Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,255 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (30818 Views)

Archbishop Of Canterbury urges Anglicans In Uganda to resist anti-gay Law / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by chikachuks1(m): 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2018
The aim of this article is to explain why the Anglican Church celebrate ash Wednesday. Most times, Pentecostal churches tend to condemn and speak against almost every practice of the Orthodox Church. But I hope this article will be meaningful and in turn convince as many as possible, but for the doubting Thomas’s, I do not know what else to do. I can only talk of Anglican because of my Anglican background, but I will not be able to talk much about Catholics and other orthodox churches. Although they all celebrate this event, yet I will not be able to place the exact reason why they do it.

Ash Wednesday is celebrated in the Anglican Church to mark the beginning of lent. Lent is a period of fasting and prayer which is observed by all Anglicans worldwide. It is celebrated once in a year and it terminates with the celebration of Easter. The lenting period for the Anglican Church lasts for a period of 40 days but ash Wednesday is celebrated 46 days to Easter. The fasting lasts for 40 days because the number 40 is a unique number. Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights and Moses also fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Thus the Anglican Church fasts for 40 days. Many other churches fast for as long as they can or as short as they can. For example, RCCG fasted for 100 straight days in 2017 and 50 straight days in 2018, yet in July, they will also embark on another fasting for 30 days to complete 80 days fasting. Some other churches fast for the first 7 days of every year, some fast the last 7 days of every year, yet others fix their fast within the year. Islam fast 30 days to their sallah. Thus, the subject of fasting is not a new thing; neither did it originate from the Anglican Church. The lenting period occurs at a calculated time. As earlier stated, ash Wednesday occurs 46 days to Easter. The Anglican church do not fast on Sundays and as such, this lenting period lasts for 7 week (46 days) minus 6 Sundays in which no fasting is done. It is expected that every Anglican join in this yearly and spiritual exercise.

There are basically two major reasons why the church still celebrates Ash Wednesday which I am here to highlight.

The first reason why we still celebrate Ash Wednesday is because it is a sign of genuine repentance, sober reflection and sorrow. Dating back to the Old Testament, we see that ash was used severally on different occasions to mourn or bewail issues like; pronounced judgement, sorrow of heart, remorse and repentance. Perhaps, the following scripture references would throw more light. Job.42v6, Esther.4v1-3, 2Samuel.13v19, Jeremiah.6v26.25v34, Daniel.9v3. Jonah.3v6, Matthew.11v21, Luke.10v13. These few verses show us that ashes are been used basically as a sign of repentance and Jesus confirmed it validity as we see in Matthew and Luke. For this reason, the lenting period starts with the Ash Wednesday to show that the season is a season of sober reflection. It is a season of genuine repentance which ushers us to fast and pray, calling on the Lord Most High with a pure heart and a holy hand.

The second reason why Ash Wednesday is celebrated in the Anglican Communion is to remind us who we are. No matter the extent of our greatness and achievement, it a sad news to know that we are just ash and dust. This is why in a typical Anglican burial scenario, you will see or hear the following lines, “earth to earth, dust to dust, ash to ash”. With these statements, the grave of the dead person is covered. Therefore, we must constantly remind ourselves whom we are and not go about thinking that we are what we are not. With this in mind, it will help every Christian worldwide to understand the more that we are all ash and one day we will return back to ash while the soul returns to God.

Do We Just Pick Up Ash From Anywhere
This is another important question that i will not fail to answer. Do we pick up ash from anywhere, since ash do not have its types? The answer is NO. We do not just use any kind of ash for this celebration. We get a palm frond, burn it and use that ash for the celebration. Palm frond is selected because when Jesus went triumphantly into Jerusalem, the people got palm frond and st it om the ground for His ass to walk on it. For this reason, the Anglican church use the ash gotten from palm frond.

May God help us so that this celebration will not just be to fulfill all righteousness. One of the major reason why it seems as if Christianity is losing its value day by day is because some of those things which were instituted our Christian fathers are now been abused and carried out just to fulfill all righteousness. So if you are looking for the reason behind the ash Wednesday, then I have done a little justice to it. If you love this article and you believe its content, then go ahead and share it to all and sundry.

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/meaning-ash-wednesday-anglicans-celebrate/

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by mine85(m): 10:30am On Feb 26, 2020
But most anglican churches don't put ash on our fore head again.. Why

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
In the spirit of the Lent season.

This is a Lent prayers from all of us @[/color]........
Almighty and ever living God, 
you invite us deeper into your world, your people, your Lent.
May this time be one of outward focus;
seeking you in those we often ignore. 
Help us live a Lent focused on freedom, generosity, and encounter. 
Give us hearts hungry to serve you
and those who need what we have to give.
While fasting with the body,
brothers and sisters,
let us also fast in spirit.
Let us lose every bond of iniquity;
let us undo the knots of every contact made by violence;
let us tear up all unjust agreements;
let us give bread to the hungry
and welcome to our house
the poor who have no roof to cover them,
that we may receive mercy from Christ our God.

