faulty, what the FG needs to do is work with him and make their concerns known through the Daggash, Babalola and othe knowledgeable professionals in the govt and not making spurious remarks that wont do nothn.

for months, i can do bizniz knowing fully well, the dollar will not gyrate beyond 148-151 circa, wtf are these guys talking about?
they wanna bring back round triping, authority stealing in the banks?
hell no
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
The office of CBN Governor is not for Marxists and Human Rights Activists, so the number Bank CEOs you luck up will never be a standard of measure because it is not a macro-economic index.

We can not over-emphasize this point.

We have very weak foundations and our economy needs to be nutured and grown, so do our Financial System. You can not implement stringent text book IMF regulations designed for multi-variate strong economies in ours and expect to get the same result.

Our focus should be on growth.

Government has come to this realisation due to loss of jobs.

Sanusi should go, Government has no confidence in his abilities anymore.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 2:13pm On Apr 19, 2010
i wont understand the logic in ur agument in a billion years

Sanusi shd go because a stealing govt has lost confidence or because he has 'eroded growth'?

what is growth? The nation has grown in sanusis era compared to the erstwhile regime brother!!!!!!!

what has the incarceration of Bank MDs gotta do with economic growth?

hehehehehe, i laff in spanish
u dont have a prayer bro
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by doyin13(m): 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2010
First things first. . .I find it more than a bit odd that the Security Adviser
is pontificating on Economic matters only tenuously related to Security issues.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
tkb417:

i wont understand the logic in your agument in a billion years

Sanusi shd go because a stealing govt has lost confidence or because he has 'eroded growth'?

what is growth? The nation has grown in sanusis era compared to the erstwhile regime brother!!!!!!!

what has the incarceration of Bank MDs gotta do with economic growth?

hehehehehe, i laff in spanish
u dont have a prayer bro

Everyone else in Government is stealing while Sanusi is a prophet and God's representative on earth.

Have you taken a look at what the lazy MDs Sanusi appointed have been doing?

Mistakes where made across board which needed to be corrected. It does not mean we should drag the system itself down.

Besides the mirage that the banks were on the brink of collapse before Sanusi came were made-up and has been challenged by stakeholders.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2010
But the economics of this debate don't matter anymore

Government has passed a vote of no confidence on Sanusi, he should resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2010
He claims to be a principled man.

His integrity is now under question

let us see if he will be courageous enough to resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2010
LOL!

i don tire, u dont have a basis for ur argument so im stoping here
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 19, 2010
tkb417:

LOL!

i don tire, u dont have a basis for your argument so im stoping here

you don't either

You are working on the assumption that everyone else in Government is a thief but Sanusi and that the world was coming to an end before Sanusi stepped in. For you Sanusi is a messiah and that is why it will be difficult for you to see things from other points of view.

But like I said the economics don't matter anymore. It is now a matter of confidence and integrity.

The Government has passed a no confidence vote on his ability. let him resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2010
ok, i agree grin grin
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by adconline(m): 3:11pm On Apr 19, 2010
Do you want to critisize consrtuctively or are you just going to attack his person? Me I still dont seen anything wrong in what he said

I wonder what's constructive about his statement. What credibility does this man have to criticize Sanusi? Under his watch, a lot of Nigerians had been killed because of his lack of vision. He has consistently failed to see the signs of violence in Niaja. Here is a man whose office was responsible when Mutallab Sr informed them that his son, Abdul Mutallab was on a suicide mission, he did nothing with his authority, now he's coming off to you an eminent economist even though he has clearly failed in his capacity as the Chief Security Informant.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Arkison: 3:37pm On Apr 19, 2010
adconline:

Do you want to critisize consrtuctively or are you just going to attack his person? Me I still dont seen anything wrong in what he said

I wonder what's constructive about his statement. What credibility does this man have to criticize Sanusi? Under his watch, a lot of Nigerians had been killed because of his lack of vision. He has consistently failed to see the signs of violence in Niaja. Here is a man whose office was responsible when Mutallab Sr informed them that his son, Abdul Mutallab was on a suicide mission, he did nothing with his authority, now he's coming off to you an eminent economist even though he has clearly failed in his capacity as the Chief Security Informant.

Some good thoughts here.

General Gusau, during his time as Security Adviser to Obj have not proved himself capable of containing the security situations in this country. His failure is glaring from Gusau, his hometown and the capital of Zamfara State, which is the epicentre of the religious earthquake that rocked Nigeria during Objs regime. As a security adviser, he failed in his assessment of the effect of Political-Sharia on the security, peace and unity of the country. His credentials as a Security Experts are merely exageraed.

