Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,513 members, 7,808,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Why Does A Car Overheat? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does A Car Overheat? (6541 Views)

Car Wants To Overheat / My Car Now Overheat, What Can Be Done? / Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by oluwaseunla(m): 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Hunter22:
Lot of things can attribute to that.1) most of the cars come with thermostat because of the cold weather abroad so it would still keep the engine hot till the next day, once it not been removed here in nigeria the car overheats on every little stress like when put on the Ac, on a hill, trafic etc. 2) when your radiator And Ac vent is not alway washed to allow the free flow of fresh air. 3) when the engine top gasket is somehow burnt it makes the engine over hear,4) overloading does that.5)low or no water.6)radiator fans re one of the slow poisions, when the rotation decreases like it doesn't bring in air from outside into the engine( you can check that buy using an empty sachet of pure water and placing it right infront of you car Ac external condenser while your engine is on, if it sticks there know it's okay and if it's not, has an issue.. Thanks ya all, hope it you get the solution here

Thermostat cannot keep a car hot till the next day sir, a lot of cars in Nigeria still run on thermostats and they don't overheat. I disagree with your first point sir.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Yankee101: 6:09pm On Feb 21, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Which basic facts? A 2001 MB C class with thermostat, on AC and full load doesn't overheat. Your point is wrong sir. Verify on google.

Lol. Be doing Google. Does Google tell you dusty roads, heat, grease, poor maintenance and lack of temperature letting will burst ur engines up?

Ask people who drive for naija roads, no be by google.

Google says you can hardly eat 3 square meals a day in Nigeria but you're still eating and overfeeding with kpomo, shaki and bokoto on top egusi and poundo.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Yankee101: 6:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
diportivo:

u wld waste ur time

cos it's jargons u will type eventually

u talk as tho a 99camry straight from Yankee won't survive in Nigeria

unapologetic kazeem undecided

3 cell radiator angry

adding coolant to water grin

Lol. 99 carry indeed. Read the entire thread. Other people have the same opinion. What you don't know, you don't know
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by oluwaseunla(m): 6:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

Lol. Be doing Google. Does Google tell you dusty roads, heat, grease, poor maintenance and lack of temperature letting will burst ur engines up?

Ask people who drive for naija roads, no be by google.

Google says you can hardly eat 3 square meals a day in Nigeria but you're still eating and overfeeding with kpomo, shaki and bokoto on top egusi and poundo.

I'm telling you to use Google. I don't need google cos I'm a technician. I fix cars. My cars run on thermostat and they don't have the issues you claim. I have a 17 year old Nissan, still on thermostat, and still with its temperate region specs without overheating issues on the hottest days, with AC and full load.

Any car that overheats has a cooling system issue and should be troubleshoted and fixed. I hope you know cars made brand new in Nigeria have thermostats, and they don't have bigger radiators despite our hot weather, so what exactly are you trying to insinuate?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by diportivo: 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

Lol. 99 carry indeed. Read the entire thread. Other people have the same opinion. What you don't know, you don't know

you

and those other people don't know anything

but then

why should I bother with ignorant ppl?

keep adding coolant to ur water...... undecided

oluwaseunla:

I'm telling you to use Google. I don't need google cos I'm a technician. I fix cars. My cars run on thermostat and they don't have the issues you claim. I have a 17 year old Nissan, still on thermostat, and still with its temperate region specs without overheating issues on the hottest days, with AC and full load.

Any car that overheats has a cooling system issue and should be troubleshoted and fixed. I hope you know cars made brand new in Nigeria have thermostats, and they don't have bigger radiators despite our hot weather, so what exactly are you trying to insinuate?

leave him be

it not worth the stress grin
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
PrecisionFx:

How old is the car?

Paale (my dad) got it this year, though he bought it from someone, definitely not new or close to new
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2018
timifakay:

Vehicle should contain coolant, not water.
As you said the vehicle has been worked on several times, very likely the system has been terribly compromised and every trick in the book tried which will mean a total overall will be necessary to return to factory spec.
What's the vehicle make, model and year?

well the vehicle is a volkswagen product, model is vento dont know about d year..
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:05pm On Feb 22, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Might be wise to buy another better replacement engine.......

