Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,714 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! (5796 Views)

South Africa Plans To Empower Black Farmers With New Land Reform Process / Nigerian Professor, Temitope Oriola Appointed Advisor On Police Reform In Canada / South Africa: Debate Begins On Land Reform In Parliament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2018
South Africa's ruling party, the ANC as headed by Cyril Rhamaposa, has chosen to amend the Constitution and implement a policy of "expropriation without compensation" so that land may redistributed from the White minority to the Black majority.

Recently Ramaphosa addressed parliament in Cape Town and made clear that his priority is to heal the divisions and injustice of the past, going all the way back to the original European colonists in the 1600s taking land from the indigenous tribes. Ramaphosa called this “original sin”, and stated that he wants to see “the return of the land to the people from whom it was taken… to heal the divisions of the past.”

What are your opinions on this issue?

***************NB******************

This is an extremely contentious issue - thus I ask that commentators keep arguments and responses respectful, and focus on the "idea" and not on the "person" advancing the idea. Substantiate your arguments with facts as much as possible.

Racism, Xenophobia and Foul Language will not be tolerated.

2 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
patches689:

Land is not worth dying (or killing for). Its just dirt. We live on a planet full of dirt. SA and the majority seem determined on economic ruin. Fine, they were warned of the consequences, they still want it, let them have it.

There are plenty of African nations that have already learnt this lesson and are keen on doing business - great agricultural opportunities in Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Angola, Uganda, Nigeria and the DRC. Anecdotally, I went to uni with a Zimbo whos family had lost practically everything in the early 2000's - her father made a deal with a provincial governor in Malawi to farm macadamia nuts and by the time I met her (2008) her family was wealthier than they had ever been in Zimbabwe, and by all accounts the locals in Malawi were thrilled to have them there while the government had been very supportive of them.

SA farmers should be looking at making similar deals with other governments - just look at the greatly beneficial relationship former Zimbo farmers have established with the Zambian government. Just 100 farmers increased Zambias maze crop by 70% in one year and during a drought and are now moving onto cash crops, lifting 2,5 million Zambians out of food-insecurity.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/white-farmers-thrive-zambia-years-driven-zimbabwe-171123140704208.html

South African farmers could repeat this success all across Africa, lifting millions out of food shortages, generating huge revenues for sensible African governments (such as Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) and providing jobs to many tens of thousands of low-skill workers currently stuck in the poverty-trap. We could become a key player in Africa's renaissance.

fok hierdie plek, dis tyd om te trek
Well unfortunately its not just land.....Its home, the Boere could of easily just moved further north and continued with their livelihoods through subsistence farming...as they have done for 100 of years before....but instead these handful of farmers stayed and took on the most Powerful empire the world has ever seen at that time.....why? Yes one can argue it was for gold but the vast vast majority of Boer commandos were simple farmers, why would they fight an enemy which they knew they couldn't defeat?

Fact is South Africa itself is so deeply routed in Boer culture, that to move is paramount to losing ones culture and identity, which to be honest to most Boere is worse than death, although there are quite a few exceptions as to those that have already left SA for greener pastures.

quote from the movie Blood Diamond: Colonel Coetzee: "This red earth, it's in our skin. The Shona say the colour comes from all the blood that's been spilled fighting over the land. This is home. You'll never leave Africa."

3 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
Land has to be re-distributed in South-Africa. The policy where only a minority white farmers own upwards of 80% of the land is un-acceptable. White South-Africans need to stop panicking anytime the issue of land comes up, instead a workable solution should be under-taken through sincere dialogue.

You can sell the farm or part of it, and still lease it from who ever purchases the land for your farming business.

5 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Jkay187(m): 2:29pm On Feb 23, 2018
patches689:
South Africa's ruling party, the ANC as headed by Cyril Rhamaposa, has chosen to amend the Constitution and implement a policy of "expropriation without compensation" so that land may redistributed from the White minority to the Black majority.

Recently Ramaphosa addressed parliament in Cape Town and made clear that his priority is to heal the divisions and injustice of the past, going all the way back to the original European colonists in the 1600s taking land from the indigenous tribes. Ramaphosa called this “original sin”, and stated that he wants to see “the return of the land to the people from whom it was taken… to heal the divisions of the past.”

