Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,730 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Someone Please Explain Iyami! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Someone Please Explain Iyami! (946 Views)

Iyami Eleye Recruitment- How To Join Witches / Difference Between IYAMOPO And Iyami Eleye / Nairaland Christians Please Explain These Images. Don't Run Away. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Someone Please Explain Iyami! by FeelDeMusic: 3:57pm On Feb 27, 2018
Hi all,

For those of you who are practitioners of the traditional Yoruba Ifa faith, I'd really like for some of you to explain the concept of "Iyami" or "Aje". I'm very confused on this subject, at first I thought Iyami were witches, then I found out they weren't witches per se, but just very powerful women. Then I thought Aje were witches, but it turns out again that Aje are also Iyami, or something along those lines.... it's just so confusing! Someone please explain because I need clarification, ose!
Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by FeelDeMusic: 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2018
Cc: Folykaze, Vaxx
Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by vaxx: 8:49pm On Mar 08, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Cc: Folykaze, Vaxx
present sir, the word Aje has nothing to do with the Eurocentric concept of witches. The word "Ajé" is related to the word "asé" which means "the power of the lifeforce."

Aje represents the particular asé of women which can be positive or negative. It must be clear though that simply being a woman does not make one an Aje, to be an Aje, a woman must master her feminine powers. While asé is in many ways a gender neutral concept, its unique expression in women can be found in the power of a woman's love, sisterhood, motherhood, and the phenomena of childbirth. In these regards, an Aje is understood as a woman who cultivates these powerful feminine powers.authough this female power can be misused but that will be a story for another day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by FeelDeMusic: 11:42pm On Mar 08, 2018
vaxx:
present sir, the word Aje has nothing to do with the Eurocentric concept of witches. The word "Ajé" is related to the word "asé" which means "the power of the lifeforce."

Aje represents the particular asé of women which can be positive or negative. It must be clear though that simply being a woman does not make one an Aje, to be an Aje, a woman must master her feminine powers. While asé is in many ways a gender neutral concept, its unique expression in women can be found in the power of a woman's love, sisterhood, motherhood, and the phenomena of childbirth. In these regards, an Aje is understood as a woman who cultivates these powerful feminine powers.authough this female power can be misused but that will be a story for another day.
Oh, ok, that's very cool! Thank you so much for explaining!

However I read somewhere that the Yoruba believe that the aje rule/control the world, is this correct?
Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by vaxx: 12:04am On Mar 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Oh, ok, that's very cool! Thank you so much for explaining!

However I read somewhere that the Yoruba believe that the aje rule/control the world, is this correct?
mother, woman, they naturally owned the womb where every child is concived, never underestimate their feminine powers, they are the root every child followed to this world,the way to success lies beneath their feet likewise distruction. The phrase "hell has no fury like a woman scorned" are part of the implication of a negative AJE. every woman who master her feminine power is ''AJE''

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by FeelDeMusic: 11:51am On Mar 09, 2018
vaxx:
mother, woman, they naturally owned the womb where every child is concived, never underestimate their feminine powers, they are the root every child followed to this world,the way to success lies beneath their feet likewise distruction. The phrase "hell has no fury like a woman scorned" are part of the implication of a negative AJE. every woman who master her feminine power is ''AJE''
Ah, nice! Well I think you're right about all that (LOL)!

1 Like

Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by ScienceWatch: 7:44pm On Mar 10, 2018
vaxx:

Awesome. Very incisive and honest.
Yes VAXX, a women with highly developed feminine powers is superior even to most men.
Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by vaxx: 8:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
ScienceWatch:
Awesome. Very incisive and honest.
Yes VAXX, a women with highly developed feminine powers is superior even to most men.
people often assume women to be a weaker creature when compare to man which is ignorance on their path. in fact at most time, the reverse is the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by ScienceWatch: 8:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
vaxx:
people often assume women to be a weaker creature when compare to man which is ignorance on their path. in fact at most time, the reverse is the case.
You are truly blessed to live daily with this wisdom. Women become empowered just by being in your company.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Someone Please Explain Iyami! by FeelDeMusic: 8:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
Well being a woman myself this conversation makes me very happy! I've always adored that basic and pure feminine power that we all have.... it's lovely and sacred.....

(1) (Reply)

The Importance Of Evangelism – Pastor Nike Adeyemi / Dr Sunday Adelaja Challenges, Challenges Adeboye, Oyedpo, Olukoya And All GO'S / Chief Priest Of Oba Of Benin's Cathedral Speaks On How The Church Operates. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.