Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,629 members, 7,801,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways (5385 Views)

Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) / Proofread And Improve Your Writing In English And Spanish / Learn Content Writing In 4 Steps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by ChristinBattons(f): 11:10am On Feb 12, 2018
Creative writing is one of the qualities that any good writer should possess. It gives you an edge allowing you to look at things from a different perspective. As a writer, you need to make your writing unique as it will draw a specific set of readers to your work. Writing using basic knowledge leaves your work stale. You need to look for a style that will suit both your readers and yourself as a writer. You need to make your writing stand out from others. A creatively written paper requires you to get ideas from different sources around you. When you go outside, you expose yourself to various situations that will boost your creativity. You then use these experiences in your writing.
Any writing needs a fresh twist; if readers keep reading the same thing from different writers they will get bored. For you to boost your creative writing skills, some techniques can be adapted. Here are 3 reasons that emphasize the need of going outside.

1. Interaction
By going outside, you interact with nature and fellow humans. It boosts your senses as you will need them to transport your readers to the world that you’re writing on. Everything needs to feel real.
Some of the things you may gain through interactions include:
Brainstorming. You may go outside and meet individuals with the same mindset as your own. Pondering on different ideas and views may give you a new perspective on your work. It does not matter whether the ideas that you eventually come up with are good or bad, brainstorming is an excellent mental exercise. It relaxes your brain, and this is important in your creative writing process.
Senses. By being outside, your senses increase. Depending on the kind of story that you wish to write on, you may need to go to a setting that matches that of your book or article. In turn, this gives your work a real feeling. You will be able to transport your readers using your words at a time that you desire. But, for you to achieve this, you will need to go outside and see, feel, smell, touch and taste the environment you seek to write on.
Interacting with your surroundings has been proven to increase a person’s creativity. Even a creative like Steve Jobs suggested that when you see what others are doing, you will be able to improvise on their ideas and come up with something new.

2. Inspiration
You may be stuck with your writing or have no idea on what you want to write. By going outside, you may come across something that will inspire you to write about it. A homeless man across the street or a couple arguing may just be the inspiration that you need for your creative writing idea.
Some of the activities you can do to find inspiration include:
Going out to watch a movie. Just going out to catch a film can do wonders for your creative writing skill. A scene or a sentence by an actor may be what you need to jerk your brain into creative mode.
Going to hang out with friends. Hanging out with friends either just for coffee or a night out may be what you need. Many writers have used their experiences while out with friends to come up with the material for a story.
Travel. Nothing opens up a writer’s brain than traveling to a new location. Your mind will absorb every detail of your visit. You may not know it, but something that occurs to you during your travel may be what inspires you to write.
Learn a new skill. What most writers don’t get is that you may learn something about writing by not writing. Try out a new skill like cooking or drawing. It may seem inconsequential at first, but with such courses, attention to detail is critical. Learning how to be sensitive to other crafts other than writing develops a new side of you. It will also manifest in your work, and a picture that you drew may be a source of inspiration for a story.

Inspiration is one of the key aspects that a writer needs and if you need any assistance regarding this, you can check out http://essaywritersite.com. There are dozens of proficient writers who will not mind giving you a few pointers in regards to this.

3. Fact Finding
Depending on what you’re writing about, you need to establish facts about it. You cannot just write a story about somewhere or someone without traveling to either meet them, their acquaintances or just to go and see the place to find out the facts for yourself.
Some of the things that will require you to go outside include:
When you write about a community. Research alone in some cases is not enough. You will be required to go and immerse yourself in their way of life for you to come up with a creative method of writing about them. Most famous writers have used this technique before writing about their experiences.
Writing about someone. Lots of writers have either gone around following the person they want to write on. They do this to find an angle that they can use to set their story. If you do not let your mind wander, you may not see that unique perspective to use in such a situation.
Writing about a place. Writers will once in a while write about a country or destination that they find fascinating. But writing about a place which you only see in pictures and read about from other writers may be tricky. You will need to go outside and see for yourself what it’s all about and the beauty that it has to offer. By being physically present, your mind will be able to come up with a unique and creative perspective about the area. It also gives your writing that real feeling that makes your reader feel like they are actually in that place that you’re writing about.

