Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

The Hole In The Wall - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hole In The Wall (433791 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / A Short Story - The Wall Between- Haruna Shukurat / lovely new series to read: The Wall Betweeen by Shukura Haruna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hole In The Wall by maticdamian(m): 7:05am On Apr 26, 2018
cheesy :DMeanwhile

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 8:21am On Apr 29, 2018
(Singing) Souloho19, Souloho19. Souloho19, Souloho19. Where you dey, Souloho19. Where you dey, Souloho19 oooooo. Soulo o Soulo o, Souloho19 ooooooooo. (waiting patiently and longingly for when you'll be ready to continue).
Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 10:56am On May 04, 2018
Oroolorun:
(Singing)
Souloho19, Souloho19.
Souloho19, Souloho19.
Where you dey, Souloho19.
Where you dey, Souloho19 oooooo.
Soulo o Soulo o,
Souloho19 ooooooooo.
(waiting patiently and longingly for when you'll be ready to continue).

Thanks baba.....i'm 90% there, just one or two things holding me....also expect a dark story (MEMOIRS OF A SERIAL KILLER) and a thief's tale (THE MIDAS STRATEGY) coming soon cool cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 12:29pm On May 04, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]
souloho19:

i'm 90% there, ....also expect (MEMOIRS OF A SERIAL KILLER) and (THE MIDAS STRATEGY)
Trust you to bounce back better and greater.
We are ready once you are ready.
Ope o....
Re: The Hole In The Wall by EkopSparoAyara(m): 7:10am On May 05, 2018
souloho19:

Thanks baba.....i'm 90% there, just one or two things holding me....also expect a dark story (MEMOIRS OF A SERIAL KILLER) and a thief's tale (THE MIDAS STRATEGY) coming soon cool cool
Please mention me as soon as you start them...
I so much love crime stories...
Bravo Souloho...
Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 2:48pm On May 08, 2018
Chisiudeh phoenixchap horladstar honourable356 EkopSparoAyara Meneski helenbee vickyluvspices iamloyalty agp19 joshnes heemah joislim rchilee labelle123 oroolorun boffinjay evaristomonarch nikz quineetee chii8 whocarex opeade939 kaycee9242 Godwinfury eberechi24 alarmednigerian adeculate
Thanks for your comments fam, the ball is rolling again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 3:34pm On May 08, 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~

In less than an hour I pulled into the police station. I dialed the number as I inched about slowly looking for a place to park.

Terry picked his phone on the 3rd ring. "Hello?" he said breathlessly
"Hey Terry its Rex...I'm at the station"
"Woa..that was so quick...You sure work fast""So wheres]'s your office or lab?" I said as I Observed two policemen studying us curiously.
"Just stay put...i'll come get you"

"Alright...." I ended the call and began the tedious task of reversing and accelerating as I attempted to park between two armour tanks.

Two minutes later I watched the lanky frame of Terry through the rearview mirror as he came through the double doors and began looking about frantically. I thought he looked nervous.

"There he is" Bami said also watching him in the side mirror.

"Lets go, no use waiting here"

I tried to hold the bag nonchalantly like it contained something uninteresting but I was very aware of the two policemen under the tree who still studied us with interest.

Terry spotted us and smiled nervously. He glanced at the bag in my hand with obvious interest.
"Lets go..." he glanced at Bami and nodded
acknowledging his presence. That was his greeting.
"Lead the way" I said.

I had only got past the second floor of the metro station once and that was when the building was being commissioned by the governor a year ago. It was out of bounds to anyone without the MPD (metro police department) badge. I had a senior badge of course with access but I stayed well away from the station. Actually I haven't really been involved with any case that would warrant a visit to the station recently. And also it was a known fact the police weren't really fond of us, Me in particular. They scorned us and mocked us and called us unprofessional amateurs.

Andy rebellious as usual paid frequent visits to the station, to go through case files, interview inmates or whatever was useful to the case he was working at the time.
Although I suspect he did it mostly to get under their skin.

We took the stairs and Terry seemed more relaxed as he led the way, moving sideways so he could look at us as he spoke. "I haven't turned in the evidence to storage yet if not that would have been a lot of stress with paper work and a lot of questions" he glanced at the bag and I knew what he meant.

"And you....you don't have any questions?" Bami said from behind
"Oh....all the questions i have are answered in the lab. I'm not a detective like you....i'm a scientist" he led us past a narrow hallway with a big hall on one side and small cubicle offices on the other. He led us to the very end of the hallway and turned to a solid metal door.
"Here we are..." he said and brought out a bunch of keys.
The bag was beginning to get heavier and I guessed the ice was melting.

He fumbled with the keys for some seconds then he finally wrestled the gate open.

"Terry...what's going on?" The voice was as sharp as glass and the three of us turned in suprise. She had her hands on her hips, and the but of the gun was visible in her holster. It was Dagnet.

Terry jumped guiltily at the sound of her voice "erm...we thought, that is these gentlemen here.....and here we are...." the words stumbled out ncoherently and i couldn't help thinking he sounded like a voice over a faulty network.

Detective Dagnet frowned at him then she looked at me and Bami "What's going on here?"
"We need Terry to run a DNA test with the evidence found at the crime scene yesterday" I said and watched her eyes go from interest to curiosity to bafflement. "Where is this dna exactly?" She asked but she was already looking at the bag.

I lifted it in response and her eyes followed it.
"Well....." Terry said. He gestured with his hands at the open door and hurried into the office/lab. I knew he was in trouble, I could tell Dagnet was going to chew him later, maybe even write a report. The bitch.

Bami followed Terry into the lab and I followed sighing when Dagnet followed me and shut the door.

