Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,848 members, 7,806,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions (50554 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Floats Autonomous Financing Channel For Lagos Tertiary Schools / Kano Makes NIN Mandatory For Students In Government Schools / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:19pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adebowale89:

I spent good 6yrs in Ekiti and the samething was applicable in Ekiti corporate organization

wetin dey pain u now is what I don't understand. your case be like a player that referee give yellow card and he still going to explain to the ref

this law had been on debate for a while, now it had been passed. Lagos is a Yoruba land geographically or politically as you may put it, they're entitled to any decision they take. should we scrap our culture, custom and law because we have non Yoruba settlers here?

You called it "corporate organization". Of course, all across the country, if you walk into any bank, the staff would generally first speak English to you, except they're familiar with you. It's their way of being accommodating to everyone. It's a different thing with everyday interactions on the streets of Ekiti.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adebowale89:

see this native fowl? who called you to this debate? this is a debate for matured people, stop advertising your childish behaviour here

Matured people!!. really, this is just inferior complex.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 12:21pm On Feb 12, 2018
mankand:

Yours dilector is nowhere to be found. If the law isn't okay with you, leave Yoruba land and go back to your village

...but you coward can find these guys...

The only way this useless law can stand is when you have your Odua nation...

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2018
eleojo23:

Come on, I personally can speak another language which is not my mother tongue but that doesn't make me good at writing it.
There are people who struggle to read and write their own mother tongue sef
What you don't know these days is, most Yoruba people including me can't read or write properly in Yoruba language the way we write in English language, imagine if government doesn't give proper look into this, in 20yrs to 40yrs to this time the language will go into extinct, so other state should emulate this too.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by texazzpete(m): 12:23pm On Feb 12, 2018
mankand:

Yours dilector is nowhere to be found. If the law isn't okay with you, leave Yoruba land and go back to your village

Sorry, which 'dilector' is from Edo State?
Or is anyone who voices a contrary opinion now a 'biafran'?

They should have sent you to a better school so you could avoid these logical errors cheesy
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 12:23pm On Feb 12, 2018
ODVanguard:

But Igbo's don't have their own country yet una governors did this and Yoruba's didn't give a flipping fvck.

www.thenationonlineng.net/obiano-makes-igbo-language-compulsory/, www. biatimes.com/2016/03/07/nigeria-igbo-language-now-compulsory-in-igbo-schools-governor-rochas-okorocha/, www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/university-make-igbo-language-compulsory-course-students

I don't support that sh*t...as well

..as you can see every region is trying to be independent...a nation of its own...but you're fvcking dumb to see it.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adebowale89(m): 12:24pm On Feb 12, 2018
Esseite:

Matured people!!. really, this is just inferior complex.

what makes it inferior complex? quote me more and lemme disgrace you here publicly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 12:24pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

What you don't know these days is, most Yoruba people including me can't read or write properly in Yoruba language the way we write in English language, imagine if government doesn't give proper look into this, the language will go into extinct, so other state should emulate this too.
why didnt you learn it when you where in primary or secondary?were you stopped from learning it?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by tunjijones(m): 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2018
EternalTruth:
afonja

Fool

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adebowale89:

what makes it inferior complex? quote me more and lemme disgrace you here publicly

You see.. what have i been doing all along?.. the brain is not bought..

If colonial nations are trying to relax means of communications and barriers as to contend with the world. We are building masions of barriers that stagnate progress.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ODVanguard: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Lagos is not Yoruba land so the Afonjas have no ground to enact such law.

Well, we have enacted the law now do your worst. You be bastard if you no go court over this matter with all this your Oloshi talk.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

No sir, the only land grabber on this thread is you! That is why you feel so pained by the fact that Lagos state has enacted this law. Try not to kill yourself. In this case, the federal govt laws on education will only apply to federal govt tertiary institutions, and not to Lagos state owned institutions. Take panadol for your headache

Oga I am laughing at the law, wen did that translate to being pained its a very stupid idea.

