Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? (13632 Views)

Buhari Doesn't Have To Debate, His Achievements For 3.5 Years Will Talk - APC / I Have Forgiven You, But You Have To Mend Your International Image~Obj To Atiku / Northerners, What Is The Plan Of The North For Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Stingman: 9:12am On Feb 22, 2018
booblacain:

If that is your concern, then you should consider also that a huge chunk of the achievement by southerners out there in most of the areas you mentioned are under the influence of the western world, by their tools and educational system.

Are you not exposed to the influence of western world, their tools and educational system.

10 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:15am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

Is that all?
I'm not an hausa but I will tell u more......what of Sanusi Lamido ?
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 9:19am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

A northerner designed a chevrolet in d U.S.....his name is Jelani Aliyu
I know the guy... He is among the designers hired by Chevi.

2 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by booblacain(m): 9:20am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

Are you not exposed to the influence of western world, their tools and educational system.

You miss my point. Yes, I am indirectly being influenced by them, but not directly like a lot of the examples that could be mentioned in the op's list. Are we going to exclude the ones that schooled, practiced and had their achievements in either the US or Europe? If that is the case then fine.
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Stingman: 9:25am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

I'm not an hausa but I will tell u more......what of Sanusi Lamido ?

Is being an emir an achievement to Nigeria?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Stingman: 9:26am On Feb 22, 2018
booblacain:

You miss my point. Yes, I am indirectly being influenced by them, but not directly like a lot of the examples that could be mentioned in the op's list. Are we going to exclude the ones that schooled, practiced and had their achievements in either the US or Europe? If that is the case then fine.

Where did Jelani practiced?

You people like moving the goal post all the time.

5 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by booblacain(m): 9:26am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

A northerner designed a chevrolet in d U.S.....his name is Jelani Aliyu

Good one, more of these kinds of answers is what we should be getting, not trying to avoid issues in the name of trolling.

6 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:29am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

Lol.....go n read about him
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by booblacain(m): 9:30am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

Where did Jelani practiced?

You people like moving the goal post all the time.

I think your issue here is lack of comprehension. Sort that out, then we can move on.

By the way, what do you mean by you people?

2 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:35am On Feb 22, 2018
remedick:
I hereby call on Northerners of this forum, to please come and list at least 20 international achievements by Northerners that put Nigeria on spotlight among nations.

Before you proceed, please leave Dangote out of this.

Areas should be but not limited to

1. Sports (exclude football)

2. Science

3. Tech

4. Education

5. Medicine

6. Entertainment

7. Information Technology

8. Literature

Abdulkareem Baba
Aminu

Aisha Augie-Kuta
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 9:36am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

Abdulkareem Baba
Aminu

Aisha Augie-Kuta
what are they into?
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by genali(m): 9:37am On Feb 22, 2018
Mohammed Barkindo: Appointed as the secretary general of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).

6 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:37am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

