Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Some Employers Are Just Harsh - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Employers Are Just Harsh (11622 Views)

Why Do Some Employers Prefer Ladies For Jobs Than Men? / What Employees Go Through In The Hands Of Some Employers In Nigeria / 5 Proven Reasons Why Employers Are Rejecting Your CV Without Even Reading It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by PotatoSalad(m): 9:25am On Feb 20, 2018
Jeez.
I just imagine myself going to a job interview dressed up and shii lol.
Last place i worked (Internship) 2013, they said my only problem was late coming lool.
God is good finally. It's good to be self employed

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Jokerman(m): 9:27am On Feb 20, 2018
You know how Lagos traffic be na... o had an interview at Lekki at 12pm, I had to leave the mainland at 7 to avoid stories that touch.... u know traffic na...
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by femi4: 9:32am On Feb 20, 2018
oshdam2015:
He should factor in, at least, 1 hour right?. It is okay, but don't forget that they will require you to attend an interview during working hour. And in most cases, they will delay you. Most of them don't even commence the interview at the stated time. So they help you in wasting working hours that your current employer will pay you for.
That's a different scenario. I m talking about someone that's jobless and have enough time to prepare for the interview
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by nkemjacob2(m): 9:33am On Feb 20, 2018
I'm going to fight corruption in the traffic sector, until there re no More go slow - Buhari

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by KrystosCJ(m): 9:35am On Feb 20, 2018
Aieboocaar:
OP pele o!!!... your own better sef!

It was this same forum someone posted that he got rejected in a job interview because he ate the food they willingly offered him!! angry

NIGERIA DON TAYA ME
angry

The interviewers must be really insane. I also heard about a guy who didn't get a job simply because when he was asked, "How do you do?", he replied, "How do you do?"
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by tbliss22(m): 10:06am On Feb 20, 2018
rottenPussy:
I'm sure if this your friend was going to US Embassy for a 5am appointment, being fully aware of the traffic situation in Lagos, he would have left his house as early as 9pm the night before!

Truth be told, your friend didn't give a due regard to the body in question.

You just spoke my mind. For crying out loud, this is an interview and one ought to plan to be at the venue an hour before time.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by lastclaire4(f): 10:13am On Feb 20, 2018
femi4:
They are not harsh, if you are going for an interview, you have to factor in at least 1hr for unseen circumstances. I m sure your friend didn't include that in his preparation
Some candidates have been lost by that means. I know of a place they refused someone cos he arrived too early. Modern day organisation do not do that. 12mins lateness is acceptable. The panel conducting the interview should still be around. He sent a text for Christ sake.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by lastclaire4(f): 10:18am On Feb 20, 2018
KrystosCJ:

The interviewers must be really insane. I also heard about a guy who didn't get a job simply because when he was asked, "How do you do?", he replied, "How do you do?"
Don't mind the organisation. The world has gone past that archaic method. The way some of us talk it is easy to tell who is out of job. If someone has to sneak out of work for interview some nairalanders expect people like that to put one hour before time.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by femi4: 10:19am On Feb 20, 2018
lastclaire4:

Some candidates have been lost by that means. I know of a place they refused someone cos he arrived too early. Modern day organisation do not do that. 12mins lateness is acceptable. The panel conducting the interview should still be around. He sent a text for Christ sake.
Common sense should be apply. When you arrive at the venue too early, you can hang around

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by mapist(m): 10:20am On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?

A supposed colleague of mine got denied her training school letter on the 1st day of our induction because of being 12 minutes late.

Please, note what i put up earlier "supposed colleague" which means she had already passed all tests cum interviews. So, if someone could be denied this because of lateness, i see no reason why your brother can't be denied audience for doing same.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by fortune1968: 10:36am On Feb 20, 2018
Lomprico2:
They are not harsh! You or ur cousin are not serious. U know how lagos traffic is, you shld factor that in your movement and since its ur bus that broke down why didn't u quickly join another vehicle n move instead of waiting for the bus to be fixed. So had it been d bus was not fixed u for tell them to reschedule d interview?
see u .Is it every point in Lagos you think that another bus can be joined easily ? Do you go out in public transport ? I'm not sure that your thoughts are deep and considerate enough to be considered as that of a matured and experienced person.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 10:37am On Feb 20, 2018
fortune1968:
see u .Is it every point in Lagos you think that another bus can be joined easily ? Do you go out in public transport ? I'm not sure that your thoughts are deep and considerate enough to be considered as that of a matured and experienced person.

The job never hungry am!
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by mapist(m): 10:39am On Feb 20, 2018
AntiWailer:
You are being sentimental.

Secondly, i guess your cousin does not have what they need.

Next time u give room for uncertainties when u have an appointment especially0 in Lagos.

