Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland (3300 Views)

Bay Leaves And Olive Oil Work Magic: How To Use Them / Avoid Ewedu When Taking Some Antibiotics —scientists / Parmanently Get Rid Of Infections Without Antibiotics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland by michenry07(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
When used correctly, antibiotics are extremely useful and important medicines. They fight certain infections and diseases caused by bacteria. Well-known antibiotics are penicillin, tetracycline, streptomycin, and chloramphenicol. In this book the sulfa drugs, or sulfonamides, are also considered as antibiotics.

The different antibiotics work in different ways against specific infections. All antibiotics have danger in their use, but some are far more dangerous than others. Great care must be taken in the choice and use of antibiotics.

There are many kinds of antibiotics, and each kind is sold under several brand names’. This can be confusing. However, the most important antibiotics fall into a few major groups:

Antibiotics group examples of brand names
(Generic name)
PENCILINS Pen-V-K
AMPICILLINS Penbritin
TETRACYCLINES Terramycin
SULFONAMIDES Gantrisin
STRETOMYCIN Ambistryn
CHLORAMPHENICOL Chloromycetin
ERYTHROMYCIN Erythrocin

Note: Ampicillin is a type of penicillin that kills more kinds of bacteria than ordinary penicillins.
If you have a brand-name antibiotic and do not know which group it belongs too, try to read the fine print on the bottle or box.
Never use an antibiotic unless you know what group it belongs too, what diseases it fights, and the precautions you must take to use it safely.

GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF ALL ANTIBIOTICS
• If you do not exactly know how to use antibiotic and what infections it can be used for, do not use it.
• Use only antibiotics that are recommended for the infection you wish to treat.
• Know the risks in using the antibiotic and take all the recommend precautions.
• Use the antibiotics only in the recommended dose-no more, no less. The dose depends on the illness and the age or weight of the sick person.
• Keep using the antibiotics until the illness is completely cured, or for at least 2days after the fever and other signs of infection have gone. ( Some illness, like tuberculosis and leprosy, need to be treated for many months or years after the person feel better. Follow the instructions for each illness.)
• If the antibiotic causes a skin rash, itching, difficult breathing or any serious reactions, the person must stop using it and never use it again.
http://myworldexpert..com/2018/02/antibiotics-what-they-are-and-how-to.html

Re: Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland by OMNIVIRUS(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2018
Thanks for specifying that if you do not know the infection don't take antibiotics. Some maybe obtained OTC, pls don't use without being sure of the infection.

Antibiotics resistance is very rampant and its giving medical personnel issue across the world.
Re: Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland by michenry07(m): 3:44pm On Feb 09, 2018
yes its a serious issue, that's why we must be careful with kind of drugs we're using
Re: Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland by Rampas: 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2018
OMNIVIRUS:
Thanks for specifying that if you do not know the infection don't take antibiotics. Some maybe obtained OTC, pls don't use without being sure of the infection. Try to buy Doxycycline 100mg or 200mg online without prescription but be careful with the dosage!

Antibiotics resistance is very rampant and its giving medical personnel issue across the world.

I absolutely agree with you, because antibiotics are such a specific thing that you can both help and harm!
Re: Antibiotics: What They Are And How To Use Them By Nairaland by StrRock: 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
I am categorically against the use of antibiotics because despite the fact that they save our lives, they are very harmful and completely kill human immunity. I would recommend using antibiotics only as a last resort. Recently, I had problems with the gastrointestinal tract and my doctor suggested that I use antibiotics for a quick recovery, but I categorically refused this. Then he said that I can try probiotics and told me about p3om probiotic. I decided to learn more about this medicine on the Internet and found a very detailed review. P3-OM is a probiotic supplement that destroys all harmful bacteria and increases the number of beneficial ones to improve a person’s overall health and well-being. In the end, this miracle cure helped me get rid of digestive problems!

(1) (Reply)

Dr Pls! I Need Effective Drug To Cure Candida Albicans Infection. / Smokers Are Liable To Die Young. And Your Still Smoking? / Eczema Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.