Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,301 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:04 PM

Why I Follow Bishop David Oyedepo.....by Bishop Abioye - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Follow Bishop David Oyedepo.....by Bishop Abioye (1177 Views)

Bishop Abioye: Any Man Who Doesn't Show Commitment Financially Not Safe To Marry / Bishop Abioye In Winners Chapel's Jet Enroute A Mission Trip / Bishop Oyedepo And Bishop Abioye Visit Ile-ife, Osun And Kinshasha Congo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Follow Bishop David Oyedepo.....by Bishop Abioye by Sam4ky(m): 10:52am On Mar 03, 2018
WHY I FOLLOWED OYEDEPO
-Bishop Abioye
*Says 'I will rather be a pastor of thirty people in my village and maintain good character than being pastor of thirty thousand in a city, without character'.
By Leke Beecroft
In a preamble to the article, the Joshua Generation, a study of the post independence apostles gradually taking over the baton of the gospel, this is a look at one of the foremost successors in this generation. David Abioye (born March 1961) is not just a Joshua, he doubles as an Aaron who held the hand of Moses, who was a voice unto Pharaoh. A man who on many occasions as testified by Oyedepo himself would finish messages Oyedepo started whenever Oyedepo had to leave the stage, an example was December 31, 2016 at Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland when Oyedepo developed a severe sore throat and could not complete the message as his voice was inhibited. What makes this humble servant of God tick? Have a pleasant read in this preview of THE JOSHUA GENERATION.
"I was privileged by God to come into this beautiful world fifty six years’ ago (. I have had the awesome opportunity to serve in the family of Living Faith Church since inception. Even though a graduate of Engineering, I’ve found the greatest joy in my current calling and assignment. Before answering the call into full-time ministry, I had worked briefly at the then Open Cast Polytechnic, Auchi between 1985 and 1986 as a lecturer. I am happily married and blessed with three wonderful children.
Ministry is a call, not what you desire. I needed to say that because I did not desire ministry. I was simply a lover of God; I love God and was running after God. I never thought of ministry. I was dreaming of having a modern high tech workshop which was my greatest aspiration. I was doing everything I could to get that done while at the same time, loving the Lord as a believer. One thing led to the other, and in the process I was privileged to meet God’s servant, Bishop David Oyedepo.
When I met him, I saw in him the kind of passion in greater dimension of knowing Jesus and following after him. That fired me up. In the process of time, God gave him a vision for ministry and I found myself serving him with great love for Jesus. Even then, when the ministry commenced, I was still pursuing my passion for an automobile engineering workshop. Until finally, the Lord spoke to me, to abandon what I was doing to serve under his servant. That is how I came into the ministry.
God has different ways of dealing with people. My spiritual relationship with God has always come in most simple and modest way. I have had God speak to me, mostly through inner voice and deep conviction, which I believe is one of the strongest ways of God speaking to people, just like in Elijah’s experience on the mountain; the still small voice. When that voice comes it is usually with strong conviction. Every time I hear God in such a manner it is with assurance and rest. The Lord spoke to me that He has an assignment for me under Bishop David Oyedepo, which is what I refer to as my calling to the ministry. I have said this several times that my ministry is to see to the fulfillment of his ministry. It’s more of supportive ministry; while he deals with major issues, I look into smaller issues to prevent distraction. In all, little or big, I am doing what I’m assigned to under his calling.
My contact with God’s servant which dates back to early 1980 is a mystery. It was in a Christian Students’ Fellowship. Hearing him speak ignited fire into my spirit, I found in him a man who was pursuing God the way I desired to pursue after God. Thus, he immediately attracted me. Ever since that day, my spirit connected to his spirit. It’s beyond physical likeness of any kind. I believe this can be better illustrated with Proverbs 27:19, “As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.” Ever since then the relationship has kept growing deeper by the day. It’s exciting, and I give glory to God for the privilege.
He is several things to me. Firstly, he played a great brotherly role in my life. Since I became a staff under him, we have also had a formal relationship. I regard myself as a servant under him. From that formal relationship, it has grown to a father-son relationship. He has given me the privilege of coming close, having the treatment of a son. I work very hard not to abuse but to appreciate that privilege.
When God’s presence is with you, you are at rest. He said “My presence will go with you and I will give you rest” He leads you beside still water, He refreshes your soul, He keeps you away from anxiety because in the first place He does not lead you into what you want but what He has programmed for your life.
The phenomenon of church expansion of this ministry is an act of God. Going through church planting history, I’ve not read of how this number of churches was planted within the period of years that God gave to us. For example, up till the end of the year 2009, our church network in Nigeria was under 800, but within the following two years, God by His mighty hand has enabled us to increase the number of churches to over five thousand. We didn’t make it happen, God made it happen. He only gave us the privilege to quickly respond to His command. We are celebrating this because what God has spoken, His hand has equally performed; to Him alone be all the glory.
Number two is divine guidance. While vision is identifying God’s purpose for your life, divine guidance shows the pathway to fulfilling that purpose. As God’s servant always says “we do nothing except as commanded by the Lord.” Today, people see this ministry as being in the forefront, the reason is because no project is ever embarked upon except as commanded by the Lord.
Another important factor is divine presence. This ministry believes so much that without God’s presence, embarking on any pursuit is a waste of effort. Divine presence has been our backbone it uproots mountains and gives birth to all-round breakthrough.