The only reasonable write up so far.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by lastclaire4(f): 10:49am On Feb 20, 2018
femi4:
Common sense should be apply. When you arrive at the venue too early, you can hang around
I
Femi u won't go so early to for a job interview when u are working else where and probably sneaked out. It tells much about the working condition of that place. There is no humane face. Even international firms do not take things this harsh. I have gone for an interview before I was late what they did was to tell me to relax till I am ready. The panel started coming out one oafter the other " ooh are u the one" and stuffs like that. When i got ready these people asked over and over again "are u really ready?" Organisations are driving towards making the workplace a fun place . That attitude drives me to achieve whatever in the work place cos I have a nice boss.

4 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by KrystosCJ(m): 10:49am On Feb 20, 2018
lastclaire4:

Don't mind the organisation. The world has gone past that archaic method. The way some of us talk it is easy to tell who is out of job. If someone has to sneak out of work for interview some nairalanders expect people like that to put one hour before time.

To expand on your point, here's my own labor market story albeit from another angle.

The last place I worked I knew there was nothing left for me, and I didn't have the stomach to take the rubbish I was getting from them. So I called my supervisor and reported that I was ill, an obvious lie. She told me that my illness was my problem and I have to report to work. In her words, "So you just became ill overnight?" Her reply pained me. So if I was really ill, her words would finish me.

I had an interview scheduled for that day and I decided to zero my mind on my former place of engagement [in fact, if you don't have an employment letter or some legal document to tender to show that you're an employee of an organization, they're engaging you]. During the interview, the banshee called and I informed her I would be coming to work tomorrow.

She told me to get ready for my sack letter. I told her, "In that case, I won't be reporting to work tomorrow. I don't see how you will give me a termination letter when in the first place, I have not received a letter of employment from you. If my services are no longer needed, just tell me here and I will accept since it was word of mouth that you used to engage me in the first place." I turned on the recorder on my smartphone, anticipating her reply.

For about a minute, her end was silent. Then she spoke rather softly, "When you come tomorrow, come and see me in my office." I replied, "Hopefully, we will see tomorrow."

Then I cut the call. Since then, I have not turned back and I'm very OK where I am now.

2 Likes

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 10:51am On Feb 20, 2018
vevcommedia:
My cousin was going to an interview on the island. Unfortunately his bus broke down on 3rd mainland bridge. It was a while before their bus was fixed and he got late to the interview. He sent a mail and text to the company (from the email that invited him) when he noticed the situation was going to make him late. He finally got there and these guys refused to see him, saying their policy doesn't allow for lateness. I understand it's not good to be late but since he explained ahead of time, shouldn't they have allowed him. It seem so harsh, the guy has been hustling, we know how things are difficult in Lagos. He was only about 12 min late.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Should he keep trying to contact, maybe fight for another interview date?

So sorry...
Next time, he needs to wake up by 5am and be there by 6am.
That is what most candidates do.
They either lounge in the waiting room of the interview venue or hang around eateries or public places until they can gain entrance into the interview.

God works miracles.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Acehart: 11:06am On Feb 20, 2018
Companies hate lateness for an interview. It shows one or many things they hate. The greatest of all of them is not being pro-active. I know someone who had an interview in Ikeja scheduled for 11:30 am; but he left his house at Ajah by 5:00 am. For one who lives in Lagos, traffic, fuel scarcity, car breakdown etc. can hold you bound for several hours. Anticipation is the key word. Does he have an excuse? One thing I know, all things work together for good to them that love God. His loss is to his advantage. Let him cheer up.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 11:10am On Feb 20, 2018
Lomprico2:
They are not harsh! You or ur cousin are not serious. U know how lagos traffic is, you shld factor that in your movement and since its ur bus that broke down why didn't u quickly join another vehicle n move instead of waiting for the bus to be fixed. So had it been d bus was not fixed u for tell them to reschedule d interview?
u know weda dem dey where u no fit see bus to take
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 20, 2018
lastclaire4:
I
Femi u won't go so early to for a job interview when u are working else where and probably sneaked out. It tells much about the working condition of that place. There is no humane face. Even international firms do not take things this harsh. I have gone for an interview before I was late what they did was to tell me to relax till I am ready. The panel started coming out one oafter the other " ooh are u the one" and stuffs like that. When i got ready these people asked over and over again "are u really ready?" Organisations are driving towards making the workplace a fun place . That attitude drives me to achieve whatever in the work place cos I have a nice boss.
The op should not work there. I close from work latest 4:00pm. i was 2 hrs late fro an appointement tey informed me two week before the d-day. upon getting there, they asked me, can we continue this interview or postpone it to anoter day, I said, No, after their break, I ws interviewed.I got the job. it turned out the place is fun to be, the other two applicants were skyped. Resumption is 9:00am closing 4:00pm

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 11:23am On Feb 20, 2018
nkemjacob2:
I'm going to fight corruption in the traffic sector, until there re no More go slow - Buhari

hahaha...yeah they lie like that. grin
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 11:24am On Feb 20, 2018
KrystosCJ:

For real? Please mention me on the thread,
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by titsqueez(m): 11:28am On Feb 20, 2018
Move on my broda. Nobody has time to listen to your tales of the unexpected. Next time leave with enough time to spare.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 11:29am On Feb 20, 2018
lastclaire4:
I

You`re being idealistic.
what happened to the OP is what every job seeker should guard against.
But like I said, God works miracles and grace is available.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by SoldierBoy1(m): 11:30am On Feb 20, 2018
Nigerian employers behave like they were not once job seekers too. They act as Demi gods.

