Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,488 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them (6406 Views)

Top 5 Causes Of Business Failure And How To Avoid Them / Mistakes Most Online Shoppers In Nigeria Make And How To Avoid Them. / 7 Top Mistakes You Need To Avoid Before Running A Facebook Ad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by youngmajor: 10:41am On Feb 14, 2018
[img]https://1.bp..com/-MIpE-0NLgo0/WoQBZ4tQt5I/AAAAAAAAAKA/vzrc5TVjQ7cYeVaI97EFOqyuInUK-oycQCLcBGAs/s1600/frustrated-freelancer.jpg[/img]

Being a freelancer offers lots of freedom and independence that’s impossible to have in a typical office environment. Many freelancers tend to get lost in this freedom that they fail to realize they are making some mistakes. These mistakes mitigate their effectiveness and ultimately make them earn far lesser than they could.

If you’re are a freelancer, chances are that you’re already making some of these mistakes. Very few freelancers get to realize these mistakes and fix them on their own. If you’re an aspiring freelancer, you can avoid these mistakes that are rife in the freelance world.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at these mistakes.

1. Know your worth

Many freelancers determine their worth based on the default price range of the freelance platform. Others let the client decide for them. This is wrong on many levels because you may never really earn as you should if you don’t take a stand in determining the pricing of your skills and time.

While some clients know how much their projects should cost, some just don’t know. Either way, both categories would always want to get the lowest budget possible. However, there’s another category that doesn’t care how much the project costs them; they just want huge value for the budget.

Nevertheless, you need to determine your worth. You must ensure you don’t undervalue your skills neither do you place a price tag on them that is way beyond the value you can offer your clients. To help you determine your worth, you need to ask questions like:

• Did you go to school or took a course to learn the skills you’re offering?
• How much years of experience do you have on the job?
• How updated are you as regards the latest trends towards a better service delivery?
• Are you skills highly sought after?
• How professional are you? Etc.

These are just a few questions to guide you while you ascertain your worth.

2. Know when to shut up

The need to earn more makes a lot of freelancers commit severe blunders. Often times, the red flags were visible that the project may not end well, but they ignored it. Was it carelessness or desperation?

When relating with clients, you need to know when it’s pointless pushing if further. For instance, a client who is getting too familiar should be carefully observed. Or did you notice that the client was grumpy and complaining while giving you a brief of the project? It could be a bad omen.

Sometimes, you don’t need to shut up because of the client; you need to shut up because of you. Most clients are business people who have a target and deadlines to meet. It therefore doesn’t make sense to delay their projects when you’re swamped with orders and you know you can’t deliver within the required time. Doing a shoddy job will not only make you lose a client forever, it also means you get a bad review or even forfeit the budget to the client for poor delivery.

To add under this point, you don’t need to tell the client all about yourself. Learn to be discreet and know what to divulge.

3. Know when to stop

Freelance can be quite demanding and time consuming. Your clientele is increasing and the rate of the orders is coming in a bit too quickly. Your business is booming but you’re also getting pressed from all sides. Does this sound familiar?

Freelance is awesome and gives you the privilege to earn as much as the hours you put in. However, you need to learn to take a break. Don’t get so consumed in your business not to notice that your health is not getting proper attention.

Quite a number of freelancers have broken down at various points and were forced to take a lengthy leave from the online business. Except you have a routine that gives you time to exercise and have some “me-time”, a break is too important to your health for you to ignore.

Furthermore, you need to also learn to give time to your social life. Don’t forget your friends, remember your family and take that break! Doing so will make you alive to each day and enhance your effectiveness.

4. Know the importance of branding
Freelance is moving beyond the sphere of just having skills to the stage of building a brand. Branding in business is crucial that global companies pump millions of dollars every year to create or sustain their brand. Many times, the difference between a small company is not in the quality of products but in the branding.

It’s not too different when it comes to freelance. You need to create a brand rather than just focus...

More: http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2018/02/5-top-mistakes-freelancers-make-and-how.html

What other mistakes do you think freelancers are making?

2 Likes

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by mrphysics(m): 3:32pm On Feb 14, 2018
Moniker changed, still the same person. Importexpert

6 Likes

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Donald3d(m): 3:33pm On Feb 14, 2018
Very true .It pays being a freelancer when you know what you are doing and you don't stop learning

4 Likes

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by BizLifeE: 3:33pm On Feb 14, 2018
I am going to read this thing again.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 14, 2018
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by cystem(m): 3:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
So true.

