Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,871 members, 7,806,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

One Chance: Lessons From My Experience - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / One Chance: Lessons From My Experience (38060 Views)

'One Chance' Robbers Busted By Police As One Jumps Into Lagoon With Loot. Photo / Lady Bravely Escaped From Suspected 'One Chance' Kidnappers In Rivers (Graphic) / Man Causes Accident While Being Robbed By 'One Chance' Operators In Abuja.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by amicable09(f): 12:12am On Feb 18, 2018
AgricSalt:

That bank should teach other banks the way to go.

I bank with 3 major banks. All of them only asks for the last four digits of ATM card. And of course it must be your bank registered number (but, don't we usually move about with our bvn registered number, which is usually most exclusively our 'main line'?)
Lol. Customers still complain when banks try to put all these measures in place. I'm trying not to divulge so much otherwise I would have told you more.

Yes, most people's BVN numbers are their main lines but their main lines aren't tied to their accounts and I'm yet to see one Nigerian who has memorized his/her BVN. When you don't have anything on you that looks like you have an account with XYZ bank, nothing will cause subscribing to USSD service work. It is when a robber sees the debit card he'll know to initiate a transaction or service.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by coolh3ad(m): 12:13am On Feb 18, 2018
kidman96:
home video

"Kidman96"......No need to argue. That says it all...
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by coolh3ad(m): 12:14am On Feb 18, 2018
LZAA:

grin grin
baba na story no be real life lol
besides one chance is old skool
traffic robbery na im dy trend now

Huh?.....Okay. Byee

1 Like

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by fabienjoe: 12:17am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:
Pretty much so.

It is not PRETTY much so. It is VERY serious!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Goldenheart(m): 12:19am On Feb 18, 2018
Arm you oh ur selves to the teeth****
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by amicable09(f): 12:20am On Feb 18, 2018
gr8tone:
Your story is very educative but for the sake that NO DINE WAS REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT makes me think it's a cooked up story. Thanks for sharing. I have learnt a lot
Lol. We consume cash a lot over the weekend in this country. And as you know, ATMs don't give out cash except it is fed cash. The machine was temporarily unavailable to dispense cash.

It was more than a prayer answered.

4 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:

Lol. Customers still complain when banks try to put all these measures in place. I'm trying not to divulge so much otherwise I would have told you more.

Yes, most people's BVN numbers are their main lines but their main lines aren't tied to their accounts and I'm yet to see one Nigerian who has memorized his/her BVN. When you don't have anything on you that looks like you have an account with XYZ bank, nothing will cause subscribing to USSD service work. It is when a robber sees the debit card he'll know to initiate a transaction or service.

So the main catch is mainly not to carry ATM cards around

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 18, 2018
Surulere again, that area with one chance. Always happening at the early hour of the morning.

A client narrated his ordeal with these guys, he said he always go there to see if he will sight any of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Kylekent59: 12:25am On Feb 18, 2018
Wow! your use of English is applauding
Back to the topic. It is a good thing that you are alive. When it comes to this situation, I would advise one to corporate with them. It is better to be alive and lose your possessions then being dead and still lose your possessions.

Next time when entering a bus make sure you are not in a rush. Always observe the people inside the bus before entering especially if the two back seats close to the windows are occupied likewise the middle seat and the front seat also.

I hope the Government looks into this matter and make sure all these perpetrators are caught.

Someone boards a bus and it's onechance brouhaha.

Again someone bought a car. Now while stuck on traffic you might get robed or your windscreen smashed.

It's high time the Lagos state government instigate a law that can tackle all these miscreants.

Within that surulere, these onechance perpetrators are rife and you will be oblivious.

Thank God you weren't harmed/touched.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Bullhari007(m): 12:25am On Feb 18, 2018
Yoruba Agbero make Lagos unsafe... just send most of them back to their respective villages and watch crime and once chance reduce drastically

2 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by sharpwriter(m): 12:29am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:

Oh no! So sorry to hear. They hide under the dark to carry out their evil dead. It's unfortunate.

Did they withdraw from your account?
I was surprised two of my colleagues just kept finishing my sentences and adding to the things I missed by interrogations because same thing happened to them from Surulere this January.

