Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,544 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:37 PM

They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss (22135 Views)

EFCC Arrests Maurice Iwu, Ex-INEC Chairman / Election Shelving: Buhari Considering Amina Zakari To Replace INEC Boss —CUPP / Charly Boy Protests At INEC Headquarters Over Underage Voting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:31am On Feb 19, 2018

Ex-National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Lai Olurode, in light of the recent underage registration says many tried to murder him when he refused such many
years ago.

With this being said, Olurode, called on the FG
to ensure the safety of all registration officers, who are mostly members of the National Youth Service Corps. Olurode was the INEC National Commissioner for the South-West from 2010 to 2015.

He made this known during an interview with Punch on Sunday while reacting to allegations of underage voting in the recently concluded local government election in Kano State. “If the people can be enlightened, underage voting will reduce.

There are certain areas of this country where even if they know the person is a kid, they will insist that the child must vote. “I had to run for my life at one of the election centres in a part of the country because these people said children must vote or there would be no election at all. It is that bad.

The APC government has a responsibility to deliver an election that will be better than the 2015 election. “The Kano State example is a bad signal and a warning that we really have a lot to do and the voter register is key.

The register must be clean, it must not have ghost names or underage voters.” Olurode added; “In the course of my service to the nation during the Jega’s era, it was happening in many parts of the country but there are specific geographic locations where it is very common which means the problem can be tackled if responded to promptly by all the stakeholders.

“When you see community leaders coming to meet you with a prepared list of children to be registered and you refuse, you come under threat. “In some parts of the country, when you refuse to register a child, they go away but in some other parts, the people are the ones who will demand that the child is registered.”

The former INEC boss called on the Federal Government to harmonise the several databases in the country as this would reduce underage voting. He also called for the training of security agents; “Some security agents look the other way or tell you to allow the underage voters to vote.

In one election which I monitored, a commissioner of police said the presiding officer should ‘cooperate’ with the governor to allow them to thumbprint.

“Of course, that election was cancelled. So, there is a need for voter education among security agents and others. So that when they are asked to do the wrong thing, they can refuse.”

https://www.brainnewsradio.com/almost-killed-rejecting-underage-registration-ex-inec-boss/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by saintneo(m): 6:32am On Feb 19, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Read more at https://www.brainnewsradio.com/almost-killed-rejecting-underage-registration-ex-inec-boss/

Lalasticlala
those northerners!

They claim they have huge population, they marry four wives at least, yet they register children for election.

wow! I thought I would get some award for being the first to comment. Peeps kindly give me more likes and shares so that I can feel this enviable achievement.

117 Likes 9 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by pyyxxaro: 6:33am On Feb 19, 2018
Sai Buhari undecided

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by CLASSMAN: 6:34am On Feb 19, 2018
They gain from it so no action will be taken na

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by divinehand2003(m): 6:34am On Feb 19, 2018
Why didn't you talk then?

Anyways, since the north wants this underage voting, I think INEC has to amend their reforms to include all children of any age at any place. Equation will then be balanced.

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 19, 2018
divinehand2003:
Why didn't you talk then?
While he was still chopping?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by kcmichael: 6:37am On Feb 19, 2018
They almost killed me here in the SS,SE & SW for wanting to stop mass thumb printing in Rivers state in 2015,Delta,Abia etc

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Blakjewelry(m): 6:37am On Feb 19, 2018
I know its the notern guys

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 19, 2018
Yeye people, that's how they get their large numbers. Even our last population Census, I no trust am.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Tallesty1(m): 6:44am On Feb 19, 2018
kcmichael:
They almost killed me here in the SS,SE & SW for wanting to stop mass thumb printing in Rivers state in 2015,Delta,Abia etc
They almost killed you in SS, SE, & SW for wanting to stop mass thumb printing in river state? What are you trying to say sir?
You sure say your brain don boot finish?

143 Likes 7 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by midolian(m): 6:46am On Feb 19, 2018
And you are just saying it after how many years?

Well, I want to believe this is IPOB news and the Prof will soon come out to deny saying this..

1 Like

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:49am On Feb 19, 2018
midolian:

Well, I want to believe this is IPOB news and the Prof will soon come out to deny saying this..

Which one is IPOB news again?

24 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Adekdammy: 6:49am On Feb 19, 2018
We know the geographical location you are talking about sir, northern part of Nigeria.

If inec is serious delist these underage voters and also provide maximum security for the inec staff that would be on duty, if possible don't use corpers, because they are always the first point of attack.