What are your opinions on this issue?

***************NB******************

This is an extremely contentious issue - thus I ask that commentators keep arguments and responses respectful, and focus on the "idea" and not on the "person" advancing the idea. Substantiate your arguments with facts as much as possible.

Racism, Xenophobia and Foul Language will not be tolerated.

Ok to kick start this one off, what other alternatives to land restitution is there besides expropriation without compensation since the latter has failed in SA for the past 2 decades. We all know about ANC incompetence in the land reform process but, this is a process that SA must go through to effectively solve its land issues.

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:
Land has to be re-distributed in South-Africa. The policy where only a minority white farmers own upwards of 80% of the land is un-acceptable. White South-Africans need to stop panicking anytime the issue of land comes up, instead a workable solution should be under-taken through sincere dialogue.

You can sell the farm or part of it, and still lease it from who ever purchases the land for your farming business.
Well that's were you are wrong, since White farmers don't even own close to 80% of the so called land in SA.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Jkay187(m): 2:37pm On Feb 23, 2018
For 2 decades there's been a reluctance on whites to share the land in SA under a policy of compensation. The issue here is the implementation of the new proposed Land Restitution Bill, and what safeguards it will give to property owners and how to ensure food security in SA.

What is troubling here is that whites are being disingenuous when it comes to this issue because CR said there will be consultations between the gov and opposition parties on how the policy will be implemented. This very topic reminds me of the "swart gevaar" propaganda of the NP of yesterday now in full swing by Afriforum and its broederbond fools

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

Ok to kick start this one off, what other alternatives to land restitution is there besides expropriation without compensation since the latter has failed in SA for the past 2 decades. We all know about ANC incompetence in the land reform process but, this is a process that SA must go through to effectively solve its land issues.

Incompetence is the reason land reform hasn't worked in the last 20 years.....nothing else!

If you want a war then Land retribution without compensation is a great place to start, you cant take something someone else has paid and invested there whole life in and give it to someone else simply because his white!! That is literally the definition of stealing.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 23, 2018
jln115:

Well that's were you are wrong, since White farmers don't even own close to 80% of the so called land in SA.
Who owns the vast majority of land in RSA?

Why is it that White South-Africans simply do not want to have a conversation as regards to Land redistribution? You cannot expect this issue to just disappear.

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:
For 2 decades there's been a reluctance on whites to share the land in SA under a policy of compensation. The issue here is the implementation of the new proposed Land Restitution Bill, and what safeguards it will give to property owners and how to ensure food security in SA.

What is troubling here is that whites are being disingenuous when it comes to this issue because CR said there will be consultations between the gov and opposition parties on how the policy will be implemented. This very topic reminds me of the "swart gevaar" propaganda of the NP of yesterday now in full swing by Afriforum and its broederbond fools
Reluctance??By law if there was a successful land claim the owner had to sell his property!! Fact is 90% of land claim applicants chose the money over the land.....what does that tell you??

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:

Why is it that White South-Africans simply do not want to have a conversation as regards to Land redistribution? You cannot expect this issue to just disappear.
So what am i doing now?? Am i not having a conversation with regards to Land reform with you? Was it not a white person that started this thread ??

I never said i was against Land redistribution in fact i support it if implemented fairly and efficiently, but im against taking land from innocent people without compensation simply because they are white!
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Jkay187(m): 2:52pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:

This is what I've been asking for a longtime. Whites own more then 23,9% of SA's land yet blacks own less then 10% according to latest figures.

The issue here is whenever the land question is uttered then issues of Zim, food security and failed land expropriation efforts of the last 10 years come up, not to mention the threats of civil war to scare the masses by white minority supremacy groups like Afriforum and that fool called Steve Hofmeyer.

2 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

This is what I've been asking for a longtime. Whites own more then 23,9% of SA's land yet blacks own less then 10% according to latest figures.

