Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? (1285 Views)

Help Nairalanders, My Farm Is Going Down / Please Is Planting Of Beans Really Profitable? / How To Cultivate Melon (egusi) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Fetegaloreevent: 4:37pm On Feb 06, 2018
I acquired a 10 acre farm recently, I have learnt about how Hausa men scramble to buy pawpaw from Farmers. Is it really true or just another fable in nigeria.
Thank you
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Fetegaloreevent: 7:40pm On Feb 06, 2018
Help ooo
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Ken4agent(m): 8:20pm On Feb 06, 2018
Fetegaloreevent:
Help ooo

As for me, no crop is not profitable. The profit may just be relative base on type of crop, market forces, quality of yield etc.

All I may advise you do:
1 is do your visibility study on the crop you intend cultivating to know if it demand is high
2. I will advise you grow the duwaf pawpaw as it grow round the season. This will eneble sell your pawpaw at peak period when it expensive. If you grow the local once, they produce fruit only for a period and stop to resumed fruit production later
3. More importantly, do a soil analysis of that 10acres you intend to use for growing your pawpaw. Because there are some essential nutrient that must be present in the soil to ensure your crop don't die off at puberty....speaking from experience

Best of luck
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Fetegaloreevent: 12:04am On Feb 07, 2018
Ken4agent:

As for me, no crop is not profitable. The profit may just be relative base on type of crop, market forces, quality of yield etc.

All I may advise you do:
1 is do your visibility study on the crop you intend cultivating to know if it demand is high
2. I will advise you grow the duwaf pawpaw as it grow round the season. This will eneble sell your pawpaw at peak period when it expensive. If you grow the local once, they produce fruit only for a period and stop to resumed fruit production later
3. More importantly, do a soil analysis of that 10acres you intend to use for growing your pawpaw. Because there are some essential nutrient that must be present in the soil to ensure your crop don't die off at puberty....speaking from experience

Best of luck
Thanks alot.... Problem with soil testing is that u can only pick soil from 3 or 4 places in the land. However, the soil composition might be different in 10 or 15 other spots so at the end it's like a waste of money.
Thank you once again
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Ken4agent(m): 9:24am On Feb 07, 2018
Fetegaloreevent:

Thanks alot.... Problem with soil testing is that u can only pick soil from 3 or 4 places in the land. However, the soil composition might be different in 10 or 15 other spots so at the end it's like a waste of money.
Thank you once again

Make no mistakes about soil analysis. If we handle the soil sampling professionally, be rest assured you gonna get the exert picture of your soil fertility.

When sampling a soil for analysis, you can pick up to 20 soil samples mixed together to form a representative soil of your farmland. However, you do not just pick at rondom, rather you pick soil base on:
1. Soil colour
2. Soil profile and topography
3. Vegetated area
4. Area near to stream
5. Avoid piking from area that has been used previously for mixing cement, fertilizer or refuse dump etc.
On each of the above area, u may pick up to 2soil samples. But if your soil appear to be homogenous in physical appearance, trust me just 2-3 samples will do.

Reason the Doctor takes your blood sample for screaming and not all the blood in your system and result is still valid.

Don't mind my long story, kenfarm is an advocate of soil fertility testing

Cheers!
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Prosperousman(m): 8:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
before venturing into pawpaw plantation, it is advisable to do your marketing proper such that the harvest does not perish. pawpaw is highly perishable, so the earlier it is sold, the better for the farmer.
Re: I Want To Cultivate A 10 Acre Pawpaw (papaya) Farm. Is It Really Profitable? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 22, 2018
Fetegaloreevent:
I acquired a 10 acre farm recently, I have learnt about how Hausa men scramble to buy pawpaw from Farmers. Is it really true or just another fable in nigeria.
Thank you
The demand for fruits generally is high. A trailer load of papaya from Edo State gets finished in hours in Lokoja.
The hybrid dwarf variety sells out faster than the local variety because of the taste and all year production.

(1) (Reply)

Super Gro Best Liquid Fertilizer For Catfish ,poultry And Cash Crops / WOW! Cheap Assorted Meat, Beef & Goat Meat, It Doesn't Get Cheaper Than This. / Catfish Farming Business Secrets (series 6) Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.