Head gasket is too tired and wants to retire completely.... While your Kazeem is at it, check conditions of radiator + thermostat....

replacement engine?? shocked that one na money o

by the way, who is kazeem?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:06pm On Feb 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
D car na passat

nah, its a volkswagen product, model is vento
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:07pm On Feb 22, 2018
misterchris:
Nobody to Bleep it when its on heat so it overheats.

are you sure you are okay mister?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
[quote author=id4sho post=65232469]dirty radiator, bad cooking fan, weak water hose,
bad gasket, bad radiator cover ,check for cracks on all plastic and rubber, bad seal.
Test radiator compression. [/quote

funny enough it is the water tank that overheats...the radiator seems okay

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2018
Yankee101:
The radiator is likely Too small.

You bought a car conditioned for winter to high temperatures. Get a bigger radiator.

Once you're sure fans are functional and you add coolant to the water you use and your gasket is not burnt.

coolant?? well there was a I used cold water, but it still overheated,,,what type of coolant are you talking about?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:23pm On Feb 22, 2018
sweerychick:
Alot of factors can cause engine overheating
, from lack of engine coolant to a faulty engine fan, to a faulty thermostat to a bad hose, to a bad water pump, to a bad head gasket, to a bad engine
All are culprits..

Check the kinda engine coolant your dad's car uses. Not every car use only water as a source of coolant, you can mix up anti freeze to raise the boiling point of the coolant

If that doesn't work check if your vehicle fan is blowing well and the direction it's blowing air, also the electrical wiring fuses and relays An electrician can do that for you. You can also step up the fan to see if it would help.

If that doesn't work check your cars thermostat, although most cars are equipped with thermostat, sometimes due to weather difference between us and temperate regions it can cause the engine fan to malfunction

If that doesn't work check wether there is a leaking hose, especially from the radiator side to the engine also check if your radiator is dirty as well otherwise you have to wash it or replace it

If that doesn't work check the water pump, a faulty water pump can cause an engine to overheat

If that doesn't work check the head gasket, a bad head gasket would leave an oil trace on the radiator coolant, if you check your coolant every morning you would see oil traces

If all of the above doesn't work it means your dad's engine is bad, or weak or very old. At this point consider getting a new engine or a vehicle. Overheating destroys the engine faster than anything else

i think the gasket was changed not quite long ago actually, so i doubt the gasket is the issue here
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
adanny01:

This could be a simple case of bad radiator cover or in worst case the entire radiator.

The problem is no Mechanic drives the car, so the mechanic is not there when the problem happened and will most likely treat one issue for another. It is your responsibility as the driver to do some basic test and observations which will aid the mechanic in choosing the actual fault. A leak, is not the same as burnt head gasket. A bad radiator cap is not the same as bad radiator.

I suggest start from the cheapest solution. That will be to change the radiator cap. Cap failure causes boiling and spilling of water in a system that seems ok. The reserve tank will always fill up then spill water from there.

the water tank is what is doing the overheating
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:26pm On Feb 22, 2018
jimb:
I don't knw the thetype of car but my advice is fr you to bfill the radiator halve way so thhe return hose can exhale.

the water tank is always filled halfway bro...
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:31pm On Feb 22, 2018
Hunter22:
Lot of things can attribute to that.1) most of the cars come with thermostat because of the cold weather abroad so it would still keep the engine hot till the next day, once it not been removed here in nigeria the car overheats on every little stress like when put on the Ac, on a hill, trafic etc. 2) when your radiator And Ac vent is not alway washed to allow the free flow of fresh air. 3) when the engine top gasket is somehow burnt it makes the engine over hear,4) overloading does that.5)low or no water.6)radiator fans re one of the slow poisions, when the rotation decreases like it doesn't bring in air from outside into the engine( you can check that buy using an empty sachet of pure water and placing it right infront of you car Ac external condenser while your engine is on, if it sticks there know it's okay and if it's not, has an issue.. Thanks ya all, hope it you get the solution here

well it cannot be 4 or 5....thanks for your input
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 2:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
[quote author=bluediesel03 post=65254062]OP. Check the radiator hose and see if any is leaking, weak top gasket, please use coolant instead of water. And most importantly, loose the vehicle radiator and take it for a wash, (machine wash), maybe the radiator holes are blocked. Thank me later[/quote

the radiator is okay i think...the water tank is what is overheating and transferring hot water to the radiator...gasket was changed recently, ....what is this coolant everyone's talking about?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2018
franugo:

Paale (my dad) got it this year, though he bought it from someone, definitely not new or close to new

It's either an error that can be fixed, Or such thing can happen if the car was initially built for a very cold country.

The solution is usually to change the thermostat.

Look for a very good mechanic

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deleted / Offline Uber, Taxify And Oga Taxi In Lagos, Ogun And Ibadan / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.