Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? (10302 Views)

Living Wraith Or 'akudaya', In Yoruba Traditional Belief; Myth Or Reality? / Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart / A Thread Of My Questions To Vaxx on his religion - Yoruba Traditional belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 4:24pm On Feb 10, 2018
You guys are both right, and I have actually known this information for a while because I have studied the Yoruba language for sometime now. Don’t worry, I know a lot about the talking drum as well, but I’m just wondering what the different parts of it are called in the Yoruba language.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
E kaale!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by orisa37: 8:49am On Feb 11, 2018
There is "Orun-Apadi" where Esu is the Chief Host.
There is "Orun-Apapandodo" where Alaroye is the Chief Priest.
There is The Main, The Main where Olodumare is The Supreme Spirit and The Chief Host of all The "Oruns".

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FMCASH(m): 10:53am On Feb 11, 2018
Expatiate
orisa37:
There is The Main, The Main where Olodumare is The Supreme Spirit and The Chief Host of all The "Oruns".
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 8:15pm On Feb 11, 2018
orisa37:
I don't understand this.....
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
Hey, let's continue this thread! I enjoy the people I'm talking to on hear and think you all have a lot of cool and really interesting information to share!
Does the Yoruba ancestral realm have a sort of description like Heaven? Is it beautiful and big and sparkling? Or does it look just like Earth or the realm where the normal humans live? I'm sorry, I just find this so awesome, and since I'm a huge fantasy writer I'd really love to incorperate traditional Yoruba mythology and spiritual concepts into some stories I write.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by 4amorc(m): 8:27pm On Feb 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNNH_sDsBQ

"The First Temple Degree Illustrated Part 1 as given in the Lodge - Rosicrucian Order AMORC Initiation"
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Hey, let's continue this thread! I enjoy the people I'm talking to on hear and think you all have a lot of cool and really interesting information to share!
Does the Yoruba ancestral realm have a sort of description like Heaven? Is it beautiful and big and sparkling? Or does it look just like Earth or the realm where the normal humans live? I'm sorry, I just find this so awesome, and since I'm a huge fantasy writer I'd really love to incorperate traditional Yoruba mythology and spiritual concepts into some stories I write.
Nothing like heaven or hell in yoruba traditional believe....The concept of orun apadi and orun rere is liking to Abarahamic believe that was introduce into Yoruba society.our believe evolve around these 16 truth i listed below.

1 This is a benevolent universe created by a benevolent oludumare

2 fear comes from ramifications of short time thinking,with long time thinking. you need have no fear.

3 There is a single creative force olodumare

4 Waiting to transition with judgmental GOD and a non existence devil. steals your future.

5 It is your birthright to be joyful , successful and be loved.

6 Personal empowerment is the path of success and fulfillment.

7 You are part of the universe in a never ending symbiotic relationship.

8 Character determines the outcome

9 All supremacy is evil

10 You must never initiate harm to another human being

11 You must never harm the universe of which you are part

12 Discrimination is personally and culturally destructive.

13 Diversity is the template of olodumare(GOD)creation.

14 You select your destiny.

15 Divination provides a road map to your destiny.

16 You can not fix things. you must repair what is actually causing the problem.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 9:13pm On Feb 13, 2018
vaxx:
Nothing like heaven or hell in yoruba traditional believe....The concept of orun apadi and orun rere is liking to Abarahamic believe that was introduce into Yoruba society.our believe evolve around these 16 truth i listed below.

1 This is a benevolent universe created by a benevolent oludumare

2 fear comes from ramifications of short time thinking,with long time thinking. you need have no fear.

3 There is a single creative force olodumare

4 Waiting to transition with judgmental GOD and a non existence devil. steals your future.

5 It is your birthright to be joyful , successful and be loved.

6 Personal empowerment is the path of success and fulfillment.

7 You are part of the universe in a never ending symbiotic relationship.

8 Character determines the outcome

9 All supremacy is evil

10 You must never initiate harm to another human being

11 You must never harm the universe of which you are part

12 Discrimination is personally and culturally destructive.

13 Diversity is the template of olodumare(GOD)creation.

14 You select your destiny.

15 Divination provides a road map to your destiny.

16 You can not fix things. you must repair what is actually causing the problem.

Interesting! Is this from the Ifa Foundation? I actually was on that site for some time looking at a lot of their posts and found them very cool.

