Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It (13802 Views)

MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 / Why Charging Speed Slows Down After Reaching 90% / Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Review 1 Year Later - Should You Buy It In 2018? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:49am On Feb 21, 2018
Today almost everyone has an Android smartphone. These devices come with different specifications and in different sizes to suit each person's taste.

However, after six months of heavy usage, you'll notice a reduction in efficiency and performance .

There are many potential reasons that make smartphones to slow down after several months. So, in this post, I'm going to outline 5 common reasons which makes your phone to slow down after few months of usage.

1) OS Upgrades

Normally, Google releases updates annually and the latest version is Oreo ( I'm guessing the next version would be android pudding �).

Remember, when you first bought your phone, it might be running Android Marshmallow before you get an Upgrade notification. These upgrades are released with a certain set of hardware specs in mind.

This year, smartphone specifications have drastically improved. Many features have been added in the Android OS. However, these features are made with newer hardware specs in mind. So, there is a chance that if you are running the newer version of any operating system in an outdated phone then this can slow down your phone in no-time.

However, these upgrades are hard to ignore as it is for a Nigerian snake to avoid swallowing money.��

Minor updates are okay, but if you are planning to jump from Android Nougat to Oreo then be ready to face the difficulties.

2. App Updates
Facebook initially took just 35MB the first time I downloaded it , now with constant updates it's taking almost 300MB now .The so-called ‘lightweight’ apps that you install can transform to ‘heavyweight’ over the time. Developers are constantly pushing updates, every new update brings new features, which ends up using lots of RAM and CPU.
The best thing you can do is to once you feel the app is bloated, replace it with another light weight app.

3 Apps Running On The Background

Most times people tend to neglect background apps. Believe me or not, you have almost 80% more apps installed on your devices than when you first got it. Just go to your phone’s settings and have a brief look at all of your downloaded apps.

This problem arises when some apps keep running in the background without launching it. There are many apps like email services, messaging apps which are always active. These apps use CPU and RAM, which impacts negatively on your phone’s performance
So, make sure to disable or uninstall the apps which consume lots of RAM and CPU, switch to a static wallpaper and say goodbye to live wallpapers.

#4 Memory Degradation
Smartphones run on a flash memory, the most common type of flash memory is known as NAND. NAND memory gets slower as it fills up. In summary, NAND Memory usually requiresa certain amount of vacant blocks to operate efficiently.

Secondly, NAND memory degrades after some time of usage. NAND memory has three types- SLC, MLC, TLC each one of them has write cycle boundaries per memory cell. Once the limit is reached, the cells wear out and this affects the performance.

The best thing to do here is to stick with 75% of your device’s total storage capacity. For example, if you are having 16GB internal storage, don’t cross the 10GB threshold.

#5 Full Storage

Whenever your storage system is full in your Android phone just clear unnecessary files to prevent your phone from slowing down

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:51am On Feb 21, 2018
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by 0luwatope(m): 6:13am On Feb 21, 2018
Tecno phones will always slowdown for no reason,
Or maybe for a reason I don't know

Buying a camon cm soon sha, I'll manage it till I get money to buy xiaomi mi a1

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Nobody: 6:19am On Feb 21, 2018
If your phone has good RAM and ROM e.g. at least 2gb of RAM and 16gb of ROM, doing what OP said won't make your phone slowdown OR lag.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by lanre316: 6:33am On Feb 21, 2018
0luwatope:
Tecno phones will always slowdown for no reason,
Or maybe for a reason I don't know

Buying a camon cm soon sha, I'll manage it till I get money to buy xiaomi mi a1

The amount you want to use to buy that tecno camon will buy you a a good Xiaomi Redmi phone. Check out the Official Xiaomi thread.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by kokozain(m): 6:50am On Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for this info op
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Nutase: 6:53am On Feb 21, 2018
tongue
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by 0luwatope(m): 7:05am On Feb 21, 2018
lanre316:

The amount you want to use to buy that tecno camon will buy you a a good Xiaomi Redmi phone. Check out the Official Xiaomi thread.

Right now, I'm based at Akure, Ondo State. I'm not really a fan of going through the stress of importing screens, touchpad e.t.c so I can repair my faulty xiaomi.

Major reason i was considering tecno, also I can't travel to Lagos just to repair phone...

Is there a solution I don't know?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by fiercehillz(m): 7:15am On Feb 21, 2018
Nice info...thumbs up
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Primusinterpares(m): 7:18am On Feb 21, 2018
Just get a phone with large Ram and ROM and try to limit your space usage.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Collins0609(m): 7:19am On Feb 21, 2018
Ok
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by okedoyinolabisi(f): 7:20am On Feb 21, 2018
thanks for this info
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 21, 2018
shocked

Tecno's hanging is actually caused by spiritual forces.... No matter how good the RAM is, just give it some months after purchase, and you'll be amazed at the forces controlling the phone without your knowledge...

