Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany (7119 Views)

Photos From "The Enemy I Know" Movie Premiere In Abuja / Celebrities At ‘Black Panther’ Premiere In Lagos / Photos From "The Wedding Party 2" Premiere In Lagos (Arabian Themed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by ManirBK: 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
A movie adaptation of the literary work of Nigeria’s first elected Prime Minister, Sir Tafawa Balewa, known as “Shehu Umar”, is set to hit the cinema in Berlin, Germany.

Mr Brian Etuk, the Head of Public Affairs, Nigeria Film Corporation (NFC) disclosed this in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday, in Jos.

Etuk said the recently digitised film would be launched during the 68th Berlin International Film Festival to hold February 15th to 25th.

He said the film to be viewed by film makers, distributors and marketers from Europe, Asia and Africa would attract international investment for film production in Nigeria.

According to Etuk, Dr Chidia Maduekwe, the Managing Director of NFC, would lead the Nigeria delegation to the 10-day festival.

“The film would be a major feat for the film industry and NFC towards creating an enabling environment to boost film production, through good policies and framework,’’ he said.

He said, while in Berlin, the Nigerian delegation would initiate and participate in meetings to seek collaborations with the Film School of Berlin and other participating countries.

NAN reports that the literary work ‘Shehu Usman ‘ was first published in 1955.

It exposes the personal experiences of the Premier on the philosophy that led to the plight of slave trade in the 19th century.

It was adapted in 1976 as a film by Mr Adamu Halilu, the Pioneer MD of NFC, who headed the organisation in 1982.

The German Government has supported NFC in conducting training for its staff and has donated equipment of digital scanner to its Film School. (NAN)

https://leadership.ng/2018/02/13/film-tafawa-balewas-book-shehu-umar-premiere-germany/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4382790898

2 Likes

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by crestedaguiyi: 12:51pm On Feb 13, 2018
hehehehehe

Germany, your woes will be many. keep romancing with the devil and her associates just to come across as liberal and tolerant .

Tafawa was a slave merchant

1 Like

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by apcmustwin(f): 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
Tafawa Balewa. ... One of the best mind Nigeria ever produce. God punish those who out of greed and selfishness cut short ur life thereby plunging us to the abyss of hatred, tribalism, nepotism, distrust etc

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by blessedmeme: 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
Ok we don hear
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by brunofarad(m): 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
Next
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by Moreoffaith(m): 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
NO BE THE MAN WEY DEY 5NAIRA BE THIS?
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by obiZEAL(m): 3:12pm On Feb 13, 2018
2019forDuke

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by Satansadvocate(m): 3:13pm On Feb 13, 2018
Please someone should remind Buhari that is not the Premiere of Fulani Herdsmen rampaging documentry that he has been waiting for so he should not go and waste his time there

1 Like

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by Nigeriabiafra80: 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2018
in their backgrounds, in their religious beliefs and customs and do not show themselves any signs of willingness to unite … Nigerian unity is only a British invention” – Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, 1948.

Why should nigeria be one

1 Like

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by Badboiz(m): 3:25pm On Feb 13, 2018
Hmmm
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by seuncyrus(m): 3:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
Oh
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by BafanaBafana: 3:32pm On Feb 13, 2018
Children of hate will not like this. It pains them to the bone when they hear anything positive about other tribes.

8 Likes

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by smokedfish: 3:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
Ehen
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by kestolove95(m): 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2018
the golden voice of Africa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by farouk0403(m): 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2018
They will always have some negative things to say

They can keep nagging but wont knack us down.

1 Like

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by danvon(m): 3:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
apcmustwin:

Tafawa Balewa. ... One of the best mind Nigeria ever produce. God punish those who out of greed and selfishness cut short ur life thereby plunging us to the abyss of hatred, tribalism, nepotism, distrust etc
You mean the man buried with honors by Gowon?
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by dukecharles(m): 3:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
obiZEAL:
2019forDuke