I never really suggested there was any Heaven or Hell, but I thought that there was some kind of realm where the ancestors of people would go if they were decreed as such. If that's the case, what does it look like?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 10:13pm On Feb 13, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Interesting! Is this from the Ifa Foundation? I actually was on that site for some time looking at a lot of their posts and found them very cool.

I never really suggested there was any Heaven or Hell, but I thought that there was some kind of realm where the ancestors of people would go if they were decreed as such. If that's the case, what does it look like?
No it is from sacread forest..... Ifa foundation is down now currently...... Basically theyvare both saying the same thing
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 12:39am On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
No it is from sacread forest..... Ifa foundation is down now currently...... Basically theyvare both saying the same thing
Awww, that sucks. Well hopefully they'll start back up again.

Just so you're aware my timezone is way behind yours so don't think I'm just writing at 12:38 AM! LOL
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:40am On Feb 14, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Awww, that sucks. Well hopefully they'll start back up again.

Just so you're aware my timezone is way behind yours so don't think I'm just writing at 12:38 AM! LOL
I see
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 7:42am On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
I see

What makes one qualified for reincarnation or is it for everyone? or is it arbitrary?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:56am On Feb 14, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What makes one qualified for reincarnation or is it for everyone? or is it arbitrary?
every souls will be reincarnated....... Every human is qualify.

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 8:06am On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
every souls will be reincarnated....... Every human is qualify.

So I'm still gonna live another life? would I have the memory of this life in my next life? And shat are you views on suicide considering this belief of yours, I could just kill myself if I feel life isn't dealing me the hand I want so I can reincarnate and probably get dealt a better hand, what are your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:38am On Feb 14, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

So I'm still gonna live another life? would I have the memory of this life in my next life? And shat are you views on suicide considering this belief of yours, I could just kill myself if I feel life isn't dealing me the hand I want so I can reincarnate and probably get dealt a better hand, what are your thoughts?
You can't remember the past because you will not bring your memory with you. You died, your memory died .

This is the good news! You get to start this new life completely fresh, without worrying about all the traumatic experiences you had in your previous lives. Imagine if you carried with you in each life that terrible memory from 10,000 BC when you were swallow by a big snake while hunting ..... Some things are really better off forgotten.......

For the suicidal, you only kill the body and not the spirit itself. The spirit imperishable and immortal..... If you do not correct your issues in this life time , you are still coming back to meet the same problem.....so you have to fix it now .....so that it will not become known phenomenon in the family .......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 8:45am On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
You can't remember the past because you will not bring your memory with you. You died, your memory died .

This is the good news! You get to start this new life completely fresh, without worrying about all the traumatic experiences you had in your previous lives. Imagine if you carried with you in each life that terrible memory from 10,000 BC when you were swallow by a big snake while hunting ..... Some things are really better off forgotten.......

For the suicidal, you only kill the body and not the spirit itself. The spirit imperishable and immortal..... If you do not correct your issues in this life time , you are still coming back to meet the same problem.....so you have to fix it now .....so that it will not become known phenomenon in the family .......

That's educating

1. So it's not really me that's reincarnating? I mean I'm stripped of all memories, thoughts, prejudices and experiences so did I "reincarnate"? seems to me like whatever makes me up is gone and my spirit just enters another womb

2. Does this mean that the bad we experience in this life is caused by our choices in previous life?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 10:08am On Feb 14, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

That's educating

1. So it's not really me that's reincarnating? I mean I'm stripped of all memories, thoughts, prejudices and experiences so did I "reincarnate"? seems to me like whatever makes me up is gone and my spirit just enters another womb

2. Does this mean that the bad we experience in this life is caused by our choices in previous life?
2 whatever that is the problem we are facing currently are part of the challenges we left unsolved in our previous life. while the good side of our previous life continue with us unless it is alter by ourselves ....

