Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:56 AM

Yoruba Cuisines To Try - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Yoruba Cuisines To Try (20858 Views)

Delicious Nigerian Cuisines By Kaydeli. / Ibibio Cuisines To Try / 6 Mouth-watering European Cuisines To Enjoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by QueenBec: 12:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
I was even thinking palm oil soup is a type of Yoruba delicacy.. Hence the term ofe mmanu.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 12:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
Lazy Op, come and finish what you started oo! Every Yoruba subgroup has its own delicacies, so let me see if I can help out.

Ekuru, Iyan(pounded yam)and efo elegusi belong to Ondo and Ekiti

Eba, plain Egusi soup, Gari Soaking, Fufu, Eberipo elewe and Ikokore are Ijebu's. Egbo is food I grew up thinking is Ijebu's but now I can see it's eaten a lot in Ibadan too.

Godo/Eberipo(cocoyam) and obe didin for Remo

Lafu (white amala) Ewedu All Star & Eko, Ofada and Ayamase for Egba

Amala isu, Ewedu and Gbegiri for Oyo

Sokoyoto, Ila All Star, Eko and Eba for Awori.

Asaro, Moin Moin, Adalu, Egbo, Ewa-Agoyin. Apon, Gizdodo are all Yoruba.

Kwara and Kogi have Agbado and Rice meal, Oka is another word for Agbado but I don't think that's what it's called.

And of course Yoruba put ‘J’ in W-ollof rice.

Then comes the street food

Agbon nuggets
Guguru & Epa
Asun
Boli
Kokoro
Langbe(boiled corn)
Dodo
Puff puff
Bunz
Shin-Shin
Akara
Igbekere
Dodo ikire
Dundu
Ojojo
Robo(spicy Egusi snack)
Agbado yiyan
Ekuru
Adun
Jogi(roasted moin-moin)
Yilata squad(Igbin,Beef, Ponmo & Eja)

There are more but I can't remember their names, like fried batter made from fresh corn and sugar.

I think Yoruba have the most street food.

Argh! I'm hungry now!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Fatherofdragons: 12:46pm On Feb 28, 2018
jraushub:
The best way to most people’s heart is via good food and entertainment. This is one thing the Yoruba tribe are very good at doing. Yorubas have a number of mouthwatering and finger licking meals that will leave you demanding for more. So, when you find yourself in any part of South West Nigeria where the Yorubas are populated, Jumia Food, Nigeria’s No 1 food ordering platform shares some cuisine to try.

[s]1. Pounded yam and egusi soup

Pounded yam is mostly eaten with egusi (melon soup). Pounded yam is made by boiling yam unsalted and pounding it when it becomes soft. Ondo and Ekiti people are known to be fond of pounded yam[/s]
when did that become a yorrobber cuisine? I don't know why these ppl do exactly what they accuse others of,bunch of hypocrites.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by tivta(m): 12:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
seunny4lif:

Add more

Pepper
Pepper

Pepper
lol
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by IkeBuya: 12:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ewa Aganyin I believe is Fon or Ewe and not Yoruba
Pounded yam and egusi is pan Nigerian, just like Jollof rice tongue

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Fatherofdragons: 12:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
jraushub:
The best way to most people’s heart is via good food and entertainment. This is one thing the Yoruba tribe are very good at doing. Yorubas have a number of mouthwatering and finger licking meals that will leave you demanding for more. So, when you find yourself in any part of South West Nigeria where the Yorubas are populated, Jumia Food, Nigeria’s No 1 food ordering platform shares some cuisine to try.

[s]1. Pounded yam and egusi soup

Pounded yam is mostly eaten with egusi (melon soup). Pounded yam is made by boiling yam unsalted and pounding it when it becomes soft. Ondo and Ekiti people are known to be fond of pounded yam[/s]

2. Ewa aganyin

Ewa aganyin is made up of cooked beans and pepper sauce. It is a delicious beans dish, well-known for its softness and tasty sauce. You can eat Ewa Aganyin with bread to savour and appreciate the meal.

3. Adalu

Adalu is a combination of beans and corn, pepper and palm oil cooked together with seasoning and spices. It is quite delicious.

4. Moin Moin

Moin Moin is a Nigerian staple food which is very rich in protein. It is a cooked bean pudding made from a combination of grounded peeled beans, pepper, and onions. It can be eaten with rice, pap and bread.

5. Eba and efo riro

Eba serves as an alternative for pounded yam. People who do not want to go through the stress of pounding yam prefer eating Eba. Eba is usually taken with Efo Riro (Vegetable soup) which makes the meal more delicious and nutritious.

6. Amala, ewedu and gbegiri soup

Amala is made from yam into flour and Ewedu is a leaf blended into watery soup. This delicacy is a local dish of the Oyo state people. Amala is better enjoyed alongside Ewedu and Gbegiri.

http://www.opinions.ng/yoruba-cuisines-try/

what is wrong with this yorrobber ppl sef? u see this ppl do exactly what they accuse others of, bunch of hypocrites.