I don't leave home until it's bright enough now. Better to be late than go through such tragic experience and still get to work late. My face burned all through that day.
I didn't want to comment before, but to me, I quoted this because it's part of what I have been expecting in the comments. DARKNESS (night times and early morning). Many times there's need to go out quickly or stay a bit outside late in the night due to circumstances beyond our control. However, it's important to note that evil people do carry out operations even in the day, not to talk of dark times. It's important that we know that dark (night and early morning) breeds more evil deeds so we should at least try reduce our movement at night. Safety first before thinking of traffic. 6:30am isn't too late in going out to work. Taking times precautions reduces chances of falling prey to these people.
The days are indeed evil. God continue to keep us and also help those who have no choice than to be out early or return late.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by amicable09(f): 12:37am On Feb 18, 2018
Kylekent59:
Wow! I love your use of English.
Back to the topic. It is a good thing that you are alive. When it comes to this situation, I would advise one to corporate with them. It is better to be alive and lose your possessions then being dead and still lose your possessions.

Next time when entering a bus make sure you are not in a rush. Always observe the people inside the bus before entering especially if the two back seats close to the windows are occupied likewise the middle seat and the front seat also.

I hope the Government looks into this matter and make sure all these perpetrators are caught.

Someone boards a bus and it's onechance brouhaha.

Again someone bought a car. Now while on traffic you might get robed or your windscreen smashed.

It's high time the Lagos state government instigate a law that can tackle all these miscreants.

Within that surulere, these onechance perpetrators are rife and you will be oblivious.

Thank God you weren't harmed/touched.
@ the bolded, very well said!
I remember that was the first action they took to position themselves in that sitting arrangement.

Thanks a lot. That's another thing to start looking out for when out on the road. God keep us safe.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Mckandre(m): 12:54am On Feb 18, 2018
Shukusheka:
You are a rich girl, why not just buy yourself a car instead of jumping buses all across the street of Lagos. See what your stingyness has led you to now.
ure a big FOOL⁴

2 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Rozaytee: 1:28am On Feb 18, 2018
Shukusheka:
You are a rich girl, why not just buy yourself a car instead of jumping buses all across the street of Lagos. See what your stingyness has led you to now.
abii..is dis goat unfortunate

1 Like

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Rozaytee: 1:31am On Feb 18, 2018
op..thank God for ur life ooo....may God continue to protect us....
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Rozaytee: 1:32am On Feb 18, 2018
udemzy101:
Surulere again, that area with one chance. Always happening at the early hour of the morning.

A client narrated his ordeal with these guys, he said he always go there to see if he will sight any of them.

very crazy area..especially... early in d morning.. na their time be dat
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by maestroferddi: 2:08am On Feb 18, 2018
Apination:

And u had to announce to us how generously stupid u are undecided
What do you mean?

Despite his rather blunt comment, you can see he had a point.

The picture painted by the lady suggested she is well off. Why is she still scrambling with danfo drivers to get to work?

The story was sounding unreal initially to me. I lived in Surulere pfor over 8 years and worked on
the Island. One
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by maestroferddi: 2:33am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:

Oh no! So sorry to hear. They hide under the dark to carry out their evil dead. It's unfortunate.

Did they withdraw from your account?
I was surprised two of my colleagues just kept finishing my sentences and adding to the things I missed by interrogations because same thing happened to them from Surulere this January.

I don't leave home until it's bright enough now. Better to be late than go through such tragic experience and still get to work
late. My face burned all through that day.
If you live around Kilo - Masha - Aguda - Ikate axis, try to board buses at Kilo Bus Stop.

Buses leave from there as early as 5 am for the Island. You are unlikely to enter a One Chance vehicle from around that area.

I have a feeling you must have boarded from around National Stadium area - a virtual no man's land because robbers from all over the South West operate on the extensive Ikorodu Road - Funsho Williams Avenue - Carter Bridge - Ahmadu Bello Way road network.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by EzeJustme(m): 2:39am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:
Having debit cards is not bad, but carrying debit cards around is dangerous. It's in fact, a crime to carry many cards with zero balance around. At this point I think I should say this, when it comes to saving money in your bank account, it's better you have a designated account and subscribe to almost nothing. Not Mobile App. Not internet banking. Not USSD. Not even a cheque book. Just nothing.

Immediately after I contacted my family members, a bike rider who took the other lady to the nearest police station came to take me there as well. I politely asked that I be taken to the closest branch of my bank where my salary account is domiciled. The bike rider without hesitating obliged my request. I quickly explained my plight to the security and demanded to meet with a staff. One of them rushed to the branch manager who dialed contact center. After the call, using her phone she sent a mail with all my details. Then we rushed in, she signed in and placed a lien on the funds in my account. Not a kobo had left. I was grateful.