Some Igbos sit in federal n state reps/assembly in Lagos, there are also countless Igbo staff members in Lagos state civil service n we also have a very strong presence in Lagos (with population of igbos in millions) n business wise we are there as well. I can't be pained by Lagos, We are there already, As very strong stakeholders

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by daywatcher: 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Lagos is not ethnically homogeneous. It is dominated by an indigenous ethnic group. But, it isn't ethnically homogeneous. If I were to make the kindest, most generous estimate, I'd say at best, Yorubas are about 65% of the Lagos population. But I'd wager they're less than that.
And no one said what the LASG are doing is "illegal". Legality isn't synonymous with rightness.

lol @ most generous estimate. I wonder where the source of this 65% is. Nevertheless the dominant tribe has spoken, the preferred language in EKO, YORUBALAND (as recognised globally and within Nigerian) is Yoruba. Nothing is stopping other tribes from making their own similar law on their respective lands.

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by bakynes(m): 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I never heard about such a law and even if they enacted it, Its dead long before it arrives. It might be something that happened maybe 10 years ago n was never enforced because it is IMPOSSIBLE.

No state in Nigeria can "force" anyone to read a local language before they are allowed to graduate or allowed to gain admission. Such a law has never seen the light of the day in Nigeria and it will remain like that.

Besides if such a law was legal and was announced, Its Igbo land so it is justifiable . Lagos is not Yoruba land so the Afonjas have no ground to enact such law.
See this idiot, Lagos is not Yorubaland? For the fact it is metropolitan doesn't make it less of Yorubaland. We will not forfeit our culture,tradition and language just because we are part of Nigeria.

Today London is most cosmopolitan city in the world and you must learn English language before you come into the country.
Besides this is for only state owned institutions,if you are not OK with the law, you can either go Federal institutions or leave the state.

You will not come here and tell us what to do on our own land when you are at liberty to do whatever you want on yours.

Lagos is no longer the FCT so we have liberty to do as we please on our state.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Vcblinks(m): 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2018
I knew it will not pass them as for Igbo's it is clear you are not wanted in Lagos.it is a pity that this happens in a so called shithole in a country so other tribes can not apply for the state university.Yoruba's are nepotic as hell,I could recount when my friend had a business to do with them that involved with them because he was non yoruba, they cunningly swindle him.they are never happy for others.my friend was so heartbroken that people he came with a clean slate they bleeped him up because he is omo igbo,though not all of them but once they know your Igbo you know your just in for frustration.Don't know what brought about this hatred like I told my brother he should not invest in anything in Lagos and he blatantly did so I hope his reading this.Have told all this foolish Igbo's come back and stay in your land where u will be appreciated but in a quest to make it which I don't blame them venture into a land,am in my state and am leaving fine so no idiot will condition me.Is best to split d country let everyone be and stop using cunning ways to pursue people.is really a pity but some Igbo's deserve it,when they are practicing one Nigeria by investing in others people land without using their sense.its just the beginning. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ODVanguard: 12:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
Stingman:

I don't support that sh*t...as well

..as you can see every region is trying to be independent...a nation of its own...but you're fvcking dumb to see it.

You are the dumb fvck and hypocritical one coz we no hear kpim from your flatron behind when your governors did similarly. The law has been enacted so feel free to go jump in the Lagoon if you no like am coz all this ranting on NL no go change Nada. undecided

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
two of you are wrong
How are we wrong if you could explain yourself properly?
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adebowale89(m): 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

You called it "corporate organization". Of course, all across the country, if you walk into any bank, the staff would generally first speak English to you, except they're familiar with you. It's their way of being accommodating to everyone. It's a different thing with everyday interactions on the streets of Ekiti.

banks I entered then speak Igbo whether you're familiar or not, at Onitsha first bank, one of the customer care rep had once address me speaking Igbo not until I told him I'm not igbo

people speak Yoruba on the streets of Ekiti, do they not speak igbo on the street of east states? no private sch allow their students to speak Yoruba like that

I can say this constructively that, Igbo elites kids speak Igbo well than the Yoruba elites kids

this is just an avenue to resurrect the value of our language, this has nothing to do with what your kinsmen are splitting up there

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by mankand(m): 12:33pm On Feb 12, 2018
Stingman:

...but you coward can find these guys...