The issue here is whenever the land question is uttered then issues of Zim, food security and failed land expropriation efforts of the last 10 years come up, not to mention the threats of civil war to scare the masses by white minority supremacy groups like Afriforum and that fool called Steve Hofmeyer.
Afriform actually supports Land Redistribution you know!! and the largest owner of land in SA is......you guessed it the Government, which more than 2 thirds are unproductive!
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Jkay187(m): 3:07pm On Feb 23, 2018
jln115:

Reluctance??By law if there was a successful land claim the owner had to sell his property!! Fact is 90% of land claim applicants chose the money over the land.....what does that tell you??

There you just answered your own question. The fact is that there will not be wholesale expropriation without compensation and whites knows this because then it will mean food security will come under threat, even the ANC is aware of this danger to both the people and the economy. The only land under that has and will fall under the restitution policy is the land taken from 1910 and most of your Afriforum guys are aware of this but for political reasons choose to ignore this fact.

There is other factors that some people also want to ignore under the new proposed law is that the issue of land leases that will form part of the proposed Bill.
I think its disingenuous of some people to just through the hole restitution debate out, just because they feel entitled as whites.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 23, 2018
jln115:

So what am i doing now?? Am i not having a conversation with regards to Land reform with you? Was it not a white person that started this thread ??

I never said i was against Land redistribution in fact i support it if implemented fairly and efficiently, but im against taking land from innocent people without compensation simply because they are white!
So for you, what is a fair and efficient land distribution programme? I believe you or your family owns farm(s).
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

There you just answered your own question. The fact is that there will not be wholesale expropriation without compensation and whites knows this because then it will mean food security will come under threat, even the ANC is aware of this danger to both the people and the economy. The only land under that has and will fall under the restitution policy is the land taken from 1910 and most of your Afriforum guys are aware of this but for political reasons choose to ignore this fact.

There is other factors that some people also want to ignore under the new proposed law is that the issue of land leases that will form part of the proposed Bill.
I think its disingenuous of some people to just through the hole restitution debate out, just because they feel entitled as whites.
Ok so the land taken from the Boere by the British?, will that also be redistributed? Or are they to white and to entitled for that?

As I said before how can you morally justify taking the land of innocent(Without compensation)....yes innocent people who for obvious reasons had no idea that the land they bought was taken from some dead person by another dead person 120 years ago?

And who's your afriforum guys??
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:

So for you, what is a fair and efficient land distribution programme? I believe you or your family owns farm(s).
No, no one in my family owns a farm.

Well simply taking a white persons land simply because his white is definitely not fair.

Anyway give me a few minutes to give you a proper detailed answer!!
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Jkay187(m): 3:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
jln115:

Ok so the land taken from the Boere by the British?, will that also be redistributed? Or are they to white and to entitled for that?

As I said before how can you morally justify taking the land of innocent(Without compensation)....yes innocent people who for obvious reasons had no idea that the land they bought was taken from some dead person by another dead person 120 years ago?

And who's your afriforum guys??

This your argument is exactly the reason why SA has not moved an inch on land reform nor equality. Who is the innocent....? Are you talking about those whites who till this day don't afford there workers any rights and refuse to adhere to labor laws. The fact is that the agriculture sector including those companies who own large pieces of land has to come forward and participate in a land redistribution program in order for them to move forward and deal with this issue and find solutions.

The gov and its past incompetence with regards to this land should also start and engage farmers and land owners in order to allay fears of such a policy so so that it may find credibility with investors and guarantee property rights for both black and whites alike.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2018
jln115:

Well unfortunately its not just land.....Its home, the Boere could of easily just moved further north and continued with their livelihoods through subsistence farming...as they have done for 100 of years before....but instead these handful of farmers stayed and took on the most Powerful empire the world has ever seen at that time.....why? Yes one can argue it was for gold but the vast vast majority of Boer commandos were simple farmers, why would they fight an enemy which they knew they couldn't defeat?

Fact is South Africa itself is so deeply routed in Boer culture, that to move is paramount to losing ones culture and identity, which to be honest to most Boere is worse than death, although there are quite a few exceptions as to those that have already left SA for greener pastures.

quote from the movie Blood Diamond: Colonel Coetzee: "This red earth, it's in our skin. The Shona say the colour comes from all the blood that's been spilled fighting over the land. This is home. You'll never leave Africa."

The culture of the Boer is to trek and to time the wilderness.

When faced with british opression in the cape, they packed up and left. Equally, it would be part of their culture to do the same today.

