Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,947 members, 7,806,741 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? (13129 Views)

Have You Been Shouted At By A Subordinate At Work Before? / Why Is A Medical Doctor Placed Higher Than A Newly Employed Lecturer With A Ph.d / My Over Zealous Subordinate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Geonigga(m): 7:40am On Feb 14, 2018
This one na olodo. Mind ur business.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:41am On Feb 14, 2018
Sudokudon:

I got this job six months ago in the Northeastern part of the country. During the recruitment process, the recruiter told me the salary range for the job, which I was pleased with. I went for the interview and got the job within the specified salary range. A month after, the firm thought they needed someone to assist me. They found one, and he insisted he cannot earn less than a certain amount which is about 40% higher than my take home pay and this dragged for a while before they agreed to employ him but on a contract basis of one year. Although, he will not be entitled to certain benefits I am entitled to, yet, his net pay is still more than my gross salary.

When the firm saw that I got to know, the HR invited me for an extensive meeting, trying to pacify me. He told me he is just to work for a year and they might either not renew his contract or increase mine if they renew his. That our salary was based on negotiation and was still within the range of what the company can pay. Unfortunately, salary can only be reviewed once in 6 months.

My question is:

1. Can negotiations be arbitrary without a range by the company?

2. Can the firm, just because they want to recruit someone who is best fit for a role, pay the person higher than his/her boss?

3. Why should a company be using your last pay as a basis of what they want to pay instead of solely their own capacity to pay?

I submitted my resignation letter yesterday because I was finding it difficult working with him and because the issue keep haunting me. The MD refused to collect it though, but I am not looking back, I have moved on. I have gotten another offer in principle and I will be meeting with them next week for salary negotiation. I am thinking of the best possible way of negotiation, so that I won't be shortchanged again.

HR guys in the house

Cc: Jarus

First of all tell us :

Ur tribe.
Ur subordinates tribe.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Skyfornia(m): 7:41am On Feb 14, 2018
LegitBoy:
I'm sorry to say this but you took the most stupid decision there, his salary is haunting you? Is it the 6months that will kill you? People should stop bothering themselves with frivolities if you have a career to build.

But what do I know? You're probably a rich kid who can get a job at will so no point thinking about unemployment.

His decision is not stupid, he took the right decision suitable to him. I have been in his shoes and there's a lot of emotional turmoil knowing fully well that your surbordinate is earning more than you, especially someone who is under you or someone who came after you. The most important thing is happiness and peace of mind, unfortunately, he can't get that working under such condition.

6 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Sammig1(m): 7:41am On Feb 14, 2018
justi4jesu:
If you need genuine Paypal funds to pay your suppliers

Contact me on whatsapp. smiley

If justi paypal funds has finished and you still need more or if her rate is top high contact me on Whatsapp shocked
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 7:43am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

First of all tell us :

Ur tribe.
Ur subordinates tribe.
It doesn't matter. I don't think it is government job. Companies are out for profit and it happens everywhere. Not everything is about tribe and religion.

2 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by ideologies(m): 7:47am On Feb 14, 2018
LegitBoy:
I'm sorry to say this but you took the most stupid decision there, his salary is haunting you? Is it the 6months that will kill you? People should stop bothering themselves with frivolities if you have a career to build.

But what do I know? You're probably a rich kid who can get a job at will so no point thinking about unemployment.
bros life is choice. U don't have a right to tell him that.

If he's a rich kid and so what!
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 14, 2018
Sudokudon:

I got this job six months ago in the Northeastern part of the country. During the recruitment process, the recruiter told me the salary range for the job, which I was pleased with. I went for the interview and got the job within the specified salary range. A month after, the firm thought they needed someone to assist me. They found one, and he insisted he cannot earn less than a certain amount which is about 40% higher than my take home pay and this dragged for a while before they agreed to employ him but on a contract basis of one year. Although, he will not be entitled to certain benefits I am entitled to, yet, his net pay is still more than my gross salary.

When the firm saw that I got to know, the HR invited me for an extensive meeting, trying to pacify me. He told me he is just to work for a year and they might either not renew his contract or increase mine if they renew his. That our salary was based on negotiation and was still within the range of what the company can pay. Unfortunately, salary can only be reviewed once in 6 months.

My question is:

2. Can the firm, just because they want to recruit someone who is best fit for a role, pay the person higher than his/her boss?

3. Why should a company be using your last pay as a basis of what they want to pay instead of solely their own capacity to pay?

I submitted my resignation letter yesterday because I was finding it difficult working with him and because the issue keep haunting me. The MD refused to collect it though, but I am not looking back, I have moved on. I have gotten another offer in principle and I will be meeting with them next week for salary negotiation. I am thinking of the best possible way of negotiation, so that I won't be shortchanged again.

