Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring (20351 Views)

6-Year Single Term: Atiku Said Lawmakers Threw Away Baby With Bath Water / What Atiku Told Reno Omokri About Jobs / What Atiku Said In 2014 Before Joining APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Ratello: 6:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
Full text of what Atiku said about Buhari govt, killings in Nigeria, restructuring

Published on February 25, 2018 By Wale Odunsi 

Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has again asked the President Muhammadu Buhari administration to work harder to improve the lives of Nigerians.

Atiku, in his keynote speech delivered at the Silverbird Man Of The Year 2017, also spoke on killings across the country.

He lamented the situation stated that security of lives and property must be more guaranteed.

On restructuring, he said if he becomes the nation’s leader, “no state receive less money from the federation account than it currently does.”

Full text of his speech below…

“Ladies and gentlemen, I am honoured to be given this privilege to give the keynote speech at the Silverbird Man of the Year 2017 ceremony.

I know the organizers have collated the votes and this will lead to the emergence of the official Silverbird man of the year. However, my man of the year are also the gallant men and women of the Nigerian Armed Forces who paid the supreme price to protect us from terrorists and those who desire to divide us.

Our nation is going through a lot of challenges. There are challenges to our unity, economic challenges and most worrisome of all are the security challenges we are currently facing.

These challenges are actually symptoms. They are not the ailment. And as any doctor will tell you, you cannot get genuine long-lasting relief if you treat symptoms. You have to target and treat the root cause of the disease.

What is happening in Nigeria is that as a nation, we are caught up in a modern-day Malthusian Trap. For years, our population has been growing faster than our Gross Domestic Product, bringing us to a point where we have an ever-increasing population competing for resources that are not keeping pace with population growth.

It may sound simplistic, but if Nigeria can assemble a leadership focused on getting us out of this Malthusian Trap by gradually reversing the trend where population growth exceeds GDP growth, many of these challenges we are currently facing will slowly but surely fade away.

Last year, we celebrated the fact that we exited our first recession in 25 years. To me, that celebration was premature.

After contracting for five consecutive quarters, Nigeria came out of recession in the second quarter of 2017 with a GDP growth rate of 0.55%. In the third quarter, we fared better with 1.40%.

While this looks somewhat like we exited the recession, the reality is that when you factor in our population growth rate of 2.3%, which is one of the highest in the world, have we really exited a recession? Technically, yes, but in reality, it is doubtful.

This month of February 2018, according to the World Poverty Clock, Nigeria has just overtaken India as the world’s capital of extreme poverty. There are more extremely poor people in Nigeria than there are in India, a country that has six times Nigeria’s population.

When people do not have jobs and the means to start a business are beyond their reach, they are incrementally much more likely to engage in criminal behaviours like terrorism, kidnapping, militancy and armed robbery.

According to the African Development Bank, in 2017, 18 African countries grew their Gross Domestic Product above 5%. Nigeria, which was number one in 2014, was not amongst these nations. We must figure out what has happened in the intervening years between 2014 and 2018 and fix what went wrong.

What happened to brilliant initiatives like the YouWIN programme which gave Nigerian youths the training and funding to start their own businesses?

Nigeria has a median age of 18.3 years. Our population is young. So when we have successful and laudable initiatives like YouWIN, which according to the World Bank, was two and a half times more effective than Mexico’s similar youth job initiative and ten times more effective than Turkey’s own version, we must continue them even when there has been a change in administration.

We talk of fighting corruption, but let us move beyond sentiments and media trials and look at the facts.

We must try to identify why, though we have been ostensibly fighting corruption for the past few years, Transparency International, the official global anti-corruption monitoring agency, has not increased our Corruption Perception Index rating. The last time we made progress was in 2014.

Not to belabour the point, but we have to kill the snake of corruption that swallows the commonwealth that should lift our people up from poverty. Whether that snake is in a JAMB Office or any other government office, we must kill it or it will kill us.
Einstein said that insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

We have been in denial about restructuring, but with a failing economy, worsening insecurity, and negative indices in almost all spheres of the human development index, we can no longer run from the obvious.

Nigeria needs to be restructured. We must embrace restructuring as something that must be done to fix Nigeria’s broken systems and not just a campaign gimmick that we fish out of our magic hats and deny after we have gotten what we want.

Let me say this: The Restructuring that I, Atiku Abubakar, envisions, will see no state receive less money from the federation account than it currently does. I hope that will ease the anxieties of some who oppose restructuring. Restructuring will not cheat you. It will free you.