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by iamdannyfc(m): 12:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
sod09:
ewa aguyin is not from yoruba tribe na, abi egun is now yourba
they are

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Shakushaku1(m): 12:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
Asun and big stout

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Burgerlomo: 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
pweshboi:
I think the ijebu's eat IKOKORE... Hope I got it right though

Asun won re cool

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Awoofawo(m): 12:59pm On Feb 28, 2018
sod09:
ewa aguyin is not from yoruba tribe na, abi egun is now yourba
Ewa aganyin is actually from Togo......Thus most of the Togolese that sold the ewa had link to Yoruba and Yoruba names is very comman among them...some actually claimed Ile Ife as their Origin! grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:00pm On Feb 28, 2018
Bolo, are you saying Ondo and Ekiti are no longer Yoruba? No other people in the world eat pounded yam like these two Yoruba groups. They eat it everyday, sometimes more than once daily.
Fatherofdragons:
when did that become a yorrobber cuisine? I don't know why these ppl do exactly what they accuse others of,bunch of hypocrites.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2018
The name is Yoruba but the style is Togo.
Awoofawo:
Ewa aganyin is actually from Togo......Thus most of the Togolese that sold the ewa had link to Yoruba and Yoruba names is very comman among them...some actually claimed Ile Ife as their Origin! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Awoofawo(m): 1:07pm On Feb 28, 2018
ycat:
The name is Yoruba but the style is Togo.
All folks hawking Ewa Aganyin are from Togo...I actually lived with some...they are nice friendly people.....Sometimes very difficult to know that they are not Yoruba because they blend well with the culture and like I said most bear Yoruba names..... Their girl can be something o, if you get close to them, them go spoil you finish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Soknown: 1:08pm On Feb 28, 2018
Varieties of Efo riro, - Ewuro ( bitter leaf).
Efo tete funfun,
Efo tete pupa,
Efo woorowo,
Efo sokoyokoto,
Efo Ebolo.
Efo Elegede,
Efo odu,
Efo efinrin,
All traditional Yoruba vegs that could be used for Efo riro. I wish I have pictures of the listed items.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:09pm On Feb 28, 2018
Egusi is Yoruba's first before others burrowed it, that's why we have more than 7 ways to add Egusi to our food, not just in soup like the rest of you.
martineverest:
when egusi become Yoruba delicacy?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2018
Again, the name is Yoruba and the style is Togo.
Awoofawo:
All folks hawking Ewa Aganyin are from Togo...I actually lived with some...they are nice friendly people.....Sometimes very difficult to know that they are not Yoruba because they blend well with the culture and like I said most bear Yoruba names..... Their girl can be something o, if you get close to them, them go spoil you finish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Jackipapa: 1:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
buffalowings4:
And no pictures of the said delectable meals

Op
Warn yaself

Where are the pics Seun?
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
They are actually pan African now, but that doesn't make them not to have origin.

Only Yoruba call Beans Ewa in Africa. Jollof rice is Senegalese and Egusi, Moin Moin, Akara, Eba are all Yoruba's first before it became other's.
IkeBuya:
Ewa Aganyin I believe is Fon or Ewe and not Yoruba
Pounded yam and egusi is pan Nigerian, just like Jollof rice tongue

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by 0ubenji(m): 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2018
jraushub:

1. Pounded yam and egusi soup

Pounded yam is mostly eaten with egusi (melon soup). Pounded yam is made by boiling yam unsalted and pounding it when it becomes soft. Ondo and Ekiti people are known to be fond of pounded yam.

2. Ewa aganyin

Ewa aganyin is made up of cooked beans and pepper sauce. It is a delicious beans dish, well-known for its softness and tasty sauce. You can eat Ewa Aganyin with bread to savour and appreciate the meal.

3. Adalu

Adalu is a combination of beans and corn, pepper and palm oil cooked together with seasoning and spices. It is quite delicious.

4. Moin Moin

Moin Moin is a Nigerian staple food which is very rich in protein. It is a cooked bean pudding made from a combination of grounded peeled beans, pepper, and onions. It can be eaten with rice, pap and bread.

5. Eba and efo riro

Eba serves as an alternative for pounded yam. People who do not want to go through the stress of pounding yam prefer eating Eba. Eba is usually taken with Efo Riro (Vegetable soup) which makes the meal more delicious and nutritious.

6. Amala, ewedu and gbegiri soup

Amala is made from yam into flour and Ewedu is a leaf blended into watery soup. This delicacy is a local dish of the Oyo state people. Amala is better enjoyed alongside Ewedu and Gbegiri.

http://www.opinions.ng/yoruba-cuisines-try/

Originally..ewa agayin is neither a yoruba nor Nigerian cuisine..it was merely adopted from Outside Nigeria.

Coined from Ewa, a Yoruba word meaning beans and Agoyin, a name that was used by Nigerians to describe people from Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic, Ewa Agoyin is simply a word used to describe how people from these regions make their beans meal. It is, however, more peculiar to the Togolese and Cotonou people.

