Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd - Pets (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd (147084 Views)

Diary Of Boomer The Boerboel / Bella And Sparo The Boerboel / My Boerboel And Neapolitan Mastiff All Grown And Sexy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 2:05pm On May 28, 2018
Teemothymass:

Probably Murphy's mother mated with another larger boerboel to give birth to shadow

Yes their father is a very large boerboel, I don't know his pedigree though
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 2:20pm On May 28, 2018
Teemothymass:
And hope you were able to instill some disciple to him during your stay

Well i don't know what to say bro, I tried my best by cleaning him up because he's so unkept where he is
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by okikiosibodu(m): 6:27pm On May 28, 2018
It's so great to catch up on what I have missed. Brother, great job you are doing, keeping the pack "alive".
This your training session is critical o, Gustaf couldn't get his eyes off the treat. I never succeeded in calming hyper dogs down before feeding them, they just cooperated temporarily and still had their eyes glued to the food till I was forced to give in.... I couldn't try the delay tactics of leaving them and returning some minutes later repeatedly till they are calm, because they were not mine and time wasn't on my side. All the YouTube videos sef, make it look like hyper dogs are the easiest to train esp when it has to do with food but it is not the same in reality. For the raw feeding...... Though it helps to bring out all the features in a dog, but I think you should be par boiling it... Atleast to the point you are certain possible microbes won't survive, but nutrients won't also be lost., cos it is easier for the canines to get infected esp if the slaughtered animals were sick.
You didn't really feature the Rottie in your posts, we have die hard Rott lovers here too o. Great job once again. More grease to your elbow.
To all my senior cynophiles in the house, I hail O.... I remain humble

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 6:47pm On May 28, 2018
I hope OP has stopped feeding raw chicken to his dogs.

*Disadvantages include transmission of diseases, feeding an unbalanced diet as nothing else is usually added to the raw meat, and besides bones from the parts of the chicken he chose can easily fragment and choke the dogs or cause internal splinter injuries.

Even when you cook, please always choose safer parts of the meat. Chicken wings and feet are just not safe. Better to give chicken neck, breast or head (less risky)...
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 8:52pm On May 28, 2018
Rany4all:
Just learnt something new today, and felt I should share because of some of my earlier comments on your thread.

If your dog doesn't tolerate cow milk that well, it might still tolerate goat milk because goat milk has a lower quantity of lactose (milk sugar) in it. Hence goat milk is an option for such dogs.

Another alternative, which is even better than goat milk, is yoghurt because yoghurt is produced through a process that breaks down milk sugar into something else that is not that harmful to dogs.

Hence you can actually replace milk with yoghurt and not have that 'purging' but still give your dog the full benefit it would have derived from milk.

You've a nice point here, someone once told me about the goat milk but i was like " who extracts goats milk for sale??" though i heard it contains more nutrients than cow milk right??

Also cow milk will be more affordable than goat milk just as chevon meat costs more than beef in the market. What do you think!
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 9:04pm On May 28, 2018
okikiosibodu:
It's so great to catch up on what I have missed. Brother, great job you are doing, keeping the pack "alive".
This your training session is critical o, Gustaf couldn't get his eyes off the treat. I never succeeded in calming hyper dogs down before feeding them, they just cooperated temporarily and still had their eyes glued to the food till I was forced to give in.... I couldn't try the delay tactics of leaving them and returning some minutes later repeatedly till they are calm, because they were not mine and time wasn't on my side. All the YouTube videos sef, make it look like hyper dogs are the easiest to train esp when it has to do with food but it is not the same in reality. For the raw feeding...... Though it helps to bring out all the features in a dog, but I think you should be par boiling it... Atleast to the point you are certain possible microbes won't survive, but nutrients won't also be lost., cos it is easier for the canines to get infected esp if the slaughtered animals were sick.
You didn't really feature the Rottie in your posts, we have die hard Rott lovers here too o. Great job once again. More grease to your elbow.
To all my senior cynophiles in the house, I hail O.... I remain humble

Lol, well thanks for your compliments but yeah training these guys to obey basic commands is a very difficult thing to do and requires ENOUGH time and commitment too

What a pitty you had no time to complete your training before leaving Awch..

As for the raw feeding, i stopped it immediately Rany4all cautioned me about it, I now boil my meat and i think they prefer it this way sha

2 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 9:11pm On May 28, 2018
Rany4all:

*Disadvantages include transmission of diseases, feeding an unbalanced diet as nothing else is usually added to the raw meat, and besides bones from the parts of the chicken he chose can easily fragment and choke the dogs or cause internal splinter injuries.

Even when you cook, please always choose safer parts of the meat. Chicken wings and feet are just not safe. Better to give chicken neck, breast or head (less risky)...