Abdulkareem Baba Aminu
Aisha Augie-Kuta
Abdulkareem Baba Aminu (Kaduna, 7 July 1977) is a Nigerian journalist, cartoonist, comicbook artist and retailer, painter, writer, poet and culture critic. Baba Aminu is a commentator on culture. He was one of four judges for KORA Music Awards.[1] Born in Kaduna, Nigeria, on the 7 July 1977, Baba Aminu soon began to scribble and doodle as a child, eventually going on to write an op-ed column for Classique Magazine at age 12, a first in his country till today. Later, while in secondary school, he created 2 weekly cartoon strips for the Saturday and Sunday editions of The Democrat, a national daily. The characters, Bala and Kareema, became popular and were used by Peugeot Automobiles Nigeria to endorse their then- new 306 model. Abdulkareem Baba Aminu is a well-known culture critic, with a large following of people who revere his reviews of music, movies, TV shows and books Baba Aminu went to the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, for a degree in Business Administration, while pursuing a career as a studio painter. He has exhibited in several group shows and one solo. Twelve of his paintings are included in the National Assembly Art Collection in Abuja, Nigeria. During his final year in university, he was employed by Weekly Trust, a major Nigerian newspaper. After a stint as a reporter, he became the Entertainment Editor and eventually the editor of the magazine section of the paper. During that time, he scored many exclusive interviews with both Nigerian and international stars like 2Face Idibia, D'Banj, Bimbo Akintola, Idris Elba, Wesley Snipes and many others. On his approach to work, Baba Aminu told a Nigerian newspaper in an interview: For two years – with the help of the internet and long- distance phone calls - Baba Aminu was also the Special Features Editor of Komikwerks.com, a leading U.S-based publisher of both webcomics and regular books.[2] Baba Aminu was part of a Federal Government Monitoring Team in Togo, during that country’s controversial 2005 elections, where he “faced death many times trying to escape back to Nigeria after the elections turned violent.” The resulting travelogue, called ‘Escape from Togo’ was published May 2005. For his investigative journalism work, Baba Aminu was nominated for ‘Journalist of the Year’ at the 2006 edition of the Future Awards Nigeria. The following year, he was nominated again and he won.[3] Baba Aminu was Acting Editor of the Abuja, Nigeria-based influential Weekly Trust newspaper for over two years, from late 2008 and was made substantive Editor in July 2010, until recently being promoted to Creative Editor overseeing all Media Trust publications. Baba Aminu was a writer on the BBC-produced ‘Wetin Dey,’ the number one TV show in Nigeria while it ran for two seasons. The production saw him team up with notable young Nigerian movie directors like Mak 'Kusare, Kenneth Gyang and Seke Somolu. As a result of a very good professional and personal relationship, 'Kusare was tapped by Y!Magazine to write about Baba Aminu in the publication's annual 'Freedom Issue' in 2010 in which the director likened the writer to "a younger, more hip and Nigerian version of Aaron Sorkin." The magazine also added Baba Aminu to its annual list of '50 Young People Who Will Change Nigeria.' Notable TV appearances by Baba Aminu include a November 2012 episode of Close-Up, a movie industry variety TV show running on M-NET's Africa Magic channel where he was interviewed by host Keppy Ekpenyong Bassey. Baba Aminu's blog, titled Abdulkareem's Shelf-Top (shelf-top..com) runs movie reviews as well as pop culture-related news. He was also the co-owner of Planet Comics, Nigeria’s first comic book store.[4] The store, however, has been closed due to both owners' busy schedules.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:39am On Feb 22, 2018
Aisha Augie-Kuta (born 11 April 1980) is a Nigerian photographer and filmmaker based in Abuja.[1][2] She is a conservative Muslim and Hausa–Fulani from Argungu local government in northern Nigeria.[3] She won the award for Creative Artist of the year at the 2011 The Future Awards.[citation needed] She currently works as the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor of Kebbi State, Nigeria on New Media.[4][5] Biography Born Aisha Adamu Augie in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria,[1] Augie-Kuta is the daughter of the late Senator Adamu Baba Augie (politician/broadcaster), and Justice Amina Adamu Augie (JSC). Aisha became interested in photography when her father gave her a camera at a young age. Augie-Kuta received a bachelor's degree in Mass Communication from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and is studying for an MSc in Media and communication at the Pan African University, Lagos (Now Pan Atlantic University).[1] She is married with three children.[3] Augie-Kuta has certificates in digital filmmaking from the New York Film Academy and curating contemporary art exhibitions from the Chelsea College of Arts, London, UK.[citation needed] Augie-Kuta became an Associate for the Nigeria Leadership Initiative (NLI) in May 2011. She is also the vice- president of Women in Film and Television in Nigeria (Wiftin) the West African chapter of the US-based network. She co-founded the Photowagon, a Nigerian photography collective, in 2009.[6] In 2010, Augie-Kuta was included, along with 50 other Nigerian women, in a book and exhibition for the nation’s 50@50 celebrations supported by the Women for Change Initiative.[3] In 2014, Augie-Kuta held her first solo photographic exhibition, entitled Alternative Evil.[7] She has made contributions toward girl child/youth development and nation building.[citation needed] She has been a frequent facilitator at the annual gathering of photographers, Nigeria Photography Expo & Conference; a panelist and speaker at various events; and has spoken at TEDx events in Nigeria.[citation needed] Augie-Kuta was sworn-in as a UNICEF High Level Women Advocate on Education with a focus on girls and young women.[8]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 9:39am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

Lol.....go n read about him
Oga, this thread is not for local achievements... I am talking international recognitions.

