Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue (18103 Views)

Drivers Should Be Observant Of These 10 Common Car Issues / Top 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Not True / 9 Most Common Car-buying Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Automotive1(m): 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2018

There are a number of myths that persist in the automotive world. You may have heard of advice that would actually do more harm than good. How do these common car myths keep going? Sometimes they're about something that used to be true several years ago and is now outdated, and other times they're full of facts that have been twisted beyond the point of recognition.

Here are 8 common car facts that are actually completely untrue

1)Premium Fuel Makes Your Regular Car Run Better
High performance cars need premium fuel to prevent the engine from knocking.Premium fuel isn’t purer or cleaner, but rather less combustible.Filling high performance cars with regular fuel will cut power and the engine will suffer.
So filling your Camry with premium fuel than your owner's manual recommends offers no benefit,since it doesn’t need a less combustible fuel. 

2)You Need To Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles
The old adage has been to change your car’s or truck’s oil at 3,000 miles with precise regularity. 
With modern technology, most cars can go as far as 7,500 to 10,000 miles without fresh oil.To be sure, you should just go with your manufacturer’s changing your oil recommendation.

3)Engine Oil That’s Turned Black Is Not Good
Engine oil that turns black is actually a sign that the oil is working. Modern engine oils contain detergent-dispersant additives that keep engine internal parts clean by removing carbon deposits and maintaining them in harmless suspension in the oil.

It is better to have the carbon deposits in the oil so they can be drained off than to have them left as deposits in the engine where they could do the most damage.

4)Hiding Behind A Car Will Protect You From Gunfire.
The belief was popularized by Hollywood films.While some bullets may not be powerful enough to cut through steel in old cars, the same cannot be said for newer car models. Though the engine block area provides the best cover, it is still a hit and miss whether or not you will be protected.

5)Bullets Can Make Your Gas Tank Explode
Hollywood and Nollywood movies also taught us that shooting a bullet through a car’s fuel tank will trigger a massive explosion,but that is an extreme exaggeration. Bullets go right through the tank, without explosion, and where there’s no ignition there’s also no explosion.

6)Using The A/C Is Better For Fuel Economy Than Opening The Windows
According to a study by GM and SAE, turning the A/C on uses more fuel than driving with the windows down,but recommend using it since, using the A/C helps keep the driver alert and more comfortable.
Driving with the windows down also makes your car engine work harder, as a result of the aerodynamic drag.

7)You Should Let Your Car Warm Up For Several Minutes Before Driving
Unless you’re driving a vehicle that relies on a carburetor, something that was replaced by electronic fuel injection in the ‘80s.Most manufacturers recommend driving off gently after about 30 seconds as engine will warm up faster being driven, which will allow the heat to turn on sooner, decrease your fuel costs, and reduce emissions.

8 )Old Cars Are Safer Than New Ones
Then, it’s an undeniable fact that classic car were safer to drive in because their steel frames can handle impacts better than today’s economy boxes.
But today's modern cars were designed with “crumple zones” that deliberately collapse with impact to distribute the force more safely. The addition of airbags and safety belts has also drastically increased the survivability of on-road accidents when compared to old cars.

Which one are you guilty of? Feel free to add to the lists above

Source https://autojosh.com/8-common-car-facts-actually-completely-untrue/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2018
9. having sex in a car will damage the engine.

untrue, Mubby's car is still doing well 5years on. grin

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Aldebaran(m): 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2018
Automotive1:

2)You Need To Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles
You r right

4)Hiding Behind A Car Will Protect You From Gunfire.
Dangerous grin Don't try it with modern cars

5)Bullets Can Make Your Gas Tank Explode
Dangerous play cheesy

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

GAZZUZZ:

Hmm ,about the sex part. How true is it?
Fact or myth

4 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by HUSTLEOFMAN: 9:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
I've never believed that number 6.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:55am On Feb 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Lolz, its actually the gearbox they say! mubbys car is still alright but kingreign nko, has he told u the story of his car? lolz

6 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by jaychubi: 4:52am On Feb 16, 2018
If you swear with your engine on something you kw it's untrue the car will kill u in a fatal accident grin grin grin

Never tried it so someone shld try it and confirm if it's really true or false shocked

12 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by kingreign(m): 6:49am On Feb 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Lolz, its actually the gearbox they say! mubbys car is still alright but kingreign nko, has he told u the story of his car? lolz

Fixed wink

3 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by afelouz(m): 6:56am On Feb 16, 2018
I never believed any of this though but thank for sharing grin

3 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by lordraiden(m): 6:58am On Feb 16, 2018
Which one be premium fuel again all I know is fuel from fueling stations

10 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by nony43(m): 6:58am On Feb 16, 2018
Strafing in your car, knock your xar

4 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Professor101(m): 6:59am On Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Fogman(m): 7:05am On Feb 16, 2018
* Bigger engines keep you safe during crashes.
* White coloured cars cost less

4 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by seanswitch(m): 7:05am On Feb 16, 2018
SUV's don't tumble? Compound lie.

5 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by stano2(m): 7:07am On Feb 16, 2018
Nice one

Op, I always see guys use black oil for small generators, is it safe?

