Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:27 PM

Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 (17663 Views)

Insecurity Getting Worse Under Buhari - Goodluck Jonathan At Fasoranti's Home / 'we Stand By Nigeria' - Transparency International, Praise EFCC Chair, Magu / ‘corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Built2last: 12:02am On Feb 22, 2018
Corruption is getting worse in Nigeria, according to the latest corruption perception index (CPI) released by Transparency International (TI) on Wednesday.

While the country scored 27/100 and was ranked 136th in 2016, the latest CPI scores Nigeria 28/100 but with a rank of No. 148 out of 180 countries surveyed — a significant 12 places below where it was the previous year.

This will come as a blow to the President Muhammadu Buhari administration who came into office on the strength of his anti-corruption credential.

Although the administration has put many suspects on trial and seized assets of politicians and government officials, it has also been accused of condoning corrupt practices by top government officials.

The index, which ranks 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption in the opinion of experts and business people, uses a scale of 0 to 100, where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 is very clean, according to TI.

NIGERIA NOW MORE CORRUPT THAN KENYA

An analysis by TheCable shows that Kenya, which was rated more corrupt than Nigeria in 2016, has now overtaken the west African country, climbing to 143 from 145.

Other sub Saharan African countries ranked higher than Nigeria are Botswana — whose joint 34 rank is the best in Africa — as well as Rwanda (joint 48) and Nambia (joint 53).

Nigeria is ranked 148 along with Guinea and Comoros.

In 2015, Nigeria scored 26/100 and was ranked 136 — although only 168 countries and territories were surveyed then.

New Zealand maintains the No. 1 rank with a score of 89/100, Denmark No. 2 with 88, while Finland, Norway and Switzerland are joint No. 3 with 85.

‘CORRUPTION FIGHT IN NIGERIA STALLED’

Meanwhile, the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC), the national contact of TI, says it is “seriously worried” about the new but unfavorable trend in the fight against corruption in the country, as buttressed in the newly published CPI.

“On the African continent, Nigeria ranks 32nd position in Africa out of 52 assessed countries in 2017. While Botswana leads the continent with the record of competent and largely corruption-free public administration, Nigeria hopelessly falls behind with 27 points. In West Africa, Nigeria is the second worst country out of 17 countries leaving only Guinea Bissau behind,” CISLAC said in a statement released on Wednesday evening.

“This fresh setback in the fight against corruption confirms that grand-corruption, political corruption, nepotism, favoritism and bribery persist in Nigeria at all levels. It is CISLAC’s view that the negative perception is mainly a consequence of the inability to combat grand corruption and astronomical plundering of public coffers costing the Nigerian tax payers around 25% of annual GDP. Since the current administration has come to power on the anti-corruption ticket, no significant politically exposed person has been duly sentenced on anti-corruption charges,” it added.

https://www.thecable.ng/just-corruption-getting-worse-nigeria-transparency-international-releases-2017-index

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 22, 2018
If they could pull off the Chibok scam to get into power, what do you expect? sad

#PatientlyWaitingFor2019.

Scandinavian countries though wink

119 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Built2last: 12:21am On Feb 22, 2018
Lalasticlala must have something to say

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by OKDnigeria: 12:28am On Feb 22, 2018
Yet APC apologists and buharists will always boast of how Buhari has decimated corruption in Nigeria.
But people like us have always known that the so-called anti corruption war is a farce.

Chai! The only achievement Buhari deludes himself with. TI has now busted it!

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by nototribalist: 6:15am On Feb 22, 2018
Buhari is a thief and a pretender.

105 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by nairavsdollars(f): 9:46am On Feb 22, 2018
And to imagine our president is the anti-corruption leader in Africa...mtshew

Hope Lai Mohammed wont say Transparency International is being sponsored by the opposition

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Chiedu4Trump: 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
BUHARI IS THE MOST CORRUPT PRESIDENT EVER

100 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Anthony478(m): 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
Posterity will tell

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by tommykiwi(m): 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
And dis guy said he is fighting kporuption.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by yebzman: 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
Ofcuse this is not News to any right thinking Nigerian.
APC is the biggest SCAM ever.... Negative Change.
Just waiting for them to come and Blame the Negative report on the Past Government (As Usual).
#Back to Daura 2019

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by chidynks: 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
corruption happens to be d birth name of this administration...!! scams everywhere!!