Your ancestors starved and struggled not for a patch of dirt, but for their children and childrens-children to have a better life. To throw that away for some mud and sticks would be a slap in the face.

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by newafricaken254: 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2018
squatters in kenya have being given land only to sell that same land at a throwaway prices,this issue of land reform is going to end up being a disaster for south africa.i remember back in the 80s and 90s most of the bussiness in nairobi central district were own and run by Indians but today through handwork and entrepreneurship black kenyans own and run most the businesses. african politicians rather than encourage their fellow citizen to work hard,they only promise them free things.free houses,jobs,land e.t.c look at Venezuela,the kind of mess it is in,you think china is dumb that they accepted capitalism

4 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

I dont see how you could say "without compensation" and "property rights" in the same sentence.

Expropriation with any other attachment - that is appropriation and compensation would not be such a daunting concern. But the fact that people will have all their property stripped of them for no reason other than the color of their skin and potentially left destitute, of course there is deep concern.

Let me not even mention how we have seen this before - Angola, Mozambique, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2018
From my experience on similar kind of issues not exact but close to same.

1.Any kind of correctional measures based on identification like race tribe ethnicity etc is counter productive , it will never stop .

Eg. If pink versus yellow , pink wins , later pink will start fighting among itself for same resources/doleouts and this will continue. Becz the system which supported pink will support divisive elements within pink . This is a harsh reality and fact.

2.Color based division will lead to -> tribal based division will lead to -> ethnic based division will lead to -> linguistic based division will lead to -> financial based division will lead to -> social division and will continue so on

3.if u give a person a fish , u make him dependent , but if u teach him to fish u make him independent. Without the skill set and interest of concerned individuals to utilize allocated resources, will lead to wastage and unproductivity. It will vary but will be on the higher side compared to no of people who will actually be able to utilize it.getting Ownership of resources is not the cure all.

4.financial heath and structure of a country is a fragile complex interconnected ecosystem. If changed without buffering will sent back the economy by decades.

5.pink say yellow stole from us in the past, in present pink took from yellow , tomorrow yellow will say pink stole from us. 2 wrongs don't make a right. It only perpetuates the wrongs and the miseries.

6.politicians care for none but themselves , the net beneficiary will be them rather than the 2 parties , it pays to keep a dispute lingering rather than solve it , which otherwise will make them redundant.

This my own observation based on kind of similar situation in my country.

And where resource utilisation is concerned Rather than redistribution it should be co-investment/co-participation for mutual benefit and improvement.

There should be guidelines and a robust and fast redressal mechanism to sort out issues at the individual level. At no point must politicians be involved other than the framing of guidelines with common consensus.

But the problem is we r humans , and we will err

3 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:

Well, the issue of "who owns what" is extremely murkey because Government has failed to do proper audits. Not only land use audits but title-deed audits.

The only info we have is that which is peiced together from non-government sources. We do know, however, that Government is the biggest single holder of land in South Africa.

other sources of info:

Landowners who are not white own 26.7% of agricultural ground and control more than 46% of South Africa’s agricultural potential.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/who-owns-sas-land-20171028

"Whites own about 47% of the land by size and Asians and coloured groups about 1% between them. They are seemingly more under-represented when it comes to the size of land and racial ownership than either whites or Africans," Schussler pointed out.
https://www.fin24.com/Economy/kill-dangerous-property-nationalisation-slogans-with-facts-economist-20160222

2 Likes

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

This your argument is exactly the reason why SA has not moved an inch on land reform nor equality. Who is the innocent....? Are you talking about those whites who till this day don't afford there workers any rights and refuse to adhere to labor laws. The fact is that the agriculture sector including those companies who own large pieces of land has to come forward and participate in a land redistribution program in order for them to move forward and deal with this issue and find solutions.

The gov and its past incompetence with regards to this land should also start and engage farmers and land owners in order to allay fears of such a policy so so that it may find credibility with investors and guarantee property rights for both black and whites alike.
So what is my argument?? the fact that i want a FAIR, efficient Land Reform policy that is a win win for all parties involved is why SA hasn't moved forward? Go read both the DA and Afriforum's land reform policies, and tell me why we can't rather implement that?

