Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. (3243 Views)

Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? / Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? / Are Writers Lonely? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tripleasyndicat(m): 9:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
Nigerian Writers are usually underpaid. Any freelance writer in Nigeria that has had contact(s) with some clients, in Nigeria, would know and understand this.

Writers are into two enclaves. Firstly, those that are trained; perhaps those that have undergone the rigorous training and lessons on the nitty gritty of writing in a university or its equivalent.

The second enclave are those that merely picked up writing on the street; either by reading novels or by having some natural liking for writing.

The writers in the first enclave are not on equal footing with the second. The first group deserves our utmost respect and honor. Writing is indeed a profession that is learnt, hence its bearers should be treated honorably. We don't argue excessively with traders, artisan, market women and so on over their fixed prices, why should we argue with trained writers when being charged, especially when the price offered is reasonably okay?

Writing is indeed a work that is demanding, tiring and straining than those aforementioned.

We learnt a principle during our undergraduate days as a student of mass communication that every journalist is a writer, but not all writers are journalist.

In that case, trained writers should be payed handsomely for their beautiful work, as a form of appreciating their effort at learning.

It is high time we started paying our trained writers handsomely.

I have observed that not knowing the value of an excellent work, and the status of a good and qualitative writer is one of the factors that contributed to the ill treatment of writers. Please tell us your own opinion; why are writers underpaid in Nigeria?

Author; Hassan Taiwo A. (a freelance writer for hire)
Source; Triple A Writer Syndicate.
Contacts; tripleasyndicate@gmail.com, 08037932807

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by stagger: 10:49am On Mar 27, 2018
When a "writer" demands 5000 a piece and sends a sample loaded with all sorts of grammatical errors, is such pay justified? I wish I can upload a sample of what has been sent me as samples for tests I conduct. It is mind boggling.

So before we talk of higher pay, the true writers should show themselves.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by flyca: 7:06am On Apr 06, 2018
Apart from Politicians, every other profession is underpaid in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by nedu2000(m): 7:07am On Apr 06, 2018
'cause blacks don't read.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tokrizy: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2018
undecided
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by bjayx: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2018
If U ask me, na who I go ask
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by bobydo: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2018
Because they are underwriter
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tokrizy: 7:08am On Apr 06, 2018
nedu2000:
'cause blacks don't read.
Blacks dont read...are u sure?
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Godsent4life: 7:08am On Apr 06, 2018
Have iTunes for sale? Then contact me for clean deal I offer best rate
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:09am On Apr 06, 2018
If you want to hide things for an average black man, hide it inside a book, dat answer ur question
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by teemy(m): 7:14am On Apr 06, 2018
you value what you demand. ever seen a long piece here only for some to demand for summary? they just don't see the value of reading. now compare that to a dance jamboree and you can see why singers get paid a lot. it's just not that valued here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by kingkoboko: 7:14am On Apr 06, 2018
This ur rant doesn't even sell ur own writing skills well. U shud have done ur research properly b4 writing it. Have u found out how much an average journalist in Nigeria earns? Except u're referring 2freelance writers alone. I'm not saying writers are well-paid in Naija o! Hehehe...

And in my own opinion, a creative writer deserves more respect & more money than a journalist because honestly it's easier 2report an event (If u passed thru secondary sch, u must've learnt 2write such essays) than it is 2use ur imagination 2craft out written works of art.

That's why writers like Chinua Achebe & King kObOkO will always make money, dead or alive, selling their creative works. If u're wondering who King kObOkO is, ask Google abeg. *winks*

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by sinaj(f): 7:14am On Apr 06, 2018
edimat007:
If you want to hide things for an average black man, hide it inside a book, dat answer ur question
enough of this please nd speak for yourself.

I think you should read more so u'll knw what black people are achieving all over the world, Nigerian blacks inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Mentorkaryhm(m): 7:15am On Apr 06, 2018
Is just that we have not imbibe in the culture of reading, so we we can't value the writer.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 06, 2018
Hmmmm.. The truth is; getting terrific writers here in Nigeria is like looking for a pin in an ocean. I run a blog that requires employing writers and trust me, I have seen worst. If you find a good writer, please hold him or her tight.

As for pay, it's all about negotiation. Nobody is been forced.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 06, 2018
sinaj:
enough of this please nd speak for yourself.

I think you should read more so u'll knw what black people are achieving all over the world, Nigerian blacks inclusive.
Bro i simply say average not all, moreover how many books u don read for dis year.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by sinaj(f): 7:20am On Apr 06, 2018
edimat007:

Bro i simply say average not all, moreover how many books u don read for dis year.
okay sis.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 06, 2018
sinaj:
okay sis.
Your identity will not be replace
I am bro
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Gloriouspa(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2018
stagger:
When a "writer" demands 5000 a piece and sends a sample loaded with all sorts of grammatical errors, is such pay justified? I wish I can upload a sample of what has been sent me as samples for tests I conduct. It is mind boggling.

You are right my brother. Few weeks ago I was with a friend in his office, he showed me the job application letters written by some Nigerian graduates, who applied for a job in thier office, it was full of errors.

The issue of underpaid is on one side while some client will certified your sample and you do the real job and some will refuse to pay. You will later see your write-up posted on their website. It happened to me recently.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Victorakats(m): 7:28am On Apr 06, 2018
stagger:

I will love to take up your challenge.

I am a writer per excellence.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Victorakats(m): 7:34am On Apr 06, 2018
I am both amazed and surprised at the same time that many people are complaining of horrible writers.

Could it be that they are looking for writers in the wrong section or is it just a case of not having enough funds to hire proficient writers?

Well, if you are looking for genuine, creative, professional, and focused writer, then contact me on 0-9-0-9-3-3-5-2-0-0-3 on whatsapp or phone.

Thank you.

I am a ghost writer, blogger, content writer, story writer, and social media page manager.

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Afritop(m): 7:46am On Apr 06, 2018
Maybe because writing is no more a new thing
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by damosky12(m): 7:53am On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:
Hmmmm.. The truth is; getting terrific writers here in Nigeria is like looking for a pin in an ocean. I run a blog that requires employing writers and trust me, I have seen worst. If you find a good writer, please hold him or her tight.

Are you in need of a good writer?
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by enemmo(f): 7:55am On Apr 06, 2018
Almost everyone is underpaid in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Biodun1929(m): 8:00am On Apr 06, 2018
In your quest to find out why writers are underpaid, you belittle creative writers... not cool. You think it is easy to create a whole world in your head?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 8:03am On Apr 06, 2018
stagger:

Try him 08062577718. He's just spot on. Articles, speeches,political write-ups etc. Has many publications in our dailys
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by freshdude99(m): 8:04am On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:

08062577718. Try him and thank me later
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by SoNature(m): 8:19am On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:
Hmmmm.. The truth is ; getting terrific writers here in Nigeria is like looking for a pin in an ocean. I run a blog that requires employing writers and trust me, I have seen worst. If you find a good writer, please hold him or her tight.

You are even a terrible writer yourself!

To the topic, the sectors that pay well in Nigeria are oil/gas, financial services industry and health.

You merely make money in creative industry if you are self-employed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by nkem12345(m): 8:24am On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:

Please the blog and i would be willing to write creatively.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by myself13: 8:26am On Apr 06, 2018
sinaj:
okay sis.

Lmao

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by LordsBattleAxe(m): 8:28am On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:

I'm a freelance writer, and I would love to change your perspective. Chat me up @ claytoncaesar77@gmail.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Little Child" By REG Armattoe / Emotional DISASTER. / Amina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.