Crap is always Crap.. No matter how polished they may seem.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 21, 2018
How accurate is this info?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for sharing.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Goldenheart(m): 7:27am On Feb 21, 2018
Clean Samsung S7 edge for Sale!!! grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by SpecNg: 7:28am On Feb 21, 2018
Yea phones get clogged with memories overtime and its effect is slow performance especially for devices will low ram and inbuilt memory.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Simeony007(m): 7:30am On Feb 21, 2018
Use a clean master apps to clean up some junks and remove some same images plus huge files to save you from phone lag and increase your speed.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by zinosleek(m): 7:32am On Feb 21, 2018
Even with bigger ram and Tom, the efficiency of d phone drop in time. You can improve the efficiency and speed of Your phone http://www.wikizino.com.ng/2017/12/how-to-increase-speed-of-your-android.html
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by satowind(m): 7:38am On Feb 21, 2018
Nice one I love write ups that a the op carried out good research before typing
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by lanre316: 7:58am On Feb 21, 2018
0luwatope:

Right now, I'm based at Akure, Ondo State. I'm not really a fan of going through the stress of importing screens, touchpad e.t.c so I can repair my faulty xiaomi.

Major reason i was considering tecno, also I can't travel to Lagos just to repair phone...

Is there a solution I don't know?

I am also based in Akure and I have been using my Redmi Note 4X for the past 5 months and it's the best phone I've used so far. And I have used infinix Note 4, Tecno L9+, Infinix Hot Note, Tecno Phantom etc etc. The reason why you're thinking "repairs" and "faulty phone" is because you're used to Tecno and it's attendant faults and need for repairs. I too have used infinix note 4 that developed faults within one month and I understand. If you use a premium phone like iPhone, Huawei or Samsung or Xiaomi, you will see that a good phone is not made to be repaired and make you a regular customer at Carl Care centers but to be enjoyed. My Redmi had fallen twice from hand to a ceramic floor. No issues. Although I use screen glass protector and 360 cover, (which I would advise you to use in case you decided for Xiaomi)

10 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by nex(m): 8:39am On Feb 21, 2018
Let's not forget that Apple slows down its iPhone devices on purpose so they can force their users to buyer the newer models released into the market, which cost as much as N500,000.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by Shawnnn01: 8:40am On Feb 21, 2018
lanre316:

The last Xiaomi with Seyishay face on it I gave it out while I miss the cheap techno of just 40K plus I had before it.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by BeardedTraveler: 8:44am On Feb 21, 2018
lanre316:

I am also based in Akure and I have been using my Redmi Note 4X for the past 5 months and it's the best phone I've used so far. And I have used infinix Note 4, Tecno L9+, Infinix Hot Note, Tecno Phantom etc etc. The reason why you're thinking "repairs" and "faulty phone" is because you're used to Tecno and it's attendant faults and need for repairs. I too have used infinix note 4 that developed faults within one month and I understand. If you use a premium phone like iPhone, Huawei or Samsung or Xiaomi, you will see that a good phone is not made to be repaired and make you a regular customer at Carl Care centers but to be enjoyed. My Redmi had fallen twice from hand to a ceramic floor. No issues. Although I use screen glass protector and 360 cover, (which I would advise you to use in case you decided for Xiaomi)

Now I wish I can like ur comment many times over. Using Tecno and Infinix make us all accustomed to thinking of repairs, those people don dupe us gaan. Xiaomi is the way forward, y'all should join the moving train.

People would definitely wonder why we always praise Xiaomi every time, don't worry, you won't know what it is until u use or peruse any of their devices. Top value for ur money
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by ephbe(m): 8:56am On Feb 21, 2018
No offense bro
But i sincerely doubt this
An Iphone never lags unless in sm rare cases, dats d thing abt dem
Why do u think d chinese demslves as sophistatcated as they r wld always prefer Apple products to android or microsoft.
Apple users only upgrade because everyone wants a taste of d new thing
nex:
Let's not forget that Apple slows down its iPhone devices on purpose so they can force their users to buyer the newer models released into the market, which cost as much as N500,000.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by NLbully(m): 9:04am On Feb 21, 2018
Just root the Goddamn phone and Install Purify undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by austinereds(m): 9:28am On Feb 21, 2018
nice write up op. the update thing too much. Kilode.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by ollah2: 9:42am On Feb 21, 2018
ephbe:

No offense bro
But i sincerely doubt this
An Iphone never lags unless in sm rare cases, dats d thing abt dem
Why do u think d chinese demslves as sophistatcated as they r wld always prefer Apple products to android or microsoft.
Apple users only upgrade because everyone wants a taste of d new thing

All machines slows down. If any iUser tells you otherwise, he is simply lying. Apple also intentionally slows down their phones and there are several lawsuits against them regarding that problem.

There are over 3 billions chinese and last time I checked, most are Android users. Where did you get your stats from?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It by newslifeop: 9:51am On Feb 21, 2018
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Zero 2 Specs, Features And Price / Phone Repair Myths Debunked (A Must-read For All) / What Is The Difference Between Android One And Android Go Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.