So when kano state governor said he would deliver 5 million votes for pa buhari, now we know where the votes are coming from.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Desyner: 6:52am On Feb 19, 2018
midolian:

Underage voting is now IPOB fabrication also ?

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Mastadestiny(m): 6:55am On Feb 19, 2018
Underage voting will continue in the North. Only God can save us from these people. Why won't Kano deliver 2m votes. It's really pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Onwe101(m): 6:56am On Feb 19, 2018
Arewa!!!

2 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by kcmichael: 6:58am On Feb 19, 2018
Underage voting brought brought Obj,yaradua and GEJ to power.underage voting in the north,mass thumb printing in the South.All na the same

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by strangest(m): 6:59am On Feb 19, 2018
The only solution to this is to legalize underage voters...

The inec officials are collaborators...

First, You registered them and still allowed them to vote

Why not register them and flag them red making them ineligible to vote...

Jonathan was just clueless

10 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by EternalTruths: 6:59am On Feb 19, 2018
Underage voting can not stop in the North.

Divide the dammed country and allow Arewa people live like their Somalia counterparts

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by bornolowu(m): 7:03am On Feb 19, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Read more at https://www.brainnewsradio.com/almost-killed-rejecting-underage-registration-ex-inec-boss/

Lalasticlala
education still remains the key to solving most of the problem of the north and yes not islamic education.i have seen here in the south how a supposed 16year old boy was sent home by members of the public who prevented him from registering... a president in his wisdom started the alimajiri schools but another president who those not know the value of education see no reason he should continue or even expand the program,northern elites are also a disgrace in themselves wanting to keep their subject in continued ignorance! This happened in 2015 and worse than it will happen in 2019 as nepotism rules in this admistration .... inec has a major role to play here by isolating and not processing the voters card of this underaged voters and if this affec t aged voters, it butresses the point that inec and the society will not condole such irregularities and by so doing,the people will take on the fight to prevent underage d voting

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by kcmichael: 7:03am On Feb 19, 2018
Tallesty1:
They almost killed you in SS, SE, & SW for wanting to stop mass thumb printing in river state? What are you trying to say sir?
You sure say your brain don boot finish?

I mean why do you condemn others for f^cking ur sister why u are busy f^cking other people sister.the same underage voting that brought Obj,yaradua and GEJ to power.under age voting in the north & mass thumb printing in the south are all the same.

5 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Nobody: 7:04am On Feb 19, 2018
i can believe it
Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:05am On Feb 19, 2018
it's funny to wait till 2018 for you to reveal the truth...well you have to be clear on these..we are all quilty of election malpractice innthe country even the security agencies and community leaders are all involved.....the last elections in kano state has open the floodgates.....underage voters ......in a mere local govt elections...I wonder what 2019 will be like

1 Like

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by kcmichael: 7:05am On Feb 19, 2018
Under age voting in the north & mass thumb printing in the south.different method same result .the same sh^it different hole.

3 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by FRESHG(m): 7:12am On Feb 19, 2018
kcmichael:
A.BOKIS CAN LIE FOR AFRICAgrin

25 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by VonTrapp: 7:13am On Feb 19, 2018
kcmichael:
See them, reactionaries. Whenever there is an effort to correct an evil practice, they come out with some diversionary nonsense to derail it.

24 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by FRESHG(m): 7:15am On Feb 19, 2018
kcmichael:

I mean why do you condemn others for f^cking ur sister why u are busy f^cking other people sister.the same underage voting that brought Obj,yaradua and GEJ to power.under age voting in the north & mass thumb printing in the south are all the same.
HAVE YOU SVCKED BULLHARY'S BALLS TODAY

23 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by oyatmicah(m): 7:17am On Feb 19, 2018
sometimes it baffles me how a TYPICAL "northerner" tinks, d few elites among them only wants dia own children to go to sch to succeed dem even if dey graduate wit a pass nd thus will do all in dia power to make sure other people's children are uneducated so dat dey can b brainwashed to do dia biddings and remain uninformed.
cos y would u allow ur child to engage in such act not meant for underaged just for d satisfaction of one political slowpoke.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 19, 2018
You won't hear Buhari say anything about this....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:20am On Feb 19, 2018
kcmichael:
Under age voting in the north & mass thumb printing in the south.different method same result .the same sh^it different hole.

Oh no! God will help us..

3 Likes

Re: They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Voting - Lai Olurode, Ex-INEC Boss by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:21am On Feb 19, 2018
Mrokaykay:
You won't hear Buhari say anything about this....

He will..

Just give him

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate to screen Buhari’s nominees Thursday / PTF: Farmers Should Prepare To Return To Their Farms / First City Monument Bank On Fire In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.