Conclusion
Locking yourself indoors to come up with a creative way of writing will work for some people but going outside to see for yourself is the best alternative. Your brain absorbs more when in an outdoor setting, thus, improving the chances of you coming up with a new and unique story.
Our homes are our comfort zones and may distract us at times. We need to go outside for us to widen our experiences. It is a fact that a tired brain is the best to come up with creative styles. There are lots of activities out there that one can put themselves through to tire the mind. You will then retire to your desk and try coming up with new material. The outside is full of prospective story ideas for writers, and all they need to do is go and explore!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Missnande(f): 11:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
Beautiful and true

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by SonyObsessed: 7:05am On Feb 13, 2018
True

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by wildcatter23(m): 7:06am On Feb 13, 2018
How can ones creative writing be monetized

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 13, 2018
Nice

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by TheBlessedMAN: 7:07am On Feb 13, 2018
Thanx 4 d enlightenement. We go work on it. Eshey o.

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:09am On Feb 13, 2018
wildcatter23:
How can ones creative writing be monetized

My guy asking the right questions

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Fanatique: 7:09am On Feb 13, 2018
Of course life and nature moulds our mind into creativity.

Please visit https://runmyresearch.com/hire-a-researcher/ to get a professional researcher to handle your Bsc, Msc, PhD projects. We write plagiarism free papers

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by boolet: 7:10am On Feb 13, 2018
kiss

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by ReinaFarine: 7:16am On Feb 13, 2018
And they've turned it to am advertisement board..

Nice one OP!

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by fairheven: 7:31am On Feb 13, 2018
remember doing a scriptwriting project , I had lost inspiration at a critical stage and was almost abandoning it.

a particular day while going for class I just sat down at one busy bus stop in Lagos with paper and pen and that was how ideas came flowing From nowhere and the project was completed in no time

5 Likes

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by jojothaiv(m): 7:38am On Feb 13, 2018
Shout Outs To All The Introverts In The Building Who Write Very Well And Are Afraid Of Going Out/Places...

We need to break out of our shell and stop viewing life just from one perspective in one environment..

Thanks OP, I need to work on myself too.

6 Likes

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by maxipharo(m): 8:23am On Feb 13, 2018
OP, you are on point......

1 Like

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Tozara(m): 9:15am On Feb 13, 2018
Cool. Especially for those who have no inner raging flame of gold.

I can almost certainly get ideas just by sitting in the comfort of my home. Natural INTUITIVES can do without this.

Great piece, OP.
Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by pimper24: 9:30am On Feb 13, 2018
It will not interest many cos reading culture here is zero, so do writing too. My article where I criticized my own organization was passed on to the front desk officer who drew my attention to it in the tabloid. That is after the boss and other colleagues have browsed the paper. "nice one bro... Saw your write up". Mogbe grin they hav obviously not read through.
Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by viash: 9:58am On Feb 13, 2018

Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Lionel8(m): 9:59am On Feb 13, 2018
Nice piece
Re: Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways by Xzbit91: 7:10am On Feb 14, 2018
pimper24:
It will not interest many cos reading culture here is zero, so do writing too. My article where I criticized my own organization was passed on to the front desk officer who drew my attention to it in the tabloid. That is after the boss and other colleagues have browsed the paper. "nice one bro... Saw your write up". Mogbe grin they hav obviously not read through.

grin grin grin

And that was how you escape query

(1) (Reply)

Launching Event Of "Nairaland Poets Club"-Invitation Thread / The Beauty Queen (a Short Story) / STORY FOR THE GODS [Nairaland Best Ever Magical Movie]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.