My other bank was a trekkable distance away, I trekked there. Explained to the security guard manning the entrance door, it was still past 7 and he explained that the banking hall wasn't open. I told him I needed my card blocked, he pointed me to the ATM. 'Mr.! Stop acting like a princupality! I know about self service and that I can hotlist my card through an ATM but I can't remember my card details.' Just then, a staff of the bank came in and asked what the issue was, I went straight to the point and made my simple request, he showed me the ATM, I told him I couldn't remember those details especially the last 4 digits of my card. Then he said l'll need to fill a form. At the sound of a form, I took offense. Is the Nigerian bank now like our Federal hospitals and Health centers where they watch a dying patient give up the ghost in the corridor because they need to 'fill form and pay some ridiculous amount' before treatment will commence. I made it clear that if withdrawals are done on my account from the time I got to the branch and my account gets cleared, they'll pay down to the last kobo. I made it clear also that customer's instruction superseded any other instruction or form I needed to fill. Everything can be regularised later. First things first.

When the staff saw my understanding of banking, he asked for my account name, I provided that. He asked for the name of the branch where the account was opened, I provided that. Then he asked for my mobile number tied to the account. I did. All these answers were to help him get my account number from the system cos I couldn't correctly remember my account number and I wasn't ready to gamble with it. He went in with that information and came out shortly smiling. Your card has been blocked and the last transaction on your account was an inflow from Chinasa on the 3rd of February. 'Thanks', I said smiling back.

I called a relation working in a bank next through the help of a family member who had come to my rescue and was now driving me around. I got my card blocked as well. From there I went to my last bank that was actively for savings. There I met no resistance. The customer service agent cooperated well and after asking all security questions made sure to block the card. She wrote down my balance in the account and put the paper in my hand. 'Sorry', she said.
"Thank you", I responded.

[b]Next was to block my SIM card. That was equally successful. I did that over the phon[/b]e. By the time I was done, I couldn't believe it. That I was alive and well. No tooth lost. I could still see. I wasn't bleeding. I had all my monies intact. I was not in shambles so to say.

Made my way to the office that day, as I recounted my ordeal, it dawned on me that this pattern has been going on for a while. These guys are on the roads of Lagos unleashing havoc and making the city unsafe. It is to this end I've decided to share my experience and hope someone learns from this. We cannot be too careful but as much as we can, ensure you take adequate measures to protect yourself.

Eko o ni baje oooooo
Please i need to no how you can block your Sim through phone
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by ameri9ja: 4:21am On Feb 18, 2018
maestroferddi:
If you live around Kilo - Masha - Aguda - Ikate axis, try to board buses at Kilo Bus Stop.

Buses leave from there as early as 5 am for the Island. You are unlikely to enter a One Chance vehicle from around that area.

I have a feeling you must have boarded from around National Stadium area - a virtual no man's land because robbers from all over the South West operate on the extensive Ikorodu Road - Funsho Williams Avenue - Carter Bridge - Ahmadu Bello Way road network.

Good advice
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by buddie(m): 5:29am On Feb 18, 2018
@poster can you kindly confirm what spot in surulere you boarded the bus from Pls? Guess it can also help others in their decision taking.

Have also advised female friends of mine to search for car owners driving toward the island to roll with at those early hours of the morning that entering some strange bus instead.

Is it that there is nobody you can hookup with?

maestroferddi:

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by buddie(m): 5:30am On Feb 18, 2018
@Amicable09 can you kindly confirm what spot in surulere you boarded the bus from Pls? Guess it can also help others in their decision taking.

Have also advised female friends of mine to search for car owners driving toward the island to roll with at those early hours of the morning that entering some strange bus instead.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by poseidon12: 5:32am On Feb 18, 2018
Thanks immensely, for sharing this sad experience with us. Thanks to God you came out of it alive. Nigeria is getting unsafe by the day.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by poseidon12: 5:37am On Feb 18, 2018
Shukusheka:

Foolish thing. And you think they don't rob people driving their own cars.

2 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by whirlwind7(m): 5:50am On Feb 18, 2018
Shukusheka:

Wow. shocked

Is your brand of stvpidity factory fitted, or you acquired it as you grow older?
The thing fit you, no be small.

5 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by sweetilicious(f): 5:53am On Feb 18, 2018
amicable09:
Having debit cards is not bad, but carrying debit cards around is dangerous. It's in fact, a crime to carry many cards with zero balance around. At this point I think I should say this, when it comes to saving money in your bank account, it's better you have a designated account and subscribe to almost nothing. Not Mobile App. Not internet banking. Not USSD. Not even a cheque book. Just nothing.

Immediately after I contacted my family members, a bike rider who took the other lady to the nearest police station came to take me there as well. I politely asked that I be taken to the closest branch of my bank where my salary account is domiciled. The bike rider without hesitating obliged my request. I quickly explained my plight to the security and demanded to meet with a staff. One of them rushed to the branch manager who dialed contact center. After the call, using her phone she sent a mail with all my details. Then we rushed in, she signed in and placed a lien on the funds in my account. Not a kobo had left. I was grateful.

