Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (24615 Views)

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. You’re Killing The Car / Consequences Of Removing A Car Thermostat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 11:55am On Feb 25, 2018
Thermostat is like electronic appliance, while some consume 110v, some consumes 220v.

Thermostat from country like Finland, Germany, Iceland, Canada etc emit more heat because of their region.

A car made by Innoson by all standard must have Thermostat but will not emit equivalent heat to your engine like those countries mentioned so your car will run all smoothly by the absence of the thermostat but may gulp a little more fuel at start pending the engine is warm.

We will all mock Innoson on this forum if he had built a car with no thermostat.

The thing is a 2 way thing about car, maintenance culture and the engine age.

I expect someone to understand this piece.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by smokedfish: 11:58am On Feb 25, 2018
oluwaseunla:
Yes, I know. It should not happen that way, even with thermostat. Something else is wrong, probably the coolant temperature sensor (cts).
only that?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by oluwaseunla(m): 12:15pm On Feb 25, 2018
holocron:

Those places are just dry deserts in temperate latitudes. Dont confuse dry with hot. If you spent a night in those places outside a shelter you will face biting cold of 5 to 10 deg centigrade.
Operative word is temperature. Some of them have temperatures that can be as hot as we have here. They don't remove thermostats during those periods.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by oluwaseunla(m): 12:17pm On Feb 25, 2018
smokedfish:
only that?
That was just a guess. A proper diagnosis will be needed to know what is wrong.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by oluwaseunla(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:
Thermostat is like electronic appliance, while some consume 110v, some consumes 220v.

Thermostat from country like Finland, Germany, Iceland, Canada etc emit more heat because of their region.

A car made by Innoson by all standard must have Thermostat but will not emit equivalent heat to your engine like those countries mentioned so your car will run all smoothly by the absence of the thermostat but may gulp a little more fuel at start pending the engine is warm.

We will all mock Innoson on this forum if he had built a car with no thermostat.

What? Where do you get this from? A thermostat is a completely mechanical device. Temperature rating of a thermostat is dependent on type of engine / engine design. It is completely independent of country of origin.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Lokoyen(m): 12:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
angels09:
Wrong in the absence of a cooling system engineer... please remove the freaking thermostat until you meet one. Don't ruin your car. Thermostats are important no doubt but your engine's life is more important

I was adamant to remove my thermostat until it damaged my engine.

Now I don learn!!! Straight removal!

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Lokoyen(m): 12:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
Onyenna:

But how come the imported cars with thermostat now develope issues here in Nigeria?...

That is the question.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by oluwaseunla(m): 12:33pm On Feb 25, 2018
holocron:

With an ambient temp of 40 deg centigrade, it takes less to no time for an engine to reach 90 deg. So for Nigeria humid and hot climate, thermostat is unnecessary and the fan needs to blow continously to maintain engine at the designed 90 degrees centigrade.

The proof is that cars are running successfully even for a decade without the thermostat and without any engine problem whatsoever.
With highway driving, a car without thermostat may never get to optimal temperature. Cars without thermostat will take too long to get to optimal temperature if they ever get there. No engine without thermostat will do a decade without issues.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Lokoyen(m): 12:34pm On Feb 25, 2018
phayvoursky:
THERMOSTAT KO THERMOMETER NI.

I DON PUSH MOTOR TIRE FOR ROAD UNTIL I REMOVE THAT NONSENSE I HAD PEACE AND SINCE THEN FIRE THE MOTOR GO ANYWHERE; E GO ANSWER YOU.

AS AFRICA DE HOT THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR WON'T KNOW WHEN THE ENGINE GETS HOT?

2O MINUTES OR LESS INTO DRIVING THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE WILL TESTIFY.

GOOD ONE OP BUT HERE NO BE GERMANY.

Same way I followed their nonsense advise on auto section and I ruined my engine.

I learnt d hard way!!! Thermostat ko thermocool ni!