Yes i no longer do the raw feeding as i have no idea how they're processed before consumption

I'm also aware of the risk of feeding them bones, most times i debone the meat before serving while i cut the chicken legs into pieces then serve neatly, I know how dangerous chicken legs can be if swallowed unchopped

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 4:16pm On May 29, 2018
nice dogs bro.....keep up d good work

and d chicken legs u speak of, is it cooked or uncooked because if it is cooked,d bones are still dangerous to d dog even if u chop it into small bits.
I once served my dog cooked chicken legs I broke into pieces.After eating it,he stopped eating for 3 good days.he then started vomiting those bones and later in d day, he began to eat little by little.
I do give my dog raw chicken wings ,head and neck and he loves it,no health issues because we rear d chickens our selves.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 5:06pm On May 29, 2018
Rany4all:

Actually raw chicken bones are save for consumption and cannot choke d dog and cannot cause internal damage but d cooked ones are d dangerous ones because once cooked,d bones become sharp and is very harmful to d dogs body
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 10:19pm On May 29, 2018
agboedeh:
nice dogs bro.....keep up d good work

and d chicken legs u speak of, is it cooked or uncooked because if it is cooked,d bones are still dangerous to d dog even if u chop it into small bits.
I once served my dog cooked chicken legs I broke into pieces.After eating it,he stopped eating for 3 good days.he then started vomiting those bones and later in d day, he began to eat little by little.
I do give my dog raw chicken wings ,head and neck and he loves it,no health issues because we rear d chickens our selves.

I used to do the feeding raw but i stopped knowing that it's kinda harmful, we should all be careful while feeding our dogs bones

So how best do you advice i serve the chicken??
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 9:15am On May 30, 2018
vincentjk:

I used to do the feeding raw but i stopped knowing that it's kinda harmful, we should all be careful while feeding our dogs bones

So how best do you advice i serve the chicken??
it is very safe to feed ur dogs raw chicken head,wing,and neck provided u know were d chicken is being reared and d condition of d environment in which it is reared. As I said earlier, we rear our chickens ourselves so I am sure it is safe and healthy for my dog. But if it is those frozen chickens they sell,it is safer to buy d chicken breast and laps,cook well,remove all bones and serve only d meat
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 9:33am On May 30, 2018
I still find it difficult to see how feeding raw chicken wing and feet can be considered safe while the cooked ones are not...

The way I see it, as long as the bones within the meat are the type that can be cracked or broken into sharp fragments by a dog, then its not safe (and believe me, a mature dog can easily do that to any hollow long bone, even the raw ones)
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Eveezy(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:
I still find it difficult to see how feeding raw chicken wing and feet can be considered safe while the cooked ones are not...

The way I see it, as long as the bones within the meat are the type that can be cracked or broken into sharp fragments by a dog, then its not safe (and believe me, a mature dog can easily do that to any hollow long bone, even the raw ones)
The only reason why raw feeding can be frowned on is the disease cos one may not actually know the source, boiled meat are usually stronger Dan raw ones, u know dt right? Dsame goes for the bone. If one wants to avoid his dog choking, then u entire stop feeding bones, boiling bone makes it have higher chances of choking than when it's raw

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 10:43am On May 30, 2018
Eveezy:

The only reason why raw feeding can be frowned on is the disease cos one may not actually know the source, boiled meat are usually stronger Dan raw ones, u know dt right? Dsame goes for the bone. If one wants to avoid his dog choking, then u entire stop feeding bones, boiling bone makes it have higher chances of choking than when it's raw
'Higher chances' means there is still some chance of a dog choking on raw bones, right?

And I disagree that the 'only reason' is the disease...what about nutritional deficiencies. Just like humans, dogs also need a balanced diet...they have adapted their dietary requirements over thousands of years of living with humans. They need a diet containing carbohydrates, proteins, fats & oils, vitamins, minerals and of course water, all in the right proportion and quantity.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 10:54am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:
'Higher chances' means there is still some chance of a dog choking on raw bones, right?
any animal can choke on any food provided its solid even humans choke on their food.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 10:58am On May 30, 2018
my point is,raw chicken is safe to feed ur dogs provided u know how well it was reared and d bones from raw chicken ain't harmful
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 11:05am On May 30, 2018
Below is a screenshot from a very reputable website (WebMD) on the risks of feeding raw meat...

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Eveezy(m): 11:38am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:

And I disagree that the 'only reason' is the disease...what about nutritional deficiencies. Just like humans, dogs also need a balanced diet...they have adapted their dietary requirements over thousands of years of living with humans. They need a diet containing carbohydrates, proteins, fats & oils, vitamins, minerals and of course water, all in the right proportion and quantity.
What balanced diet is there in boiled water? How does boiling a meat increases it's nutritional content? Or u talking of d oil extract dt comes out wen d meat is boiled? Where re d extracts coming from? The water or the meat? ND what do u think is d nutritional content of meat? Just protein? Or are u talking abt the spices? Like Maggi, salt, onion, curry? U do know salt isn't good for dogs right ND neither is onion, what do u need curry for in boiling meat for dogs sef, people claim it's fo it to entice dem, dogs already have high sense of smell to detect that meat already smells yummy without curry. So if you are talking about balanced diet, boiling ur meat doesn't create a balance diet, I mean what's the logic in that? U only need feed other things to acompany for a balanced diet.

