Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal (8906 Views)

Commercial Bus Throttle Cable Tied To The Pedal In Apapa, Lagos State. PHOTOS / This Super Strong Russian Camel Pulled A Stuck Lada SUV Out Of The Snow / Fit-Car PPV: The World's First Pedal-Powered Car (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Automotive1(m): 3:46am On Feb 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YRdU5xQU_w

Cars are getting safer all the time. With antilock brakes, automatic parking, backup cameras, airbags, radar collision detection, you'd almost think nothing could go wrong while you're driving.

But what if something fails like your car won't stop accelerating?There's a traffic light ahead. Or a stopped car. Or you need to slow down for a turn.Your gas pedal is stuck ,your brake pedal is useless and the car races on the highway at a speed of 120mph .What Would You Do ?

A)use the emergency brake

B)jam the car into neutral

C)Turn off the engine

I have two words for you -- don't panic and stay calm

A stuck accelerator is an electrical or mechanical failure that could occur in any vehicle.
When you find yourself in such situation, first check to make sure it isn't just a stuck accelerator pedal, where the pedal went down but became mechanically jammed and wouldn't come back up.

In that case, wedge your right foot under the pedal to pull it back up and hit the brake with your left foot to slow back down.Pumping the brake can interfere with the vehicle's power brake vacuum assist.

Even if the accelerator isn't stuck, put the car in NEUTRAL and apply firm, continuous pressure to the brake pedal to slow the car down.If the car has a manual transmission, remember to depress the clutch to shift gears.

If for some reason shifting into NEUTRAL doesn't work, turn the engine off.(This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.)

(In a Toyota with an engine button, this may require holding the button down for three seconds before it will respond.)

If you use a key ignition , don't pull the key out when you turn off the engine so that the steering wheel doesn't lock.

Smart throttle solutions
Some new vehicles come with "smart throttle" technology, which reduces the possibility of unintended accelerations caused by mechanical failures.

These computer-based systems recognize when both the brake and accelerator are being depressed and tell the engine to give precedence to braking and ignore the accelerator.

It's scary to think about being involved in something like this, but it's worth it to take the time now to commit these steps to memory.

Feel free to add other ways that has worked for you or a particular car model

Source https://autojosh.com/quick-steps-handle-stuck-accelerator-pedal/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Narldon: 6:52am On Feb 23, 2018
Cool

4 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Aldebaran(m): 6:54am On Feb 23, 2018
Nice info...

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by haryourdayG(m): 6:57am On Feb 23, 2018
Thank you. Really helpful

2 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 23, 2018
easier said than done!!!
no mortal will be calm and relaxed when his foot controls are not properly functioning especial on the high way....... you just apply the Nigerian style by saying "Jesus take the wheel"

7 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 23, 2018
Very educative

2 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by cinoedhunter: 7:01am On Feb 23, 2018
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Oblitz(m): 7:02am On Feb 23, 2018
very helpful

check my siggy

2 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Timoleon(m): 7:05am On Feb 23, 2018
praiseneofingz:
easier said than done!!!
no mortal will be calm and relaxed when his foot controls are not properly functioning especial on the high way....... you just apply the Nigerian style by saying "Jesus take the wheel"

in most cases, this is the real life version.

5 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by OmoOshodi(m): 7:05am On Feb 23, 2018
Hope the vehicle on 120 won't tumble if put in neutral or all the above mentioned method suddenly,.... Op no kill person o

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Chivasex: 7:07am On Feb 23, 2018
People stuck accelerator is a result of old age please change the car period
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Burgerlomo: 7:10am On Feb 23, 2018
Thank you
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 23, 2018
Timoleon:

in most cases, this is the real life version.
Abi nau
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Samanza89: 7:22am On Feb 23, 2018
Funny enough I experienced this last week, two things went wrong at the same time.

1. I couldn't change the gear.
2. My throttle was just staring at me, it was totally stuck. What I did was to put d car in neutral while applying the brake, and it kept rolling until I took it off the road.

PS: I don't think is wise turning off the car while in motion, it could be dangerous, just my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by linearity: 7:29am On Feb 23, 2018
When una dey post videos like these, always include:

***Not applicable on Nigeria roads***

Not applicable on 9ja roads....a pot hole will more likely stop the vehicle or make to crash or make it to somersault long before your neutral gears will bring it to a stop.

In Nigeria roads, your odds of survival is better, when you apply the break, as you don’t know the depth of the next pot hole in front of you.

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by bravolad(m): 7:42am On Feb 23, 2018
It will be a hard nut to crack on the Nigerian roads riddled with portholes, speed bumps, indisciplined drivers who can’t maintain a lane & those who stay on the speed lane and defy all warnings to leave the lane for a speeding car behind, poorly designed roads, careless pedestrians etc.

We could clearly see the police car overtake the suv to clear road upfront after the driver called 911. Is this achievable in Nigeria? Certainly no. But until such a time when we elect & appoint people in strategic positions based on merit & not on ethno-religious & political affiliations.

However, it would be vital to commit all the points to memory should this happens to anyone.

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Muzikluva(m): 7:44am On Feb 23, 2018
Well you saying hit on the brakes is very wrong...if you at a cery high speed and your throttle gets stuck please do not slam the brakes,its dangerous. You should gradually apply the brakes while decelerating.

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Iko5000: 8:19am On Feb 23, 2018
'This will not cause loss of steering or braking control'

Depends on the car ,please don't assume.
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by cyborg123(m): 8:38am On Feb 23, 2018
I've experienced this before. It was caused by a throttle return spring that removed in motion.

