Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26563 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 6:14pm On Mar 05, 2007
Certain footballers have a fearsome reputation that has no connection with reality.I constantly have to wonder what all the fuss is about

Wayne Rooney springs to mind.He has not had a good consistent performance since Euro 2004 but yet is constantly hailed as if he is the new Pele(witness England's agonisation over his potential abscence in the last World Cup)

Sure he scores some spectacular goals but has yet to perform consistently over an entire season

Deco of Barcelona is another media hype.That man is a shadow of his former self in his early days at Porto when he used to score plenty of goals.I even thought his performance under Mourinho was not as good as is made out now.He was much better before Mourinho became manager of Porto .

Fabregas!That boy is as deadly in front of goal as Emile Hesky yet is hailed as the new Guardiola.His ball winning skills are non-existent and he is one of the prime reasons Arse-anal are in 4th place

There are plenty of others but these are my top 3
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by mukina2: 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2007
wayne rooney
wayne rooney
wayne rooney

more later angry
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by shakamc(m): 9:00pm On Mar 05, 2007
rooney
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 10:54pm On Mar 05, 2007
David Beckham by miles he is more popular for his looks and celebrity status than the game he plays

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sharetroll(m): 11:05pm On Mar 05, 2007
Most overrated NFL player has to be Michael Vick.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 12:03am On Mar 06, 2007
How can any sane mind point at Fabregas and call him overrated? BTW sha since its coming 4rm 4play I aint surprised!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by enigmatic: 2:21am On Mar 06, 2007
beck
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 1:25pm On Mar 06, 2007
Fabregas has scored only 3 goals all season and has no defensive abilities.No wonder the Spanish press wanted him to lose his starting place and the Coach obliged

The boy is overated.He is having a good run over the past 3 months and suddenly Arse-anal fans think he has arrived
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Abdblues(m): 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2007
Fabregas has a whole lot of talent/experience for a player of his age, further more i think the future is also very bright for him. Is he over-rated??I dont think so, aside from the too much hype by some Arsenal fanatics, i think the boy has performed above what is expected of a player his age. As for Rooney, yeah i think he is over rated!as a matter of fact, most british players are
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2007
4play, what is ur definition or description of an over-rated footballer?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Hugoboi(m): 4:39pm On Mar 06, 2007
Didier Drogba is a perfect definition!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by nightrider: 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2007
The three most overrated footballers on the planet come from Manchester United

1. Wayne Rooney, fabulous player, but only on a good day. He is not as good as everyone says he is. He couldn't lick owen's boots anyday.

2. Cristiano Ronaldo- Another fabulous player, but just cause he's having a good saeson , those pricks at barcelona are comparing him to ronaldinho. Ronaldo ain't shit. Fantastic but still has a lot to learn.

3. Michael carrick- need i say more. 18million worth of shite.

then

4. Lionel Messi- another argentine flash in the pan. He'll probably do the way of all other argentine " next maradona's" Saviola, Palermo, veron , carlos tevez.

5. John Mikel Obi- i don't what has happened to that boy, but right now he certainly ain't worth the dough abramovich shelled out for him.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by debosky(m): 6:22pm On Mar 06, 2007
I disagree Ronaldo may have been hyped early on, but his performances this season have been nothing short of stellar, he is an incredible talent, not the same as ronaldinho, but excellent all the same

Wayne Rooney is definitely overrated,

So was Julio Baptista, before he moved to real and arsenal, now the hype has gone down - lots of power but little accuracy

Denilson (not the one at arsenal) the most expensive footballer of his time who went to Real Betis. he flopped so bad now he plays somewhere in the middleeast. all the guy could do was a set of step overs, nothing more
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by zigbo(f): 6:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
it has to be beckham, he is highly overated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 6:28pm On Mar 06, 2007
Beckham of which year please?

This is highly embarrassing to say Becksy was over rated. Forget
the United connection, if there is any player that has proved himself
over again, it is DAVID.

Most of you that said he is over rated, when did you start watching the
Premiership? Maybe that will let us know your mindset  embarassed

I also beg to disagree that the likes of Fabregas, Messi and Ronaldo are over-rated.

We may have to wait for some seasons to know if they are a flash in the pan,
but for now, they are proving themselves and they are VERY YOUNG! May be we
should focus on those who have been touted to be this and that years ago and they
are nowhere NOW! wink
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by rikkyjen(m): 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2007
The word overrated is an understatement to use for Mikel obi and Baptista. Duhhhh, when he was to move to madrid, the word "beast" was used as if he has come to clear the augean stable at madrid. Alas, he was and is shitty at Arsenal too. forget those bout of goals at the carling and Fa cup.