HR guys in the house

yes,such things happen, most times people take job offer out of desperation. To be honest with you, most companies hire people without having any salary structure per say but dependent on your power of negotiation. The contract guy may be receiving higher than you, Yes but its rather advisable to get an offer letter before resigning from your present job. Management can take decision at any time which may affect recruitment exercise, when you go for salary negotiation this time, try to be smart, it depends on the question they ask you. e.g lets assume you are earning 200k now and the company is saying they will offer 220k, try to push further a bit, but just as i said you wouldn't have resigned until you get another offer letter.

2 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by herraph: 7:53am On Feb 14, 2018
You're getting greedy
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 14, 2018
LegitBoy:

I disagree with you. The Company is unethical in their dealings. If you say you got a scale, be saying the truth. The guy evidently knows his worth, if he doesn't get it here, he will get it it elsewhere. All he needs to do is not appear desperate and go for a salary that you want.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:09am On Feb 14, 2018
oga70563:
Your assistant may be earning higher due to his bargaining power. You should know that whenever you propose your salary to your employer, they would always want to cut you down, just the same way you cut down Iya Fumni(the pepper seller's actual pepper price). It just simple business.

BTW, why did u do amebo on ur assistant salary. Don't you know that what you don't know doesn't kill you.

I do think u have any idea about how civil service works
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by duduade: 8:13am On Feb 14, 2018
Please address o
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by DukeNija(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2018
@op I can imagine how you must have felt.
All those criticizing you don’t understand how motivation works on a job. You were already demotivated and the best thing is to leave the job.
The truth is, this is the consequence of not having a good salary structure and sticking to it.

That your subordinate is not the only person in Nigeria who can do the job for a lower pay. They should go and recruit someone else to do your job with your current salary. Let’s see who will onboard the new guy and when they eventually get someone, let’s also see who will onboard that new person.

Move on from an unstructured company.

2 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

It doesn't matter. I don't think it is government job. Companies are out for profit and it happens everywhere. Not everything is about tribe and religion.

This happens every time in northern Nigeria, in both government firms n private firms.

In NIPP (Geregu gas turbine 2), I know a Secretary(A northerner) to one of the oga kpatakpata who has an NCE in Islamic studies and he earns far more than a southerner who is ''Chief" Engineer in the plant.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 14, 2018
Youngzedd:
Envy.....

Mehn, you get issue walahi. Jesus talked about people like you in the parable of the laborers in the vineyard. Matthew 20:1-16

If I am the person in charge of the company, I will wonderfully kick you out in a grand style.

Go and watch the movie titled "Nightcrawler".

U forgot ur sense somewhere.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by paulibling(m): 8:21am On Feb 14, 2018
If you have built your career and know your onion and you are known in the industry you will not waste time to switch cos you built that career to make money.
Youths build your career so that you can get recruitability aroma like the OP.
Don't just have certificate also acquire clear skills that the blind in your field can see.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Omobada(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2018
9japrof:
Without mincing words here, you are the one stupid and insecure.

From your story, you agreed your present pay during your interview without knowing your worth, the company never enforced the pay on you.

Your surbodinate came along and knew his value, he insisted on a pay he thought he is worth(Nigga knows his onions) and after much haggling, the company is paying him his worth.

Now your bad belle self on knowing what transpired is now angry, directing your anger at the wrong individual(management and your surbodinate) while the anger should have been directed at yourself for being stupid, naive and not knowing your worth. Your judgement is now clouded with bitterness that you don't see the bigger picture, he is a contract staff, a less secure job that can be terminated at will, you agreed that he is not entitled to some benefits you do have so what is forking wrong with you man.

Listen the grass ain't always greener on the other side, you are quitting your job now, how sure the same scenario wouldn't play out in your next work place or will you be changing jobs, anyway there are plenty of job opportunities in the Northeast.

What do u suggest? Use the current situation to renegotiate your contract in principle, make them sign a contract clause that stipulates that your salary must be reviewed upwards if a surbodinate is higher than your present pay.

Anyway what do I know

My friend, you know much.. In fact, u already said my mind.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:29am On Feb 14, 2018
Sudokudon:

My question is:

HR guys in the house

Boss, pride took the better of you. He negotiated, you didn't when you had the chance to. If you were okay with the salary in the first place an you could live on it for the next 6months, why didn't just wait to re negotiate at the stipulated time? I can assure you that you would have earned their respect with a salary increase. The MD refused to even accept your resignation because he knew they wrong you and they were going to make it right by you. Anyways, good luck on your new job.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Acidosis(m): 8:33am On Feb 14, 2018
I will do the same thing if I were in your shoes.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by luckyogor(m): 8:34am On Feb 14, 2018
May you receive the Grace to be delivered from the spirit of jealousy,focus on your job and grow,dont allow jealousy eat into you and destroy you,you bargained,he bargained,he is temporary and you are permanent,I repeat, cast thou jealous spirit away before it grows into deep envy for your subordinate because it will only lead to your destruction.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 8:37am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

This happens every time in northern Nigeria, in both government firms n private firms.