When I was in government, we reduced recurrent expenditure by introducing the monetization Policy and by privatizing many government enterprises, especially those that were consuming resources without generating revenue. Those policies have been bastardized today and we have seen a ballooning of our recurrent expenditure and shrinkage of our capital expenditure. We must return to the basics.

We cannot spend 70% of our budget on recurrent expenditure at a time Nigeria has more unemployed or underemployed people than the entire population of the Republic of Cameroon.

Many of you in the audience and those of you watching from home may be surprised to know that when I was a teenager, the Saudi Royal Family came to Nigeria for medical tourism and precisely to the University College Hospital, Ibadan.

Can you imagine how I feel that now that I am an adult, Nigerians, and especially our leaders, are Africa’s Number One medical tourists.

We have to enact laws to prevent leaders from diverting public funds from the public health sector to the treatment of the elite in the best hospitals abroad. If you can afford it from your own private resources, then pay for it. But do not make the tax payer pay for it.

We are in critical times, and as I conclude, I want to urge a paradigm shift in Nigeria. Our elite are treated in Europe. Big Brother Naija is being broadcast from South Africa and Nike is unveiling our FIFA World Cup Jersey in London. Is this the extent to which we have outsourced Nigeria? As far as I am concerned, if it concerns Nigeria, it must be done in Nigeria, not abroad. Not abroad.

Finally, let me say to Borno, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Plateau, Kaduna and now Zamfara, I feel your pains on the recent deaths you have suffered and the time has come for all Nigerians to say together, no more! These senseless killings must end!

As a wise-man once said, that no one’s religious, economic or social interests is worth the shedding of blood.

We must accept that the difference between Nigerians is not North and South, Christian and Muslim or PDP and APC. The difference is between good and bad people and we must demonstrate that the good are much more than the bad.

Let me once again thank the organizers of the Silverbird Man of the Year Award for inviting me to give this keynote speech. Distinguished Senator Ben Bruce, please carry on with your common sense messages.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen and may God bless Nigeria!”

http://dailypost.ng/2018/02/25/full-text-atiku-said-buhari-govt-killings-nigeria-restructuring/

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by UbanmeUdie: 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
shocked

A very commendable speech from a political destitute.

Many years ago, i read one of Mike Murdock's books titled, The Power of Recognition.

I think Atiku Abubakar needs a copy of it because, he clearly hasn't recognized that becoming Nigeria's president is not his destiny.

It is foolishness for a man to be chasing the wind.

I pity him & those cheering him to further humiliation are his enemies.

Atiku Abubakar, I am your friend...... mind your investments and kindly accept your death certificate as one who has died from the Nigerian political world.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Atiku2019: 6:35pm On Feb 25, 2018
My President 2019

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Ratello: 6:40pm On Feb 25, 2018
If not for anything his track records in the area of always fitting in round pegs in round holes during the time he headed the National Economic Council under Obasanjo (1999-2007) was one of the reasons Nigeria stayed buoyant economically despite inheriting a paltry $3.2 billion forex from General Abdulsalam. His impacts in the area of employments is another plus. I support ProjectAtiku 2019!

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by dignity33: 6:41pm On Feb 25, 2018
Very commendable speech.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by AirFireEarthH20: 6:43pm On Feb 25, 2018
The speech is very presidential.

I salute you our incoming President. You're the hope of the common man

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Ratello: 7:07pm On Feb 25, 2018
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

A very commendable speech from a political destitute.

Many years ago, i read one of Mike Murdock's books titled, The Power of Recognition.

I think Atiku Abubakar needs a copy of it because, he clearly hasn't recognized that becoming Nigeria's president is not his destiny.

It is foolishness for a man to be chasing the wind.

I pity him & those cheering him to further humiliation are his enemies.

Atiku Abubakar, I am your friend...... mind your investments and kindly accept your death certificate as one who has died from the Nigerian political world.

You just sat down in one corner of your room to type what you don't know about Atiku and his future. You want to know how many times Abraham Lincoln tried contesting for political posts and yet keep losing to the extent that he was branded a serial loser? I am sure you are aware that he eventually became one of Ameruca'a best President ever. In Nigeria here, Buhari had been contesting for the past 12 years only for him to be voted into power by you lots in his 16th year of contesting which happens to be his 4th attempt sp alagba you don't know what you are saying about Atiku's destiny. I suggest you go and read that book you recommended yourself!