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by hakimi1974(m): 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
holocron:

Those places are just dry deserts in temperate latitudes. Dont confuse dry with hot. If you spent a night in those places outside a shelter you will face biting cold of 5 to 10 deg centigrade.
pray tell, can you please tell me the average midday temp of these places you mentioned?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by ikeyman00(m): 12:57pm On Feb 25, 2018
IN truth removing thermostat is never good or optimal for the engine operation

Therefore for those that remove their thermostat the only way yall can win this argument is to tell us

how many years a car [B] ENGINE
has been driven without thermostat [/b]

-NO SMOKING
-NO OIL SHORTAGE
-NO LEAK

10; 15; 6;

I think that will surely give an insight
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 1:04pm On Feb 25, 2018
Monaco2:
Bros no talk am o, the thermostat of a thing is only good in the western world o.... My car almost got ruined on the highway few months after buying it in 2014 cause of the thermostat n it happened again in 2015 with another car I bought ...it doesn't cost much to remove on both occasions I gave my mechanic 1k each.... According to him Nigeria is too hot to leave thermostat in the vehicle
Lol... Bros first of all, go and read the meaning of thermostat. It is a device that regulates the vehicle engine temperature from getting too hot or too cold and that is why you have a temperature gauge on your dashboard. Every vehicle engine has a normal temperature it works on so thermostat keeps the engine steady on that temperature. If your car is overheating regularly and everything is confirmed OK, them check or replace your thermostat not removing it. If your engine works constantly below average temperature, the engine will be dying slowly.
Innoson cars have thermostats, Peugeot assembled in Kaduna have thermostats. Please guys read, don't listen to mechanic's that didn't go to school.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 1:04pm On Feb 25, 2018
angels09:
Wrong in the absence of a cooling system engineer... please remove the freaking thermostat until you meet one. Don't ruin your car. Thermostats are important no doubt but your engine's life is more important
it is well,
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2018
Lokoyen:

Same way I followed their nonsense advise on auto section and I ruined my engine.

I learnt d hard way!!! Thermostat ko thermocool ni!
Sorry can you share with us what happened and on which type of vehicle.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 1:08pm On Feb 25, 2018
phayvoursky:
THERMOSTAT KO THERMOMETER NI.

I DON PUSH MOTOR TIRE FOR ROAD UNTIL I REMOVE THAT NONSENSE I HAD PEACE AND SINCE THEN FIRE THE MOTOR GO ANYWHERE; E GO ANSWER YOU.

AS AFRICA DE HOT THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR WON'T KNOW WHEN THE ENGINE GETS HOT?

2O MINUTES OR LESS INTO DRIVING THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE WILL TESTIFY.

GOOD ONE OP BUT HERE NO BE GERMANY.
so 9ja hot pass the UAE

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
Lokoyen:

I was adamant to remove my thermostat until it damaged my engine.

Now I don learn!!! Straight removal!
How could a thermostat damage ur Engine, its either smthing else or a stock thermostat which needs changing, I bet ur fan is running direct as well, putting load on ur car Engine
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by hakimi1974(m): 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2018
Onyenna:

But how come the imported cars with thermostat now develope issues here in Nigeria?...
the thing is most car owners are careless and want to tow the easy route their mechos recommend to them. if your car starts to overheat, take it to a competent techy guy, for a comprehensive diagnosis. NEVER, I REPEAT, NEVER take out your thermostat.

2 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:

Sorry but your comparism is wrong. Thermostat and electric current are not the same meaning thermostats don't have anything like output or input voltage.
Thermostat blocks the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine gets warm up to certain temperature level. If you remove thermostat, once you start your engine, coolant starts flowing to radiator then to engine which is bad to the engine. So if your thermostat is bad, it will not automatically open for coolant to flow to the radiator when engine gets warm and that causes over heating. What you should do is to replace once noticed.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by nnamdibig(m): 1:31pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:

God of Elijah
Thermostat don't emit heat. Thermostat is a regulator. It opens at certain temperature for coolants to flow through the engine and closes when the temperature drops. Each Thermostat has a temperature written on it. That's normally the opening temperature and it closes back when the temperature is lower than that.
To know a working Thermostat before paying for it, just drop it in a boiling water. It will open and you see it. If it doesn't it's not good don't buy.

Lots of us here don't even know the function of a Thermostat.......reason why it's blamed for overheating.

