Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa (46672 Views)

Nembe people of Bayelsa are Igbos / Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Meet The Koma People Of Adamawa State Where Cloth Is A Prized Possession (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by pazienza(m): 10:59am On Feb 19, 2018
OBINGWA

(1) Mgboko amaku
(2) Mgboko okpulo
(3) Obete
4 ofokobe
5 umuikeaba
6 mgboko umueze
7 mgboko umuoba
8 umukpi
9 umuobasi
10 umuocha
11 umuomaghi
12 umuotu
13 umuwezi
14 abala nkwonwelechi
15 ayaba ubi
16 iheorji
17 obikabia
18 ohuru amaige
19 osakea

osusu umukpeghi

ohuru amangwo

umuagu

umuariama

umuelendu

ohuru umuekwesu

umueme

umuibe

umukalika

umuwankwo

umuohia

umuokea

umuonyengwa

azuogwgwe

ekwere azu

isiko

ngboko anyi

nenu

ntigha umuaro

umoma

ngboko umuanunu

umuaro

umubi

umuhu aba

umukiri

umuokahia

umuomeghi

umuopara amauzu

umuopara egbelu

agbaragwu

agburuk isiugwu

akanu afagha

akanu okpulo

akpuga

avor

ichi

ikala umudagwu

itu ikila

itu ngwa

itukpa

mbutu

mgboko osa

mgboko umu ora

osa

umulelu

umusoiku ete na onuma

ndiaka

ndiakata

onicha ngwa

umuirora amano

umuokereke ngwa

ala ukwu

agburuke

amapu

alaoji

amoji

ehere

ukpakiri

ntigha

obeala

ohanze

osusu amaukwa

owohia

umuafor

umuguru

umuochoi

abayiokoroato

umuola

umuorukwu

umuoru

akpa mbator( akuma imo)

ovom amairilabua ( akuma imo)

ovom amasa ( akuma imo)

abam nsulu

amapu ntigha

amauvuru

eziama

iferefe

obete nchima

okpuama uku

okienyi

umuali

umuogele

IBEME AREA IN OBINGWA L G A

abala ibeme

abala nkomiri

ahiaka

oberete

obete umuoha

obete umodu

ohanze agwo.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by pazienza(m): 11:00am On Feb 19, 2018
The above is the list of towns in Obingwa LGA.
None of them is non Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by letu(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2018
babacletus:

Bros Ibibio speaking communities plenty for Aba, there's one in Obingwa lga at the border end and a lot of others
I'm sure you're referring to Ibeme speaking people of Obi Ngwa LGA in Abia State, they are a mixture of two Igbo groups know as Ndoki 70 percent in population origin/ Ngwa 30 percent and they have their own unique Igbo language.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by letu(m): 1:36pm On Feb 19, 2018
TheGreatJapan:

Zombie you call it Obi Ngwa and still claim they speak Ibibio
Obi Ngwa means the Heart/Centre of Ngwa and Ngwa people are proud Igbo people
Please don't mind him or her, Obi Ngwa he or her is talking about don't have any boundaries with Ibibio people rather it is the Annang people of AkwaIbom state that they share boundaries with.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by feldido(m): 6:42pm On Feb 19, 2018
fratermathy:

Erhowa is in Isoko South, not Patani.

Shares boundary with patani and just Almost opposite Anibeze
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 8:41pm On Feb 19, 2018
pazienza:

Yes, I have been to Obingwa before, and I have friends from Obingwa LGA of Abia state, having stayed in Aba for 4yrs.

You really should stop pokenosing into things you know nothing about.
You have not stayed longed enough, try living your house with an open mind, what do you mean by pokenosing sef?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 8:44pm On Feb 19, 2018
pazienza:

No Ibibio in Abia state, go take your frustration else where. The stories of Abia State groups are stories of migration from Itu caves of present AkwaCross area into their present location, so I think it's more of Igbos present in Area known as Akwa Cross today, and were for some reasons forced to retreat to present location.
Seems like I struck a nerve in this one, Ibibio presence in the area now known as Abia state, stories?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by ChinenyeN(m): 4:51pm On Feb 21, 2018
It seems I am entering this party late, but nevertheless I will do my duty and provide some clarification.

Long story short, there are no Ibibio villages in Obingwa.

Short story long, Ngwa and Ibibio/Annang have a long history that involved a great deal of trading, cultural diffusion and cross-pollination. There are many wards with known, historical descent from Annang or Ibibio. Typically, these wards are the result of an ancestor having married an Ibibio woman or what we call ikeghide l'ofo, which is the equivalent of naturalization.