2 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by R0ckefeller: 7:09am On Feb 16, 2018
about tank explosion with bullet that depends on the bullet and weapon type

5 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by deepwater(f): 7:12am On Feb 16, 2018
If your car kills a pepeye
You will have accident

18 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by ironheart(m): 7:15am On Feb 16, 2018
Big exhaust will increase your speed.

Remove thermostat because Nigeria is too hot

Connect fan direct to cool faster

8 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Alejoas(m): 7:15am On Feb 16, 2018
Naija I hail o o..... We are not even trying to reverse engineer these things
.. Dumping ground

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by sisisioge: 7:19am On Feb 16, 2018
grin grin grin

I like that the famous fancy mechanic up there is also sexy...na the only thing wey I read be that wink

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by WrathOfHadez(m): 7:20am On Feb 16, 2018
No. 6 is often complicated. driving around at 40mph with A/C will take up more fuel than driving with windows down at same speed because there’s not much aerodynamic hindrance by the wind at that rate.

But driving 60 or 70 mph with the windows down should take up more fuel than driving with A/C at same speed because with the windows down at such speed, there will be enough hindrance by the on rushing wind.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by timifakay(m): 7:21am On Feb 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Nah curse of him Indian girlfriend wey he jilt catch him through that car nah.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 16, 2018
shooting a bullet into tank has a high rate of ecplosion, its not just the bullet, but other inflammble materials the leaking fuel comes in contact with, apart from heat and fire, friction is enough to ignite fuel.

3 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by obafemee80(m): 7:24am On Feb 16, 2018
seanswitch:
SUV's don't tumble? Compound lie.
They are the easiest to rollover grin

deepwater:
If your car kills a pepeye
You will have accident
Lols grin you still remember the myth

3 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by ogbiwa: 7:24am On Feb 16, 2018
1. Didn't know this before, though I've never bothered with premium fuel when we've not even seen the regular one

2. Never believed this anyway. Different cars come with different specifications for oil change. Unfortunately it's our lazy kazeems who will recommend same oil changing schedules for '92 datsun and '05 Accord, simply because "oga your exhaust smoke don de black".

3. You caught me grin. This is the staple oil test for every Nigerian DIY driver grin

4. You mean Jack Bauer has been lying to us? shocked shocked

5. For the records, one bullet, in certain situations, may not be enough to make a car explode. But multiple bullets can a.) puncture the fuel tank causing fuel to leak out and pour on the ground and b.) a second bullet fired into the fuel on the ground can cause a spark because of friction between metal bullet and concrete floor which is enough to ignite the fuel and eventually lead to an explosion.

6. I actually don't know which of the myths you're trying to debunk here, but I've always been of the opinion that in a good car, AC with closed windows will always save more fuel than no AC and open windows especially at higher speeds. It's simple aerodynamics. An enclosed car will simply glide through while an open car has wind forces counteracting on the engine's forward thrust, resulting in more force required on the engine. This is why an enclosed car accelerates quicker and maintains top speed effortlessly but doing just 100 in an open car feels like you're actually doing breakneck speed.

7. I remember a former colleague, while giving me the "secrets" to her engine's longevity, telling me how she starts her car and allows it "warm" for about 15mins every morning before leaving for work, and she drives a new generation Toyota. I remember thinking two things 1.) Who has 15 mins every morning when you're rushing off and 2.) who has fuel to burn idle for 15 mins every morning! I sha fulfill righteousness and do 1-2 mins when I remember, other times I start and zoom off before I "remember" grin

8. Older cars are "stronger", newer cars are equipped with more safety technology. In a crash, both factors play an important role in safeguarding the car's occupants. Cos I've seen newer model cars with all the technology, disfigured beyond recognition in crashes, same as older models. The best way to be safe in a car is to drive safe.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by anibirelawal(m): 7:25am On Feb 16, 2018
That number 5 seems to be true. an extremely hot bullet hitting a iron tank of fuel may ingnite sparks.

am just saying, wetin i know sef? grin

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by kingreign(m): 7:30am On Feb 16, 2018
timifakay:

Nah curse of him Indian girlfriend wey he jilt catch him through that car nah.
Still studying my tropical geomorphology EVM 612...
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by papi22(m): 7:30am On Feb 16, 2018
i no get moto
na bicycle i get. Is it dat person no fit sleep on top of bicycle?

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by timifakay(m): 7:31am On Feb 16, 2018
kingreign:

Still studying my tropical geomorphology EVM 612...

LOL..
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by correctguy101(m): 7:33am On Feb 16, 2018
Guilty of driving with windows down. Chai, fuel no dey na wink
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by correctguy101(m): 7:35am On Feb 16, 2018
papi22:
i no get moto
na bicycle i get. Is it dat person no fit sleep on top of bicycle?
Have baba, you can sleep on your bicycle na....
But if you fall break your wrist, no say dem no wan you o wink
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by SoulB6: 7:43am On Feb 16, 2018
jaychubi:
If you swear with your engine on something you kw it's untrue the car will kill u in a fatal accident grin grin grin

Never tried it so someone shld try it and confirm if it's really true or false shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elizade Motors Opens Assembly Plant In Lagos / 11 Ferrari Facts You Should Know / Choice Of Engine Oil ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.