2 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 1:33pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:

BROSS BROSS,Just leave this talk for people in the know, thermostat is embeded inside hose or housing with 100% emersion,where u see voltage we no know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2018
nnamdibig:

God of Elijah
Thermostat don't emit heat. Thermostat is a regulator. It opens at certain temperature for coolants to flow through the engine and closes when the temperature drops. Each Thermostat has a temperature written on it. That's normally the opening temperature and it closes back when the temperature is lower than that.
To know a working Thermostat before paying for it, just drop it in a boiling water. It will open and you see it. If it doesn't it's not good don't buy.

Lots of us here don't even know the function of a Thermostat.......reason why it's blamed for overheating.
very soon we will blame Snake for this ahaha
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Lokoyen(m): 1:42pm On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

How could a thermostat damage ur Engine, its either smthing else or a stock thermostat which needs changing, I bet ur fan is running direct as well, putting load on ur car Engine

Fan wasn't running direct. In fact I told d mechanic never to remove d thermostat. I didn't notice the over heating on time until I noticed my oil began to get short, in had to buy oil every 2 weeks. Wen I removed the thermostat it was too late.

I had to rebuild d engine and it's over almost a year now and no issues.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
Lokoyen:

Fan wasn't running direct. In fact I told d mechanic never to remove d thermostat. I didn't notice the over heating on time until I noticed my oil began to get short, in had to buy oil every 2 weeks. Wen I removed the thermostat it was too late.

Was it that your car was overheating for two weeks and you didn't notice or the overheating for a day started causing oil shortage in your engine and you feel thermostat was the cause of the overheating?
Thermostat can be the cause of the overheating if your thermostat was bad. All you needed to do was to replace with a good one not remove.
Secondly any engine that shorts oil has gone bad. What I know excess overheating does it to damage your gasket and worst burn you top cylinder. I've never heard that overheating causes oil shortage to the engine shaa.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 2:15pm On Feb 25, 2018
Lokoyen:

Bro your thermostat was never the problem, in the process of rebuilding ur Engine the problem got solved however your Engine is slowly dieing as no thermostat is working there..Your thermostat is a part that requires changing at least each 100k miles
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by nnamdibig(m): 2:16pm On Feb 25, 2018
Lokoyen:

Thermostat was not the issue with your engine.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:32pm On Feb 25, 2018
Na so so olodos full Nigeria... no wonder snake dey swallow money anyhow

let me educate you, that is, if you will care to listen
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:35pm On Feb 25, 2018
The thermostat is purely a mechanical device .. Theremostats are evrywhere . .

Air conditioning units, refridgerators, irons cars.. so i wonder why only cars are removed.

Take a pressing iron for instance .. after plugging it, the temperature begins to rise depending on the settings e.g. cotton, silk, wool etc

so you can now iron your clothe, but what happens next.

it gets a to set temperature, the thermostat (more precisely, a bi-metallic strip) opens, and cuts the current .. so the iron turns off

and cools down .. when it gets a certain temperature, the strip closes and make the connection again

the iron begins to warm up again . .

Now why don't you all remove the strip from the iron, afterall Naija is already hot .. ?

The iron will not cut off and you will burn you clothes . . .

So the job of the thermostat is to regulate the iron's temperature to prevent you from burning your clothes.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2018
Next fridges and air conditions ...

these too have thermostats .. when you turn on the a/c in yur house or the fridge.. it starts cooling and working . .

when it gets to a certain temperature, the fridge would turn off by itself for say 2 minutes or more . . depending on how cold

my freezers sometimes turns off for 1 hours plus when all th contents in it are already solidly frozen.

This is done to save energy bill . . cos at this point, the freezer or house is already frozen cold.. so no need to keep it on

it turns off.

when the a/c temperature sensor starts to detect the slightly warm air, it comes on again . . same for the freezer.

if you go outside your house, and listen to your compressor, you would notice it.

some a/c have turbo mode though, whcich will keep the compressor turned on forever . .but mehn, you will pay heavy electrical bills
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:40pm On Feb 25, 2018
Now for cars ...

Cars were designed to use thermostats. . anybody that says naija is hot, this that is just plain stupid , and needs to go to school.

