|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,773,509 members, 6,605,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 01:22 AM
|Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2018|
In the harmattan season, while living in one of the Northern States of Nigeria where temperature can drop to as low as 18 degrees Celsius at night, I can remember using polythene bags to cover all the windows. At least, if that is strange, you can remember wearing cardigan, a sweatshirt as well as sleep under a duvet to keep yourself warm during the cold seasons. But, what do you do in times when the temperature hits as high as 45 degrees Celsius?
Well, before you tell me to put on my Air Conditioner, I want to remind you that I am a Nigerian and in this part of the country, there is hardly electricity and even when there is, the power is far too low to charge even my laptop a times. Coping with a hot weather is way too difficult than coping with a cold weather – at least to most Nigerians who cannot afford electricity all the time in their house.
Here are a few tricks that can help you stay alive (free of meningitis) as well as have a goodnight sleep during the hot weather.
1. Avoid polyester materials: Most of us have our underwear made of polyester. This time is not the time to wear such. Embrace more of light cotton materials that absorb less heat and enhance ventilation. This applies to your bed covers as well.
2. Sleep Loose: Wear loose shirts and clothes only (if you must wear clothes). Avoid tight jean and thick shirts. Remember even your loose dresses should be mostly made of cotton.
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 8:58pm On Feb 07, 2018|
3. Be creative: Don’t just think you are going to have a different night if you keep doing things the same way. For instance, you may often have to consider positioning your standing fan in such a way that it pushes out the hot air in the room instead of just directing the air to yourself at night. You may have to moisten your clothes, cover yourself with it and direct the fan to blow on you directly. This can keep you cool for at least a while. If your bed has been positioned at the side of the room that the sun directly hits the wall, you may have to re-position your bed. Whatever you choose to do, just be creative!
4. Be extra-creative: Well, this may be related to the third trick but… remember the extra means a lot. For instance, get a flat tray filled with ice and let your standing fan blow over the cool air. I know electricity is a luxury in most towns across Nigeria but if you are the rural area, go under the huts. They are super cool. The Tivs know that better.
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 9:00pm On Feb 07, 2018|
5. Be a lonewolf: Yes! This is not the time for the business of gumming body. Learn to sleep in less congested rooms and alone on your bed. The fewer you are in the room, the better.
6. Keep hydrated: If there is a way to keep your engine cool, it is by taking plenty of fluid. Drink plenty of water. Remember the human body needs water more than it needs solid food.
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 9:02pm On Feb 07, 2018|
7. Unplug your electrical appliance at night: a little heat from your laptop, a little heat from your home theatre, a little heat from the decoder and some more from the TV will end up increasing your room temperature. Keep them in check. Completely turn off all lights or use energy-saving light bulbs only.
8. Shower more frequent: I know some persons are buying water but this is not the time to be stingy to yourself. Get to shower regularly to keep your body temperature in check.
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 9:03pm On Feb 07, 2018|
9. Stay out (if need be): Sometimes, the only way is to stay out with a little mattress or a camp bed and sleep outside. But before you do that, make sure there are no Badoo boys around or petty thieves. This is recommended if your area is secured and fenced.
10. Get naked: This may sound crazy but this will go a long way making you feel a lot better.
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by fudder: 9:06pm On Feb 07, 2018|
Very nice love it, great tips
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Homeboiy: 9:53pm On Feb 07, 2018|
Upon say rain fall today
The heat is increasing
I have done 7 of all u wrote but no solution
|Re: Top 10 Ways To Stay Cool During The Hot Weather Without AC by Enskynelson(m): 9:57pm On Feb 07, 2018|
Maybe you are alive and healthy cos you do those 7. The tips only help you manage the situation.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53