Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges (15237 Views)

Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has Pedestrian Bridges That Nobody Uses / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has The Highest Number Of Pedestrian Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by AutoReportNG: 10:41am On Feb 28, 2018
Welcome to Lagos, the center of aquatic splendor. Lagos is home to more than 18 million people and this includes Nigerians, foreigners and lots of different folks. It is estimated that more than 5000 new people come into Lagos daily and so there have been challenges to keep the city in shape and maintain its uniqueness. AutoReportNG went around the city of Lagos to observe and experience some first-hand experience on why Lagosians don't like using the pedestrian bridges despite all the resources the state government has put to use to make life easier for all users.

1. Lagosians are always in hurry
A popular song of the late music maestro, Fela Kuti says on Monday morning, Lagos has no time for nonsense. A detailed investigation has shown that Lagosians were always in hurry to get to their destination, therefore, they break all norms by crossing the expressway. We caught up with someone who crossed the Ojota expressway and asked him why he prefers crossing the road rather than using the bridge, according to him, using the bridge may take me 5-10 mins and I can cross the road within 2-3 mins I am done, so no time to waste time.

2. Health challenges
We have lots of road users and this is not restricted to age and sex, we noticed that among people who preferred crossing the highway are mostly the age, the old people who are between 60-80 years. For example the bridge at Onipanu area of Lagos is so high that even the youths find it difficult climbing the bridge as the steps are not properly separated, you have to rest a bit before you can continue, if youths are having this challenge, imagine someone that is sick and the elderly ones, they will rather prefer crossing the highway which is more dangerous

3. The fear of pickpockets/arm robbers
People have complained about the security issues of these bridges at night, take for example the bridges at CMS, Onipanu, Fadeyi at night, these bridges have become the hiding place for miscreants to steal and rob unsuspecting pedestrians thereby robbing them of their personal items. Many people have been robbed at night due to using these pedestrian bridges, valuables, documents, and many other things have been declared missing as well, nevertheless, this is not the best reason to risk your lives as well.

4. Poor/Aging Bridges
Forget the happenings and the insecurity happening in the nation, Nigerians love life. One of the reasons people abandon the bridge and resort to crossing the highway is due to the rot and neglect of these bridges, take for example the bridges at YabaTech, Jibowu, and St. Agnes, it will take lots of courage or maybe they have to put a gun on your head before you can use these bridges. Most of them are already a death trap for users.

5. The bridges were too high
One of the major complains of the people is the height of the bridges, most bridges were constructed in a manner as if you were going to Mount Zion to see God's face and this has to pose lots of issues to the users. Some ladies find it difficult using the bridges as they complain of back pains especially those on heels. Example of this bridge can be found at Lekki Phase 1, the company that constructed the bridge ought to be flogged.

In as much as these reasons may sound genuine, the safety of our lives remain paramount and remain the key thing, the government that provides these infrastructures made them available for humans and not for cows. Safety of life as life has no duplicate, let's shun cross of high way and let's start to use the pedestrian bridges.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/02/reasons-why-lagosians-hate-using.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by AutoReportNG: 10:42am On Feb 28, 2018
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Homeboiy: 10:49am On Feb 28, 2018
Mtcheew....

Well we don't have it's kind in Benin city

So Iam jealous

10 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by chuksjuve(m): 10:58am On Feb 28, 2018
Lagos is about sharp sharp ..

We are always in a hurry for everything ..

The pederian bridge to a typical lagosians is like punishment..

Telling a lagosian to use the pedestrian bridge is like telling him or her to climb Olumo Rock ...

Check my profile

6 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by DWJOBScom(m): 11:25am On Feb 28, 2018
I always use the bridge and won't miss an opportunity to. It's could be the only exercise for the day or even week self

There are alot of distractions in most cArs from radio to mini viewing devices and one may not see you crossing .