"Who is the innocent....? Are you talking about those whites who till this day don't afford there workers any rights and refuse to adhere to labor laws" So why would you think I was talking about those whites? So because I appose Land Reform without compensation all of a sudden i support a$$holes that treat there employees like sh1t?? Get real dude! If you want to have a proper discussion at least be mature about it!!

I don't call people who support Land Reform without compensation, white hating racist?? everybody has there opinion and judging by your responses I can see it's about up lifting the poverty stricken majority and not simply about taking land from whites.......why can't you have the same open mindedness, just because a white person like my self doesn't support land redistribution without compensation doesn't mean i want to see Black people continue to live in poverty? in fact its quite the opposite.

I agree 100% with the bolded part!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

Yes, we talk about Zimbabwe because it is the perfect example. We could also talk of Angola, Mozambique, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe and dozens more if need be.

Infact we dont need to cite foreign nations because according the CR17 90% of redistributed farms have failed.

Whats interesting is why in a rapidly urbanizing country we are talking about farm ownership. Furthermore, accoriding to the Banks there are only about 45 000 Commercial farms in South Africa (total) - even if they were all owned by whites, and they were all seized, and they were then cut in half - this entire policy would benefit only 90 000 unemployed... out of 16 million unemployed
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jkay187:

CR17 said before parliament that all land since 1600 will be up for seizure.

Furthermore, you are ignoring the simple fact that people will randomly have their property (all of their wealth) seized from them and left destitute for no reason other than they are of a certain race.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
nemesis4u:

1.Any kind of correctional measures based on identification like race tribe ethnicity etc is counter productive , it will never stop .

Eg. If pink versus yellow , pink wins , later pink will start fighting among itself for same resources/doleouts and this will continue. Becz the system which supported pink will support divisive elements within pink . This is a harsh reality and fact.

2.Color based division will lead to -> tribal based division will lead to -> ethnic based division will lead to -> linguistic based division will lead to -> financial based division will lead to -> social division and will continue so on

3.if u give a person a fish , u make him dependent , but if u teach him to fish u make him independent. Without the skill set and interest of concerned individuals to utilize allocated resources, will lead to wastage and unproductivity. It will vary but will be on the higher side compared to no of people who will actually be able to utilize it.getting Ownership of resources is not the cure all.

4.financial heath and structure of a country is a fragile complex interconnected ecosystem. If changed without buffering will sent back the economy by decades.

5.pink say yellow stole from us in the past, in present pink took from yellow , tomorrow yellow will say pink stole from us. 2 wrongs don't make a right. It only perpetuates the wrongs and the miseries.

6.politicians care for none but themselves , the net beneficiary will be them rather than the 2 parties , it pays to keep a dispute lingering rather than solve it , which otherwise will make them redundant.

And where resource utilisation is concerned Rather than redistribution it should be co-investment/co-participation .

There should be guidelines and a robust and fast redressal mechanism to sort out issues at the individual level. At no point must politicians be involved other than the framing of guidelines with common consensus.

10/10
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2018
Henry240:

1. Audit ALL land

2. Redistribute government held lands

3. Audit title deeds, seize land that is being held without title - then redistribute it

4. Audit land usage - expropriate abandoned/derelict land, payment is made at market value but the sale if forced. Redistribute it.

5. Redistribute land held in tribal trusts, in return Chiefs can either choose to get a yearly state allowance or a lump sum payment at market value.

You just redistributed about 60% of the rural land in South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by patches689: 4:47pm On Feb 23, 2018
nemesis4u:

And where resource utilisation is concerned Rather than redistribution it should be co-investment/co-participation for mutual benefit and improvement.

This guy gets it.
Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 23, 2018
Obviously it's impossible not to talk about race when talking land reform, but can we at least not make racial assumptions with regards to other commentators on this thread!!

@Jkay187 You've already said Patches sounds like a racial bigot, and you basically postulated that i support white people that treat there workers like sh1t simply because i dont support land reform without compensation.

I've read a lot of your posts on other threads and liked a few of them as well, your a smart guy, i know this is a touchy subject and its easy to get frustrated and angry at what's being said, but I guarantee you that Me and Patches are both extremely patriotic and all we want is a prosperous South Africa for ALL SAn just like you, only place we differ is how we are going to get there.