At the Olympics in Atlanta 96, China Ajunwa won good number of Gold for Nigeria. She is now in the police force.

That is what I am talking about.

In the IT, there are numerous achievements recorded by Southerners, especially the Yorubas.

I can't type much now.

6 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by QuotaSystem: 9:41am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

How many tier 1 banks are ownd by the norrtherners, who pride themselevs with 19 states and huge land mass?

First of all, practically all banks in the country are owned by the public i.e shareholders, therefore none can be said to be owned by a single individual...an individual can only have majority shareholding. However before recapitalisation which made most banks go public, Bank of the North (now Unity bank), Habib Bank (Keystone Bank) and Gamji Bank are some of the banks indigenous to the north. Post-recapitalisation, Jaiz Bank is the most prominent northern-founded bank.

10 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by genali(m): 9:44am On Feb 22, 2018
Amina and Isa Odidi founded intellipharmaceutics. Check the company and see wonders

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:44am On Feb 22, 2018
remedick:
Oga, this thread is not for local achievements... I am talking international recognitions.

At the Olympics in Barcelona 92, China Ajunwa won good number of Gold for Nigeria. She is now in the police force.

That is what I am talking about.

In the IT, there are numerous achievements recorded by Southerners, especially the Yorubas.

I can't type much now.

Chioma Ajunwa didnt win any gold @Barcelona......she won a gold at atlanta 96

7 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by oliver47: 9:46am On Feb 22, 2018
At this blog article, you will wind slots of information about yahoo spy apps that someone could use to fetch your secret information. Be careful
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 9:49am On Feb 22, 2018
quickberry:

Chioma Ajunwa didnt win any gold @Barcelona......she won a gold at atlanta 96
yeah, thanks for the correction.
Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018
Attahiru Jega ent was named Early life and academic career Jega was born on 11 January 1957 in Jega, Kebbi State. He attended Sabon Gari Town Primary School, Jega between 1963 and 1969 and proceeded to Government Secondary School, Birnin Kebbi and then was admitted into The Ahmadu Bello University Zaria's Bayero University College, Kano in 1974, graduating in 1979 with a Second Class Upper Division BSc degree in Political Science. He worked as a teaching assistant at Bayero University, then won a fellowship at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois in the United States (1981–1984) where he earned a PhD in Political Sciences. He returned to the Political Science Department in Bayero University in 1984 as a lecturer.[3] Other appointments included visiting Senior Research Fellow at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Lagos (March 1992 – March 1993), visiting Research Fellow, Department of Political Science, University of Stockholm, Sweden (1994), Deputy Vice-chancellor (Academic), Bayero University (1995–1996) and director, Centre for Democratic Research and Training, Bayero University (2000–2004). Jega was appointed Vice-Chancellor of Bayero University in 2005.[3] He is currently a member of the International Elections Advisory Council.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Stingman: 9:54am On Feb 22, 2018
booblacain:

I think your issue here is lack of comprehension. Sort that out, then we can move on.

By the way, what do you mean by you people?

"Are we going to exclude the ones that schooled, practiced and had their achievements in either the US or Europe? If that is the case then fine" booblacain

..and I asked where Jelani practiced..which is US...So want are you drooling about comprehension?