1 The real you is your subconscious mind. not the knowledge you feed in to your memory in previous life. you were born blank.... without information ...... or your thought, prejudice and experience were as result of the society you found yourself...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:07am On Feb 14, 2018
Yoruba philosophy has a distinct view on the concept of life, death and afterlife. To start with, the nature of life according to the Yoruba people transcend biological view. We believe that everything including the non living things are alive. Therefore, Yoruba do not essentially hold that life is all about breathing oxygen. But rather, life continually vibrates.

Death as we know is the end of life. This is half truth because what ends is the breathing process. Yoruba people believe that life does not end. It rather transcend to realm. There is a common saying that Ajo laye. Meaning the physical world is path through which we sojourn. Generally speaking, Yoruba people believe that a person kú (die), but ẹ̀mí re kọjá (life has transcended) or o tí relé (he has sojourn home). In the case of Ọba, Yoruba carefully don't use the word kú. They rather use the term waja which mean climb. There is no living being (life as in term of biology), what we have is Ọmọ-aráyé (the people of the physical world) while those dead are called Ara-ọrùn (people who dwell in the zenith).

Ọrun as we know is heaven. I do not personally like using the term heaven for Orun because Abrahamic theology has bastardize the original meaning of the word. Orun is the world beyond, zenith and the abode of ancestors and divinities. It is part of this planet, but in different dimension or realm. Yorùbá actually believe Orun is a home next door. Orun nile, bi a ba rin ajo, ile la n fi abo sì (heaven is abode, one who sojourn must surely return back home).

There is no concept of Hell in Yoruba spiritual system. The term Orun Àpáàdì or any term used by Christians and Muslims have no relation with Yoruba spirituality or philosophy. Yoruba people do not have the concept of sin or pinishment for sin in the afterlife. There is ẹsẹ or àṣemáṣe (illegality ot wrongdoings) which postulate on a given law in a society. However, one can only be punished for the wrongdoing on physical world in the physical world. Ase gbe kan ó sì, ase pamọ lọ wà this is our own Karma philosophy. But the effect of our actions will manifest only when we are here on earth.

Just like concept of life and death, Yoruba people hold a distinct view on reincarnation. Reincarnation is the return of a person who are long dead back into the physical world. Yoruba hold a different view called A sẹhin wáyé. Aseinwaye can simply be termed as rebith of consciousness. It connotes that life and death is an unending circle that turns through different realms or dimension. A dead person still lives. Not as a biological but metphysical sense. Yoruba people hold that dead people live on in their realm. And they also believe that after one die, one join the ancestors and later returns back to the world to continue their sojourn until Ìwà pẹ̀lẹ́ is achieved. Here is the quote of common saying during burial ceremony of a Yoruba person.

Bi o ba dele ki o kile (greet them when you get home)
Bi o ba dona ki o soyaya (Merry on on yoit sojourn path)
Bi o dorun o sorun re (make good the ancestors realm)
Ma jokun ma jekolo (do not eat earthworms or centipede)
Ohun ti nwon je lajule orun ni kí o maa je. (feast on whatever they eat in the ancestors world).

There is a chicken called Adie Irana. It is used to part ways for the dead person that sojourn to heaven.

There is also a song among the Yorubas.

Tete de o o (return quickly)
Jowo tete wa ya, baba (please branch here baba)
Bi o ba nlo o,jowo tete wa ya (when you sojourn through this path, do branch).

These sayings, songs and thought points that Yoruba people hold a strong believe in the cycle of life. And that life is essentially not breathing but vibration. All in all, there is no hell in Yoruba spirituality

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 1:21pm On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
2 whatever that is the problem we are facing currently are part of the challenges we left unsolved in our previous life. while the good side of our previous life continue with us unless it is alter by ourselves ....

1 The real you is your subconscious mind. not the knowledge you feed in to your memory in previous life. you were born blank.... without information ...... or your thought, prejudice and experience were as result of the society you found yourself...

Nice!

2. is it possible to solve all the challenges in one's previous life?

1. I'm finding this hard to understand, as far as I my knowledge is concerned, those thoughts prejudices and experiences are actually what makes me, without these things I'll be blank and since there's nothing in this life I'll take to the next life (except the blank state I got in here with) then "me" is just meaningless

I'm finding it hard putting my thoughts to words right now but I hope you'll be charitable enough to fill in the blanks
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 2:46pm On Feb 14, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Nice!

