Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? (10454 Views)

How Do You Handle Price Discrepancies Professionally / How Do You Handle A Difficult Boss? / How Do You Handle An Angry Boss Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 11:51am On Feb 25, 2018
I recently got a job which gives me an opportunity to oversee people who are older than me.

Handling people who are older than me has been giving me a lot of issue, as I am a typical yoruba guy with a lot of respect.

But I discover that I find it hard sending somebody who can be my uncle and my dad.

I quickly have pity for people, that's why I can never work in the prison, even if I have a free employment there, because I might one day setting the prisoners free.

Nairalanders, how do you control older people under you to do their job diligently.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by dingbang(m): 11:54am On Feb 25, 2018
Don't be weak.. You are the Boss..

28 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 12:04pm On Feb 25, 2018
dingbang:
Don't be weak.. You are the Boss..

Thanks, I am trying to man up

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by dimexy247(m): 12:45pm On Feb 25, 2018
I handle them by giving them work to do, period.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Ishilove: 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2018
I am the youngest in my section yet I am their head, but that doesn't stop me from putting them in their place when it is time. Respect is mutual so give them their respect as your junior colleagues but know where to draw the line. I too thought I wouldn't be able to control them when I initially started because of their age, but overtime I had to harden myself and do the job I am paid to do. You are there to do a job, not make friends or look at anyone's face.

If they fvck up, you will be held accountable, not them so toughen up and do needful otherwise someone else will do it for you.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by maxwell767(m): 2:25pm On Feb 25, 2018
I understand u, but this is a job, and u are been paid for ur services, u are not paid to respect nor feel pity over ur subjects.....

Be wise men!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by mayowascholar(m): 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2018
Good one
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2018
RESPECT RESPECT RESPECT
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by oyetunder(m): 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2018
Older? It depends on how they behave. we have witnessed kids beating elderly thieves. How do we treat all these elders we have elected to serve us...but are killing us instead?

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by fesla: 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2018
Dont worry,just dey fry Akara for dem

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by xreal: 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2018
with respect.

simple.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by canalily(m): 4:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
They belive they the ones still with experience in this our computer age.

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by EzeJustme(m): 4:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
Listen bros. They are older than you, so i believe they have little understanding that it's the position you found yourself and they have to accept that, make sure you carryout you duty with utmost respect that will earn you more integrity. Don't say you cannot, they have to respect you and your position. Don't make it look as if it's an opportunity for intimidation,
Remember, respect is a reci....... U know the rest.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Barmmyshoes(f): 4:29pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hmmmmm. Like Nike motto ''just do it'' so, forget about the respect and do what is expected of you based on the fact that, this is a workplace and not a family meeting or community gathering because if anything should go wrong or you are not being productive as a result of their ineptitude, they won't be there to answer for you. Just do it. Won tun, wo si. Like yoruba used to say.

Remember when an older lady came for shoemaking training in my workshop. Time was going and she wasn't learning anything due to over pampering due to respect accorded to her. Parade had to be changed and respect thrashed in the bin and the real work started.

Today, she is happy and am happy as well.

The end result is the koko. If the end result is such that the respect needs to be thrashed for the good end result to come. Just do it.

Check link below for ongoing discounted sales of my perms and sandals

www.nairaland.com/4357664/quality-dope-stylish-perm-sandals/1

#ItsYourShoemakerGirl #ProudlyAFemaleShoemaker #WeDoTheBest #QualityIsGuaranteed

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by ipobarecriminals: 4:29pm On Feb 25, 2018
cool respect. begat respect. .
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by sunnysunny69(m): 4:29pm On Feb 25, 2018
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by SUPOL(m): 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
Please someone should come n make sense here
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Pavore9: 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
Be respectfully firm. It will give them a sense of duty and boundary.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by freakcin: 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2018
Tact, a lot of patience and humility. Might help if you're the religious type. Problem is, some of this older folks are kinda frustrated working under you, as such any inexperience trait exhibited by you is quickly jumped on and perceived to be an insult. You do meet nice once occasionally who would help you grow.
At the end of the day, you need to be tactful, talk less and listen more as in 4th level kinda listening. Be humble and never have that mindset like u the boss and always right. Be ready to learn and be extremely humble. Also remember to be firm when the need arises.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Goldenheart(m): 4:33pm On Feb 25, 2018
Modify*

With wisdom... Dude
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 25, 2018
Respect them and before giving them work to do whine them very well (washie) and you will have no problem with friendship and work.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by micgray100(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2018
Know when to draw the lines...
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by davidplum(m): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2018
I face the same experience coz I head a team with people having 8years experience while I have just 3yrs experience. It is not easy but am drawing the line.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by amokeme(f): 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2018
Respect is reciprocal. You are being paid to do a job, same goes for them too.
They are not your "uncle/aunty or family members" that's a working environment, keep it so. Don't "familitise" it.
Do the Job you are paid to do simple.