The car just went to full throttle as I approached a roundabout. Luckily, the road was not as busy as it usually is at that time. I pressed the brake pedal as the car accelerates rapidly on, the car failed to stop but was just vibrating as I tried moving towards the shoulder of the road. I put the gear in neutral and the brake was able to stop the car as the engine roared loudly. I thereafter turned off the engine and corrected the fault.

It was a scary experience.

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by ifiokbenzy(m): 9:45am On Feb 23, 2018
I appreciate your write-up but don't forget that a lot of cars in Nigeria are full-autos such that if you perform some of the semi-autos control can lead to disastrous consequences. For instance, Never turn off your Japanese or Korean automobile when you observe a stuck accelerator, as that will lock the steering wheel which is even worst.
For an Automatic transmission, If you can shift gears to neutral "N" apply hand brake slowly that is when you are on a flat road; if your pull the handbrake at once, your car will drift or skid which can throw you into the incoming traffic but for a manual which most people don't like just clutch and shift from high gear to low gear, release the clutch pedal don't accelerate, engine will lose traction and jerk
If you are descending a hill and observed that the accelarator is stuck don't shift gear to neutral, because the car (Auto or manual transmission) will run faster and be more difficult to control, just put your right foot UNDER the accelerator pedal and (for manual don't clutch during this) brake as appropriate while you observe your engine rev is dropping down to 1 or 1.5 for sum cars.
Please don't panic even if your brake fails, try as much as possible to steer the car to safety and don't tap the accelerator

3 Likes

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by jmichael259(m): 9:46am On Feb 23, 2018
OmoOshodi:
Hope the vehicle on 120 won't tumble if put in neutral or all the above mentioned method suddenly,.... Op no kill person o

Neutral means disengaging the gear your car will shout but will not shake or stumble. The scary thing will be accidentally puting it in another gear instead of neutral! Like going from drive to park or reverse OR going from gear 5 to 1 or reverse in top speed! just say ur last amen
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by newslifeop: 10:00am On Feb 23, 2018
Ok
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by thewritingtodo(m): 10:09am On Feb 23, 2018
praiseneofingz:
easier said than done!!!

Lol...buh seriously, this method works for me everytime..#thesupernaturalrealm

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by vertueptime: 10:33am On Feb 23, 2018
OmoOshodi:

No
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by vertueptime: 10:36am On Feb 23, 2018
Samanza89:
Funny enough I experienced this last week, two things went wrong at the same time.

1. I couldn't change the gear.
2. My throttle was just staring at me, it was totally stuck. What I did was to put d car in neutral while applying the brake, and it kept rolling until I took it off the road.

PS: I don't think is wise turning off the car while in motion, it could be dangerous, just my opinion.

Yes turning d car off means power steering will off nd u willmost certainly almost die,d only tym u shld off d engine is if d clutch has failed nd d gear is also stuck
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by jmichael259(m): 11:01am On Feb 23, 2018
ifiokbenzy:
I appreciate your write-up but don't forget that a lot of cars in Nigeria are full-autos such that if you perform some of the semi-autos control can lead to disastrous consequences. For instance, Never turn off your Japanese or Korean automobile when you observe a stuck accelerator, as that will lock the steering wheel which is even worst.
For an Automatic transmission, If you can shift gears to neutral "N" apply hand brake slowly that is when you are on a flat road; if your pull the handbrake at once, your car will drift or skid which can throw you into the incoming traffic but for a manual which most people don't like just clutch and shift from high gear to low gear, release the clutch pedal don't accelerate, engine will lose traction and jerk
If you are descending a hill and observed that the accelarator is stuck don't shift gear to neutral, because the car (Auto or manual transmission) will run faster and be more difficult to control, just put your right foot UNDER the accelerator pedal and (for manual don't clutch during this) brake as appropriate while you observe your engine rev is dropping down to 1 or 1.5 for sum cars.
Please don't panic even if your brake fails, try as much as possible to steer the car to safety and don't tap the accelerator

never move from a high gear to a low gear when ur accelerator is stuck and offing ur engine wont lock your steering unless you lock the ignition
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by jmichael259(m): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2018
vertueptime:

Yes turning d car off means power steering will off nd u willmost certainly almost die,d only tym u shld off d engine is if d clutch has failed nd d gear is also stuck

you are afraid to off ur car when your accelerator is stuck which will even leave you with enough push to roll the car but here you are planning on killing the engine when the clutch and gear are stuck which will immediately cause the car to jam and jump?
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by jmichael259(m): 11:13am On Feb 23, 2018
Chivasex:

People stuck accelerator is a result of old age please change the car period

no it can be mechanical or electrical fault. The car in the video is a bmw x5 not old.
Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by projectorz: 11:20am On Feb 23, 2018
Each time I remember mine, it sends cold chills down my spine.

I wanted to wash my car in my area and I told my kids to come down while I park well. As I accelerated, the car just went bunkers, gave a loud oozing sound and sped off. I just immediately put the car on "Park" gear while I pressed the break, then it halted!. Right before me was a NEPA pole and a wall, and somewhere adjacent were my kids. If anything bad had happen, who would believe my story?

I give God all the glory, FORD cars?, not me again!

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 23, 2018
thewritingtodo:

Lol...buh seriously, this method works for me everytime..#thesupernaturalrealm
exactly bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! / CAR Service Manual / Please The Correct Way Of Setting Side View Mirrors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.