Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture (11951 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / A School Which Gives Bsc In Three Session. Is JPTS A Scam Or Legit? / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 2:08am On Feb 20, 2018
For ages in Nigeria, BSc has been considered above HND but there're some professional courses that are being studied by both institution which does not require any atom of dichotomy. Let's take a look at the course ARCHITECTURE.

This course has the same mode of learning at both ends, the teachings are the same, the laws and norms of the course are the same, the textbooks are the same, methods of execution are the same, the syllables are the same, in fact everything to get you up and running in the course are the same.

The only difference is the manner of teaching which is based on the individual (lecturers) in charge at both ends. To me, studying Architecture in the Polytechnic is the best because you actually get in touch with the practical aspects and physically take part in it while still knowing what your partner at the other end knows. They both propose and evaluate designs.

Many students in the Polytechnic can easily erect a building from start to finish even with their OND but same cannot be said about their University counterparts. This course is practically oriented and also demands a lot of individual creativity and technical abilities. Many Universities only deals more on the theory but they neglect the important practical part of the course because without a practical knowledge of the construction the Architect might end up creating more headache to the Engr on site thereby subjecting him to numerous corrections.

The irony of the whole matter is that many companies in Nigeria only hire University graduates as employees therefore neglecting a HND holder who has the same knowledge. It's not about the University or Polytechnic you went to but how creative you're in the field because it's an art too.

I beckon on Nigerian HR and construction companies to please give the HND graduates the chance to prove themselves and you'll marvel with the knowledge they have in this field. Creative minds are wasting on the streets. People with money making ideas for your real estate firms are wasting. Many a loosing hope in the course and dreams shattered. Many Poly graduates are industrious, they speak good English and they can defend their works.

They can also improve to the standard you want (Masters, PhD). Architecture is not Public Administration or Political science it's a course that calls for creative and practical minds with a sound knowledge of the course and building construction in general.

7 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by kingzjay(m): 10:15am On Feb 20, 2018
If you say so, I believe!

But without doubt, those assertions only exist in pages of newspapers. That discrimination still exists in reality.

I dedicate this FTC to my friend and Brother, Borono Iniodu, who is a year older today. Wishing you all the good things of life.

3 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by ufondunenye(f): 10:16am On Feb 20, 2018
This person above me, how can you be this fast?? I thought I have finally fulfilled a part of my destiny which my father always tell me to always be the first among others.
Why did you deprive me of that, why?? shocked angry
Mtcheeww

2 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by LordIsaac(m): 10:16am On Feb 20, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Bonaventura(m): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Sas4lyf: 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
itz true they deserve a chnce
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Desire01(f): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
Interesting
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by nairavsdollars(f): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
Lies. 7UP- The difference is clear

2 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by segzicres(m): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
I agree with you if you're gonna start your firm but not totally when it comes to being an employee

2 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by foliman(m): 10:20am On Feb 20, 2018
OP... you really made my day, I'm a HND holder in architecture can't forget how B.Sc students of architecture from some schools call me to help with their design and rendering... Honestly, architecture is far more beyond certificate, it is the will to learn things by yourself!

Having a better certificate doesn't guarantee your success in that field.

Like what my mentor in architecture once told me, he said don't learn architecture as a professional course alone learn the business of architecture.

below are works designed, modelled and rendered by me.

Once you can take up being a freelance in architecture, believe me you can take job from M.Sc. holder.

13 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by ArcFresky(m): 10:22am On Feb 20, 2018
I will assume that you have an HND?

But I don't believe HND students are being discriminated against in Architecture.

4 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by sunbbo(m): 10:28am On Feb 20, 2018
OK.

Apply For Federal Government Tertiary Scholarship Award 2017/2018

Federal Ministry of Education - The Honorable Minister of Education (HME) Mallam Adamu Adamu hereby invites applications from qualified Nigerian Students in Nigerian Public tertiary institutions to participate in the 2017/2018 selection interviews for scholarship awards tenable in Nigerian tertiary institutions. Federal Government Tertiary Scholarship Award 2017/2018 as follows;

Federal Government Scholarship Award (2017/2018) Tenable in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions

Eligibility Criteria

University Undergraduate:

All applicants must be full-time students in their second year of study and above in Federal or State Universities, they must have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.0 on a 5.0 point scale or its equivalent in the previous academic year’s examinations.
Higher National Diploma (HND):

All applicants must be full-time students in their second year of study in any of the Federal or State Polytechnics or Monotechnics, they must have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 4 scale or its equivalent in the previous academic year’s examinations.
Nigerian Certificate in Education (NCE):

All applicants must be full-time students in their second year of study and above in any Federal or State Colleges of Education and they must have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 4 point scale, or its equivalent in the previous academic year’s examinations.