Finally, there is the prompt obedience to divine signal as exhibited by Gods servant. He is a man of prompt action. Once he hears God giving directive on any subject, he does not waste time to thoroughly follow it through, and when prompt action meets with divine guidance, great accomplishment is bound to erupt.
You see when you have truly heard from God, the voices of others become insignificant to you. You can’t hear from God and be confused. You can’t hear from God and doubt. You can’t hear from God and be wondering whether you heard from Him or not. It’s as clear as that. It’s only someone who wants to walk in disobedience that will pretend to hear something else as it comes to play.
You don’t have to start ministry to have a ministry. I quite understand that there are callings and as a matter of fact, callings will multiply because according to scriptures, there will be multiplication of visions. I like to discourage people from having a self made call.. If you are called, let it be a call and if you are not called, you can fulfill a calling within an existing ministry. I have come to realize that it does not reduce you, it’s all a matter of impact. Like I tell people, I am not number one in our ministry but by the grace of God, I carry out my assignment with undeniable impact. Ministry is about function, not about number. Ministry is not about ‘foundership’ but about touching lives. You don’t have to be at the top to lead; you can lead from the middle and you can even lead from under.
The Holy Spirit, my Guide, my Custodian, the One whom Jesus Christ handed us over to is my greatest asset. If you like, call it Divine Presence. I have always told people that if they care to pray for me, it’s the prayer of Divine Presence. If God be for you, no man can be against you. If God is for you, you have rest and your supplies are guaranteed. Everything that is needed is in Divine Presence. I have said humorously that ‘I will rather lose ten thousand members of the church than to miss His presence.’ Saul traded Divine Presence for the elders of the city, and eventually the elders left him. David rather preferred to miss the drums of the people than to miss God. That’s why in Psalm 51 verse 11, he cried to God, “cast me not away from thy presence and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.” You can take every other thing away but don’t take Your Spirit away from me.
We need to value the presence of the Holy Spirit. That is the promise of the Father that Jesus gave to us. That is my most valued asset.
My next asset has to do with my relationship with people which I describe as integrity; maintaining sound Christian character. When we were growing up in the faith, my family church background was in the Evangelical setting that is the Baptist to be precise. The basic scriptural principles we learnt were honesty, transparency, truthfulness..
I have said that I will rather be a pastor of thirty people in my village and maintain good character than being pastor of thirty thousand in a city, without character. I value character.. “’A good name’, the Bible says, ‘is better than riches.” If you lose money, you may get it back but if you lose your name it’s gone forever. The greatest inheritance you can leave for your children is a name. You may not leave any material thing for your children but leave a name for them. Without a good name you are doomed; when you are dead, you are truly dead. With a good name, when you die you still live on. Good character and integrity will be considered as my next asset aside of divine presence. I don’t care about what I have materially but I want to maintain a good name. A good name not in the sense of fame, but a name to be remembered for good. My candid advice is, live an exemplary life. People may applaud you for good speech, they may scream at your oratory skill but they will only follow you for your good character. They may admire you for your appearance but they will copy you only for your character.
As a person, I am passionate when it comes to the issue of family. Although, I have a very busy work schedule, I still find time to relate well with my family both immediate and relations, knowing very well that happy family is the bedrock of any thriving pursuit. I make sure I extend a hand of love to everyone, and assist in whatever way I can either on regular term or otherwise.
My wife is a blessing to me. Without mincing words, we have grown to have a kindred spirit. What I have admired about her is her love for God. What I recommend for young intending couple is to find a platform for their relationship. In my view, it should not even begin with love for each other but love for God. That is number one security for marriage. If you want to marry, look for someone who loves God. Look for someone who loves God the way you love God. You will always have a common meeting point even when you have challenges and struggles.
I realize that one of the problems people have in ministry has to do with their family relationships. If you have other pressures other than spiritual pressures from your spouse, it’s easy to manage. My wife has been a great lover of God and I respect her for that. Because she is a lover of God, she is a lover of me and my assignment. She is a submissive person. We have enjoyed the years together. As you grow in a good marriage relationship, you find out that your wife is more than your wife. I have found sisterhood in her; I have found motherhood in her. When I don’t see her as my wife I see her as my sister or mother. We have had good companionship.
My primary hobby is loving and serving people. I get excited when I have opportunity to serve people. It brightens my soul and quickens my body. I feel relaxed whenever I have the privilege to love and serve people. More importantly, I enjoy relaxing with my family because that’s the hub of peace and success in life.
I believe God made man to work, so my day usually is filled with work even till night with a brief break at every evening Often time, I only have just few hours of sleep at night. I do not compromise my study time which is usually at night time, as well as qualitative time with my wife and children."

1 Like

Re: Why I Follow Bishop David Oyedepo.....by Bishop Abioye by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 03, 2018
I ll read later
Re: Why I Follow Bishop David Oyedepo.....by Bishop Abioye by OriginalKogiboy(m): 11:19am On Mar 03, 2018
though, I Prefare Bishop Abioye than papa. they are too complimentry for the job.

(1) (Reply)

Timi Dakolo’s Wife Shares Church Experience / It's Seems Like Atheist Think Like Children / Why The Rapture May Occur Before The End Of 2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.