Ewa Agoyin was introduced into the Nigerians’ diet by the migrating Agoyin people, who came to Nigeria as early as far back as the sixties. It became more popular in the 80s’, until its fame and craving for it began to dissipate in the mid-nineties. One of the special things about Ewa Agoin was the way it cut across all the social strata or economic classes in the Lagos metropolis.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
What about the one that spreads like pumpkin or is it melon leaves? My g-granny used to stir-fried it for me right out of her garden back then when I was little with just oil, pepper dried fish and salt, but still the most delicious veges ever.
Soknown:
Varieties of Efo riro, - Ewuro ( bitter leaf).
Efo tete funfun,
Efo tete pupa,
Efo woorowo,
Efo sokoyokoto,
Efo Ebolo.
Efo Elegede,
Efo odu,
Efo efinrin,
All traditional Yoruba vegs that could be used for Efo riro. I wish I have pictures of the listed items.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by sokera: 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
BafanaBafana:
Pounded yam, egusi and eba are not yoruba delicacies.

One thing I admire yorubas for is the way they hype everything about themselves.
you must be high on something , number 1 food in Ekiti and Ondo State is Pounded yam ... and number 1 food for Ogun State people is Eba ...

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Antoeni(m): 1:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
Outside 1 & 4,the rest re Rubbish and poisonous the ,Afonjas no get Food ,if u want to eat Good and very Nutritious Food ,come to south south. Or southeast,and your lives will never remain the same

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by sokera: 1:39pm On Feb 28, 2018
Fatherofdragons:

I advise you to make your research , no tribe I. nigeria eat pounded yam more than Ondo and Ekiti people

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by sokera: 1:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
ycat:
Lazy Op, come and finish what you started oo! Every Yoruba subgroup has its own delicacies, so let me see if I can help out.

Pounded yam and efo elegusi belong to Ondo and Ekiti

Eba, plain Egusi soup, Fufu, Eberipo elewe and Ikokore are Ijebu's

Godo/Eberipo and stew for Remo

Amala, Ewedu and Gbegiri for Oyo

Moin Moin, Adalu and the rest for all.

Argh! I'm hungry now!
you have done a good job ... God bless you ...

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by sokera: 1:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
ycat:

Pounded yam and efo elegusi belong to Ondo and Ekiti

Eba, plain Egusi soup, Fufu, Eberipo elewe and Ikokore are Ijebu's

Godo/Eberipo and stew for Remo

Amala, Ewedu and Gbegiri for Oyo

Moin Moin, Adalu and the rest for all.

Argh! I'm hungry now!
I discover that most Igbo people don’t know this and they think the only food for Yoruba is Amala ...

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by baysol: 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
samsam69:
Yoruba and pepper... If their pepper enter your eyes you may Go mad.
Only ibos go get peper for eye because by nature den get YUM YUM eye and greedy as they come.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ceeceeuwa: 2:16pm On Feb 28, 2018
What is the essence of a food thread without pictures?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by buffalowings4: 2:27pm On Feb 28, 2018
0ubenji:
Originally..ewa agayin is neither a yoruba nor Nigerian cuisine..it was merely adopted from Outside Nigeria.

Coined from Ewa, a Yoruba word meaning beans and Agoyin, a name that was used by Nigerians to describe people from Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic, Ewa Agoyin is simply a word used to describe how people from these regions make their beans meal. It is, however, more peculiar to the Togolese and Cotonou people.

Ewa Agoyin was introduced into the Nigerians’ diet by the migrating Agoyin people, who came to Nigeria as early as far back as the sixties. It became more popular in the 80s’, until its fame and craving for it began to dissipate in the mid-nineties. One of the special things about Ewa Agoin was the way it cut across all the social strata or economic classes in the Lagos metropolis.

I learnt something today

You must like book toomush

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by validstar1: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Coitus:
Ofe mmanụ
grin
Coitus:
Ofe mmanụ
Jealousy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Icon79(m): 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Anyone who brings the words "Yoruba and Cuisine" together needs to have his/her head examined.

That's all I gotta say.

O pari

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by egbe12(m): 3:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
BafanaBafana:
Pounded yam, egusi and eba are not yoruba delicacies.

One thing I admire yorubas for is the way they hype everything about themselves.
The only Yoruba food on this list is amala
All others are general naija delicacies.
The akoko Edo people of Edo state also eat pounded yam a lot

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ImaIma1(f): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2018
BafanaBafana:

Lol.. We have appointed you to worry on our behalf while we try to enjoy whatever it is to enjoy in the country.

wink Thank you for speaking my mind.

We cannot drink water and drop cup again without someone mentioning Buhari or the country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Consumers, Traders Lament As Tomato, Pepper Scarcity Hits Markets / Recipe For Chin-chin And Puff-puff / Thai Cook Fries Chicken With His BARE Hands, Doesn’t Get Burned!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.