Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent (22561 Views)

Soldier Takes Kids To School On Scooter (Video) / Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? / Shocking Pic Of Lagos Nursery School Where Parents Pay Over N2million As Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 27, 2018
Actually, that is learnt at home and not school. School environment is not enough to teach a child how to speak and communicate using Queens English. Kiddies TV like Disney junior and English language interaction apps are what expose children to such. I did diction too . There was a small girl I met last two yrs in Nigeria and she hasn't started school yet but she speaks very solid Queens English. The mother said she learnt at home with apps and watch cartoons that teach them how to express themselves with words correctly. It has nothing to do with school.
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by ENG1110: 8:54am On Feb 27, 2018
sanpipita:
These parents are planning a bright future for their kids and you people think its inferiority complex, in some years to come these kids will quickly fit into British society and get multinational jobs, who Nigeria epp

People are getting multinational jobs without British accent. The important things are good grammar, and confidence . You can have British accent and not speak proper English

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by sanpipita(m): 9:00am On Feb 27, 2018
ENG1110:

People are getting multinational jobs without British accent. The important things are good grammar, and confidence . You can have British accent and not speak proper English

I just talking about it being an extra skill for their future endeavors, I know kids who are taught Mandarin so they can into the best schools easily
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:03am On Feb 27, 2018
EDUCATION introduces a man to the world ,whether or not he glorifies his accent. ACCENT wants us to introduce ourselves to the world ,to tell them we are English ,American or French to the backbone or by assimilation.

English by assimilation is not a very idea in Africa considering the complexity which abounds here. Whatever should make a man have his children instructed in the best manner possible and with the best method affordable should constitute no fuss at all. After all ,education is a gold mine.
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by BanevsJoker(m): 9:03am On Feb 27, 2018
guterMann:
If I were the President or the Education Minister,I will introduce the topic of racial equality or the understanding that no race is superior/inferior to the other.

Nigerians have inferiority complex,that is why you see policemen being at the beck and call of even Indians and Chinese,or a white guy who had a little qulaification abroad,called an expatriate in Nigeria.

To the topic,these parents are wasting their resources and time,YOU CAN NOT DEVELOP BRITISH ACCENT IN NIGERIA.Your children will be shocked when they get to the UK.They will realize that their accent is still not the real deal.

Secondly,there is no general british accent.THERE ARE SCOTTISH,SCOUSER,MANCUNIAN,LONDON ACCENTS ETC.
Which are they going to teach your children?
Don't forget Geordie and Scouse. Newcastle and Liverpool respectively.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by naylor(f): 9:12am On Feb 27, 2018
WORLDPEACE:

It is not inferiority complex. If a person is learning Yoruba, should they be speaking it in Tiv accent?
If you speak English, you should speak in British accent-Queens English specifically.
Everything is not inferiority complex.
Come on this is Nigeria they are simply doing this to show off.
The English language has evolved over centuries, there is the American English, Australian English etc. Not everyone speaks with this British accent these days and if not for ridiculous copying, there would also be a Universally acknowledged Nigerian English.
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by LordReed(m): 9:16am On Feb 27, 2018
People and their ignorance! I did not school abroad but through exposure I converse very freely with people from very diverse parts of the world. You don't need a freaking British accent to be understood, you need to speak and enunciate clearly. Stupidity!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:26am On Feb 27, 2018
Sard:

Stop writing gibberish, young man.
Writing lengthy, meaningless paragraphs won't justify your argument.
You're not an authority in determining what's wrong or right in English language. So, if you think you've any point, attach links or screenshots supporting your stance just like I did when I "schooled" you on the use of "school" as a verb.
By the way, calling people names doesn't mean you're better than them. It only shows you're not intellectually sound enough to hold civil discussions.

Dear Goofball,

I have no concern for your ignorance which by now has reached maturation. It won't be an omission to ignore a mad man who keeps washing his palms to remove a dirt that isn't there.

Your insistence on using 'school' as verb is a shame that has fallen upon you. You lack the face to admit faults when an overwhelming evidence comes around. You may die in perpetual ignorance but I fear for your generation.

Regards
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:31am On Feb 27, 2018
[quote author=LordReed post=65406913]People and their ignorance! I did not school abroad but through exposure I converse very freely with people from very diverse parts of the world. You don't need a freaking British accent to be understood, you need to speak and enunciate clearly. Stupidity![/quote

For God's sake you can't use 'school' for 'educated'. The word 'school' is not a verb in this example .