And lastly, let us put our darling country ([color=#006600]Nigeria) in prayers.
May God answer our prayers in this month of Lent.
Prayers going up..........

Alexaonfleek:
Amen....
God bless you Alexa.
@Your Diaries,
May God answer your heart desires this lent period.
Stevewonder004:

Amen
God bless you too Steven.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Nnamebuka: 12:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
Still don't understand why Religions major in minor things undecided

Even in all that write up, there's no direct traceable scripture that supports the pagan practice?

19 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Architectben34(m): 12:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
Happy Ash Wednesday nairaland people

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Aturitoroman: 12:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nice
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Vimhomoh: 12:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
Interesting smiley
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by autofreak2020(m): 12:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
Happy celebration.

That's really a fantastic clarification on the issue of ash Wednesday. I know nothing about it until this very moment.

I am Abimbola, Lead Strategist at Kobobrand Inc.
We help business owners with free business growth hacks.

4 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Namegetan: 12:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
Hmmmmmm okay I'll obey next time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by ikorodureporta: 12:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
End of the year fasting, beginning of the year fasting, now 40 days Easter fasting...

only if people dey truly respect their vows
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Wettoid123: 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
So significant to the catholics but I wonder why the protestant churches don't observed ash wednesday.

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by airminem(f): 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
Rip kaka

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by DrChukki: 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
I Love Catholic Church

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by hisexcellency34: 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
To me, it's nothing but ritual. Just like bowing down for the statue of Mary. I cant do that for anything

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by pennywys(m): 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
;
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by pennywys(m): 12:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
Proudly Catholic

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Hotzone(m): 12:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
Ash is my best color as well as ‘BLACK’ Friday

Life is soft

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Tectono: 12:18pm On Feb 26, 2020
Ash Wednesday marks the commencement of Lenten season. It equally shows you that you were created out of ash and you will someday become ash again. Meanwhile, click on the links on my signature to master how you will make excess of N3,000,000 profit per plot from investment in Ibeju Lekki plots of land.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by meum: 12:18pm On Feb 26, 2020
cool
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Kingpele(m): 12:22pm On Feb 26, 2020
You are right please ignore those who will come here to talk trash, if a human being can decide on his own to dismiss the existence of his maker, but fail to logically prove God unexistence, you tell me if there is someone as foolish as this one

3 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by ugolinze123(m): 12:23pm On Feb 26, 2020
Anglican or Catholics... its practiced more by Catholics than the Anglican communion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
I have a question.

Anglican churches in the south eastern part of Nigeria don't practice it. They claim they came out of Roman catholic and any body from catholic joining them must denounce their pagan worship and doctrines.

How come the south western anglicans still practice these pagan doctrine of the Roman catholic? I need answer on this.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by nwamabo247(m): 12:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
This is pure Catholic practice you just mention, the Ash is gotten from the palm fronds we use on Palm Sunday feast after it been burn a day before Ash Wednesday

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Engrr(m): 12:28pm On Feb 26, 2020
Bros all your points are correct but you were stressing on Anglican but forgot to mention that Anglican borrowed all these from Catholic
......Even the first picture you uploaded shows a Catholic priest!.... Anglicans started using palm Sunday and placing of ash on the forehead on ash Wednesday recently!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by shangodele974(m): 12:28pm On Feb 26, 2020
Lenty period is d moment of reestablishing our relationship with Almighty God
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 26, 2020
Q
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by ItuExchange(m): 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
Is it only Anglicans that celebrate Ash Wednesday?

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by nwamabo247(m): 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
Wolgrace:
I have a question.

Anglican churches in the south eastern part of Nigeria don't practice it. They claim they came out of Roman catholic and any body from catholic joining them must denounce their pagan worship and doctrines.

How come the south western anglicans still practice these pagan doctrine of the Roman catholic? I need answer on this.
I think you are right the Anglican Church in my village don't observe today
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by osuofia2(m): 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
forget the protestant, most of them condemning Catholic church have turned their G.O as God carrying stickers and apron adorned with G>O's pictures as protective gears, Catholic lives, no advert we still de increase

11 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by gift2xl: 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nice 1.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Kokoebapluse(m): 12:32pm On Feb 26, 2020
All nah useless and idoltry act,

4 Likes

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Stanweezy(m): 12:33pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nairaland and old news appearing on FP

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

John Macarthur's 2013 Strange Fire Conference / Apostle S.S. Aderibigbe 2018 Prophecies: “3 Senators Will Die This Year!” / #Endsars: Six Things Every Christians Should Never Engage In.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.