Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,408 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:00 PM

Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death (25658 Views)

Man Flogs Lady Who Visited Him At His Apartment, Throws Her Out. Photos / Principal Flogs Corps Member In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Teacher Flogs Student To Death In Zamfara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:35am On Feb 22, 2018
The family of Queendaline Ekezie, a 15-year-old pupil of Army Day Secondary School, Obinze, Owerri, Imo State, are inconsolable after two soldiers in the school allegedly snuffed life out of her during a rigorous punishment.

The soldiers were reported to have asked her to frogmarch after she arrived at school late on Thursday.

The victim, who became exhausted after repeating theexercise several times, was said to have collapsed.

She was reportedly rushed to an army hospital where she died.

Her father, Hyginus, on hearing the news, passed out and was rushed to a hospital in the community for treatment.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Queendaline, who was in Junior Secondary School 3, was with a colleague, Delight Aguocha, a JSS 2 pupil, when the incident happened.

Aguocha told our correspondent that the rigour of the punishment killed her friend.

She said, “On that day, we had set out at 7am. We waited for a motorcycle to take us to school till it was 8am. When we became frustrated, we decided to board a commercial cab. But the driver did not leave the motor park until the car was filled with passengers.

“When we got to school at 9am, we met three sets of late comers on the ground. Two soldiers were asking each set to do frogmarch to a particular distance after which they picked their bags and entered their classes.

“When it was our turn, we were about reaching the finishing line when they said we were not doing it right and we should start again. After we repeated it, we went to pick our school bags, but one of the soldiers said he was still not satisfied.

“I completed the punishment the third time and I picked my bag and left. I suddenly discovered that my friend was not with me. When I returned to the place, I saw her crying. She started vomiting the food she ate that morning. She was saying, ‘my back, my chest.’ The soldiers were just staring at us.”

She added that while the 15-year-old groaned with pain, a teacher who was just arriving in the school, observed her and asked if she had been sick before the time.

Aguocha said she insisted that her friend was healthy, adding that the school principal, who also later arrived, joined in examining her.

The victim, who could no longer walk, was reportedly carried into the principal’s car en route to the army hospital.

The friend said Queendaline was given an injection and later put on a drip.

“After they put on the drip, she started vomiting blood. Blood was spurting out of her nostrils, mouth and ears. I called the teacher to inform her and she alerted a nurse who said her condition had worsened,” she added.

The victim’s sister, Immaculate, a Senior Secondary School 3 pupil in the school, said her sister was not given adequate medical attention which contributed to her death.

She said, “On that Thursday, she left for school before me. But because she had a delay, I got to school earlier.

“I was called around 10am that she was in the hospital. They didn’t put her on oxygen and the drip had stopped flowing. When I saw her, she was vomiting blood and shouting. She suddenly became still and the nurse asked us to leave. They announced that she was dead.”

Immaculate said her sister’s dream of becoming a lawyer and fighting for human rights had been destroyed, adding that the soldiers should be held responsible.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the remains of the victim were deposited in the Federal Medical Centre mortuary, Owerri.

Our correspondent was told that the news of the victim’s death shook her hometown in Umuoso Mgbuisii, in the Ohaji/Egbema LGA of Imo State.

It was learnt that the deceased was the second of five children.

Her mother, Applonia, was too distraught to speak with our correspondent.

But the brother, Okechukwu, said the family wanted Queendaline buried and the family compensated.

The Chairman of the Ohaji/Egbema LGA, Ebenezer Amadi, said he was “deeply saddened” by the death because the victim was his uncle’s daughter.

He said the community was awaiting the report of the autopsy to determine its next line of action.

He said, “The soldiers came to meet the family for a meeting, but the meeting could not hold because the girl’s father fainted out of shock. From what we heard, she was being punished for the first time when she slumped and died. So, I cannot make any categorical statement until we see the result of the autopsy.”

The 82 Division’s spokesman and Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, said it would be premature to comment on the incident as the Imo State Ministry of Education had planned to issue a statement on it on Thursday (today).

In a related development, a teacher at Government Day Secondary School, Sankalawa, in the Bungudu LGA of Zamfara has allegedly flogged a student to death.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the incident was revealed on Wednesday by the Deputy Speaker of the state House of Assembly Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar-Gummi.

The deputy speaker, who spoke under Matters of Urgent Public Importance during the Assembly’s sitting in Gusau, said the House had received several reports on the issue.

According to him, another incident at Government Female Day Secondary School, Kwatarkwashi, led to the injury of a student in the school after the vice principal allegedly subjected her to heavy punishment.

Gummi said, “These problems, apart from discouraging our children from acquiring education, also revealed the poor attitude to work by teachers in this state.”

The Speaker, Alhaji Sanusi Rikiji, described the actions of the teachers as unfortunate and vowed that the Assembly would not allow the matter to pass.

“It is part of our responsibilities to ensure effective security and good learning atmosphere for our children for their future development, therefore, we cannot allow teachers to continue harassing our children from schools,” he said

https://punchng.com/soldiers-frogmarch-pupil-to-death-for-lateness-as-zamfara-teacher-flogs-another-to-death/
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2018
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by midolian(m): 11:40am On Feb 22, 2018
In situations like this, the best justice to be served is a death penalty through the same way the victim died.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:41am On Feb 22, 2018
midolian:
In situations like this, the best justice to be served is a death penalty through the same way the deceased died.

