Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:37 PM

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa (46432 Views)

Nembe people of Bayelsa are Igbos / Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Meet The Koma People Of Adamawa State Where Cloth Is A Prized Possession (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by fratermathy(m): 5:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
pazienza:

The colonial called Urhobo Sobos, while Isoko were called Igaboh.

The distinction was there right from the very beginning of colonial classification.

Not at all. They may have called Isokos Igaboh unofficially but the official name they called them was Sobo. Check historical documents. Infact, a book was written by J. W. Hubbard entitled The Sobo Tribe of the Niger Delta and this book listed Isoko as a dialect/group of Sobo.

When the colonial matters created the Sobo division, the Isokos were a part of it and accepted it. Infact, when the name was changed to Urhobo, the Isokos were very happy too.

In 1958, because of the fact that Isokos felt they were marginalised by the Urhobos that shared the Eastern Urhobo division with them, they moved for an Isoko division. This move was championed by James Otobo. The division was created and Isokos started to form a new political identity which metamorphosed into a distinct ethnic identity.

They have a right to decide what they want to be. However, don't distort history as you usually do. I would like to see the sources of your claim in any relevant colonial document or academic book/article.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
I believe these (the likes of frathemathy) are just children who are lost in the wilderness with no compass.
They have no idea of what they are talking about.
They won't listen to reason and would keep repeating their bogus claims no matter how many different proofs of the opposit (to their claims) you provide.
Mental illness is really on the rise in nigeria.

SicilianMafia:
The Urhobo on this thread are a monumental disgrace to Edo Nation!!

Frathemathy and co all illiterates

1 Like

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by SicilianMafia: 5:52pm On Feb 18, 2018
GUMY:
I believe these are just children who are lost in the wilderness with no compass.
They have no idea of what they are talking about.
They won't listen to reason and would keep repeating their bogus claims no matter how many different proofs of the opposit (to their claims) you provide.
Mental illness is really on the rise in nigeria.

even after what Oba Erediawa of blessed memory did for this ingrates, making sure Delta retained its Ediod status after the bendel split, Making Urhobo and isoko the majority with more LGAs more than even the itsekiri that deserved it more and parlayed the Oba for months .... Oba Erediawa had a choice between two Edo tribes and he picked this ingrates , just look how backward they have become , no political voice , zero developments, urhobo refugees trouping into Benin in lorry's... The ijaws that had just 2lgas in Delta have turned master and the Urhobo turned tools... Such a disservice .....

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by TheGreatJapan: 9:18pm On Feb 18, 2018
fratermathy:

No Edo person will talk as you do. I doubt that you are truly from Edo. If you are, you would know that Urhobos and Binis can't even communicate without an interpreter. We don't share the same worldview, dressing, culture, monarchy, etc. That we acknowledge our Edoid roots doesn't give you the liberty to hegemony.

Impostor!

They same way Isoko man can not understand Urhobo language, Urhobo man can't understand Isoko language.
Isoko is related to Yoruba pls stop claiming them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by TheGreatJapan: 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2018
fratermathy:

But historically, we have always been one people, in fact colonial masters called us Sobo people and Isokos were known as Eastern Urhobos for a while until 1958 when Isoko division was created.

My point: the division you are trying to emphasise is only a recent construct and therefore artificial. Okpe, another language under Urhobo, is barely understood by Urhobo speakers. Or is it Uvwie? Ujevwin? So abeg leave those divisive matters and focus more on how our common heritage can bring us together for the common good.

Stop writing rubbish about Isoko, Isoko is related to Yoruba and have nothing in common with wayo Urhobo people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
@thegreatjapan,

If one follows your logics, each house should have its own king. In each kingdom, the king can't be everywhere at the same time. The King generally leaves in what is referred to as the capiatal of the Kingdom. It is therefor funny for a citizen who is not in the capital to refer to the King as the King of the people in the capital.
You claim the Benin Kingdom to be no more, and you now have your "own" king ?
How so, what is the history behind your "own" king ?
How does his kingdom actually exist ?
This is all the fruit of lack of historical knowledge, you are one of the lost youth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
Kid, go back to the playgrounds, history is not an emotional affair.
History is about things which have already happened, keep your feelings out of it and just accept it because there is nothing you ca do to change it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by MiyettiAllah: 12:07am On Feb 19, 2018
GUMY:
Kid, go back to the playgrounds, history is not an emotional affair.
History is about things which have already happened, keep your feelings out of it and just accept it because there is nothing you ca do to change it.

LOL a faceless forum it is indeed.

I can bet you’re not a Historian by training & qualification. If you are, it’d be certainly at the UG level at most.

Historians are wordsmiths, top rated analysts and fact fanatic. You, my friend, are non of the above. If you did History at the first degree level then you have a lot of brushing up to do; if History is not your trade then appreciate your limit and keep at it.

To show History is an emotional affair for you, we can compare thoughts and sources on Bini military History in Yoruba land using European sources or locally written works with European sources as references.

I promise that your subjectivity as far as Bini ‘empire’ spread goes will fall right through.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 19, 2018
You have nothing to teach me and your take on history is emotional, not factual.
You are deriding yourself by pretending to have any sort of objectivity.
Why you want to discuss history knowing full well that you have nothing (except books written by yoruba people in the colonial and post colonial era) to quote is beyond me. It seems you guys sometimes believe that you can change the past with deceptive argumentation.
The past has already happened, accept it and move on.

MiyettiAllah:

LOL a faceless forum it is indeed.

I can bet you’re not a Historian by training & qualification. If you are, it’d be certainly at the UG level at most.

Historians are wordsmiths, top rated analysts and fact fanatic. You, my friend, are non of the above. If you did History at the first degree level then you have a lot of brushing up to do; if History is not your trade then appreciate your limit and keep at it.