Let him declare his interest first, we re ready to give him 30 million votes

2 Likes

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by patwilly(m): 4:22pm On Feb 13, 2018
How do I get this book? Had a copy when I was in primary school but lost it. A very interesting read about young shehu sold into slavery at a very young age, first to Kano and then across the sahara to Egypt? Ultimately his mum goes out to look for him or perish in the attempt. She got caught by slave raiders and was sold to a slaver in Tripoli. Shehu completes his Koranic education with flying colours and convinces his kind master to journey back to Kano. As providence will have it, in the course of the journey,they rest in the house of the Tripoli slaver. Shehu is reunited with his mother, buys her freedom and the entire party continue their journey. On the way his Ill mother dies and in great anguish, he buries his mother. The caravan continue their journey across the sahara but are caught up in a very dangerous sandstorm which separates every member of the caravan party. Shehu after three days and nearly dying of thirst sees his camel and takes a drink. He meets kind travellers thereafter and continues his journey.
This book is a very compelling read even though my memory of it is still a bit hazy as its been twenty long years I read it..in primary school, but I still remember how enamoured I was by the sheer weight of emotion the author was able to pass through the characters to the reader. its historical connotation cannot as well be disregarded in view of its perfect description of the trans-saharan slave trade. I think the original version was written in Hausa but was translated to English by another author. A fine book by Nigeria's first prime minister which offers insight as well into life in northern Nigeria as it were long before the days of colonialism. A very important aspect of northern Nigerian literature which unfortunately, no authors from that part of the country have taken it upon themselves to write about. I think there has been a dearth of real Nigerian authors from the north in the mould of chinua Achebe, cyprain ekwensi , woke Soyinka etc and this means there's virtually no compelling, easily available literature from that part of the country. This as well means its culture, heritage and tradition remains a mystery to so many persons like myself.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by AnanseK(m): 4:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
Yes, Balewa the first and only Prime Minister of Nigeria, murdered in cold blood by the tribalist cowards led by Chukwuma Nzeagwu and Emmanuel ifeajuna in their ethnic cleansing massacre of january 1966. Nigeria has never known peace since then.

3 Likes

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by femijay8271(m): 4:50pm On Feb 13, 2018
poisegroup:

Be A certified Automotive Engineer/Technician. Enrol for the Graduate Training Program

These days, being an Auto Tech is all about having the necessary technical skill set. call us on O 9 O 6 1 6 2 3 2 9 9. New classes starts March, 2018

pls where is ur office located?
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by EazyMoh(m): 4:57pm On Feb 13, 2018
patwilly:
How do I get this book? Had a copy when I was in primary school but lost it. A very interesting read about going shehu sold into slavery at a very young age, first to Kano then across the sahara to Egypt? ultimately his mum says out to look for him or perish in the attempt. She got caught by slave raider and was sold to a slaver in Tripoli. Shehu completes his Koranic education with flying colours and convinces his kind master to journey back to Kano. as providence will have it, in the course of the journey the rest at the house of the Tripoli slaver. Shehu is reunited with his mother, buys her freedom and tge entire party continue their journey. On the way his I'll mother dies and in great anguish buries his mother. The caravan continue their journey across the sahara but are caught up in a very dangerous sandstorm which separates every member of the caravan party. Shehu after three days and nearly dying of thirst sees his camel and takes a drink. he meets kind travellers thereafter and continues his journey.
This book is a very compelling read even though my memory of it is still a bit hazy as its been twenty long years I read it..in primary school, but I still remember how enamoured I was by the sheer weight of emotion the author was able to pass through the characters to the reader. its historical connotation cannot as well be disregarded in view of its perfect description of the trans-saharan slave trade. I think the original version was written in Hausa but was translated to English by another author. A fine book by Nigeria's first prime minister which offers insight as well into life in northern Nigeria as it were long before the days of colonialism. A very important aspect of northern Nigerian literature which unfortunately, no authors from that part of the country have taken it upon themselves to write about. I think there has been a dearth of real Nigerian authors from the north in the mould of chinua Achebe, cyprain ekwensi , woke Soyinka etc and this means there's virtually no compelling, easily available literature from that part of the country. This as well means its culture, heritage and tradition remains a mystery to so many persons like myself.
You can get original copy from Zamani Bookshop in Kano or Karina states. I can mail you a copy if you aren't in northern Nigeria.
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by ItsMeAboki(m): 5:09pm On Feb 13, 2018
apcmustwin:

Ameen; God punish them and all their generations.
Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by Danladi7: 6:26pm On Feb 13, 2018
tafawa balewa,the man that bought Iboe / biafrans as slaves from nnamdi azikwe grin

while awolowo was leader of opposition to their master/slave government grin

1 Like

Re: ‘Shehu Umar’: Film On Tafawa Balewa’s Book To Premiere In Germany by blackjack21(m): 6:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
Good man
Great man
Yet, not greatly good.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teen Wolf Season 5 / Your Favorite Bollywood Actor/actress / Watch/download: Dune Movie (2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.