16 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Originality007: 9:47am On Feb 22, 2018
h
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Paschal001: 9:48am On Feb 22, 2018
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by eTECTIVe(m): 9:48am On Feb 22, 2018
No ooo... Dis is not corruption but kworuption. Zombies and e-diots will tell U What we are seeing is corruption fighting back. D govt is redefining corruption . What is ongoing is a combination of corruption, robbery, thievery, and all sorts of financial crime.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by yeyeboi(m): 9:49am On Feb 22, 2018
Ok
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Paperwhite(m): 9:49am On Feb 22, 2018
Buhari cum APC, ndi sai baba zombies, BMC, Lai Muhammed,Femi Adeshina,Garba Shehu,Laurretta Onuoche over to unu.

9 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Firefire(m): 9:49am On Feb 22, 2018
According to TI, corruption is getting worse in Nigeria under Mohomodu Buhary and the individual claim to be phyting kworuption.

kworupt gonment

14 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by grbgrb4(m): 9:49am On Feb 22, 2018
They don't know.
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Badboiz(m): 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
Lol... Make I no talk
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by melvinjames: 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
Fantastically corrupt Buhari.

15 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by AreaFada2: 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
Lol.

Just wait. They will soon blame GEJ now. cheesy grin

12 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by rxmusa(m): 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
DASUKIGATE!
"The reason why my own thumb will never vote for PDP again"

With humility and profound respect i write this, the rationale behind this write-up is to exercise my freedom of speech and expression, and also to urge my fellow countrymen to be more conscious in exercising their franchise.
In the fast years, Our dear country Nigeria had been battling with insurgency, the Boko haram menace (conspiracy as some people called it.). We have seen how Soldiers were deployed in large numbers to the war front without proper arms and ammunitions, this result in mass burial of brave and gallant soldiers. The morale of our gallant soldiers was shaken at that time, the dignity and pride of the Nigerian army seems to be lost at that time, the North-Eastern part of the counrty was in chaos and turmoil, there was break down of law and order.
The ruling party at that the time was the PDP.
The president at that time was Gooluck Jonathan Ebele Azikwe. A huge sum of money was approved for the purchased of arms to help tackle the boko haram menace.

Lo and behold!! Before our own eyes the money was diverted to fund the PDP 2015 General Election. This is clearly inhumane. Shortly after PDP lost the 2015 Election to opppsition, we begin to hear shocking revelation about how the money meant for procurement of arms was diverted to fund the PDP campaigns, thanks to Muhammadu buhari's administration anti-corruption war.

The ruling party sent our young, brave and gallant soldiers to the battlefield to die, and without shame they jubilate and share the public money with there political jamboree while our soldiers are dying on the war front.

All this was done by the PDP and under the watch of the president, the ruling party; PDP.
Therefore, i'll not forgive myself if i ever vote for PDP again in my life. I hereby call on my fellow sane countrymen to look at history and be more conscious in excercising their franchise.

To my fellow comrades that our opinion and political affiliation differs, i hope you'll endeavor to understand my views and opinion.
To my fellow countrymen and compatriots, this is my own view and opinion, and i hope you will reason very well before you make your own.
To my brothers and the good people that i have the privilege to know, who are contesting for various seats under the PDP flatform, i'm very sorry!! But my own thumb will never vote PDP again. I hope u'll understand and respect my opinion.

Thanks y'all.
#myopinion #ispeakfree #politics #onenigeria #betternigeria #truth

1 Like

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by BIGDADDY000(m): 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
before nko?

1 Like

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Sonoyom(m): 9:50am On Feb 22, 2018
Buhari is now Synonymous with Kwaruption

12 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by MisterGrace: 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018
What a blow

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Eazi1(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018
yes ooo....monkey dey swallow 7om

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by henrixx(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018
Sai buhari....now the new style is using animals to steal money..

Buhari must catch the monkey and the snake

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by kurt09(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018
IPOB news
Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by sirequity(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2018

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by achiever12: 9:52am On Feb 22, 2018
Deji17, have you now seen the errors of your ways? Desire to support your slave master up north doesn't have to rob you of senses

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by Emusan(m): 9:52am On Feb 22, 2018
GloryIsaac:

#PatientlyWaitingFor2019.
And what will you do in 2019?

1 Like

Re: Corruption Getting Worse In Nigeria’ — Transparency International Releases 2017 by contigiency(m): 9:52am On Feb 22, 2018
I don't believe this report. What is their yardstick? Let them state funds being stashed abroad as was the case. Or even in Nigeria can they say they have traced funds and assets being diverted by public officials, yes there is still corruption but Government has approached the fight vigorously contraly to the norms in the past.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ninth National Assembly To Get 15 Ex-governors As Senators / Nyerere: Igbo Better Treated Under Buhari Government Than 16 Years Of PDP / Twin Bomb Blast Hit Adamawa Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.