Arizona is hotter, Dubai is way hotter than naija ... Texas is very hot too. You don't believe, simple google research will do

Stop watching Africa magic and supersports, and start watchign Discovery Life, Discovery Family, NatGeo Wild etc

2 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:43pm On Feb 25, 2018
A car's cooling system is made up of:

The radiator, the water pump, thermostat, coolant reservoir and hoses; coolant temperature sensor too

. The job of the radiator is to cool the already warm water leaving the engine . . that's why it has fan attached to it.

. the hoses move water in and out of the engine, there are 2 large hoses from the radiator that enter and exit the engine,

one of these hoses houses the thermostat.

the water pump is inside the engine and is driven by the belt as it spins.

the coolant reservoir as you already know is for top-up and a reservoir for extra coolant that might spill out when water expands during heating

2 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2018
ICE (internal combustion engines) are designed to run hot and not cold . . at a particular temperature

some cars around 90 degrees celcius; some 95, some 85;; depending on the make (company)

so what happens when you start your car.

the temperature is at ambient temperature (normal) say 36 therabouts or 37 depending on the weather that day.

once the engine comes on andis working, it starts to get hot cos of the combustion process ..

and the guage starts to rise ..

if you car has not been tampered with, in about 2 minutes the guages gets tot he middle.

the engine gets hotter until it reaches its defined temperature limit, say 90 degrees . .

the ECU can see the temperature because there is a coolant temperature sensor fixed into the engine. .

At this point the thermostat valve will open and allow water in the radiator to flow into the engine.

The water is pushed throughout the engine by the water pump ; it has fins/blades that rotate and push water.

the cold water against the hot engine will make the temperature drop from say 90 to 89, 88, 87, 86 and so

when it gets to say 85 degrees, the thermostat will close.

At this point the ECU will send a command to the fans to spin .. (if the car is stationary or slow) . . the fans on the radiator will spin

and remove the heat from the hot water which came out fo the engine . . that's the job of the radiator + fans.

so by now the water is cold again . . the radiator fan turns off

the car keeps moving, temperature keeps rising . when it gets to 90 degress again

thermostat opens, allow cold water to enter engine to cool it down.

the water pump distributes it round the engine and out into the radiator.

the fans on the radiator come on again and cools down the water, thermostat closes again

and this process is repeated until God's kingdom comes

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2018
makavele:
ICE (internal combustion engines) are designed to run hot and not cold . . at a particular temperature

some cars around 90 degrees celcius; some 95, some 85;; depending on the make (company)

so what happens when you start your car.

the temperature is at ambient temperature (normal) say 36 therabouts or 37 depending on the weather that day.

once the engine comes on andis working, it starts to get hot cos of the combustion process ..

and the guage starts to rise ..

if you car has not been tampered with, in about 2 minutes the guages gets tot he middle.

the engine gets hotter until it reaches its defined temperature limit, say 90 degrees . .

the ECU can see the temperature because there is a coolant temperature sensor fixed into the engine. .

At this point the thermostat valve will open and allow water in the radiator to flow into the engine.

The water is pushed throughout the engine by the water pump ; it has fins/blades that rotate and push water.

the cold water against the hot engine will make the temperature drop from say 90 to 89, 88, 87, 86 and so

when it gets to say 85 degrees, the thermostat will close.

At this point the ECU will send a command to the fans to spin .. (if the car is stationary or slow) . . the fans on the radiator will spin

and remove the heat from the hot water which came out fo the engine . . that's the job of the radiator + fans.

so by now the water is cold again . . the radiator fan turns off

the car keeps moving, temperature keeps rising . when it gets to 90 degress again

thermostat opens, allow cold water to enter engine to cool it down.

the water pump distributes it round the engine and out into the radiator.

the fans on the radiator come on again and cools down the water, thermostat closes again

and this process is repeated until God's kingdom comes

@ the bolded, I was told that was wrong by some guys here, I still maintained it was right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Japanese Vs German Vs American Cars / Take A Look At These Astonishing Car Artistic Colors / Driver And Conductor Feared Dead As Trailer Loaded With Goods Falls In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.