You are an example of why I don't really blame those parents for their decision.
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by Viicfuntop(f): 9:34am On Feb 27, 2018
That is somehow shallow. My mates here, tell me they love my accent and it’s not British.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by shaybebaby(f): 9:34am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

The audacity of pure nonsense has found a place in your reasoning. This is too shallow to be called anything !
Your stupidity is alarming. Inconceivable how you can find his post anything but profound!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:41am On Feb 27, 2018
shaybebaby:

Your stupidity is alarming. Inconceivable how you can find his post anything but profound!

lwkm!

This babe does not know what it means to say something is ANYTHING BUT PROFOUND. Dear God ,this is too shallow!

Even in your haste to speak English you ignorantly weaved the most incorrect diction .

Look at that sentence again and tell me if you have assailed me or the person you wanted to defend.

Olodo rabata
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 27, 2018
Misleading topic and article. They are learning british english...not british accent. Two different things

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by lucreziaborgia(f): 9:44am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

SMH. Speak English as it is spoken . olodo!
you are the Olori. Idiot
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by Sard(m): 9:46am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

Dear Goofball,

I have no concern for your ignorance which by now has reached maturation. It won't be an omission to ignore a mad man who keeps washing his palms to remove a dirt that isn't there.

Your insistence on using 'school' as verb is a shame that has fallen upon you. You lack the face to admit faults when an overwhelming evidence comes around. You may die in perpetual ignorance but I fear for your generation.

Regards

grin grin grin

Show screenshots or links to prove your claim, but you prefer to continue ranting, blabbing and making incessant noise.
I believe you now; you are the authority that determines what's right or wrong in English language. I hope you can shut up now.

I would have wished you a good day, but I don't know if the word "good" also exists in your dictionary. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by lucreziaborgia(f): 9:46am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

SMH. Speak English as it is spoken . olodo!
you are the olodo. Why are you pained? Are you amongst the inferior parents or are you the part of the school management? GTFOH
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by lucreziaborgia(f): 9:49am On Feb 27, 2018
ireneidiva:

These insults are unnecessary. You may have failed to notice that this generation has a horrible spoken and written English. Anything to make it better is not bad.
so speaking a strange accent will make it better? Do Nigerians know that we speak and write English better than most brits?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by shaybebaby(f): 9:49am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

Dear Goofball,

Regards

Dear Cuntbreath,

Please see below.

It is true that the earliest noun sense of school ("an organized source of education or training"wink has been around for longer than the earliest verb sense ("to give teaching or training to"wink. The noun has been in use since Old English, and the verb didn't crop up until the 15th century. But there is a considerable body of writing over the past five or six hundred years with school used as a verb, and it does not appear to have done any irreparable damage to our language.

I schooled him soundly against Puritanisme, which he disavowes, though somewhat faintly; I hope his Highnesse and the King will second it.
—Anon., Mysteries of State & Government, 1654

The poor Man being thus Schooled by his Wife, must provide for this Journey, or else all the Fat's in the Fire; there will be no quietness, if she does not go abroad.
–Anon., The Fifteen Comforts of Rash and Inconsiderate Marriage, 1694

My years at the convent, where I had been schooled in the art of sacrifice, self-denial and endurance, had been quite ineffective.
—Farida Karodia, A Shattering of Silence, 1993

She was not an impulsive woman, and her life had schooled her to restrain her tongue.
—Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out, 1915

you have learnt softness; I, by your example,
am well-schooled in contempt; and while
you speak of truce I laugh, and to your pleading
turn a cool and guarded profile.
-Fleur Adcock, Knife-play (from The Eye of the Hurricane), 1964

Although the verb form of school has a number of senses which are perfectly acceptable, there is a colloquial one which appears to stick in the craws of many, and that is the use of school to mean "admonish, teach a lesson to."

Maybe that's why Bucknall is so determined to put the moves on Worthy in practice. Worthy, however, has his doubts about that. "Never," he said. "All those young guys—J.R., Scott (Williams)—I'll school 'em, and they know it."
—Jamie Rosenberg, The Daily Tar Heel (Chapel Hill, NC), 12 Jan. 1990

None of this should be taken as an exhortation on the part of Merriam-Webster for you to go into this school year brandishing the verb use of school like a cudgel, using it whenever you can. It is, however, a gentle reminder that sometimes verbs will become nouns, nouns will turn into verbs, and you should rarely, if ever, take language advice from people on Twitter. (Except us.)

www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-school-ever-properly-a-verb

Hope this helps you dismount your fvcking high horse.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:49am On Feb 27, 2018
Sard:

grin grin grin

Show screenshots or links to prove your claim, but you prefer to continue ranting, blabbing and making incessant noise.
I believe you now; you are the authority that determines what's right or wrong in English language. I hope you can shut up now.