1 Like

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by quickberry(m): 9:54am On Feb 22, 2018
Ibrahim Khalil Umar is a Nigerian scientist and university administrator. He was Vice-Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria from 1979 to 1986.[1] He holds a B. Sc. in physics and mathematics from Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria, a M. Sc. in physics from Northern Illinois University, USA and a Ph. D. (1974) in physics at the University of East Anglia, United Kingdom.[2] In 1976 he became the first Nigerian academic in physics to teach at Bayero University. In 1978 he served on the national constitutional assembly that drafted the Constitution of the 2nd Republic. Between 1994 and 1997, Umar served as Sole Administrator of the Federal University of Technology, Minna . He represented Nigeria at the Executive Assembly of the World Energy Council from 1990. He was a member of the Nigerian delegation to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) General Conference from 1989 and was appointed Director- General of the Energy Commission of Nigeria in 1989. He served as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the IAEA for 2000-2001.[2] In 2004 he was the Director of the Centre for Energy Research and Training, where the first Nigerian research nuclear reactor is located.[3] In 2007, he was on the international advisory committee for the international workshop on Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development in Africa, held at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by QuotaSystem: 10:06am On Feb 22, 2018
booblacain:

Good one, more of these kinds of answers is what we should be getting, not trying to avoid issues in the name of trolling.

Are you suggesting you did not see Jelani Aliyu in my initial response alongside Amina Mohammed who is second in command at the UN?

Were the contributions acknowledged? That's the inherent bias on this thread I was alluding to.

Yes I will not feed any trolls.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by QuotaSystem: 10:11am On Feb 22, 2018
Stingman:

No, but being World Banker of the Year, FORBES International Person of the year, and making the TIME magazine 100 most distinguished personalities of the year definitely is an international achievement worthy of recognition.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 22, 2018
LMAO

I think it is funny that the Northerners on this thread are somewhat struggling to roll out names of their achievers. cheesy

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by fabre4: 10:30am On Feb 22, 2018
QuotaSystem:

Dangote is not a gift but he is single-handedly building the largest single train oil refinery and petrochemical plant in the world? A refinery that will supply and exceed Nigeria's total daily petroleum requirement and even have more left for export which will earn Nigeria foreign exchange and strengthen the Naira?

If that is not a gift, then kindly state your achievements on a similar scale for comparison.

Ever heard of the word monopoly? And its effect on smaller rival businesses... I don't have time to start going into details but ask other cement producers what they go through while dangote is given a free hand by the government and incase you dont know dangote used to make his cement scarce in those days just to increase the price...

As for the refinery i cant say much cause its not yet running and how you see that as an achievement I don't know. I dont talk based on sentiment, I talk based on experience and facts... Just know that for you to be the richest man for years without competition even after losses, then you ain't playing a fair game

2 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by uckennety(m): 10:38am On Feb 22, 2018
QuotaSystem:
This OP is clearly obsessed with the North smiley.

Two days ago he asked what plan the North had for Nigeria (assuming it had none), by the time he was provided with a bulletproof roadmap to progress (despite failing to acknowledge the failures that southern leadership recorded in the 14 years it was in power since 1999), he ran away from the thread without acknowledging the roadmap, only to cough up this new one.

To confirm his prejudice, he has now asked northerners not to mention Aliko Dangote who is Nigerias gift to the black race and one of its biggest exports and sources of pride - a Fulani entrepreneur par excellence and richest black man alive, greatest industrialist in Africa that develops countries with solid infrastructure instead of powdered drugs. His insistence on excluding Dangote clearly proves that he is not genuinely curious but just seeks an avenue to bash the north in order to air out his frustration.

Even though we have inventors like Jelani Aliyu (Chevrolet Volt electric car), world leaders like Amina Mohammed (Dep. UN Secretary General), the world renowned colourful Hausa architecture among others, indulging the OP further will only reinforce his bigoted tendency to open another senseless prejudiced thread on his crazed obsession - the great people of northern Nigeria.

Dangote didn't make his money on fair competition rather he was allowed to monopolize cement and sugar and other necessary imports

At the detriment of other business men!

Dangote is the reason sugar and salt are expensive for the common man

So don't mention Dangote he is just an example of how the Nigerian govt sabotage the economy to favour a northern!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 10:48am On Feb 22, 2018
Y0ruba:
LMAO

I think it is funny that the Northerners on this thread are somewhat struggling to roll out names of their achievers. cheesy
my brother, you can see that for yourself. Struggling so forking hard.