1 Like

Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by Lomprico2: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2018
Teetopz:

Na bush dem follow? Abi bush parts dey for mainland to island? angry
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 11:33am On Feb 20, 2018
KrystosCJ:

To expand on your point, here's my own labor market story albeit from another angle.

The last place I worked I knew there was nothing left for me, and I didn't have the stomach to take the rubbish I was getting from them. So I called my supervisor and reported that I was ill, an obvious lie. She told me that my illness was my problem and I have to report to work. In her words, "So you just became ill overnight?" Her reply pained me. So if I was really ill, her words would finish me.

I had an interview scheduled for that day and I decided to zero my mind on my former place of engagement [in fact, if you don't have an employment letter or some legal document to tender to show that you're an employee of an organization, they're engaging you]. During the interview, the banshee called and I informed her I would be coming to work tomorrow.

She told me to get ready for my sack letter. I told her, "In that case, I won't be reporting to work tomorrow. I don't see how you will give me a termination letter when in the first place, I have not received a letter of employment from you. If my services are no longer needed, just tell me here and I will accept since it was word of mouth that you used to engage me in the first place." I turned on the recorder on my smartphone, anticipating her reply.

For about a minute, her end was silent. Then she spoke rather softly, "When you come tomorrow, come and see me in my office." I replied, "Hopefully, we will see tomorrow."

Then I cut the call. Since then, I have not turned back and I'm very OK where I am now.

hohoho that was a low and painful blow you dealt her bro shocked
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by boyjo: 11:34am On Feb 20, 2018
Teetopz:

True o but what if them dey?
oya OP answer
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by vevcommedia(m): 11:39am On Feb 20, 2018
tenmariner:
That is what u find in the Nigeria working climate and for your cousin, wish him all d very best as the attitude expressed by the firm speaks volume of the working condition. 12 mins of lateness shouldn't be tantamount to disqualification most esp when d candidate had earlier informed them. Moreover, d best candidate can just be they guy held down in the traffic. Either factoring unseen circumstances or not, u cannot be precise about it most esp Lagos. What if it was an accident that require hospital treatment? How do u factor that.
I once attended an interview and noticed the garrulousness of one of the interviewer. He happens to be the M.D.
He asked me how much will I Bring to the firm. As far as I was concerned, that was a very dangerous questions that can be used against u later. I told him I need to at least know the modus operandi of my unit( if employed) then take a look at their product, their costing mechanism, the market forces of demand and supply, product performance index etc... In response, he thundered I must quote a figure. At that point, I told him the question should have been reserved for a different occasion and moreover, I am not so desperate for the position! The other interviewing panel esp a woman burst into laughter... I just packed my files and left. ...Mind you, this same interview was delayed by strong 2 hours. It was d Saturday of 2016 experience musical night at TBS lagos.. I had to quickly leave d program by 5 am..cos d interview was scheduled by 9am..None of the interview panelist arrived till past 11am...
Bottom line is, let ur cousin continue applying, pray and very soon, something better will come his way..

I am not blaming the employers, but, its just so harsh, we all know how Lagos is. Some days, ikorodu Road will just be blocked without any reason. One small accident, and traffic will spillover everywhere. All one's plans will be spoilt for no reason.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by vevcommedia(m): 11:43am On Feb 20, 2018
Apination:
Seriously! Was that the only bus going towards that direction? And how dare u call 12 mins only undecided

He called more than 12mins, I don't know exactly, but he said immediately he noticed he would be late. When he got there, story was different, he was informed they didn't have record of any message or text from any applicant.
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by AkupeMBANO(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2018
femi4:
They are not harsh, if you are going for an interview, you have to factor in at least 1hr for unseen circumstances. I m sure your friend didn't include that in his preparation
see your mouth. factorial ko ni
Mr. x factor
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by oshdam2015: 11:56am On Feb 20, 2018
oh.. Okay.
femi4:
That's a different scenario. I m talking about someone that's jobless and have enough time to prepare for the interview
Re: Some Employers Are Just Harsh by shankie: 12:01pm On Feb 20, 2018
Aieboocaar:
OP pele o!!!... your own better sef!

It was this same forum someone posted that he got rejected in a job interview because he ate the food they willingly offered him!! angry

NIGERIA DON TAYA ME
angry

the food I a form of interview too, he suppose to av known that bfor his intervie

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Your Boss Is Younger Than You / Job Vacancies Nationwide from 2016 / Academic Vacancies At Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture (179 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.