If they notice you are timid they will use it against you especially if they are yorubas too. Don't let that happen

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Sunnyflex(m): 4:45pm On Feb 25, 2018
wunmi590:
I recently got a job which gives me an opportunity to oversee people who are older than me.

Handling people who are older than me has been giving me a lot of issue, as I am a typical yoruba guy with a lot of respect.

But I discover that I find it hard sending somebody who can be my uncle and my dad.

I quickly have pity for people, that's why I can never work in the prison, even if I have a free employment there, because I might one day setting the prisoners free.

Nairalanders, how do you control older people under you to do their job diligently.

Must u include statement by sentimentally describing yourself to be a typical Yoruba man? Just digressed a little though.
Well, the truth is that u have been assigned a responsibility as a senior staff or worker as the case be may.You have the sole responsibility to make sure that the jobs assigned to them are duly implemented.But u have to do that skillfully with professionality by using an example of a quality of a good leader.By this, you will be highly respected despite your age pa say. The wisdom of Solomon, has nothing to do with the old age of Metusallah[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Enosa1(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2018
Just the same situation I find myself presently, some of them perceive instructions from you as insult.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by coalcoal1(m): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2018
I run my own business, a car hire service company and most of my drivers are my seniors. I draw the line and we work professionally. No sentiments attached
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Alariiwo: 4:49pm On Feb 25, 2018
How else??

Treat them politely and do your thing.
Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by freemanbubble: 4:51pm On Feb 25, 2018
just do your job my guy and stop acting like a kid.

assuming you are in the military or any of the paramilitary sector or better still any government organization would you come up with this issues
my guy just use your head and do your job or else you get a query that leads to warning which in turn may result in sacking or a delay in promotion

I wish you good luck though!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by SAMBARRY: 4:53pm On Feb 25, 2018
When you are at work forget sentiments or the respect card

I'm not saying YOU should TREAT YOUr subordinates rudely but with the way you are going,if they know you are soft or have consideration for their age,they won't do what they're supposed to do and then THEY will begin to manipulate and disrespect you.very soon they'll become uncontrollable and by the time you try to call them to order,they'll claim you're arrogant,rude and proud.be firm.don't take nonsense,be professional and remind them they're adults hence THEY need to respect themselves because you wouldn't want a situation where you will embarrass anybody.trust me the fear of embarrassment Will make them comport themselves and comply

One of my subordinates is way older than all of us.infact she's my mom's mate but I STILL CAll her by her first name unfortunately she's the one that misbehaves the most.I have told them when we're in a meeting please put your phone on silent or vibration.she's the ONE that her phone will ring loud,shes the one that will come late to work with the excuse of hold up today,her daughter was sick etc,she's the one that will be sleeping during work hours or eating when she's not supposed to be eating,she's the one that will stain the office document with beans etc

It's her that will be coming to work looking disorganized and improperly dressed.she won't adjust her bra well,her underskirt will be longer that her skirt etc.I've reprimanded her several times till I had enough of her and gave her query

She ran to a friend of mine that one pleaded on her behalf but now she has changed a bit sha

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by Dhayor001(m): 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2018
Got a job last year that put me in charge of people who are older than me in age, have stayed longer with the organisation.

Suffice to say looking a lot younger than my actual age (heard these folks guess my age and trust me, the closest person guessed a 5 year gap) has not really helped matters. Did I mention that I also had to transfer to another part of the country?

First couple of months was a disaster. I would talk and no one would listen. Give them queries and would get open confrontations and threats, give instructions and no one would follow.

My breakthrough came from my persistence and the fact that I had supervisors who although were used to the ways of my subordinates, were actually backing me with the reforms I tried to bring. Also, while pushing for better performance, I gave my body and soul.

Within 8 months, rookie me had bagged 2 awards and higher responsibilities

Sorry I have digressed.

1. Be firm

2. Be goal oriented.

3. Be a performer.

4. Lead by example.

5. Cut off dead wood without fear, favour or remorse.

6. Nip unwanted character, behaviour, attitude immediately.

7. Have an open door policy. You must be very approachable.

8. Reward performance.

9. Keep it professional.

10. And most important of all, leave your emotions at home.

Cheers

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Older People Under You At Work? by wunmi590(m): 4:58pm On Feb 25, 2018
Ishilove:
I am the youngest in my section yet I am their head, but that doesn't stop me from putting them in their place when it is time. Respect is mutual so give them their respect as your junior colleagues but know where to draw the line. I too thought I wouldn't be able to control them when I initially started because of their age, but overtime I had to harden myself and do the job I am paid to do. You are there to do a job, not make friends or look at anyone's face.

If they fvck up, you will be held accountable, not them so toughen up and do needful otherwise someone else will do it for you.

Wow, nice write up.

Thanks for the write up

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Skill Should He Go For? / Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria / Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.