In NIPP (Geregu gas turbine 2), I know a Secretary(A northerner) to one of the oga kpatakpata who has an NCE in Islamic studies and he earns far more than a southerner who is ''Chief" Engineer in the plant.

You are right, I also know a northerner who is a cleaner and doesn't have even primary school certificate but collects 10 times the salary of the general manager in dangote flour mill. If you are not ashamed of what you typed, I can't be ashamed of mine either. Let the lies begin.

1 Like

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:39am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

You are right, I also know a northerner who is a cleaner and doesn't have even primary school certificate but collects 10 times the salary of the general manager in dangote flour mill. Let the lies begin.

Should I forward full names n at least 3 phone numbers for u to verify?
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 8:40am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Should I forward full names n at least 3 phone numbers for u to verify?
Pls do, I'm waiting.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

Pls do, I'm waiting.

Forward ur e-mail.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 8:43am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Forward ur e-mail.
Why not on this site for anyone to verify? I'm not a northerner but I hate lies?
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

Why not on this site for anyone to verify? I'm not a northerner but lies?

Would it be wise I write down names of members of staffs working in geregu2 gas turbine in kogi state? Would it be wise to write their phone numbers here?

To make things simpler, which state do u reside?
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 8:50am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Would it be wise I write down names of members of staffs working in geregu2 gas turbine? Would it be wise to write their phone numbers here?

To make things simpler, which state do u reside?
I'm in Lagos but not a Lagosian. I'm from delta state.

Nigga, take it easy with lies. NCE in Islamic studies, and Secretary to oga, yet earns higher than the chief engineer. Hmm. Even in state schools in the north, many Southerners are more paid than the northerners because southerners are on contract appointment, yet you have the guts to type this poo thinking goats are on Nairaland. Oga, you can lie, let it be reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by positivethought: 8:54am On Feb 14, 2018
May be you should forfeit your other benefits n ask to be place on contract employment for one year too perhaps you would be satisfy with that,you should have waited out the one year patiently n see what happens thereafter, nothing is fixed in life that your subordinate may be your boss somewhere tomorrow but ego is pushing you to form Mugabe, but I hope you knew how Mugabe ended up.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:54am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

I'm in Lagos but not a Lagosian. I'm from delta state.

Nigga, take it easy with lies. NCE in Islamic studies, and Secretary to oga, yet earns higher than the chief engineer. Hmm. Even in state schools in the north, many Southerners are more paid than the northerners because southerners are on contract appointment, yet you have the guts to type this poo thinking goats are on Nairaland. Oga, you can lie, let it be reasonable.

Good, At least ur in Nigeria.

Now go to Geregu2 gas turbine in kogi state. Wen u get there go to the engineering department nd find Engr Bassey Efa. Everything will be clear from there.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by badoh(m): 8:57am On Feb 14, 2018
Why should you be disappointed for him tendering his resignation letter. It takes a man who really knows his onions to take such a decision. You cant because there's uncertainty in the economy and forgo sensitive issues that could undermine your leadership role.
How many people can do what the guy did? You should know that the guy is loaded, he knows his worth and believes in himself. That is why it didn't take much time before he got another offer.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 9:00am On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Good, At least ur in Nigeria.

Now go to Geregu2 gas turbine in kogi state. Wen u get there go to the engineering department nd find Engr Bassey Efa. Everything will be clear from there.
So I should leave what I'm doing in Lagos and go in search of the payroll of workers in Geregu2 gas turbine in kogi state through one Bassey Efa? You said this because you know it is not possible. But easy with the lies, I am not buying.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 14, 2018
12submarine:

So I should leave what I'm doing in Lagos and go in search of the payroll of workers in Geregu2 gas turbine in kogi state through one Bassey Efa? You said this because you know it is not possible. But easy with the lies, I am not buying.

See this mad man oo, Did I tell u leave what ur doing in Lagos Geregu gas turbine has a life span of around 25 years, u have time to check it out on ur own turf.......so within the next many months u can simply go there so that the lie will stop being an online lie.

And who says its not possible for u to visit kogi state Is kogi in Europe Didn't one guy trek from that ur Lagos, passed thru kogi and arrived in Abuja gringrin.

I've done all I'm suppised to do.

Nice day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Depressed Do You Feel At Your Place Of Work? / What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.