2. is it possible to solve all the challenges in one's previous life?

1. I'm finding this hard to understand, as far as I my knowledge is concerned, those thoughts prejudices and experiences are actually what makes me, without these things I'll be blank and since there's nothing in this life I'll take to the next life (except the blank state I got in here with) then "me" is just meaningless

I'm finding it hard putting my thoughts to words right now but I hope you'll be charitable enough to fill in the blanks
2 Yes you have the chances to select your destiny, apart from race , gender and color. these are fixed. every challenges man face is as a result of his handwork. It is your birthright to be happy, joyful and be successful.

1 Let me start with a question... what experience, thoughts and prejudice will a dead toddler or infant possess ? you are only thinking this way because you have grown to store all these in your memory. imagine you suddenly have a brain damage where you have to forget everything you stored in there... will it stop making you whom you are?

The real you is your unconscious mind, let me tell you little thing about it.

The concept activation and primitive association learning most and often occur unconsciously while anything complex requiring flexible responding or higher mental process couldn't.... To what extent are human aware of and were able to report the true causes of their behavior? The simple answer is not very well.....in a nutshell ,actions precede reflection...

In reality your conscious mind is just the connection between the “real you” (unconscious mind and your interaction with physical reality, environment etc. As such, your conscious mind cannot actually display something that is not a part of you. But neither can it display all parts of you in any given moment.

How will you explain these theories?

Baby born with talented skills like drawing, singing , swimming etc without learning it.....people call it inborn talent or genetic factor... But I call it element of reincarnation... for example the identical twins. ...identical twins are a result of spitted egg...look at the difference in their temperaments even with the same genetic factor....so many example i can give..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 2:47pm On Feb 14, 2018
Hi Folykaze,

Wow.... this is such an amazing and good explanation about the Yoruba concept of an afterlife and death.... wow! You explained it so precisely and so simply... honestly for things like this I need a very dumbed down explanation since these sorts of concepts can be extremely complex and deep, and although I can understand these kinds of things fine, I need them to be described to me very simply.

Anyway, I still really love your take on this and I sort of agree a little with this philosophy.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 3:49pm On Feb 14, 2018
vaxx:
2 Yes you have the chances to select your destiny, apart from race , gender and color. these are fixed. every challenges man face is as a result of his handwork. It is your birthright to be happy, joyful and be successful.

1 Let me start with a question... what experience, thoughts and prejudice will a dead toddler or infant possess ? you are only thinking this way because you have grown to store all these in your memory. imagine you suddenly have a brain damage where you have to forget everything you stored in there... will it stop making you whom you are?

The real you is your unconscious mind, let me tell you little thing about it.

The concept activation and primitive association learning most and often occur unconsciously while anything complex requiring flexible responding or higher mental process couldn't.... To what extent are human aware of and were able to report the true causes of their behavior? The simple answer is not very well.....in a nutshell ,actions precede reflection...

In reality your conscious mind is just the connection between the “real you” (unconscious mind and your interaction with physical reality, environment etc. As such, your conscious mind cannot actually display something that is not a part of you. But neither can it display all parts of you in any given moment.

How will you explain these theories?

Baby born with talented skills like drawing, singing , swimming etc without learning it.....people call it inborn talent or genetic factor... But I call it element of reincarnation... for example the identical twins. ...identical twins are a result of spitted egg...look at the difference in their temperaments even with the same genetic factor....so many example i can give..

that's a very good explanation

If I'm brain dead, I'm no longer me I'm afraid

If I no longer have memory of my family, daughter, former colleagues, bossiness associates, where I've been, friends, well wishers, neighbours, each names of the listed, best food, goals, achievements, milestones, girlfriend, past girlfriends, the happy and sad moments, the ups and downs

Then I'm no longer "Me", Yes! I'd still be me according to Olodumare (assuming he exists and Yoruba traditional belief is true) but that's as good as me remembering my computer is still mine despite the fact that I just formatted it. To me, its still my computer but to the computer (assuming its totally wiped clean and only hardwares are intact) its a NEW computer which its master is now putting to use