Postgraduate Scholarship:

Applicants must be registered full-time students of Federal or State universities and must have a minimum of second class Honours (Upper Division) in their 1st Degree.

Interview Dates

Northern States: (North East, North West & North Central): 19th - 23rd March, 2018
Southern States: (South East, South West & South South): 26th - 30th March, 2018

Interview Venue:

Federal Unity Colleges in each State Capital including FCT.
Where there is no Unity School in the State Capital, candidates should contact: The Secretary, State Scholarship Board in that State.

Click here to view details

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2018/02/19/federal-government-tertiary-scholarship/
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by lawalosky(m): 10:34am On Feb 20, 2018
true..
if you want HND go for engineering courses e.g elect/elect, chemical etc.
this courses are selling in the labour mkt like hot cake..... expecially elect/elect..
all my colleagues we graduated together are employed and they are all doing just fine....
proudlyHNDelect/elect....

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by superior1: 10:35am On Feb 20, 2018
Your title is misleading

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 10:35am On Feb 20, 2018
I was pounding on this issue with my dad while driving me to work this morning...

Who said there is no discrimination in Architecture?

I finished my OND in architecture last year (according to school calendar) .

To start with, you can never register as Architect with HND except you're ready to go through the stress of writing 3 professional exams.

At NIA(Nigeria institute of Architects) meetings HND holders can only be called technicians and not Architects.

Yes, there is little or no discrimination in the labour market, but some very few people that has vast knowledge of architecture will still tell you that they will like to give their projects to Bsc holders.

Our(arvhitects) own problems lies in our hands.Only if HND holders are allowed to certify buildings, Then discrimination is over, but if we're allowed to seal drawings. We're are now at Per.

I'll like to drop my pen here.

Warm Regards from an architect to be.!

Good morning y'all.

4 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by mayskit4luv(m): 10:37am On Feb 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by room089: 10:42am On Feb 20, 2018
Yes only if you are self employed
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by lovemeohlord(m): 10:45am On Feb 20, 2018
Fucking liar, Architecture depends on creativity, Curiosity, Personal motivation and Hardwork either you are a BSc or HNd graduate. Am an architecture student in a state university in Nigeria. I once saw a final project of an Nd 2 Arch student and when I saw his physical model I was surprised imagine designing a primary school with bad oriented parking lot and (Been in 200l that time) I corrected him where he was telling me that he knew.Imagine, Someone telling you he knew that he did rubbish. If someone could did that to his own work then more of that should be expected in his client work. We were recently been giving an assignment on designing a interior space of an hotel bar with the Plan, Spacial analysis, Lighting analysis, Design philosophy.You can't do any of these without readin and theory. Architecture is more than site work, beauty and art. It's more of been professional, Philosophy, Technology, Functionality and Design scope which you can't achieve any of it without theory. Polytechnic students/graduate's should stop shading the University ones.It's all about professionalism.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by hardbite(m): 11:02am On Feb 20, 2018
what is the need of a practical knowledge if you don't have a sound theoretical knowledge.
listen, the complications (problems) witnessed in buildings, is caused by lack of background knowledge. I was discussing with an artisan on the field, who claims "experience and practical knowledge" and he was saying that stirrups(links) can be spaced at 450mm, for a floor beam, I was shocked. However, the maximum spacing of a stirrup is 300mm (1 foot) according to standard. This example I gave is just minor.
you need to witness the blunders people that claim they have "practical" knowledge commit.

practical knowledge can be gained by practice, but how about the theoretical knowledge, can it?.