It's easy and achievable

6 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by moscobabs(m): 12:13pm On Feb 28, 2018
Bro..the only valid point is point number 1, others are out of it. Lagosians need iron hands to set our brain to default

3 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
Y=You
O=Only
L=Live
O=Once.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
[center][/center] shocked
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by sod09(m): 12:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
many of them are afraid of height....like my 2 brothers grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by blesskewe(f): 12:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
Climbing the stairs alone
Na work embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by LordCenturion(m): 12:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
Because it's takes long hours before u walk to the nearby bridge under the hot sun especially when the bus you are looking for are scarce to see and u luckily saw one in from of u at other side of the road and ur next pedestrian bridge is 10 kilometers under the hot

What I saw when I was watching South African league...

3 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by pweshboi(m): 12:15pm On Feb 28, 2018
blesskewe:
Climbing the stairs alone
Na work embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
U go prefer escalator bah?

7 Likes

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Joedanish: 12:15pm On Feb 28, 2018
Want to make a $100 a day.

Click the link below.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Olalan(m): 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2018
Its because the law enforcement agencies have been sleeping. You wonder why in places where KAI picks up people you don't see them cross the road.
Africans and the language of force and punishments
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Jorussia(m): 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
My experience with the pedestrian bridge at ojota last October wasn't funny at all.The last time I visited Lagos was 2014 and i never new crossing the road without pedestrian bridge was no longer possible. I had to walk a long distance before i could cross over to efex park.The last time i used pedestrian bridge was 2009-2011 in uniben.those of us in Benin are not used to pedestrian bridges as its only present at uniben main gate.

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by engrjacuzzi: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
who bridges help
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by bobokeshington: 12:19pm On Feb 28, 2018
me dey fear to climb those bridges o especially for night.

a friend of mine was robbed on one of the pedestrian bridge in agege, the robbers even threatened to push him down if he dare raises any alarm
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Shukusheka(m): 12:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
The idea that Lagosians do this because they are unintelligent is the easy answer. And it's also the wrongest answer to anyone who does anything different from you.

Human behaviour (including that of Lagosians) is driven mostly by a perception of what the person considers good for them. Depending on the person, that could be good right now or good later on. And what is defined as good often is influenced by what has been good in the past.

Apply that to Lagos, keeping in mind that Lagos rewards speed ("Be smart! Be sharp!" is probably the one of the first things a Lagos kid learns.) So we are conditioned to think ourselves smart when we do things that feel sharp.

(This also explains why we cut each other off in traffic, run red lights and go against traffic on one-way roads: each of those things represents moving faster, and therefore smarter.)

Which is why @ Chuksjuve above is right to say the major reason is our need to do things with speed.

The secondary reason, however, is the emotional sense of reward that comes from being "faster," which proves that we're "smarter."

So the Lagosian thinking is going something like this: "I'm smart enough to cross the road without getting hit! And those people who get hit obviously weren't as smart as I am."

And so, at this point I would disagree with those who say it's impatience. No, it's more like personal pride. And to tackle it, we have to:

Show proof of speed (something no pedestrian bridge I know of could keep up with).

Create disincentives against crossing bridges (which is the idea behind arresting those who do) — the problem with this is, it's very labour-intensive, and ultimately makes no sense.

Run a campaign to tell a different story about what it means to cross the road and why that is the smarter thing to do — not just based on statistics which only appeals to intellect (and is hardly ever a basis for decisions), but in a way that appeals to emotion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by salisy: 12:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
nigerians not lagosians
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Abiona001(m): 12:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
grin
LordCenturion:
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Montez90: 12:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
Anthony bridge is the most used
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by usba: 12:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
LordCenturion:

Quick change the channel
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by RexTramadol1: 12:33pm On Feb 28, 2018
chuksjuve:
Lagos is about sharp sharp ..

We are always in a hurry for everything ..

The pederian bridge to a typical lagosians is like punishment..

Telling a lagosian to use the pedestrian bridge is like telling him or her to climb Olumo Rock ...