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 23, 2018
patches689:

The culture of the Boer is to trek and to time the wilderness.

When faced with british opression in the cape, they packed up and left. Equally, it would be part of their culture to do the same today.

Your ancestors starved and struggled not for a patch of dirt, but for their children and childrens-children to have a better life. To throw that away for some mud and sticks would be a slap in the face.
Yet only a few decades later when faced with the same British oppression they decided to fight an enemy they could never win? As i said before many try to leave(some do for good),but a lot only to find themselves returning to a even more fvcked up country the left, simply because they can't bare to be anywhere else, My family is the perfect example, lived in Australia for 2 years, lived in the US for 2 years....been all over Asia and Europe yet here we still are in South Sh1thole grin grin

1 Like

Re: Land Reform In South Africa - Discuss! by Centrifude(m): 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
patches689:

lol, people are so happy that Zuma is gone... yet they dont see the writing on the wall.

Sure, Zuma stole from us... but Cyril is going to destroy us. Mark my words.

SA's rainfall is predicted to drop by 40% over the next 25 years. Cyril (either by choice, or because of the party) is going to push forward with expropriation without compensation. 90% of previously transferred farms have failed (completely). Expropriation will also wipe about 133 billion of Rand's of assets from the banking sector (commercial farmers owe huge amounts to the banks) so there wont be any capital left to re-invest in Agriculture. Add it up.

The Zimbabwe analogy is a fallacy, what is coming our way is worse - inconceivably worse. Zimbabwe is a rural country, Zimbabwe has a prosperous neighbor to the South. When their farming sector went belly-up and food scarcity hit, their urban population could simply return to the country side for a subsistence life-style, or head South to RSA. We dont have those options - we are an urbanized country with poor neighbors - you are going to have starving and unemployed masses in the cities, many of which will also be facing water scarcity. Its going to get fvcking nasty fvcking quickly.

Hell, and Im not even going to mention the new mining charter - which seems to want to recreate the same Apartheid sanctions that killed the mining sector (and brought the NP to the negotiation chamber), or the new Minimum Wage act (Treasury estimates it will cause potential job losses* for 45% of primary educated labour, 43% of agricultural labour, 52% of private households, about 40% of all full-time workers, 45% of full-time clothing workers, 82% of full-time workers in the agricultural sector, 87% of full-time domestic workers).

To be honest, the party is over. Im going to stay over-seas for the next decade or so - busy working on getting residency in the US atm. Ill wait it out, and work myself to death in a Corporate hell-scape. But when all the new farms have failed, sail in with a pocket-full of USD and buy a nice big slice of land on the cheap. Use that land to leverage a loan from the bank and then buy up another big slice of land. Then sit on it and wait for the sector to recover and sell it off for a nice profit. Ironically, my great grandfather made a small fortune doing the exact same thing in the aftermath of the Boer war.

Its very risky, but the deep irony of a White fella turning this racist land redistribution strategy into a way to generate a tidy sum of money, while the "beneficiaries" of the redistribution get plunged into generations of suffering is just too juicy to resist. There are safer investments, but fvck me, nothing gets me going like a good dose of JUSTICE.

*that % of jobs will now be "at risk", ie: potentially no longer economically viable.

I'm not sure if you're aware of that fact that once you've obtained the Citizenship of another country you automatically forfeit your South African Citizen, unless you ask for permission to retain your S.A Citizenship before acquiring the new Citizenship, but it's not always guaranteed that you'll be given that permission.

So my reason for raising the issue of citizenship is that, a few years ago a New Law was passed that Foreigners will only be allowed to own only 12 000 hectares of South African land, so since you would most likely have given up your S.A Citizenship, for an American one.. When you come back to S.A you will be considered as a Foreigner, who can only buy two farm houses.

Your plan sounds really great, but the new laws won't be in your favour, like the Law was for your Grand Pappy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senegal Elections: Macky Sall Leads Over Incombent Abdoulaye WADE / Toto: Meet 24-year-old Kenyan Lady Who Is Trending On Twitter / China To Take Over Parts Of Montenegro Over Failed Debt Repayment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.