There was a known strip of land between Ngwa and Annang that is generally referred to as 'no man's land'. It served as a border between the two peoples, so in that no 'Ngwa' villages exist in Annang and no 'Annang' villages exist in Ngwa, but both, through interaction have mixed wards and are bilingual. To this day, it is not uncommon to see Ngwa people that fluently speak Annang and vice versa.

That said, you can find many "Ibibio speaking" communities in Obingwa, because, in this context, the Ngwa people are bilingual.

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Konquest: 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2018
Efewestern:
THE isoko people are people of Niger Delta who are located In Delta state and some part of Bayelsa state, I once created a thread about the Urhobo speaking People of Bayelsa. https://www.nairaland.com/2289624/meet-ofoni-people-bayelsa-only

Isokoland is a key centre of Nigeria's crude oil and natural gas production with a population of about 1.5 million, making the Urhobo / Isoko population to be 5 Million.

The Isoko language is a branch of the Urhobo language, though unique in it's way. The isoko people shares similar culture and believe with the Urhobos.

Anibeze is an Isoko speaking community in Constituency III, Sagbama local government area of Bayelsa State. It settles along the Forcados River, on lower Niger River.

Their closest neighbours are Patani in Delta State and Adagbabiri community in the same Sagbama local government, Bayelsa State.

The people’s main occupation is farming, with some fishing too. The community can be accessed through the River or motor bike from the East/West Road.

Plight of the Anibeze People

For the people of this riverside settlement whose very existence like several others in the predominantly riverine state is now hanging in the balance on account of the devastating erosion caused by the tempestuous River Forcados, a tributary of the magnificent River Niger, this certainly is not the best of times.

As the people go through the motions of daily life, the troubled look in many eyes betray layers of unspoken fears and uncertainty. Nobody is sure whose house would be the next to be swallowed in this predominantly farming and fishing settlement by the river.

Sadly, the people no longer have enough land to farm due to the devastating coastal erosion which has eroded about 70 per cent of its landmass. Also fishing which the people could have relied on for survival has suffered tremendous neglect due to the precarious situation in the community where families are constantly relocating due to the erosion menace which has swept away several buildings.

Notable People from Anibeze community

* Prof Obaro Ikime

Isoko Wado!!!!
^^^^^
^^^^^
@Efewestern

Interesting post you have here.
I've always know about the Urhobos
in Bayelsa, but not the Isokos.

Nice article.

All the best.

P.S. I just sent a PM to you to
send me your email so I can send
you the download link for the
DNA video.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Efewestern: 8:33pm On Feb 24, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^
^^^^^
@Efewestern

Interesting post you have here.
I've always know about the Urhobos
in Bayelsa, but not the Isokos.

Nice article.

All the best.

P.S. I just sent a PM to you to
sent me your email so I can send
you the download link for the
DNA video.

Lol.. I actually don't see any difference b/w both tribe thou.. the towns are just spillover from Delta state.

I already replied your mail with the details.

regards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by feldido(m): 1:41pm On Mar 21, 2018
fratermathy:

Erhowa is in Isoko South, not Patani.

Read what I wrote again undecided
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by fratermathy(m): 5:32pm On Mar 21, 2018
feldido:

Read what I wrote again undecided

Your expression betrays your intention. You should try and reconcile both before referring people back to your post. In your words, Erhowa is a community of Patani. You didn't say it was a community close to Patani.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by feldido(m): 11:06am On Mar 23, 2018
fratermathy:

[b]Your expression betrays your intention[/b]You should try and reconcile both before referring people back to your post. In your words, Erhowa is a community of Patani. You didn't say it was a community close to Patani.

I can't blame you for your lack of comprehending simple English.
Where in my post did I say Erhowa is a community of Patani?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by fratermathy(m): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
feldido:

I can't blame you for your lack of comprehending simple English.
Where in my post did I say Erhowa is a community of Patani?

The Internet never forgets...

A close community "of" and a community close "to" are not the same things.

Work on your expressions so that they go in tandem with your intentions.

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by feldido(m): 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2018
fratermathy:

The Internet never forgets...

A close community "of" and a community close "to" are not the same things.

Work on your expressions so that they go in tandem with your intentions.

