Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,694 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads (21289 Views)

5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / 5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by autojosh: 8:42am On Feb 23, 2018
You probably have heard about the EV (Electric Vehicle) auto manufacturer Tesla. Tesla Motors currently dominate the EV market. But, why haven’t we been seeing them on Nigerian Roads? The first Tesla that was spotted on Nigerian road went viral and people that have not had light to charge their phones were wondering what the owner will be going through. Let’s face it, Teslas are not that expensive. I mean the Model 3 starts around the $30,000 mark which makes it on par with Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, there are Teslas of over $100,000 (36m naira), but these are equally affordable in the Nigerian auto market considering the number of G-Wagons and luxury sports cars this country has.

To the main talking point, why haven’t we been seeing Tesla cars on Nigerian roads?

1. Nigeria is a late adopter of new technology

Let’s rewind back to 15 years when mobile technology was becoming the real thing in Nigeria. Owning a SIM card was seen as more valuable than actually owning a mobile phone. SIM cards were effectively more expensive than phones. In real terms, the first mobile phone was manufactured in 1973; it took us 30 years to utilise it in Nigeria, and probably 40 years before it became ubiquitous. How about ‘smartphones’? Apple introduced the original iPhone in 2007. Android was invented in 2008. Yet, all those years Nokia was the thing. In the same vein, Tesla and other electric vehicles would take some time before they get accepted in the Nigerian eco-system.

2. Technical Know-how

When I say technical know-how, I mean on the part of the auto mechanic and the car owner. For any new invention, there’s always a novel approach and possibly a long one. The owners of Tesla may need to drive the car for a few days, weeks, or months to get used to the modus operandi. Additionally, there are no qualified mechanics to service an EV, or they are very few in number which makes purchasing a Tesla an option to rethink.

3. Charging Station

Electric vehicles are different from conventional vehicles in the way they are powered. While you may fuel a normal car at the next filling station, an electric vehicle needs to be charged in a proper electric charging station, and this may take several hours depending on the amount of charge you want. There are obviously no electric charging stations in Nigeria, meaning any Tesla owner would need to have a dedicated charging station at home. Another challenge is, you'll probably need to use your Mikano generator to power the charging station with this epileptic power supply.

Don't forget to like, rate and share. Also tell us what year you think Tesla cars will become popular like pure water in Nigeria.

https://autojosh.com/reasons-havent-seen-tesla-nigerian-roads/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by stefanweeks: 8:46am On Feb 23, 2018
Because we too like toyota

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by opomulero101(m): 9:22am On Feb 23, 2018
Maybe year 2030.
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by bennymark(m): 11:05am On Feb 23, 2018
CAn power bank charge the car

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by roqrules04(m): 11:05am On Feb 23, 2018
Hope the cars no dey shock grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by ariyibiolatunji: 11:06am On Feb 23, 2018
The only reason I know is the erratic, inconsistent, unreliable power supply. QED.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by genius43(m): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2018
Number 3 should come first.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by churchee: 11:07am On Feb 23, 2018
We are waiting for developers like INNOSON to take the lead.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by hopexter(m): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2018
Nigerians go buy am when the second hand/ fairly used ones don come outside smiley

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by amiibaby(f): 11:08am On Feb 23, 2018
Nigeria was once a nation
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by nelsoncool28: 11:09am On Feb 23, 2018
$30,000? That's #10,000,000 that I will use to buy Mercedes GLK 450. I taya for this your post.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by visijo(m): 11:11am On Feb 23, 2018
if people start buying this vehicle, then the que in filling station will drop. But another thing, we dont have constant light in nigeria.. So no need for the car. Maybe when buhari don fulfilled his campaign promises.. By then everything will be cheap and light will be constant. Lets keep on hoping.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by crisycent: 11:11am On Feb 23, 2018
bennymark:

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by thedondada(m): 11:12am On Feb 23, 2018
How

We don't have light to charge phone fully is to charge a car. It cannot work for now.

That's why I have the theory of musk progress and dangote's smartness.

In summary electric vehicles are the future for developing countries. Trains and the like already run on electricity.

Therefore the refining of petroleum products for fuel with drop drastically worldwide in the near future making our oil redundant.

However There s a high possibility that some African nations will not be able to key into electric vehicles due to thier current electricity issues e.g Nigeria and would have to depend on refined fuel.

Enter dangote building the first private refinery in Nigeria. To supply a demand that must be met. Cos importation of fuel will definitely drop like mad.

Wonder no more why he is the richest man in Africa

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by lexyman(m): 11:12am On Feb 23, 2018
that you point no1 is so wrong ... Nigerians like technology and we so much embrace technology in this part of the world ... rearrange your point .

