Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,791 members, 7,802,500 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? (936 Views)

What Is Wrong With Men Holding Doors For Women? This Is Chimamanda Adichie's Vie / 4 Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Are Overrated / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Declares Support For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 01, 2018
In my last book club meet, during general converstation, we talked about Chimamanda.

For full disclosure, I think she's a wonderful writer: Her prose is elegant, her characters are real, and her reflections are quite deep and poignant.

However, I got the shock of my life when a lady in the group insisted Chimamanda is an inferior writer. I mean, I have read quite a lot and I believe I have refined taste when it comes to books so I was pretty shaken when the other ladies in the group also maintained that Chimamanda is an inferior writer as well.

So my question is this: Do you think the lady who called Chimamanda an inferior writer is correct?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how many points will you give Chimamanda?
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? by Megatrix: 8:00pm On Mar 01, 2018
She is not overrated as a writer. In fact I will score her works an 8/10 with the exception of americanah which I will score a 6/10
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? by eagleccentric(m): 8:08pm On Mar 01, 2018
I think she's overrated. Just finished reading her first book and truly she's not worth the hype.
Re: Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Overrated? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
eagleccentric:
I think she's overrated. Just finished reading her first book and truly she's not worth the hype.

Please can you tell me why you feel she is not a good writer? Can you also point me to female authors that you think are much better.

Also, if you can tell me a little about the types of books and authors you like, it will help me a lot.

(1) (Reply)

Attend A 2 Days Intensive Training On Importation Business Online / See The Snake We Killed Today At The Farm / Another Male Hostel Attacked In UDUS Sokoto By Yaro Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.