My other bank was a trekkable distance away, I trekked there. Explained to the security guard manning the entrance door, it was still past 7 and he explained that the banking hall wasn't open. I told him I needed my card blocked, he pointed me to the ATM. 'Mr.! Stop acting like a princupality! I know about self service and that I can hotlist my card through an ATM but I can't remember my card details.' Just then, a staff of the bank came in and asked what the issue was, I went straight to the point and made my simple request, he showed me the ATM, I told him I couldn't remember those details especially the last 4 digits of my card. Then he said l'll need to fill a form. At the sound of a form, I took offense. Is the Nigerian bank now like our Federal hospitals and Health centers where they watch a dying patient give up the ghost in the corridor because they need to 'fill form and pay some ridiculous amount' before treatment will commence. I made it clear that if withdrawals are done on my account from the time I got to the branch and my account gets cleared, they'll pay down to the last kobo. I made it clear also that customer's instruction superseded any other instruction or form I needed to fill. Everything can be regularised later. First things first.

When the staff saw my understanding of banking, he asked for my account name, I provided that. He asked for the name of the branch where the account was opened, I provided that. Then he asked for my mobile number tied to the account. I did. All these answers were to help him get my account number from the system cos I couldn't correctly remember my account number and I wasn't ready to gamble with it. He went in with that information and came out shortly smiling. Your card has been blocked and the last transaction on your account was an inflow from Chinasa on the 3rd of February. 'Thanks', I said smiling back.

I called a relation working in a bank next through the help of a family member who had come to my rescue and was now driving me around. I got my card blocked as well. From there I went to my last bank that was actively for savings. There I met no resistance. The customer service agent cooperated well and after asking all security questions made sure to block the card. She wrote down my balance in the account and put the paper in my hand. 'Sorry', she said.
"Thank you", I responded.

Next was to block my SIM card. That was equally successful. I did that over the phone. By the time I was done, I couldn't believe it. That I was alive and well. No tooth lost. I could still see. I wasn't bleeding. I had all my monies intact. I was not in shambles so to say.

Made my way to the office that day, as I recounted my ordeal, it dawned on me that this pattern has been going on for a while. These guys are on the roads of Lagos unleashing havoc and making the city unsafe. It is to this end I've decided to share my experience and hope someone learns from this. We cannot be too careful but as much as we can, ensure you take adequate measures to protect yourself.

Eko o ni baje oooooo
Life in Lagos is scary

2 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by kampbelo(m): 5:54am On Feb 18, 2018
My advise for you is to activate mobile banking for all your bank account while you move around one ATM card with maximum of N2,000 balance. When ever you are in need of more money you can easily do transfer to that same bank.
This will help you move cashless and safe you from future traumatic experience. More so, it will help you get the rest of your card secure.
It crazy moving around with more than 1bank ATM since you can work into any bank to make withdrawal at cash point.

Heaven help those who help themselves.

4 Likes

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by gentility16(m): 6:03am On Feb 18, 2018
Thank God you are alive to tell the story, some get killed in the process.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Nobody: 6:18am On Feb 18, 2018
gr8tone:
Your story is very educative but for the sake that NO DINE WAS REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT makes me think it's a cooked up story. Thanks for sharing. I have learnt a lot

So you would have believed her if she said she lost all her life savings? Do you derive joy in others' misfortune? Do you prefer that they experience pain than God's miraculous and kind intervention?

Check yourself again sir.

Thankfully, some of us that have been here a while know the OP and have no reasons to doubt her story.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by uzoexcel(m): 6:19am On Feb 18, 2018
Shukusheka:
if you had kept quiet no one wouldav guessed that you were a walking idiot...sad!!!!
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 18, 2018
whirlwind7:

Wow. shocked

Is your brand of stvpidity factory fitted, or you acquired it as you grow older?
The thing fit you, no be small.
Chisos! The guy offend you? You know am before? Factory fitted stupidity. I heard a new one today.
Re: One Chance: Lessons From My Experience by poseidon12: 6:26am On Feb 18, 2018
buddie:
@poster can you kindly confirm what spot in surulere you boarded the bus from Pls? Guess it can also help others in their decision taking.

In her write up, she explained that her phone battery was down. So she could not call her ride buddies. So, yes she has friends she usually rides with to the island.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

4 Suspected Kidnappers Killed In Calabar, Victim Rescued (Graphic Photo) / We Deceived Victims By Roaring Like Lions – Robbery Kingpin(Picture) / Armed Robbers Shoot Woman Dead In Her House In Abia. Graphic Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.