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by smokedfish: 11:14am On Feb 23, 2018
Is just one reason....

No lite!!!
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by sirgalahad26(m): 11:15am On Feb 23, 2018
OP, If u dont know i have a tesla at home but i dey wait for nepa to charge it upgringringrin
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by chuksjuve(m): 11:17am On Feb 23, 2018
Do we really need it in the first place?

Contact us for your landscape and gardening service
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by HeyCorleone(m): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2018
Mr OP sir the main thing is light. No light anywhere. We can't even charge our phones with peace of mind you're talking charging cars.

Plus imagine the cost to set up a private charging station

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Donopsiano(m): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2018
bennymark:

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Raylight2(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2018
my manufacturer is. yet to start working on mine. when he's done, you'll surely see it on our roads. just thinking what state I'll do my first show.
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Whobedatte(m): 11:24am On Feb 23, 2018
lexyman:
that you point no1 is so wrong ... Nigerians like technology and we so much embrace technology in this part of the world ... rearrange your point .
read to assimilate bro
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Futureberry: 11:30am On Feb 23, 2018
nelsoncool28:
$30,000? That's #10,000,000 that I will use to buy Mercedes GLK 450. I taya for this your post.
you will use up to 2 million to buy fuel plus maintenance in a year whereas a Tesla won't take a quarter of that

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Wealth7(m): 11:35am On Feb 23, 2018
Tesla
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by CoolextPhoenix(m): 11:38am On Feb 23, 2018
bennymark:
where dem bring this one come from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Oyewole609: 11:39am On Feb 23, 2018
bennymark:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by akigbemaru: 11:40am On Feb 23, 2018
autojosh:
You probably have heard about the EV (Electric Vehicle) auto manufacturer Tesla. Tesla Motors currently dominate the EV market. But, why haven’t we been seeing them on Nigerian Roads? The first Tesla that was spotted on Nigerian road went viral and people that have not had light to charge their phones were wondering what the owner will be going through. Let’s face it, Teslas are not that expensive. I mean the Model 3 starts around the $30,000 mark which makes it on par with Toyotas and Hondas. Yes, there are Teslas of over $100,000 (36m naira), but these are equally affordable in the Nigerian auto market considering the number of G-Wagons and luxury sports cars this country has.

To the main talking point, why haven’t we been seeing Tesla cars on Nigerian roads?

1. Nigeria is a late adopter of new technology

Let’s rewind back to 15 years when mobile technology was becoming the real thing in Nigeria. Owning a SIM card was seen as more valuable than actually owning a mobile phone. SIM cards were effectively more expensive than phones. In real terms, the first mobile phone was manufactured in 1973; it took us 30 years to utilise it in Nigeria, and probably 40 years before it became ubiquitous. How about ‘smartphones’? Apple introduced the original iPhone in 2007. Android was invented in 2008. Yet, all those years Nokia was the thing. In the same vein, Tesla and other electric vehicles would take some time before they get accepted in the Nigerian eco-system.

2. Technical Know-how

When I say technical know-how, I mean on the part of the auto mechanic and the car owner. For any new invention, there’s always a novel approach and possibly a long one. The owners of Tesla may need to drive the car for a few days, weeks, or months to get used to the modus operandi. Additionally, there are no qualified mechanics to service an EV, or they are very few in number which makes purchasing a Tesla an option to rethink.

3. Charging Station

Electric vehicles are different from conventional vehicles in the way they are powered. While you may fuel a normal car at the next filling station, an electric vehicle needs to be charged in a proper electric charging station, and this may take several hours depending on the amount of charge you want. There are obviously no electric charging stations in Nigeria, meaning any Tesla owner would need to have a dedicated charging station at home. Another challenge is, you'll probably need to use your Mikano generator to power the charging station with this epileptic power supply.

Don't forget to like, rate and share. Also tell us what year you think Tesla cars will become popular like pure water in Nigeria.

https://autojosh.com/reasons-havent-seen-tesla-nigerian-roads/

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Oyewole609: 11:43am On Feb 23, 2018
I foreseen this Technology might probably take Nigeria back to Economic recession due to low demand for petrol
Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:45am On Feb 23, 2018
bennymark:

No the car can charge power bank

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Alejoas(m): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2018
No power to charge

Check my mini solution on my signature

Re: 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads by Patrickjunior(m): 11:48am On Feb 23, 2018
it will be better since we wont be having issues with fuel scarcity again

(1) (2) (Reply)

World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA) / Thermostat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.