I think the difference boils down to what view we have of it, the view of the computer about itself is limited so it sees itself as new while the maker or user knows that its not new. I think I am the computer and Olodumare is the User or maker
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 5:31pm On Feb 14, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

that's a very good explanation

If I'm brain dead, I'm no longer me I'm afraid

If I no longer have memory of my family, daughter, former colleagues, bossiness associates, where I've been, friends, well wishers, neighbours, each names of the listed, best food, goals, achievements, milestones, girlfriend, past girlfriends, the happy and sad moments, the ups and downs

Then I'm no longer "Me", Yes! I'd still be me according to Olodumare (assuming he exists and Yoruba traditional belief is true) but that's as good as me remembering my computer is still mine despite the fact that I just formatted it. To me, its still my computer but to the computer (assuming its totally wiped clean and only hardwares are intact) its a NEW computer which its master is now putting to use

I think the difference boils down to what view we have of it, the view of the computer about itself is limited so it sees itself as new while the maker or user knows that its not new. I think I am the computer and Olodumare is the User or maker
i like the computer analogy you input to the discussion. when a computer is formatted, a new operating system is install . without operating system a computer is just a pile of of metal. so the operating system make the computer whom it is. it is through the operating system you can labelled it mackintosh ,windows or Linus.... assuming you formatted a window 7 system to window 8 version. the hard drive will still keep your data but it just that it has been cover by new data. and the existing data can be retrieved by so many wizard software.... such is the case of human too. you can tap into your unconscious mind. that is what babalawo are doing, they look into whom you are as a person , and tell you the traces to follow so that you will not fall into the same mistake. and many occultist group too. you can ask sarasin to teach you how you can tap into your subconscious mind. i do not guaranty him but i have read some information on his tread... you can give it a try...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
Hey Vaxx,

I emailed you yesterday. Did you receive my message?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Hey Vaxx,

I emailed you yesterday. Did you receive my message?
i do not have the password to the email address anymore....
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:28pm On Feb 15, 2018
vaxx:
i do not have the password to the email address anymore....
Oh, i'm sorry. Well, we can still talk on here. I wish we could private message without having to email each other though.... check out my thread on suggestions that I made to improve Nairaland. I'm too lazy to post the link here (LOL)!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 7:33pm On Feb 15, 2018
vaxx:
i like the computer analogy you input to the discussion. when a computer is formatted, a new operating system is install . without operating system a computer is just a pile of of metal. so the operating system make the computer whom it is. it is through the operating system you can labelled it mackintosh ,windows or Linus.... assuming you formatted a window 7 system to window 8 version. the hard drive will still keep your data but it just that it has been cover by new data. and the existing data can be retrieved by so many wizard software.... such is the case of human too. you can tap into your unconscious mind. that is what babalawo are doing, they look into whom you are as a person , and tell you the traces to follow so that you will not fall into the same mistake. and many occultist group too. you can ask sarasin to teach you how you can tap into your subconscious mind. i do not guaranty him but i have read some information on his tread... you can give it a try...

Okay, this makes it clearer now

In your belief, the memories and everything else in previous life are still there, they aren't "removed" but rather "hidden"

Thank
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Okay, this makes it clearer now

In your belief, the memories and everything else in previous life are still there, they aren't "removed" but rather "hidden"

Thank
yes they are there and they affect your current life...... it is the same DNA
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 12:46am On Mar 14, 2018
Hey, let's continue this thread!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by orisa37: 9:12am On Mar 15, 2018
There is "Orun-rere" where Oduduwa is in charge for Olodumare. This why we have "Sunre o", "Odigbere" in blessing them.
There is also "Orun-apadi" representing The Warehouse for evil.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 1:57pm On Mar 15, 2018
orisa37:
There is "Orun-rere" where Oduduwa is in charge for Olodumare. This why we have "Sunre o", "Odigbere" in blessing them.
There is also "Orun-apadi" representing The Warehouse for evil.
Ok. Are you a believer in Ifa?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Has Your Walk With God Been? / Was Jesus Naive To Have Said This? / Staying In God's Rest In or out of trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.