Nevertheless, Gusau comments on Sanusi's method should stand on their own. Unless, Gusau, who have been in and out of government have some personal interest in the Nigerian banking system. After all that is what the elites do. They are involve neck deep in all shaddy deals in the banks.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by RoadStar: 3:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
And who is Gasau ?
Where was he all this while ?
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 19, 2010
Gusau's attack on CBN says a lot about the powerplay between various interest groups, who are hellbent on manipulating the Jonathan Adminstration to achieve their own selfish ends. . . Gusau belongs to the IBB camp if my memory serves me right.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by OAM4J: 4:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
tkb417:

Maybe he shd resign and let the rot continues

he inherited banks with bleak futures, took over an economy with a galloping interest rate, took over an ailing economy in short

pls, do a quick recap of the indices and lets see if the economy is worse off

maybe, losing confidence = not been able to launder money through bank CEOs

irresponsible lot and wtf did Remi Babalola do while in office?
These are chaps i know very well.  They did nothing

im not saying Sanusi is 100% ok but hey, hes got to do this or else, we'll suffer later. His approaches and methods might be faulty, what the FG needs to do is work with him and make their concerns known through the Daggash, Babalola and othe knowledgeable professionals in the govt and not making spurious remarks that wont do nothn.

for months, i can do bizniz knowing fully well, the dollar will not gyrate beyond 148-151 circa, wtf are these guys talking about?
they wanna bring back round triping, authority stealing in the banks?
hell no

The bold is exactly the problem and the reason for the no confidence vote.

He is fighting a good fight, but not in the best possible way.

the increase unemployment and lack of credit for businesses to thrive that his methods created is a big blow to the economy
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by OAM4J: 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2010
adconline:

I doubt you know Gusau.

He was not yet the NSA during Mutallab mission.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Arkison: 4:12pm On Apr 19, 2010
OAM4J:

I doubt you know Gusau.

He wasn't the NSA, but Mutallab inform him first about his fears. He didn't act on his insticts to have to boy brought back by Nigerian intelligence agencies, rather he referred to Baba Mutallab to American Embassy, which was unforturnately also manned by low level intelligent officials.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by OAM4J: 4:23pm On Apr 19, 2010
Arkison:

He wasn't the NSA, but Mutallab inform him first about his fears. He didn't act on his insticts to have to boy brought back by Nigerian intelligence agencies, rather he referred to Baba Mutallab to American Embassy, which was unforturnately also manned by low level intelligent officials.

The father had no knowledge of the exact whereabout of the son at the time he was seeking for advice.

The best advice Gusau could give at the moment was to advice the father to inform the embassy. Today that singular advice followed was the only credible thing for the nation in the whole saga.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Beaf: 4:36pm On Apr 19, 2010
OAM4J:

I doubt you know Gusau.

I was going to say the exact same thing!
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Arkison: 4:44pm On Apr 19, 2010
OAM4J:

The father had no knowledge of the exact whereabout of the son at the time he was seeking for advice.

The best advice Gusau could give at the moment was to advice the father to inform the embassy. Today that singular advice followed was the only credible thing for the nation in the whole saga.

Agreed. But what can you say about his performance during Obj, where, the security of this country degenerate to a level never know before. What is his role in: the invasion of the Nigerian army in Odi, ZakiBiam, Jalingo etc. What did he not do in the Jos crises from 2001 till 2007? What is role in the Sharia related violences that erupted from his hometown Gusau. We need to review the state of the security situation under his watch before he can be considered a security guru.

My own feelings he is a dangerous man. He has been responsible or involved in the Nations security for a number of years and he has nothing to show as success other than his 3Stars as general
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 19, 2010
I think this is the begining of the end for DOOM AND GLOOM ECONOMICS
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by OAM4J: 4:58pm On Apr 19, 2010
Arkison:

Agreed. But what can you say about his performance during Obj, where, the security of this country degenerate to a level never know before. What is his role in: the invasion of the Nigerian army in Odi, ZakiBiam, Jalingo etc. What did he not do in the Jos crises from 2001 till 2007? What is role in the Sharia related violences that erupted from his hometown Gusau. We need to review the state of the security situation under his watch before he can be considered a security guru.

My own feelings he is a dangerous man. He has been responsible or involved in the Nations security for a number of years and he has nothing to show as success other than his 3Stars as general

ok, let's leave Gusau's security performance debate till another time. I am not a security expert, but just to say quickly that there must be something about his security intelligence that has made him well sought-for, for that position by most of the administrations since IBB regime. May be some of the excesses you quoted were not his but that of Obj, it is one thing to advice and another thing to take advice.

I was only commenting on the fact that he has no blame on Mutallab mission.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

WATCH VIDEO: (the Lion Of Bourdillon) Ait’s Controversial Documentary On Tinubu’ / Breaking!! TSA Impact!! 11600 Bank Workers To Be Sacked!! / FG Sends 13,400 Bags Of Food Items To IDP Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.