Contact Ceeloaded Media for your PR services. We get to show off your concerns to the right target audience. See more on www.ceeloaded.com
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 14, 2018
True
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Valfrankie(m): 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2018
Wow!!! Someone needs to see this
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Arsenalholic(m): 3:48pm On Feb 14, 2018
mrphysics:
I swear. All his threads be making FP in different monikers.

Yet, they said:

19. Don't use alternate accounts to access Nairaland...

Seun and his bunch of ****** mods. Una well done o

1 Like

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by blessme105: 3:48pm On Feb 14, 2018
mrphysics:
He can never change.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Emmyk(m): 3:52pm On Feb 14, 2018
cool
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Krafty006: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
never stop learning.....quality custom shoes 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by mrphysics(m): 3:57pm On Feb 14, 2018
Arsenalholic:
I swear. All his threads be making FP in different monikers.

Yet, they said:

Seun and his bunch of ****** mods. Una well done o
Lol, treat Nairaland rules like Nigerian constitution. It's only for the poor, it doesn't affect the whales.

Who told you they don't know people with alternate monikers?
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Arsenalholic(m): 4:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
mrphysics:

Lol, treat Nairaland rules like Nigerian constitution. It's only for the poor, it doesn't affect the whales.

Who told you they don't know people with alternate monikers?
After they will say Nigerian government is bad bla bla bla.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by mrphysics(m): 4:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
Arsenalholic:
After they will say Nigerian government is bad bla bla bla.
Everyone knows the truth about the everything.

Most times, I wonder if this people pay seun and his moderators
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Arsenalholic(m): 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
mrphysics:

Everyone knows the truth about the everything.

Most times, I wonder if this people pay seun and his moderators
I think that much is obvious.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by umarshehu58(m): 4:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
Check my Signature for more
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by mommaJ(f): 4:57pm On Feb 14, 2018
GOOD DAY NAIRALANDERS.I M STILL HERE...DONT GIVE UP ON ME YET. https://www.nairaland.com/4312232/husbanda-good-man-help#64524181
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Wynnah(m): 5:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
Nice Write up....
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by phpfx(m): 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
I started freelancing since last year, I didmt earn a fime toll now.. whats the secret pls?

1 Like

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by designVATExcel: 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
No 1 is the Koko, particularly for service based freelancers. Product based can easily markup the COGs (cost of goods) but for services it's quite tricky.

Determining the right price to charge.

1 Like

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by vezycash(m): 5:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
phpfx:
I started freelancing since last year, I didn't earn a dime toll now.. whats the secret pls?

Here's the secret if you can decode it: No yahoo boy says he's from 9ja.

7 Likes

Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Pilot4Airbus(m): 8:47pm On Feb 14, 2018
vezycash:

I swear down mehnnnn

For like 6 months no orders, I vex change country la gender this December , got 2 orders... at least people dey follow me talk sef unlike before nobody dey ping me.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Maxcollins042(m): 10:51pm On Feb 14, 2018
Valfrankie:
Please how much is the average payment for a freelancer in Nigeria? My Brother is being paid 50k monthly and he writes 3 original content articles everyday. He is feeling overworked and underpaid. But I told him the pay was great for the job. I'd need your input
how many words does he write per day?
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Valfrankie(m): 10:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Maxcollins042(m): 11:09pm On Feb 14, 2018
Valfrankie:
400 words on average
Approximately that's 1500 words per day. The pay is fairly okay. In fact your bros is enjoying o. 1500 words per day for N50k at the end of every month is nothing he should be complaining about.
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Valfrankie(m): 11:34pm On Feb 14, 2018
Maxcollins042:

Thank you. Will show him this
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Valfrankie(m): 11:35pm On Feb 14, 2018
[quote author=Maxcollins042][/quote]
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by Valfrankie(m): 11:45pm On Feb 14, 2018
[quote author=Maxcollins042 [/quote]
Re: Top Mistakes Freelancers Make And How To Avoid Them by phpfx(m): 12:35am On Feb 15, 2018
vezycash:

lol..thanks...i never thought it this way

(1) (Reply)

Banks Make N124bn From E-transactions / 14 Investors Drag CBN, SEC To Supreme Court Over N23.7bn / 5 Years Without Strike: Kogi State Students Thank Yahayo Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.