The only way this useless law can stand is when you have your Odua nation...

We don't need oodua State make progressive moves. That's the difference between our leaders and your leaders

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ODVanguard: 12:33pm On Feb 12, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

And that is what I said - that I support this measure very strongly at basic education level through primary and secondary school. That is the place for acquiring language skills. At tertiary level, except one is studying a language itself or except one day, we start teaching courses in our indigenous languages, it's a waste of a student's time making him take language courses.

You're comparing the East to Lagos, which isn't a fair comparison. I'm sure in Ekiti or Ondo, Yoruba is the dominant language as Igbo is in Ebonyi or Abia. Lagos is a cosmopolitan city which might be Yoruba dominated, but has a national character and flair. It's interesting that no other state, including the other 5 Yoruba states, ever felt the need to pass this measure, but the Lagos State House did. It seems it is motivated more out of hubris and arrogance and a need to feel relevant than trying to somehow promote the language. Be honest, can you imagine there being some kind of scheme in Abuja where admission or even employment into government institutions requires working knowledge of the Gwari language?

Guy, where were you when SE governors did similarly?? Yoruba people didn't give a flipping fvck when the news broke back then so why are you people now making noise all over the place over this?

www.thenationonlineng.net/obiano-makes-igbo-language-compulsory/, www. biatimes.com/2016/03/07/nigeria-igbo-language-now-compulsory-in-igbo-schools-governor-rochas-okorocha/, www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/university-make-igbo-language-compulsory-course-students

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adebowale89(m): 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2018
Esseite:

You see.. what have i been doing all along?.. the brain is not bought..

If colonial nations are trying to relax means of communications and barriers as to contend with the world. We are building masions of barriers that stagnate progress.

will you keep shut your dirty mouth? na everybody you think you can be rubbishing on public forum?

I put it to u again, what makes my post complex inferiority?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
why didnt you learn it when you where in primary or secondary?were you stopped from learning it?
Did i told you that i didn't learn my language in school... Didn't you learn your own language when you were in primary and secondary school too?
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Originalsly: 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2018
tunjijones:

Ur view anyway. I don't buy your sch of tot. If what Lagos state did is illegal I think the federal govt wld do something abt it.
I expect the FG to strike it down....and fast.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 12, 2018
ODVanguard:

Well, we have enacted the law now do your worst. You be bastard if you no go court over this matter with all this your Oloshi talk.

No one went to court to challenge the one u have already enacted last year. It's a useless law that needs not to be challenge it.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Absuchat(m): 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
We all know that Yorubas are generally bad at English language. I guess this is a campaign strategy by the governor.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Originalsly: 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
daywatcher:

None. What is your point exactly? Everyone in your list has a government that is elected to make laws that they feel is best for their people.
Hmmm.... I see..... you wouldn't /didn't do well in JAMB! Someone else will explain.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adebowale89:

will you keep shut your dirty mouth? na everybody you think you can be rubbishing on public forum?

I put it to u again, what makes my post complex inferiority?

"Complex inferiority"... i give up.
Moreover, i didnt rubbish you, i only put it to you on the negative of the bill passed which you should not support, and gave ample reason as to why.

Anyways adebowale, am sorry if our convo degenerated to this.. i hope am able to convince you otherwise. Have a great day.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 12, 2018
bakynes:

See this idiot, Lagos is not Yorubaland? For the fact it is metropolitan doesn't make it less of Yorubaland. We will not forfeit our culture,tradition and language just because we are part of Nigeria.

Today London is most cosmopolitan city in the world and you must learn English language before you come into the country.
Besides this is for only state owned institutions,if you are not OK with the law, you can either go Federal institutions or leave the state.

You will not come here and tell us what to do on our own land when you are at liberty to do whatever you want on yours.

Lagos is no longer the FCT so we have liberty to do as we please on our state.