True sha. But, not in Nigeria. cry

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Luckylife(m): 11:42am On Feb 22, 2018
This is painful ! may God give the griefing parents the fortitude to bear this preventable lost . Soldiers are to protect citizens from external attacks not belittling themselves by punishing students or doing civilian tasks. They training are slave like and very demanding.

12 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by PointZerom: 11:43am On Feb 22, 2018
When you ask those soldiers now to show their SSCE certificate they'll claim that it is with the military. I am sure they're from this region.

House

Animals

Using

Seat of

Authority.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Luckylife(m): 11:51am On Feb 22, 2018
midolian:
In situations like this, the best justice to be served is a death penalty through the same way the victim died.
I understand your emotion but this is not predetermined murder and killing the soldier will not solve or prevent future deaths but sending soldiers back to their post and duties is the solution. Funny you frog match may not kill the soldier as you judged.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by PointZerom: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2018
Useless and wicked soldiers from the NOT, must you kill her for refusing your advances?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by PointZerom: 11:53am On Feb 22, 2018
Luckylife:

I understand your emotion but this is not predetermined murder and killing the soldier will not solve or prevent future deaths but sending soldiers back to their post and duties is the solution. Funny you frog match may not kill the soldier as you judged.

Why won't the soldiers be killed. Why should they punish her to death?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by FarahAideed: 11:53am On Feb 22, 2018
That's why when the manager of a new swanky bar waterside bunny camp invited me to come try out their facility with my friends on Fridays , I told him I will not come spend my hard earned money in a barrack filled with ill diciplined Nigerian soldier who can take offence when the bill hits 100k and they start feeling insecure to the point of frog matching you for nothing ...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by niyisky: 12:03pm On Feb 22, 2018
I still remember one staff sergeant Okoro beat the hell out me when I registered for waec in that school many years ago. I was already in futo then but needed one or two subjects to complete my o' level. The Okoro idiot got embittered that his girlfriend who was a student is getting very close to me. Nah so the idiot wan kill me trowey for my people. I was lucky to have a major as a backup then.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Kalapizim(m): 12:04pm On Feb 22, 2018
So sad, but you can't also fault the soldiers for administering corporal punishment. last I checked frog jump is still not an illegal punishment by the ministry of education.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:18pm On Feb 22, 2018
Kalapizim:
So sad, but you can't also fault the soldiers for administering corporal punishment. last I checked frog jump is still not an illegal punishment by the ministry of education.

cry

6 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by InfiniteLoopx: 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2018
Very useless country. Imagine frog jumping a Japanese kid for coming late to school.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Kalapizim(m): 12:22pm On Feb 22, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

cry
state your facts if you have a contrary opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:27pm On Feb 22, 2018
InfiniteLoopx:
Very useless country. Imagine frog jumping a Japanese kid for coming late to school.

Frog jumping a Japanese kid? Where? Please cheesy
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by madridguy(m): 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
Soldiers again

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
madridguy:
Soldiers again

Yes! cry
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by madridguy(m): 12:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
I blame the school authority.

BrainnewsNg:

Yes! cry

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Paperwhite(m): 12:31pm On Feb 22, 2018
Zoo army doing what they know best. undecided

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
Paperwhite:
Zoo army doing what they know best. undecided

Where? Which one?? tongue
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by CaptainStephen(m): 12:50pm On Feb 22, 2018
Sorry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:52pm On Feb 22, 2018
CaptainStephen:
Sorry

Who? cry
Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by yungpowers(m): 12:58pm On Feb 22, 2018
Jeeeez This nation is a ZOOOOO

4 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by CaptainStephen(m): 1:00pm On Feb 22, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

Who? cry
To the little girl na. I don't think its the hunching that killed her.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Nobody: 1:03pm On Feb 22, 2018
angry

Welcome to Zoogeria where lawlessness abounds..

The painful part is nothing will still be done to curtail the excesses of our security operatives.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Fadiga24(m): 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2018
PointZerom:
When you ask those soldiers now to show their SSCE certificate they'll claim that it is with the military. I am sure they're from this region.

House

Animals

Using

Seat of

Authority.

Don't start a tribal war here this is an unfortunate situation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Eazi1(m): 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2018
flog to death so what now what is are punishment plz dn't spare her oo

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2018

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Laple0541(m): 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2018
That is what happens in most militarily overseen schools in Nija, those drunk soldiers mostly forget the pupils are children and not officers yet. I wish this serve as an eye opener.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Frogmarch Pupil To Death In Imo; Zamfara Teacher Flogs Student To Death by Yusfunoble(m): 1:07pm On Feb 22, 2018
angry

OP which kind double combo of bad news be this?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Troops Secure Abuja-Kaduna Train Trapped By Terrorists / Thug Sent To Attack Politician In Gboko, Benue State Apprehended By Youths (pics / Day Old Baby Found In A Dustbin In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.