Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Some Employers Are Just Harsh - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Employers Are Just Harsh (11621 Views)

Why Do Some Employers Prefer Ladies For Jobs Than Men? / What Employees Go Through In The Hands Of Some Employers In Nigeria / 5 Proven Reasons Why Employers Are Rejecting Your CV Without Even Reading It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Employers Are Just Harsh by vevcommedia(m): 1:56am On Feb 20, 2018
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by jobbitto(m): 3:28am On Feb 20, 2018
When there are thousands of unemployed people attending just one interview, they will always look for a way or any slightest mistake from any individual to disqualify candidates. They would av gotten who they want by now, going back will be a waste of time

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by femi4: 5:58am On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?
They are not harsh, if you are going for an interview, you have to factor in at least 1hr for unseen circumstances. I m sure your friend didn't include that in his preparation

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by tenmariner: 7:16am On Feb 20, 2018
That is what u find in the Nigeria working climate and for your cousin, wish him all d very best as the attitude expressed by the firm speaks volume of the working condition. 12 mins of lateness shouldn't be tantamount to disqualification most esp when d candidate had earlier informed them. Moreover, d best candidate can just be they guy held down in the traffic. Either factoring unseen circumstances or not, u cannot be precise about it most esp Lagos. What if it was an accident that require hospital treatment? How do u factor that.
I once attended an interview and noticed the garrulousness of one of the interviewer. He happens to be the M.D.
He asked me how much will I Bring to the firm. As far as I was concerned, that was a very dangerous questions that can be used against u later. I told him I need to at least know the modus operandi of my unit( if employed) then take a look at their product, their costing mechanism, the market forces of demand and supply, product performance index etc... In response, he thundered I must quote a figure. At that point, I told him the question should have been reserved for a different occasion and moreover, I am not so desperate for the position! The other interviewing panel esp a woman burst into laughter... I just packed my files and left. ...Mind you, this same interview was delayed by strong 2 hours. It was d Saturday of 2016 experience musical night at TBS lagos.. I had to quickly leave d program by 5 am..cos d interview was scheduled by 9am..None of the interview panelist arrived till past 11am...
Bottom line is, let ur cousin continue applying, pray and very soon, something better will come his way..

103 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Aieboocaar(m): 8:57am On Feb 20, 2018
OP pele o!!!... your own better sef!

It was this same forum someone posted that he got rejected in a job interview because he ate the food they willingly offered him!! angry

NIGERIA DON TAYA ME
angry

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Tolbanks(f): 8:58am On Feb 20, 2018
hmmmmmn!
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 20, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by bokunrawo(m): 8:58am On Feb 20, 2018
F
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by AntiWailer: 8:58am On Feb 20, 2018
You are being sentimental.

Secondly, i guess your cousin does not have what they need.

Next time u give room for uncertainties when u have an appointment especially0 in Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by rottenPussy: 9:00am On Feb 20, 2018
I'm sure if this your friend was going to US Embassy for a 5am appointment, being fully aware of the traffic situation in Lagos, he would have left his house as early as 9pm the night before!

Truth be told, your friend didn't give a due regard to the body in question.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Jacyluv(f): 9:02am On Feb 20, 2018
It might be true shall....tho i have not experience it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 9:02am On Feb 20, 2018
They are not harsh! You or ur cousin are not serious. U know how lagos traffic is, you shld factor that in your movement and since its ur bus that broke down why didn't u quickly join another vehicle n move instead of waiting for the bus to be fixed. So had it been d bus was not fixed u for tell them to reschedule d interview?

13 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by dayleke: 9:02am On Feb 20, 2018
A better one loading for him
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Apination(m): 9:02am On Feb 20, 2018
Seriously! Was that the only bus going towards that direction? And how dare u call 12 mins only undecided

8 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Kjking(m): 9:02am On Feb 20, 2018
lol
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by datola: 9:03am On Feb 20, 2018
The company was not reasonable and professional in their decision.

His lateness was because of an unforeseen circumstance which he duly notified them of when it happened.

5 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by NaijaEfcc: 9:03am On Feb 20, 2018
He should take it in good faith and move on, this is life

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by ybalogs(m): 9:03am On Feb 20, 2018
He shot himself in the leg albeit unintentionally. He's not the only one being invited and it's quite obvious the interviewers will be glad they won't need to stress themselves all over again. Wouldn't blame them in this regard.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by ybalogs(m): 9:04am On Feb 20, 2018
That's just a clog by the way. His hussles will definitely pay off soonest by God's grace . All the best.

4 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by millionboi2: 9:05am On Feb 20, 2018
Self employe
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by akeentech(m): 9:06am On Feb 20, 2018
Be self employed don't wait on anybody for your destiny, I was once like you but today I'm independent.

Contact me to start making money online and stop wasting your data for nothing

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by AndyAustin(m): 9:06am On Feb 20, 2018
Keep looking for another job and forget about the lost interview. My simple advice. I've been in such situation serious, its not good to waste your resources expecting. That's reality, accept it and move on.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by AdolfHitlerxXx: 9:07am On Feb 20, 2018
rottenPussy:
I'm sure if this your friend was going to US Embassy for a 5am appointment, being fully aware of the traffic situation in Lagos, he would have left his house as early as 9pm the night before!

Truth be told, your friend didn't give a due regard to the body in question.

Sad to say this...but you are very right.

If it was US Embassy, I am 100% sure the guy wouldn't be texting or emailing that he would be late because he knows they mean business and that thousands of applicants are waiting...

He didn't show any regard for the company and they reciprocated too

If a job would pay you $1million monthly, most people would sacrifice going to their mothers' burials just to be 1hr early to interview grin

12 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Stevengerd(m): 9:09am On Feb 20, 2018
That Nigga no serious

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Slymonster(m): 9:11am On Feb 20, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:

Sad to say this...but you are very right.

If it was US Embassy, I am 100% sure the guy wouldn't be texting or emailing that he would be late because he knows they mean business and that thousands of applicants are waiting...

He didn't show any regard for the company and they reciprocated too

12 min late to an american embassy will still get register and do the interview..What are y'all saying.He didn't write one hour late or two hours late.

4 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by youngbelieve(f): 9:12am On Feb 20, 2018
Ehya!!! Op ur bro should take heart nd shouldn't give up,stuffs like dis happens all de time
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 20, 2018
grin
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by jashar(f): 9:21am On Feb 20, 2018
he should keep looking for other opportunities. it's not the end of the road... his own will come.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by mikaj(m): 9:22am On Feb 20, 2018
Either some of you ain't got eyes or you just plain dumb. Factor in what? Traffic in Lagos?

The op stated the bus broke down. Try factoring that. Smh

@op que Sera Sera. What will be will be. What's yours is yours.

Send your cousin's CV to me. No promises.

Cheers.

10 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by oshdam2015: 9:24am On Feb 20, 2018
He should factor in, at least, 1 hour right?. It is okay, but don't forget that they will require you to attend an interview during working hour. And in most cases, they will delay you. Most of them don't even commence the interview at the stated time. So they help you in wasting working hours that your current employer will pay you for.
femi4:
They are not harsh, if you are going for an interview, you have to factor in at least 1hr for unseen circumstances. I m sure your friend didn't include that in his preparation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Your Boss Is Younger Than You / Job Vacancies Nationwide from 2016 / Academic Vacancies At Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture (179 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.