I ask for 20, they are not even 10 yet and the 10 gan no even meet my spec... But I am being lenient. So far so good, only Dangote meets the spec...

I had to do this so that we can move away from the Yoruba vs Igbo fight and in order to make them see the bigger picture for once.

But you will see them feasting on the fight between Yorubas and Igbos.

It is sad really.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by remedick: 10:52am On Feb 22, 2018
If you can't mention 20 international achievement that Northerners have recorded to the astonishment of the entire world, holding them spell bound, please and please... Stop taking the rest of the country for granted. Show some respect when policies are being designed to move the country forward...

15 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 22, 2018
remedick:
my brother, you can see that for yourself. Struggling so forking hard.

I ask for 20, they are not even 10 yet and the 10 gan no even meet my spec... But I am being lenient. So far so good, only Dangote meets the spec...

I had to do this so that we can move away from the Yoruba vs Igbo fight and in order to make them see the bigger picture for once.

But you will see them feasting on the fight between Yorubas and Igbos.

It is sad really.

It is quite funny to say the least.

I wonder why they’re not mentioning people like this great man.

Professor Iya Abubakar was the only Nigerian appointed as a Professor in the department of Mathematics, ABU, Zaria, at the age of 28 in 1963. A first class graduate of Mathematics at the University of Ibadan, he is the first Northerner to earn a PhD in any field when he earned it at the University of Cambridge, UK.

He became Head of Department, Mathematics and Computer Science, ABU, Zaria, at age 32 (a record in the Nigerian University system), second indigenous Vice Chancellor of ABU, Zaria, at age 40 and retired from academics at age 44. #HistoryVille

7 Likes

Re: Northerners, What Are Your International Achievements For Nigeria? by QuotaSystem: 11:31am On Feb 22, 2018
uckennety:

Dangote didn't make his money on fair competition rather he was allowed to monopolize cement and sugar and other necessary imports

At the detriment of other business men!

Dangote is the reason sugar and salt are expensive for the common man

So don't mention Dangote he is just an example of how the Nigerian govt sabotage the economy to favour a northern!

fabre4:

Ever heard of the word monopoly? And its effect on smaller rival businesses... I don't have time to start going into details but ask other cement producers what they go through while dangote is given a free hand by the government and incase you dont know dangote used to make his cement scarce in those days just to increase the price...

As for the refinery i cant say much cause its not yet running and how you see that as an achievement I don't know. I dont talk based on sentiment, I talk based on experience and facts... Just know that for you to be the richest man for years without competition even after losses, then you ain't playing a fair game

A lot of you just throw the word "monopoly" around without properly understanding what it entails.

Every businessman operating in a capitalist economy aspires to gain as much market share as possible so as to maximize returns, in order to do this, he deploys various strategies all derived from his business environment. One of the tools used is a PESTEL analysis which analyses the political, economic, social, technological, environmental and legal environments to see where one can gain competitive advantages which they can use to achieve his objective of maximizing market share.

A monopoly would arise from the effective deployment of such strategies developed, in a market where other players are unable to compete due to the lack or insufficiency of the identified advantage - for example - Dangote aligns with practically any government in power so that he gains competitive advantages in the political environment, which come in the form of favorable policies, waivers, concessions etc. which enable him to dominate the industry/market to the point that other players are relegated or forced out. This is not in anyway wrong in the world of business, it is capitalism at its finest and it is the same across the world. Microsoft were so savage in this sense that anti-trust laws had to be enacted to protect other software companies. If you think Dangote's advantages are due to his ethnicity and not sheer brilliance and tact, how come he is replicating his success in several other African countries with various governments?

Therefore neither Dangote nor the government is doing anything wrong because what they have is a mutually beneficial strategic relationship. Dangote is simply a brilliant businessman that consistently outplays his competition.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Certificate Forgery: Fresh Suit Filed Against Adeleke / President Kagame Has Arrived In Abuja, Nigeria For June 12 / Military Operations Already Yielding Results – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.