Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes (21178 Views)

Health Benefits Of Eating Raw Tomatoes Regularly / Reason Why You Should Start Eating Tomatoes Today / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by IbnIbrahim: 11:46pm On Feb 04, 2018

What’s So Great About Them?

Tomatoes are loaded with a substance called lycopene. It gives them their bright red color and helps protect them from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. In much the same way, it can help protect your cells from damage. Tomatoes also have potassium, vitamins B and E, and other nutrients.

1. Immune System

Lycopene is an antioxidant -- it fights molecules called free radicals that can damage your cells and affect your immune system. Because of that, foods high in lycopene, like tomatoes, may make you less likely to have lung, stomach, or prostate cancer. Some research shows they might help prevent the disease in the pancreas, colon, throat, mouth, breast, and cervix as well.

2. Heart

Lycopene also may help lower your levels of LDL, or “bad” cholesterol, as well as your blood pressure. And that may lower your chances of heart disease. Other nutrients in tomatoes, like vitamins B and E and antioxidants called flavonoids, may boost your heart health, too.

3. Eyes

Tomatoes have substances called lutein and zeaxanthin that may help protect your eyes from the blue light made by digital devices like smartphones and computers. They also may help keep your eyes from feeling tired and ease headaches from eyestrain. And some research shows they may even make you less likely to have a more serious form of the leading cause of blindness in the U.S.: age-related macular degeneration.

4. Lungs

Some studies show that tomatoes may be helpful for people who have asthma and may help prevent emphysema, a condition that slowly damages the air sacs in your lungs. That may be because lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, among other antioxidants, fight the harmful substances in tobacco smoke, which is the leading cause of emphysema. Scientists are trying to learn more about those effects.

5. Blood Vessels

Getting more tomatoes into your diet may make you less likely to have a stroke, which is when blood flow gets cut off to a part of your brain. Studies suggest that they may ease inflammation, boost your immune system, lower your cholesterol levels, and keep your blood from clotting. All those things may help prevent strokes.

6. Oral Health

Studies have shown that lycopene may help with the gum diseases gingivitis and periodontitis in the same way it may help prevent cancer -- by fighting free radicals. But eating lots of raw tomatoes can damage the enamel on your teeth -- thanks to the high amount of acid -- and brushing soon afterward can make that worse. It’s a good idea to wait at least 30 minutes before you brush

7. Skin
You know hats and sunscreen can help shield you from the sun. Well, the lycopene in tomatoes may do something for that, too, possibly in the same way it protects tomatoes. But you don’t put it on your skin -- it works on your cells from the inside.

http://www.hotproforum.com/topic923.html

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by yanabasee(m): 11:48pm On Feb 04, 2018
I don't miss it on my salad......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by free2ryhme: 10:34am On Feb 05, 2018
IbnIbrahim:

What’s So Great About Them?

Tomatoes are loaded with a substance called lycopene. It gives them their bright red color and helps protect them from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. In much the same way, it can help protect your cells from damage. Tomatoes also have potassium, vitamins B and E, and other nutrients.

1. Immune System

Lycopene is an antioxidant -- it fights molecules called free radicals that can damage your cells and affect your immune system. Because of that, foods high in lycopene, like tomatoes, may make you less likely to have lung, stomach, or prostate cancer. Some research shows they might help prevent the disease in the pancreas, colon, throat, mouth, breast, and cervix as well.

2. Heart

Lycopene also may help lower your levels of LDL, or “bad” cholesterol, as well as your blood pressure. And that may lower your chances of heart disease. Other nutrients in tomatoes, like vitamins B and E and antioxidants called flavonoids, may boost your heart health, too.

3. Eyes

Tomatoes have substances called lutein and zeaxanthin that may help protect your eyes from the blue light made by digital devices like smartphones and computers. They also may help keep your eyes from feeling tired and ease headaches from eyestrain. And some research shows they may even make you less likely to have a more serious form of the leading cause of blindness in the U.S.: age-related macular degeneration.

4. Lungs

Some studies show that tomatoes may be helpful for people who have asthma and may help prevent emphysema, a condition that slowly damages the air sacs in your lungs. That may be because lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, among other antioxidants, fight the harmful substances in tobacco smoke, which is the leading cause of emphysema. Scientists are trying to learn more about those effects.

5. Blood Vessels

Getting more tomatoes into your diet may make you less likely to have a stroke, which is when blood flow gets cut off to a part of your brain. Studies suggest that they may ease inflammation, boost your immune system, lower your cholesterol levels, and keep your blood from clotting. All those things may help prevent strokes.