Did I say Patani local government? Is Erhowa not very close to Patani?
Right now you hardly know the boundary between them cos they live together.
At least I passed my message, I dunno why u trying to make a fuss out of nothing.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by fratermathy(m): 1:31pm On Mar 25, 2018
feldido:

Did I say Patani local government? Is Erhowa not very close to Patani?
Right now you hardly know the boundary between them cos they live together.
At least I passed my message, I dunno why u trying to make a fuss out of nothing.

And you presume that I am not knowledgeable on ethnic and communual boundaries in my own state and region? That's preposterous of you!

I pointed out a flaw in your submission. Instead of you to quickly retract, you wanted to play smart, hence this altercation. I'm glad you now realise you did, in fact, make that blunder. Unfortunately for you, pride has done a number on your psyche so much that you can't own up to your own errors. Instead, you are trying to dilate it by bringing in the LGA, which was not even mentioned in my iteration of your flaw.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by TheGreatJapan: 12:47am On May 24, 2018
fratermathy:

And you presume that I am not knowledgeable on ethnic and communual boundaries in my own state and region? That's preposterous of you!

I pointed out a flaw in your submission. Instead of you to quickly retract, you wanted to play smart, hence this altercation. I'm glad you now realise you did, in fact, make that blunder. Unfortunately for you, pride has done a number on your psyche so much that you can't own up to your own errors. Instead, you are trying to dilate it by bringing in the LGA, which was not even mentioned in my iteration of your flaw.

4 Shares

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by babyhrt(m): 1:16am On Jul 30, 2018
nowpresence:

are you an Isoko person
Yes I am...are you?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by nowpresence(f): 3:21pm On Sep 08, 2018
babyhrt:
Yes I am...are you?
I am urhobo
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by babyhrt(m): 10:35pm On Sep 08, 2018
nowpresence:

I am urhobo
Nice one sis.
I sent you an Email
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by nowpresence(f): 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
babyhrt:
Nice one sis. I sent you an Email
I have replied
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jun 01, 2019
I like to wax my legs and stick the hair on my back. Why? Because it keeps my back warm. There's method in my madness. grin
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Spicylate(f): 7:26am On Aug 14, 2019
Good morning, please i am in sagbama lga and i have a survey to carry out at anibeze and i wouldnt mind a contact please.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 11, 2021
Efewestern:
THE isoko people are people of Niger Delta who are located In Delta state and some part of Bayelsa state, I once created a thread about the Urhobo speaking People of Bayelsa. https://www.nairaland.com/2289624/meet-ofoni-people-bayelsa-only

Isoko land is a key centre of Nigeria's crude oil and natural gas production with a population of about 1.5 million, making the Urhobo / Isoko population to be 5 Million.

The isoko language is a branch of the urhobo language, thou unique in it's way. The isoko people shares similar culture and believe with the Urhobos.

Anibeze is an Isoko speaking community in Constituency III, Sagbama local government area of Bayelsa State. It settles along the Forcados River, on lower Niger River.

Their closest neighbours are Patani in Delta State and Adagbabiri community in the same Sagbama local government, Bayelsa State.

The people’s main occupation is farming, with some fishing too. The community can be accessed through the River or motor bike from the East/West Road.

Plight of the Anibeze People

For the people of this riverside settlement whose very existence like several others in the predominantly riverine state is now hanging in the balance on account of the devastating erosion caused by the tempestuous River Forcados, a tributary of the magnificent River Niger, this certainly is not the best of times.

As the people go through the motions of daily life, the troubled look in many eyes betray layers of unspoken fears and uncertainty. Nobody is sure whose house would be the next to be swallowed in this predominantly farming and fishing settlement by the river.

Sadly, the people no longer have enough land to farm due to the devastating coastal erosion which has eroded about 70 per cent of its landmass. Also fishing which the people could have relied on for survival has suffered tremendous neglect due to the precarious situation in the community where families are constantly relocating due to the erosion menace which has swept away several buildings.

Notable People from Anibeze community

* Prof Obaro Ikime

Isoko Wado!!!!

D way Nigerians inflate population of their tribe is alarming. Isoko largest block is in delta state, IGBO, Urhobo and Itshekiri in Delta state are far larger than isoko and the population of delta state is 4 million....is delta, Itshekiri and IGBO now 2.5 million while isoko is 1.5 million? Making isoko the largest tribe in delta state.

Make una de take am easy abeg
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 11, 2021
Sanchez01:

How you turn a thread on its head with your tribalism laced remarks is amazing.

States are 'artificial creation', yet terminologies subtly used to classify a people abound, particularly in the East, just as some other parts of the country. Or wouldn't it be better if I classify you as Wawa just to point out that you are most likely from Enugu or Ebonyi, thereby limiting the chances of your state of origin?