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Daplux4: 7:25pm On Feb 25, 2018
restructuring that is a big issue now is not supposed to be if North thinks Right but because they shout one Nigeria only from their lips that is why we ate where we are today.
Any patriotic Nigerian will agree with me that we need reforms .
It is a task to bring back our unity.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Ratello: 7:25pm On Feb 25, 2018
AirFireEarthH20:
The speech is very presidential.

I salute you our incoming President. You're the hope of the common man

You have said it as it is. If it is not Atiku I don't know who else!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by MrMystrO(m): 9:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
Atiku is a Fraud and he will Always remain a Fraud. I still maintain that No matter how Bad Buhari's Regime is, A buhari Presidency is still a million times better than an Atiku Presidency. Instead of Atiku to be President, Buhari should remain there! We can not keep making the same mistake everytime moving from Frying Pan to fire, Enough is enough. Let's Manage the Devil we know Until a much better Candidate we can consider comes along, Not Old Recycled Northerners who Want nothing more than to Sell this Country to the Highest Bidder.

My Country people.. #NeverAgain

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by wristbangle: 9:01pm On Feb 25, 2018
The sudden romance between Ipads and Atiku is nauseating. Even one up there is saying do you know how many times Abraham lincoln failed before he became president... like seriously? Comparing a hero to a con thief?

Look people! Atiku is just peddling on the current situation to score political point for his presidential race. This man and buhari are same clueless entities who doesn't care about the masses

It's a pity we have settle for two pathetic old cargos when there are able bodied, intelligent, zeal and passionate people in the nation.

The most painful thing about those ranting Atikulation are the educated ones whom I expected to be illiterate people. sad

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by fakuta(f): 9:03pm On Feb 25, 2018
northerners will not like this,
I honestly trust Atiku with Nigerian economy
my fear is the security aspect .����

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Newpride(m): 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2018
Atiku you've said it all but don't forget that we sensitive Nigerians who don't forget past and history will never fall for ur gimmicks.
The problems we are facing today are not alien to us, they started during the 16 years rule of PDP which u were one of the stake holders then and no single solution has bn provided to all ds problems.
Keep that nonsense to ur ipob supporters and other fools who have politically hoodwinked.
Pmb won't go for 2nd term never, but u Atiku and pdp will never rule this country again.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by san316(m): 9:05pm On Feb 25, 2018
Na u sabi. They should also give u chance to try
Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Slymonster(m): 9:07pm On Feb 25, 2018
Nigeria have been outsourced long ago
Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by wristbangle: 9:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
Newpride:
Atiku you've said it all but don't forget that we sensitive Nigerians who don't forget past and history will never fall for ur gimmicks.
The problems we are facing today are not alien to us, they started during the 16 years rule of PDP which u were one of the stake holders then and no single solution has bn provided to all ds problems.
Keep that nonsense to ur ipob supporters and other fools who have politically hoodwinked.
Pmb won't go for 2nd term never, but u Atiku and pdp will never rule this country again.

Words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by MrRichmond: 9:12pm On Feb 25, 2018
To be honest, this speech was highly presidential and conservative.
Reminded me of Trump rhetoric, howbeit, softer.
Although he was vague and failed to go into more details about the restructuring process, he sounded very pro-nigerian and authentic.
Atiku2019: I used to doubt that, now I'm having second thoughts....

11 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Counselor123: 9:14pm On Feb 25, 2018
This speech is more like one made after winning primary election. This is being positioned to frame our mind in a particular direction.

Any ways, I like the speech, it's well written but if given the power he seeks, we cannot trust him. Talk is cheap!

4 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by anthony86(m): 9:16pm On Feb 25, 2018
Newpride:
Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Basic123: 9:23pm On Feb 25, 2018
Again just 3 people made 70% of the comments above with alternate monikers.The contents are too similar!

As for Atiku,we dont expect him to praise the government.Is he not in opposition?,Even if Buhari turned Nigeria to heaven or paradise,Atiku and his osu IPOB followers will still criticize!

2 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Wiseoldman: 9:28pm On Feb 25, 2018
Why do I suspect Atiku has a hand in distabilizing the country. Financialy and in terms of security. These politicians are too despirate...he wants to play APC's 2015 game against them...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 25, 2018
Why did Atiku avoid the phrase, "Fulani Herdsmen" in his speech?. He is sounding like Obama who cannot say ".Islamic extremist terrorism".