Even sx is sharp sharp...... Lagosians gat no tym

Sare wagba.

Check my profile
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by KillerBeauty(f): 12:40pm On Feb 28, 2018
Shukusheka:
The idea that Lagosians do this because they are unintelligent is the easy answer. And it's also the wrongest answer to anyone who does anything different from you.

Human behaviour (including that of Lagosians) is driven mostly by a perception of what the person considers good for them. Depending on the person, that could be good right now or good later on. And what is defined as good often is influenced by what has been good in the past.

Apply that to Lagos, keeping in mind that Lagos rewards speed ("Be smart! Be sharp!" is probably the one of the first things a Lagos kid learns.) So we are conditioned to think ourselves smart when we do things that feel sharp.

(This also explains why we cut each other off in traffic, run red lights and go against traffic on one-way roads: each of those things represents moving faster, and therefore smarter.)

Which is why @ Chuksjuve above is right to say the major reason is our need to do things with speed.

The secondary reason, however, is the emotional sense of reward that comes from being "faster," which proves that we're "smarter."

So the Lagosian thinking is going something like this: "I'm smart enough to cross the road without getting hit! And those people who get hit obviously weren't as smart as I am."

And so, at this point I would disagree with those who say it's impatience. No, it's more like personal pride. And to tackle it, we have to:

Show proof of speed (something no pedestrian bridge I know of could keep up with).

Create disincentives against crossing bridges (which is the idea behind arresting those who do) — the problem with this is, it's very labour-intensive, and ultimately makes no sense.

Run a campaign to tell a different story about what it means to cross the road and why that is the smarter thing to do — not just based on statistics which only appeals to intellect (and is hardly ever a basis for decisions), but in a way that appeals to emotion.
So true. I remember the heighten joy and bragging rights in the eyes of one of my colleague when she was gisting us of how she crossed the road without using the pedestrian bridge and how KIA almost caught her but she smartly escaped while telling them WAKA. At that moment she saw herself as the true Lagosian.

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by KillerBeauty(f): 12:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
Jorussia:
My experience with the pedestrian bridge at ojota last October wasn't funny at all.The last time I visited Lagos was 2014 and i never new crossing the road without pedestrian bridge was no longer possible. I had to walk a long distance before i could cross over to efex park.The last time i used pedestrian bridge was 2009-2011 in uniben.those of us in Benin are not used to pedestrian bridges as its only present at uniben main gate.
Yeah I remember but I don't think it's there anymore.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by danielnike: 12:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
No time
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by AnodaIT(m): 12:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
All those zigzag movements, climbing up and down when you can cross straight across
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by chuksjuve(m): 12:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
Montez90:
Anthony bridge is the most used

From fadeyiii down to ikorodu

Anthony, ojota and to an extent mile 12 pedestrian bridges are the most used..

Every other place , crossing the road is dope and legit..

If you know what I mean
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by TeamLeader(m): 12:56pm On Feb 28, 2018
undecided

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Josephjnr(m): 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
Hmmm! Just forget those reasons jor. We in Lagos state are just lawless that's all. Check closely, which public law or rule ranging from environmental neatness to pattern of transportation are lagosians adhering to? None. A lot of agencies everywhere to make sure we keep to these laws yet you go see struggle.. Imagine okada man wen dey ride okada for where e dey ban and go still follow one way.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by kokomilala(m): 1:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
It's the government's fault. They have to command obedience in this instance. Aside that, they could erect fencing that would make it impossible for people to cross.
I think our greatest problem as a people is our near aversion for doing things right. You don't have to be any religionist to be righteous. Righteousness in the mundane means doing things right.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Omojuwa, 24 Others Blacklisted By Arik Air [see Full List] / Easter: Abuja Airport Witnesses Traffic Upsurge / Private Firm, SecureID To Manage Abuja-Kaduna Rail E-Ticket For 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.