I would have wished you a good day, but I don't know if the word "good" also exists in your dictionary. cheesy

grin
Sard:

grin grin grin

A French wine for this olodo !
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by delivryboy: 9:52am On Feb 27, 2018
WORLDPEACE:

It is not inferiority complex. If a person is learning Yoruba, should they be speaking it in Tiv accent?
If you speak English, you should speak in British accent-Queens English specifically.
Everything is not inferiority complex.

Your inferiority has two horns and a tail. People in Abuja generally live fake lives, parents brag about the cost of their children's school fees, some tell you they pay in foreign currency. Later the children will be speaking trash in British accent like "uncle, won't you come and chop" (in British accent.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by shaybebaby(f): 9:53am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

lwkm!

This babe does not know what it means to say something is ANYTHING BUT PROFOUND. Dear God ,this is too shallow!

Even in your haste to speak English you ignorantly weaved the most incorrect diction .

Look at that sentence again and tell me if you have assailed me or the person you wanted to defend.

Olodo rabata

Who gives a flying fvck? More disturbing is your stupidity.

Guy gives valid points, you are here fvck in having chatting gibberish. Don't blame you though, you have wanked out whatever little sense you possessed in the first instance.

W@nker!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:54am On Feb 27, 2018
shaybebaby:

Dear Cuntbreath,

Please see below.

It is true that the earliest noun sense of school ("an organized source of education or training"wink has been around for longer than the earliest verb sense ("to give teaching or training to"wink. The noun has been in use since Old English, and the verb didn't crop up until the 15th century. But there is a considerable body of writing over the past five or six hundred years with school used as a verb, and it does not appear to have done any irreparable damage to our language.

I schooled him soundly against Puritanisme, which he disavowes, though somewhat faintly; I hope his Highnesse and the King will second it.
—Anon., Mysteries of State & Government, 1654

The poor Man being thus Schooled by his Wife, must provide for this Journey, or else all the Fat's in the Fire; there will be no quietness, if she does not go abroad.
–Anon., The Fifteen Comforts of Rash and Inconsiderate Marriage, 1694

My years at the convent, where I had been schooled in the art of sacrifice, self-denial and endurance, had been quite ineffective.
—Farida Karodia, A Shattering of Silence, 1993

She was not an impulsive woman, and her life had schooled her to restrain her tongue.
—Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out, 1915

you have learnt softness; I, by your example,
am well-schooled in contempt; and while
you speak of truce I laugh, and to your pleading
turn a cool and guarded profile.
-Fleur Adcock, Knife-play (from The Eye of the Hurricane), 1964

Although the verb form of school has a number of senses which are perfectly acceptable, there is a colloquial one which appears to stick in the craws of many, and that is the use of school to mean "admonish, teach a lesson to."

Maybe that's why Bucknall is so determined to put the moves on Worthy in practice. Worthy, however, has his doubts about that. "Never," he said. "All those young guys—J.R., Scott (Williams)—I'll school 'em, and they know it."
—Jamie Rosenberg, The Daily Tar Heel (Chapel Hill, NC), 12 Jan. 1990

None of this should be taken as an exhortation on the part of Merriam-Webster for you to go into this school year brandishing the verb use of school like a cudgel, using it whenever you can. It is, however, a gentle reminder that sometimes verbs will become nouns, nouns will turn into verbs, and you should rarely, if ever, take language advice from people on Twitter. (Except us.)

www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-school-ever-properly-a-verb

Hope this helps you dismount your fvcking high horse.

Regards

Dear Overgrown Idiot!

How on earth did you bypass my previous post ? I have already made a strong case for Merriam Webster's authority on verbal construction of 'school'. Here is it:

Dear Lunkhead,
It is still a very valid point of argument that you lack a proper understanding of when and how to use the word " School'. Kindly take note of the following points :
1. The word ' school ' is not a verb . It is grammatically wrong to say : I SCHOOLED in Harvard. From whom did you learn that 'school ' is a verb in this context? SMH
2. The word 'school' applies basically as the COLLECTIVE for FISH when it is understood that they swim together. That's why you could say : A SCHOOL OF FISH. Got this?
When & How To Verbalise the word "SCHOOL".
Gerunds come to mind. When you add 'ing' to a verb it does not merely become a noun except when properly used to do what nouns do.
ING.
1. SCHOOLING the new horses is time consuming ( How does this sound? Incorrect? Hell no ! It is absolutely correct.
The word 'school ' is used as a noun by adding 'ing'. So avoid this pitfall!
2. I SCHOOLED myself to be compassionate. ( I have deliberately used the word 'school ' as a verb to mean that I taught myself the virtue of compassion)
Education is in a state of infirmity in this country.