He just mentioned senseless killing in Benue without the phrase "Fulani Herdsmen" because he is their patron.

Yet the same Ipot youth that are applauding him criticise FG for calling it senseless killing too.

Ben Maurice Bruce have turned silverbird to a political party.

hypocrites.
Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by tony9k: 9:38pm On Feb 25, 2018
The speech reminds me of that made by then candidate Buhari. Just as this it was presidential - he condemned medical tourism, the high number of planes in the presidential fleet etc but President Buhari's action and inaction is at variance with then candidate Buhari. The reality is that virtually all Nigerian politicians of whatever persuasion are in politics primarily for their pockets and it is tragic for Nigerians. A plus for Atiku is that he has made significant strides in business. Let us continue watching and appraising them before zeroing in on the "best of the worst" or the "least bad".

3 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Angelawhite(m): 9:39pm On Feb 25, 2018
grin
Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by smokedfish: 9:42pm On Feb 25, 2018
MrMystrO:
Atiku is a Fraud and he will Always remain a Fraud. I still maintain that No matter how Bad Buhari's Regime is, A buhari Presidency is still a million times better than an Atiku Presidency. Instead of Atiku to be President, Buhari should remain there! We can not keep making the same mistake everytime moving from Frying Pan to fire, Enough is enough. Let's Manage the Devil we know Until a much better Candidate we can consider comes along, Not Old Recycled Northerners who Want nothing more than to Sell this Country to the Highest Bidder.

My Country people.. #NeverAgain
shatap....Go to Adamawa nd see fr urself befr u stat talkin

4 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by smokedfish: 9:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
Newpride:
ehn....play the blame game...accept what it is n let go what isnt n focus on ahead....you are in the mess you re in cz u wnt to be n nt anibodies business...ur painment no be hia...your problem started wen naija entered democracy n dts all...you hia playin d blame game

2 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by Realdeals(m): 9:47pm On Feb 25, 2018
Usual rhetorics, he should tell us how he's going to tackle these issues

Nigeria needs to be restructured.
How will he go about it as a President?

We cannot spend 70% of our budget on recurrent expenditure
How will he reduced it

Nike is unveiling our FIFA World Cup Jersey in London.
Will he open a sports kitting company and can he tell us the percentage of expatriate lecturers in ABTI

Talk is cheap! Reality is what we need now

4 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by MrMystrO(m): 9:49pm On Feb 25, 2018
smokedfish:
shatap....Go to Adamawa nd see fr urself befr u stat talkin

OLODO. When election time comes go and vote Atiku, I'm sure he's gonna be the solution to all Your Problems. Brainwashed Low life Scum. GTFOH!

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by leckzid: 9:52pm On Feb 25, 2018
I don't know why I like this man, I don't trust him either, but I can still count my vote for him if there is no other credible candidate to tackle buhari next year.

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by smokedfish: 9:53pm On Feb 25, 2018
MrMystrO:

OLODO. When election time comes go and vote Atiku, I'm sure he's gonna be the solution to all Your Problems. Brainwashed Low life Scum. GTFOH!
hahahaahahahhah......mehn your level of painment supersedes your mental state....hope you are ok befr they will be rushing someone to ward 7 bcz painment and mental disorder will lead you strait dia...eflefu

3 Likes

Re: Full Text Of What Atiku Said About Buhari Government, Killings & Restructuring by jkendy(m): 10:10pm On Feb 25, 2018
wristbangle:
The sudden romance between Ipads and Atiku is nauseating. Even one up there is saying do you know how many times Abraham lincoln failed before he became president... like seriously? Comparing a hero to a con thief?

Look people! Atiku is just peddling on the current situation to score political point for his presidential race. This man and buhari are same clueless entities who doesn't care about the masses

It's a pity we have settle for two pathetic old cargos when there are able bodied, intelligent, zeal and passionate people in the nation.

The most painful thing about those ranting Atikulation are educated illiterates sad
Biko save the long grammar and simply menton just a name of one "able bodied, intelligent, zealous and passionate" person you've got at heart to sit on the driver's seat and successfully roll Nigeria to the Promised Land.
Just mention one

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Crisis: Buhari Breaks Silence, Insists Convention Holds March 26 / Aisha Alhassan Visits Buhari (Photos) / Femi Adesina: Buhari Goes Rail-Wire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.