Always keep a bowl of water for ur dog, it's very necessary not cos I wanto use it to create balanced diet by boiling meat

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Eveezy(m): 11:44am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:
Below is a screenshot from a very reputable website (WebMD) on the risks of feeding raw meat...
Now this was posted by someone like u as a potential risk, ND d unbalanced diet here is cos d poster was talking about is strictly raw feeding i.e no other thing given to the dog apart from raw meat. Too much of anything is nt good, even humans need to rotate their food, one can't keep eating eba cos he loves it, d person will ve a deficiency

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 11:48am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:

giving ur dog raw chicken does not mean u give him every day,u can give him twice a week because it is a good source of protein.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 11:54am On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:
this is also a screenshot of a thrusted website showing how safe it is to feed dogs raw chicken bones and meat
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 11:56am On May 30, 2018
agboedeh:
this is also a screenshot of a thrusted website showing how safe it is to feed dogs raw chicken bones and meat
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 12:03pm On May 30, 2018
I never said boiling meat makes it balanced now, did I? How many people have you seen feed raw meat with rice or indomie, for instance? U saw how OP served his raw chickens, right? Who feeds raw meat and has the time to add other cooked food, or maybe they also serve raw potatoes as desert..My point is most raw feeders feed only the raw meat and water, with nothing else because that is the closest thing to dogs' original diet in the wild. Over a prolonged period this can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

People that cook their meat, on the other hand, have more tendency to cook and serve with other foods.

BTW salt is not entirely bad for dogs, as long as its not too much. Salt is simply Sodium and Chloride, and these minerals are also necessary for dogs!
Its all about giving in right proportion. Even excess of vitamins or fats for instance can cause health issues for dogs.

Eveezy:

What balanced diet is there in boiled water? How does boiling a meat increases it's nutritional content? Or u talking of d oil extract dt comes out wen d meat is boiled? Where re d extracts coming from? The water or the meat? ND what do u think is d nutritional content of meat? Just protein? Or are u talking abt the spices? Like Maggi, salt, onion, curry? U do know salt isn't good for dogs right ND neither is onion, what do u need curry for in boiling meat for dogs sef, people claim it's fo it to entice dem, dogs already have high sense of smell to detect that meat already smells yummy without curry. So if you are talking about balanced diet, boiling ur meat doesn't create a balance diet, I mean what's the logic in that? U only need feed other things to acompany for a balanced diet.

Always keep a bowl of water for ur dog, it's very necessary not cos I wanto use it to create balanced diet by boiling meat
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 12:14pm On May 30, 2018
Eveezy:

Now this was posted by someone like u as a potential risk, ND d unbalanced diet here is cos d poster was talking about is strictly raw feeding i.e no other thing given to the dog apart from raw meat. Too much of anything is nt good, even humans need to rotate their food, one can't keep eating eba cos he loves it, d person will ve a deficiency
Anyone that knows WebMD will know that was definitely not posted by someone like me, but by a professional in that field. You can do your research.

The fact is most raw feeders feed only the raw meat with water because according to them that is the natural diet of dogs.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 12:19pm On May 30, 2018
agboedeh:
Still waiting for the screenshot...
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 12:45pm On May 30, 2018
My ogas we're all here to learn from one another for no one knows it all

Rany4all explained the risk involved in feeding our dogs raw untreated meat which is true and I'm happy more contributions are coming already

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 12:58pm On May 30, 2018
Rany4all:
Still waiting for the screenshot...
its really difficult to post pics
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 1:01pm On May 30, 2018
agboedeh:
its really difficult to post pics

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 1:04pm On May 30, 2018
agboedeh:

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by agboedeh: 1:08pm On May 30, 2018
post more pics of ur dogs vincentjk.I just love gustaf
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:18pm On May 30, 2018
@ agboedeh But what if the raw chicken bone/meat was gotten from an unhealthy bird how do we know this and control it, do you have any solution and a way of treating these raw meat? Please share more

Not all of us rear birds at home as for me i do buy from the market
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:19pm On May 30, 2018
agboedeh:
post more pics of ur dogs vincentjk.I just love gustaf

Alright I'll do that soon, the only challenge i face is just TIME

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (50) (Reply)

How To Make Your Dog More Aggressive / Pitbull Or Rottweiler: Which Is More Dangerous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.