I don't do copy and paste!
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by Orpe7(m): 9:55am On Feb 27, 2018
Waste of money cus the same kids will still speak hausa and pidgin when they get to their neighbourhood grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 9:59am On Feb 27, 2018
shaybebaby:

Guy gives valid points, you are here fvck in having chatting gibberish. Don't blame you though, you have wanked out whatever little sense you possessed in the first instance.

W@nker!

Lump ass!

I don't care. There is no absolute truth of anything . Stop fooling around thinking you and that guy are the doctor in the know of all the diseases afflicting Africa.

Wake up !
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by shaybebaby(f): 10:04am On Feb 27, 2018
jhubril:

Dear Overgrown Idiot!

How on earth did you bypass my previous post ? I have already made a strong case for Merriam Webster's authority on verbal construction of 'school'. Here is it:

Dear Lunkhead,
It is still a very valid point of argument that you lack a proper understanding of when and how to use the word " School'. Kindly take note of the following points :
1. The word ' school ' is not a verb . It is grammatically wrong to say : I SCHOOLED in Harvard. From whom did you learn that 'school ' is a verb in this context? SMH
2. The word 'school' applies basically as the COLLECTIVE for FISH when it is understood that they swim together. That's why you could say : A SCHOOL OF FISH. Got this?
When & How To Verbalise the word "SCHOOL".
Gerunds come to mind. When you add 'ing' to a verb it does not merely become a noun except when properly used to do what nouns do.
ING.
1. SCHOOLING the new horses is time consuming ( How does this sound? Incorrect? Hell no ! It is absolutely correct.
The word 'school ' is used as a noun by adding 'ing'. So avoid this pitfall!
2. I SCHOOLED myself to be compassionate. ( I have deliberately used the word 'school ' as a verb to mean that I taught myself the virtue of compassion)
Education is in a state of infirmity in this country.

I don't do copy and paste!

I do fvck face, it called working efficiently.
Also, seeing as you are NOT an authority with peer reviewed papers on this subject, your personal opinion counts for shît if you do not back it up with a reputable source.

So it's not what you think bellend, school is a verb!

Now if you got out of the ghetto and experienced the real world, you would also know that language evolves and so do the rules governing its use.

Asinwin!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by bettyLad(f): 10:06am On Feb 27, 2018
I don't mind paying for my kids to learn it too even myself as well .. any recommendations here in Lagos where its been taught .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by delivryboy: 10:08am On Feb 27, 2018
shaybebaby:

W@nker!
WHY THIS SAVAGERY?!!! @jhubril Niqqa you be dead (in British accent)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 10:09am On Feb 27, 2018
grin
shaybebaby:

Also, seeing as you are NOT an authority with peer reviewed papers on this subject, your personal opinion counts for shît if you do not back it up with a reputable source.

Now if you got out of the ghetto and experienced the real world, you would also know that language evolves and so do the rules governing its use.

Asinwin!

Please stop weeping grin
shaybebaby:

Asinwin!

Please stop weeping . lwkmd

Attend to your bad grammar. e pain am!!!!

yahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by ehix89(m): 10:11am On Feb 27, 2018
I Would rather hire a tutor to teach my kids French, German, Latin, Chinese or any other foreign languages not trading off my local dialect which is the core of them all.....the English wey them sabi don do
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by shaybebaby(f): 10:16am On Feb 27, 2018
delivryboy:

grin grin
Sorry, woke up on the wrong side of my bed.
Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by nkemjacob2(m): 10:16am On Feb 27, 2018
Wasting of funds u can't learn full well British language wen u re Nigeria... Environmental influence matters....

This is inferiority complex, what happen to ur local language... Have they paid for their kids to learn it?

I no Lagos will be the spare head of this rubbish (lekki Schools in particular)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent by jhubril(m): 10:19am On Feb 27, 2018
grin
delivryboy:

Delivery Boy !!! The name speaks volume. grin
delivryboy:

Delivery Boy !!! The name speaks volume. lwkmd

Bark a million times !!

I won't attend to your ranting. Your are apparently seeking to be noticed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Oluwakemi Igiehon, UNIBEN Best Graduating Student (Photos) / Has Anyone Ever Lost Their Original Waec Certificate? / UNIZIK 2017/2018 Departmental Cut Off Marks And Points

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.