Lagos is not Yoruba land.
It is presently a public Information.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 12:39pm On Feb 12, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

Didn't you learn your own language when you were in primary and secondary school too?
i learned speaking it at home not school..i learned writing it in school..so what stopped you from learning to speak at home(if that is the case) and writing at school(wasn't Yoruba taught in your primary and secondary schools)?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by akigbemaru: 12:41pm On Feb 12, 2018
Vado:

By
Wumi Akinbode February 12, 2018

All candidates seeking admission into all tertiary institutions in Lagos State must henceforth possess credit in Yoruba Language, the state Yoruba Language Preservation and Preservation Law has said.

The law, which became effective last Thursday, would now make compulsory for all primary and secondary schools – private or public – in the state to include teaching of Yoruba Language as a core subject at all levels.

The state Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, had formally signed a bill into law “to provide for the preservation and promotion of the use of Yoruba Language and for connected purposes,” thereby making it the first state to enact law seeking to preserve and promote its indigenous language.

He signed the law alongside the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Adeniji Kazeem, Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Olawale Oluwo, his Information and Strategy counterpart, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan and the Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinyemi Ashade, among others.

He equally signed six other bills into laws: the Amended Land Use Charge bill, School of Nursing bill, Cooperative College bill, Cancer Research Institute bill, Amended Customary Court bill and the State Electric Power Reform Law on the same day.

However, the Yoruba Language Preservation and Promotion law provides that all the laws in the state “will be translated into Yoruba Language. Moreso, all state-owned tertiary institutions are to incorporate the use of Yoruba Language in the General Studies (GNS) courses.

“The use of Yoruba language shall be an acceptable means of communication between individuals, establishment, corporate entities and government in the state if so desired by the concerned. It shall not be an offence for a person to speak Yoruba language by the state government,” the law reads in part.

Specifically, the law stated that any school in Lagos State that “fails to comply with the provisions of Section 2 commits an offence and is liable on first violation to issuance of warning and on subsequent violation be closed down and also pay a fine of N500,000.”

After the governor approved the legislation, Bamigbetan explained the socio-cultural value of the Yoruba Language Preservation and Promotion Law, 2018, which according to him, is the first of its kind in Nigeria.

With the new law, Bamigbetan said Yoruba language “has become mandatory for all candidates seeking admission into our tertiary institutions. Yoruba will now become a major requirement to engage in normal business communication in Lagos State.

“This is a clear and conscious commitment to the position which Lagos State prides Yoruba language as the cultural vehicle for us to be able to articulate our position and it also shows that Lagos has further recognised the importance of language as a vehicle for development.”

He said anyone seeking admission into the Lagos State University, Lagos State Polytechnic, Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Lagos State School of Nursing and Lagos State College of Health Technology, among others must have credit in Yoruba language.

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/76940/yoruba-mandatory-admission-tertiary-institutions-lagos-state-govt?
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 12:41pm On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:
Oga I am laughing at the law, wen did that translate to being pained its a very stupid idea.

Some Igbos sit in federal n state reps/assembly in Lagos, there are also countless Igbo staff members in Lagos state civil service n we also have a very strong presence in Lagos (with population of igbos in millions) n business wise we are there as well. I can't be pained by Lagos, We are there already, As very strong stakeholders
Oga, there are millions of Indians living in London with some of them holding positions within the British govt, sef. sad Does that mean they won't obey laws made at local level, or by the parliament? It really doesn't matter how many millions of Igbo are in Lagos, they still need to respect and obey laws made by the Lagos state house of assembly, whether they like it or not. If they like, let them attach the word "stakeholder" to their birth certificate.

Stop making too much noise, abeg. If you cannot attend Lagos state-owned tertiary institutions where this law would be made applicable, then attend a federal university where the law does not apply. Chikena! No be by force. Why do you want to kill yahself, over this matter?

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply)

The Advantages Of National Open University Nigeria / Meet Sackey Percy Ghanaian Dancing Teacher Who Dances With Students After Class / Secondary Students Celebrate Graduation By Carrying Their Colleague Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.