5 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by don4real18(m): 11:14am On Feb 20, 2018
hardbite:
what is the need of a practical knowledge if you don't have a sound theoretical knowledge.
listen, the complications (problems) witnessed in buildings, is caused by lack of background knowledge. I was discussing with an artisan on the field, who claims "experience and practical knowledge" and he was saying that stirrups(links) can be spaced at 450mm, for a floor beam, I was shocked. However, the maximum spacing of a stirrup is 300mm (1 foot) according to standard. This example I gave is just minor.
you need to witness the blunders people that claim they have "practical" knowledge commit.

practical knowledge can be gained by practice, but how about the theoretical knowledge, can it?.
So, are you trying to compare the knowledge of an artisan to that of a polytechnic Graduate

2 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Thefreethinker: 11:16am On Feb 20, 2018
HND graduates are by far more hardworking and can hustle harder for a job than those bsc people.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 20, 2018
hardbite:

Lol... Funny, see what you're comparing.

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 11:25am On Feb 20, 2018
foliman:
OP... you really made my day, I'm a HND holder in architecture can't forget how B.Sc students of architecture from some schools call me to help with their design and rendering... Honestly, architecture is far more beyond certificate, it is the will to learn things by yourself!

Having a better certificate doesn't guarantee your success in that field.

Like what my mentor in architecture once told me, he said don't learn architecture as a professional course alone learn the business of architecture.

below are works designed, modelled and rendered by me.

Once you can take up being a freelance in architecture, believe me you can take job from M.Sc. holder.

Lol... typical mindset of every Nigerian architect...

nobody wants to take up the jobs in the ministry and that is why the town planners believe they are superior to us, because we've neglected our job at the ministry of housing and every one wants to Freelance..
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by madapcmod: 11:29am On Feb 20, 2018
faorex:
I was pounding on this issue with my dad while driving me to work this morning...

Who said there is no discrimination in Architecture?

I finished my OND in architecture last year (according to school calendar) .

To start with, you can never register as Architect with HND except you're ready to go through the stress of writing 3 professional exams.

At NIA(Nigeria institute of Architects) meetings HND holders can only be called technicians and not Architects.

Yes, there is little or no discrimination in the labour market, but some very few people that has vast knowledge of architecture will still tell you that they will like to give their projects to Bsc holders.

Our(arvhitects) own problems lies in our hands.Only if HND holders are allowed to certify buildings, Then discrimination is over, but if we're allowed to seal drawings. We're are now at Per.

I'll like to drop my pen here.

Warm Regards from an architect to be.!

Good morning y'all.

Just an advise, with ur OND, go buy direct entry form into uni and get your Bsc/MSC in Architecture easily. You will frustrate yourself if you continue with HND.

1. You will eventually do PGD and masters before you will register and be certified

2. With ur HND, you will labour while the Bsc certifies and take glory for your work and enjoy ur money.

I am a COREN certified Engr and I know what poly graduates pass tru in my field.

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2018
ufondunenye:
This person above me, how can you be this fast?? I thought I have finally fulfilled a part of my destiny which my father always tell me to always be the first among others.
Why did you deprive me of that, why?? shocked angry
Mtcheeww
Very funny.
Don't lose hope. You shall fulfil destiny soon.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 11:39am On Feb 20, 2018
madapcmod:

Just an advise, with ur OND, go buy direct entry form into uni and get your Bsc/MSC in Architecture easily. You will frustrate yourself if you continue with HND.

1. You will eventually do PGD and masters before you will register and be certified

2. With ur HND, you will labour while the Bsc certifies and take glory for your work and enjoy ur money.

I am a COREN certified Engr and I know what poly graduates pass tru in my field.

Thanks for the advice sir.

bought my D. E form already.

to do PGD And masters is not a bad idea too, but it's just too stressful.

and no one wants to go through stress for something that could have been done easily.

Thank you sir for the piece of advice.

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 20, 2018
All these shading you guys are dishing out to University graduates will earn you no better spot that what you already have. It was your decision to enrol in a polythenic and not theirs. You know the recognition accorded to them and if that's what you want, stop complaining and get a degree. Poly graduates complain a lot but it was their choice.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am Hearing You/ I Can Hear You.which Is More Correct? / Nigerian Army 2016 Recruitment 75 RRI Regular Intake Form Released: HOW TO APPLY / Elizade University Gets Full License To Operate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.