Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? (1186 Views)

Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. / Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? / Bald Head Man Rocking Dreadlocks Shows Off Swag (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by mikrizz: 2:39pm On Feb 07, 2018
Note: This Thread is meant to create awareness and Change All those people who still Believe Dreadlocks Are voodoo-related.

I have two Brothers And We are all deadheads.
Being the Last Of the trio,I was the Last To Really Feel the effects of this Stigma.We were all born and grew up in Abuja.During the Come up,I've Had People say I should cut my Hair or else No good will come my path.
To be honest I thought that was all talk and wondered how these people still live by such ideals,
UNTIL now.

In 2013 My Eldest Brother was In His Final year At One Of this Nation's respected Public Universities.He always complained to our parents that they was this Lecturer Who Was always Telling Him to cut his Hair or else He won't graduate.Believe it or Not we all thought It was all talk but We was Wrong.He didn't get to graduate that year.
Why?
This lecturer failed him In A course which he felt he Should've Passed.
Dad and Mom had to Go to The University to confront This man BUT he was firm and refused.
Believe it or Not It was so Serious that my parent had to sue this Lecturer.We won the Case though and the lecturer had to pay Certain Compensations.This Happened when I was Just 12.

In 2015 Jerome (my other Brother) also got admission (into a different public Uni)after passing JAMB for the 2nd time. He also faced the same Issue with not one But two Lecturers.They always Had him Leave the class BECAUSE of his Hair.My parents Were not Happy With All this Stigma at all,But this time Jerome had to Cut his Hair because He didn't want his grades to be tampered with.

Now I'm almost a Freshmen.
Still In The middle Of my Clearance And These Lecturers And Staffs Won't Stop frowning each time i Walk in their offices. cry cry

Pls if you happen to be One of those persons who frown at people with dreadlocks.
We respect your Beliefs...
But pls don't forget Racism and Hate can Be carved and this is Just one of the Many forms.
Please don't deprive us the Love that should be shared evenly cry
Re: Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by stefanweeks: 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2018
In Nigeria you must conform to public/popular opinions

I dont get it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by Jj222(f): 3:20pm On Feb 07, 2018
Dreadlocks rule and it rock. I can never cut mine .don't give a Bleep. Am so happy when People admire my hair and ask if its my real hair. Long dreadlocks all the way it makes you look natural.
Re: Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by Penalty82(m): 3:23pm On Feb 07, 2018
Jj222:
Dreadlocks rule and it rock. I can never cut mine .don't give a Bleep. Am so happy when People admire my hair and ask if its my real hair. Long dreadlocks all the way it makes you look natural.

Dreadlock is the PIN of a mad man.
Re: Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by mikrizz: 11:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
Penalty82:

Dreadlock is the PIN of a mad man.

No That Is Wrong.
If a Mad man Is what u see each u see a dreadhead then sorry to say You may have Vision problems.
Mad men are obviously Dirty and are MAD.

Pls I Indulge you to stop this Stigma.
It really hurts us.
Re: Why Are Dreadlocks Still Stigmatized In Nigeria? by twind111(f): 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2018
I feel your pain bro..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Start A Customized Jewelry Business With Zero Capital / Latest African Fashion Style 2019 / ⭐⭐⭐Quality Shoe At Unbeatable Price⭐⭐⭐

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.