There is a saying mostly by the Yorubas that 'a farm cannot belong to a father and his son without defining boundaries'. States may have been artificially created, but then again, bulk of its reason is to define bothers and territories.

It might not be a big deal when an Igbo man does an exposé, claiming Igbos founded or dwelt in Southern Kaduna long before the Fulanis got into Nigeria or even before the first Hausa man was born, but it is not the same for the Urhobos/Isokos as we are not really known from running or leaving our homeland in droves. Regardless of how neighbouring the state is, it is always an area of interest for us as we are a small, though distinct group. We are not 'strollers' by nature

And there is absolutely nothing tribalistic about his post. Stop being a tribal champion

States in nigeria does not in anyway define borders and territories.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 11, 2021
Sanchez01:

I might be hasty but I'd love to go with the natural land grabbing strength of the 'Fulanis in the South South'. These lands must have been ceded to them after a long tussle.

Apart from the government not paying attention to them, I doubt their political strength in Bayelsa, which would be a disadvantage. Something similar as this play out in Rivers now whereby a particular tribe (mum) is totally sidelined and regarded as inconsequential. Since 2012 till date, I'd love to believe the Bayelsa state government does not give a hoot about the Anibezes.

What is the meaning of Anibeze?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 11, 2021
Henryjr:
Trash! We only have urhobo community(Ofoni) in bayelsa which happens to be in my LGA(sagbama). Whatever set of people u see in bayelsa only went there for economic purposes as tenants and pay dues to the landlords.

People in bayelsa:
Main ijaw speakers
Ogbia ijaws
Epie Ijaws
N an urhobo community

That so called settlement may only be found in google because it's people like u an I that supply google with the goods and bads. Believe me, that so called community is not known, not recognized or worst still has no political, geographical, cultural, social n historical facts that qualifies one to be part of a state. They are as useless as poo

What a very stupid post..

Especially the ending part.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 11, 2021
Sanchez01:

Afam, I get you loud and clear. Abi is it not you again?

Going by the emboldened, it is quite a sight to predict where you'd land just before you get there. If Delta State isn't the homeland of the Isoko people, I sure believe it is Enugu or Imo as you'd soon get there.

You still don't understand a thing here as the first thing you should be asking is 'HOW did they get to Bayelsa?' An Urhobo man sees an Isoko man as his cousin and blood because the similarity is amazing, save for the language which slightly differs. We don't stray out of the pack normally, so when it happens or when a tribe or group within the Isoko/Urhobo/Itsekiri nation is uncovered and found out to be away from Delta state, it begs certain questions in our minds.

You can't just air opinions anyhow without understanding how a people see their homeland and their relatives. We are closely knitted and so is our land. An indigenous group of the tribe elsewhere, NO MATTER HOW CLOSE THE STATE IT IS IN IS a whole lot of big deal to us.

Perhaps you made a mistake with the emboldened, safe to say Delta State is not the homeland of Igbos in the state, we understand this because it was political, all thanks to Babaginda and his other friends.

Here's an aside: States are artificial creations does not give your people the rights to lay claims to Lagos. In the end, you can only 'roam' and act like you have a stake. Should there be a turn around, every Lagos developer would be forced to recognise his or her homeland. This is the way we see our people who are said to be outside of Delta state.

The person who owns the land, Owns the state. If igbos buy up 70% of Lagos lands and their population reaches 60 - 70 percent, lagos becomes the property of igbo and virtually all political posts in lagos will go to igbos. THERE'S ACTUALLY NOTHING SPECIAL IN THIS.

THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL IN FINDING ISOKO people few minutes drive from delta state where the main isoko block is located..nothing special @ all
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 11, 2021
Efewestern:

Sanchez01 hope you see what am saying, how ignorant can one be.

And to think I was defending this lots last year during the Edo land saga beats me, am now beginning to see why people call them land grabber.

People who do not have land always grab other peoples land
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 11, 2021
BininKingdom:
So Bayelsa is not 100% Ijaw?
Which means Ijaw people don't own any state in Nigeria
virtually all states in Nigeria have other tribes settled in it (give or take)
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 11, 2021
nowpresence:

if delta is not the homeland of Isoko, then where is their homeland?

Delta state is a word created a few years ago, it does not define a people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Sacks Alhaji Auwalu, Palace Chief For Welcoming Ganduje / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / The Mysterious Cave Of Ashes (Isarun) In Ondo State (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.