Our own mikel obi is suppose to be in cape-verde plying his trade or better still in the war torn city of Khartoum. His lateral and sideway passes that charcterises his game would make Baba Alex and david gill smile for having 16million quids just like that. Obi was thought to be the next big thing after Etim esin, alas it seems the stage is too big for him. Forget those Jose's hype. Jose is known for his public tap mouth.

Wazza overrated? I think this season has made him look overrated. U cant question his workrate, assists et al, but the duties of a striker is to poach goals which he has failed to live to expectation this season, but ignore wazza at your own peril!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by debosky(m): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2007
Wazza is overrated, 27million pounds for a striker means he gets you at least 18-20 a season, the dude hasnt scored in the CL since 04 what else does overrated need?

Mikel was overrated, but more importantly, he was greedy he will not develop at chelsea and that is what will kill his game. MU wdve done him a world of good, but he chose money first. what a pity
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 7:48pm On Mar 06, 2007
I don't think Mikel counts yet .He has not had a full season in which to judge.

Fabregas for me fits the bill.He has the potential to be a great player in the future but as things stand today,he does not justify the hype sorrounding him.

His future potential has no bearing to his current level of performance.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by debosky(m): 9:14pm On Mar 06, 2007
fabregas has the highest number of assists in the premiership, and has scored three - he's 20 yrs old and didnt cost 27million pounds, thats a fair return if you ask me. he's not overrated, there is a fair amount of hype about him no doubt, but he more often than not lives up to it.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by spade: 11:25pm On Mar 06, 2007
Mikel Obi is definitely overrated. Sure he started well and was thought to emerge better than Okocha but somewhere along the line, that didn't happen. His much hyped arrival at chelsea has been nothing better than Z-list gameplay. That guy is clearly a piece of shite(shit). I think the main reason he was bought was because Abramovich just wanted to spend some cash. He has not shown respect to his coach and acts like he can do everything. I just think people are making so much noise for that piece of garbage. angry
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 11:33pm On Mar 06, 2007
Ewwww
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by CrazyMan(m): 11:49pm On Mar 06, 2007
David beckham is over rated.
Why should one even consider giving beckham a million dollars?
What has he contributed in football? angry
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 07, 2007
errrr those who say Mikel is over rated, pls get the tapes of the Chelsea - Porto second leg.

Most over rated footballer? That award has to go to Wayne "white pele" Rooney. 27 million pounds of aggression with little skill.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by CrazyMan(m): 1:48am On Mar 07, 2007
David am disappointed in you.
You’re saying Rooney has little skills? can you compare Rooney with any Premiership player of his age? just name any you know that plays quality football the way Rooney does.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 07, 2007
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 07, 2007
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 1:52am On Mar 07, 2007
Rio Ferdinand over rated? na wa o. i'm not a Man U fan but his partnership with Nemanja Vidic is second to none in the premiership.
Shawn Right Phillips is an over rated average player with plenty of aimless pace. no end product. Chelsea exposed him.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by debosky(m): 2:10am On Mar 07, 2007
SWP - overrated, or more appropriately overvalued, hasn't delivered a tenth of what chelsea paid for him, another example of greed over footballing aspirations.

he is simply the english pius ikedia - runs all day long with no end product, just look at the sitter he missed 2 yards in front of goal on saturday
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 2:18am On Mar 07, 2007
grin grin grin
English version of Pius Ikedia. Hit the nail on the head! So much running but a massive waste of space. He doesnt want to leave Chelsea because that would mean the end of his chance at any English top club and any shot at an England call up.

Even Mourinho appears to trust Lassana Diara, Mikel and Kalou well ahead of him. Poor fellow, some tell him to return to Man City
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 2:24am On Mar 07, 2007
Or maybe West Ham as had been speculated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 2:30am On Mar 07, 2007
or perhaps joining Francis Jeffers (remember him? One time England white pele and fox in the box player!) at Ipswich Town.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 2:37am On Mar 07, 2007
Wicked David!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Betting Is After MY LIFE / NFF Chairman, Super Eagles Players Visit Babajide Sanwo-Olu / Liverpool Join Sevilla, Others In Race For Onuachu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.