To show History is an emotional affair for you, we can compare thoughts and sources on Bini military History in Yoruba land using European sources or locally written works with European sources as references.

I promise that your subjectivity as far as Bini ‘empire’ spread goes will fall right through.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by MiyettiAllah: 12:15am On Feb 19, 2018
GUMY:
You have nothing to teach me and your take on history is emotional, not factual.
Why you want to discuss history knowing full well that you have nothing (except books written by yoruba people in the colonial and post colonial era) to quote is beyond me. It seems you guys sometimes believe that you can change the past with deceptive argumentation.

OK I have heard you.

Now, start by citing at least 5 books upon which your claims of Bini’s military incursion in ‘most part of Yoruba land’ is based and I promise to spend the coming days at the library at work either physically or online reading them.

This is the first test towards your objectivity.

I’m waiting.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 19, 2018
The fact that after violating rule 2 the pro-yoruba moderators decided to take no action against you doesn't really make me want to talk to you.
The fact that you think you can order me arround is just an other show of your mindlessness.
The fact that you are asking for "books" is an other sign of lack of intelligence.
Let me just help you: type gallica on nairaland or just go through my posts.
Be smart enough, I owe you nothing and I already told you that I don't have time to discuss history with an emotional toddler who seems to be convinced of his "superior intellect".

MiyettiAllah:

OK I have heard you.

Now, start by citing at least 5 books upon which your claims of Bini’s military incursion in ‘most part of Yoruba land’ is based and I promise to spend the coming days at the library at work either physically or online reading them.

This is the first test towards your objectivity.

I’m waiting.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by MiyettiAllah: 12:34am On Feb 19, 2018
GUMY:

Wait, you talk of objectivity and emotions yet you write the emboldened?

- If you don’t understand, I mean, in History as a professional field nobody writes anything and it becomes widely accepted without the hurdle of massive scrutiny world over?

- Did you know the books written by Yoruba historians in colonial & pre-colonial times were and are still subjected to scrutinity till today and are held as solid works all over the world?

- Did you know that poorly researched worked is enough to ruin a Historian’s career not to mention falsified claims?

- Did you know that those works you scoff at are in the libraries of top schools all over the world? And they regard them as classics?

- Did you know that no Historian of Benin origin has come out to write most of the claims you lot pass off as facts on the internet?

- Did you know the reason none of your sons/daughters who are Historians have written/published your claims on NL is because they are baseless emotional rants with no factual basis that will lead to career suicide if embarked upon?

- Did you know that your revisionism which you consider ‘History’ has its roots in just one book in the whole world written by your Oba?

- Did you know every serious academic treats that book like a used toilet paper? They avoid it because it is utter tosh.

- Did you know that Bini were the first to have contact with the Europeans & the first to get their Education?

- Did you know it is not the fault of the Yoruba that we have better History than you do so much that we began to document in writing from Samuel Johnson?

- Did you know if your revisionisms held water, European researchers who are looking to break new grounds would have tapped into it?

- Did you know Europeans see Bini’s History as exagerrated and it is why they refer to it as a ‘Kingdom’.

- Did you know it is only you lot who refer to Benin as an empire? Every scholar who knows his onions refer to it as a kingdom because that is what it is.

- Did you know Bini’s military exploits were largely within the present day Edo region and its vestiges outside Edo region is largely due to trade and migration?

- Did you know that despite Bini’s acclaimed military might that Ogedengbe an Ijesa man marched against Bini but your Oba had to beg & placate him?

- Did you know your Oba’s revisionst junk was based off of emotions from the 1960s at the Western Regions house meetings that led to the struggle for the creation of Mid Western state.

If we get to debating, I can cite numerous European literatures but you will only be citing your Oba’s book a whole lot of ‘dem say, dem say rants’ off as facts. Going by this, do you now know that you are the one who will be arguing off of emotions & not book citations?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 19, 2018
Sometimes the only way to deal with fools is to ignore them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlUMUGUorw

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 19, 2018
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by MiyettiAllah: 12:40am On Feb 19, 2018
GUMY:
The fact that after violating rule 2 the pro-yoruba moderators decided to take no action against you doesn't really make me want to talk to you.
The fact that you think you can order me arround is just an other show of your mindlessness.
The fact that you are asking for "books" is an other sign of lack of intelligence.
Let me just help you: type gallica on nairaland or just go through my posts.
Be smart enough, I owe you nothing and I already told you that I don't have time to discuss history with an emotional toddler who seems to be convinced of his "superior intellect".

- You just falsely accused a moderator.

- You are emotional an unaware you broke a rule yourself with your first post.

- You want to get me banger up in order that your post can remain.

- I was mot expecting to be able to cite any references for your jargon. You just want to regale us with emotional bants. I have no time for such pendantic stuff. You want me to take you serious? Cite sources for your claims.

- Intelligence is knowing History is not for everyone. If you want to do it, be bright enough to know that hard facts with sources carry a lot of weight.

I have no interests in your posts or that of garlic’s. I waht to read from authorities, known researches not resident NL falsehood peddlers. I can’t, cite 5 books that revolve around your claims & I will take you serious.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by MiyettiAllah: 12:49am On Feb 19, 2018
GUMY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2Tac1gNPU&t=78s

LMAO.

Did you seriously post all of those links as a come back?

God, when I saw the links I was mad excited over the thoughts of getting knew knowledge. Did you really just share maps of European rendition of Bini contact? Is that all you have?

As for the video, what am I supposed to do with it exactly?

Are these your sources? grin
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 1:01am On Feb 19, 2018
Could someone remind some fools that history is not written in books but on historical documents ?
Also could someone ask the fools what a historical document is ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My Favorite Urhobo Proverbs! / Origin Of The Name Bello?! / Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.