6. Oral Health

Studies have shown that lycopene may help with the gum diseases gingivitis and periodontitis in the same way it may help prevent cancer -- by fighting free radicals. But eating lots of raw tomatoes can damage the enamel on your teeth -- thanks to the high amount of acid -- and brushing soon afterward can make that worse. It’s a good idea to wait at least 30 minutes before you brush

7. Skin
You know hats and sunscreen can help shield you from the sun. Well, the lycopene in tomatoes may do something for that, too, possibly in the same way it protects tomatoes. But you don’t put it on your skin -- it works on your cells from the inside.

http://www.hotproforum.com/topic923.html

is it the raw tomatoes or the fired ( cooked ) tomatoes as stew

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by 69MissedCalls(m): 10:34am On Feb 05, 2018
Ehen I talk am. But when I dey chop am raw with onions dem dey look me like mad man sad

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by Donald7610: 10:35am On Feb 05, 2018
Raw Tomatoes are not Mild enough for Ulcer Patient
Beware of Ulcer

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by maxiuc(m): 10:35am On Feb 05, 2018
I don't have time to start ulcer treatment now

2 Likes

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by DrRasheed: 10:36am On Feb 05, 2018
Tomatoes are good for the above listed yet Carrot is better.
Eat Carrots if you fine tomatoes weird.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by Britishcoins(m): 10:36am On Feb 05, 2018
I eats a lot of them, that is why I love cutting them before blending it gives me a lot of opportunity to select and eats the most healthy one among them
Team vegetarians

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by satowind(m): 10:37am On Feb 05, 2018
With out the reasons I luv eating fresh tomatoes. All these are just bonus
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by simonlee(m): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2018
i totally agree with you OP but the problem now is that we nigerians literally kill that *lycopene* with our cooking methods before the food is even ready for consumption. Imaging boiling the grounded tomatoes for hours before deep frying it in adulterated oil and you're still expecting any intending nutrient to remain active
I just taya for my country people o sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by chyckxx(m): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2018
I love eating the fresh fruits.

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by IbnIbrahim: 10:38am On Feb 05, 2018
free2ryhme:

is it the raw tomatoes or the fired ( cooked ) tomatoes as stew

Some eat it as raw on salad, roasted meat or as stew. Anyway it is consumed, it nourishes the body
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by maxinz: 10:39am On Feb 05, 2018
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by rawpadgin(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2018
Can't stop eating raw tomatoes. Been eating it since i was a teen

2 Likes

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by akeentech(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2018
The only reason I eat tomato is because of easy flow of blood to P... when needed

2 Likes

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2018
Why is prostrate, breast and cervical cancers the most prevalent form of cancer in Nigeria? Is it because men and women excessively engage in too much *** activities
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by winzy(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2018
Can I mix with cold orijin?

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by IbnIbrahim: 10:40am On Feb 05, 2018
satowind:
With out the reasons I luv eating fresh tomatoes. All these are just bonus

Really! grin
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by IbnIbrahim: 10:40am On Feb 05, 2018
winzy:
Bros, you are on your own!
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by satowind(m): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2018
IbnIbrahim:

Really! grin
yeap
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by simonlee(m): 10:47am On Feb 05, 2018
winzy:
Something is really doing you and i'm suspecting your village people sad
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by madridguy(m): 10:49am On Feb 05, 2018
Do you mean raw tomatoes trigger ulcer?

Donald7610:
Raw Tomatoes are not Mild enough for Ulcer Patient
Beware of Ulcer

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by pointstores(m): 10:58am On Feb 05, 2018
okk
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by nazablossom(f): 11:01am On Feb 05, 2018
I love eating raw tomatoes.when I was younger, I like to be in charge of grounding tomatoes so that I can eat it as I want.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by yomalex(m): 11:14am On Feb 05, 2018
nice
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by afripost1: 11:14am On Feb 05, 2018
Let’s Implement the Most Effective ONLINE MARKETING for your BRAND, BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION

Online advertising and marketing campaigns are crucial to organizations that require effective promotional mix. We help organizations sift through the dizzying array of options to design a comprehensive online marketing strategy. The bottom line is gaining new customers and to service existing customers.

We understand the technologies that will help you target audiences and we can help you design and deploy online display ads, social media management/engagements and managing pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns

• Twitter Trending
• Social Media Management
• Email Marketing & Automation
• Onsite and Offsite SEO Implementation
• FB Paid Ad Marketing
• Google Adwords
• Blogs Syndication
• PR/Sponsor Stories
• Forums Paid Ads & Management
• Marketplaces Paid Ads
• PLUS MUCH MORE

Contact 08125121617 NOW to get Online Marketing that gets you results Started!

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by Galaticos444: 11:15am On Feb 05, 2018
chukwu567:
Bet with confidence, let keep winning each time my fixed is out
d mod won't ban dis scammer but rather he will ban dose dat ar against bbnaija

1 Like

Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by thunderbabs: 11:17am On Feb 05, 2018
D problem is for you to get red n round gud lookin tomatoes, it depends on where you live. cheesy

Only those living in Maitama in Abuja like me can relate. And those living in Alapere, Ketu can also relate grin
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by thunderbabs: 11:17am On Feb 05, 2018
chukwu567:
Bet with confidence, let keep winning each time my fixed is out

Scam
Re: 7 Juicy Reasons To Eat Tomatoes by omoadeleye(m): 11:41am On Feb 05, 2018
I have already cultivated the habbit of eating it raw

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Worst Injuries You Have Had, Share Your Experiences / Prevent Coronavirus From Getting To Nigeria - Senate Says FG Not Doing Enough / Ebola Cannot Be Contracted By Eating Bush Meat- Yewande Adeshina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.