"So how did you get the DNA?" She asked
"Remember she was my fiance...we lived together, there's a lot of her stuff that I haven't touched"
"Oh....but the bag is big na...what kind of DNA is in there?"
"I don't know" and I actually didn't know. I had deliberately not looked at the contents of the ziplock bag.
"How can you not-"
"Hey, lady...this is not an interrogation room, we're in a lab.." Bami said exasperatedly

"Actually there's an inner room over there...that's where I work" Terry pointed at an adjoining door. His voice had gotten a little bass in it and he went to the zinc and washed his hands with a liquid soap that smelled of lemons. He took a towel from a rack and dried them. "You'll need to wash your hands" he said akwardly, glancing at Dagnet he changed his mind. "Or you can wait here....It wouldn't take long"

But I was already at the zinc. I dropped the bag carefully on the floor then squirted the soap in my palm. "You know....I'd like to be there"

Dagnet didn't look too pleased but she washed her hands after Andy.

"Gloves and face mask are in the basket over there" Terry pointed to a small basket divided into two compartments by a tree branch. On one side was latex gloves in pairs and the other nose masks.
We 'suited up' without a word while Terry waited patiently. After all his previous non stop chatter he was silent now.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, somewhere in Jos....

"God.....its true what theyv'e been saying since o...our ozone layer is completely finished" Martha said as she opened the cooler for another carton of iced tea.
"mama...I'm not even sure we have any ozone layer again" Utebo said
"This sun is something else" Olivia added.

They were under an oak tree, the full strong branches provided shade from the scorching sun. they had spread blankets in the grass and arranged a mouth watering picnic.

A portable radio supplied soft music and there was the cool clean oxygen....straight from the tree. The adults were relaxed, having a nice time gisting and laughing.

The children were restless however, they wanted to race about. That was the whole idea of coming to the park wasn't it? A group of kids were flying kites and kicking a ball, risking a sun stroke, sweating from the heat as well as the running around.

"Just wait a bit...you'll play I promise you, you hear? Let the sun go down a bit first." Utebo said to her twin boys as they pleaded for the umpteenth time.
"But by then we'll be about to go" one of them said and made the women laugh hard.

"The sun would make you very black...like uncle Omar" Utebo replied, her eyes twinkled as the twins grimaced. Omar was a lance corparal who had been recently assigned to her husband. He was blacker than the hair on his head.

Olivia watched her daughter who had been engaged with a bowl of grapes for the past ten minutes. Emma loved grapes, a lot.
Suddenly she stood up "ice cream...i want ice cream"

"When wer'e going home we would buy, don't worry..." Olivia assured her.
But Emma pointed "ice cream"

Olivia followed her daughter's finger and the tunes reached her ears as she saw the cart being pushed by a fat woman.

"Ice cream, ice cream!" The other children shouted excitedly and clapped their hands in anticipation. The vendor who was a sharp business woman headed towards them, sensing potential customers.

"Aaaah...the one we'd buy is better than this one, its sweeter too" Olivia said.

"Let them have a cone...there's no harm..." Martha said. " I may get one too, this weather calls for it" She drank the last of the iced tea and squized the small carton before putting it in the polythene bag they set aside for waste .

"Good afternoon, we have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry" the woman announced pleasantly as she pushed the cart to a stop.
"Strawberry!"
"Vanilla-no, chocolate!"

The children shouted the flavour excitedly and the vendor served each of them a generous heap of the ice cream of their choice. She was even able to mix chocolate and vanilla at Utebo's request.

"How about you pretty lady?" The vendor asked olivia.
"I'll pass....i'm already too full"
"Its a good dessert, the food would digest well" the vendor insisted
But Olivia shook her head. "I don't feel like really"

"You seem a bit farmiliar have we met before?" Martha said as she watched the woman
"Really....maybe i've sold ice cream to you before...been doing this for about 8 years now"
she announced proudly.

Martha thought about it then shook her head. "I don't normally buy ice cream like this...its somewhere else"
"Maybe in a bus or something. Your money is 750" the woman said abruptly
Utebo dug into her purse and paid and the woman was off immediately.

"See her tiny legs" One of the twin said in amusement.

They couldn't help but laugh even as Utebo cautioned the mischievous boy.

Olivia watched the woman's retreating behind. There was something gnawing at her mind, Rex called it 'the gut feeling 'always saying to go with it. She didn't even know what 'it' was right now but she was feeling uneasy.

She was about to ask Martha if she could remember where she had seen the woman before. But her mother in law increased the radio. Between licks she said "oh....my song, last night the D.J saved my life..." she looked so younger and free as she sang and Olivia smiled.

*~*~*~*~*

Back in the teaching hosipital, Tonye was getting restless. The doctor had yet to show and sitting in one place for long drove her nuts. Andy wasn't much help, he hadn't even asked about the where about of the doctor but he could discuss marvel and Dc characters and argue who would win in a fight between superman and the Hulk.

Tonye stood up finally and stretched "I'm going to the hospital, If it is to hunt down the doctor then that's what i will do"
"Are you sure....I'll go with you" Andy said
"No" she glanced pointedly at the cooler under her stool and close to his. She couldn't carry the cooler everywhere she went especially when she didn't know where she was going. "You stay, incase the doctor comes"
He nodded in understanding and Tonye headed for the door.
"I'm very sure the doctor will soon be back, he is most likely on his way now"
Christie said
"Then I'd meet him on the way then.....you're sure he's at the hospital sha?"
"Yes now, there's no other place he goes"

When they were alone, Christie leaned in and asked "So are you single?"
"Y-yes"
"Wow, how is that possible?" She placed her arm tentatively on his lap and Andy swallowed.

He hadn't gotten close to any woman in the last two years that woke up his feelings or in simpler terms, made him hot.
"Errrm...is there a toilet around here?" He asked
She smiled and removed her hand. "Yes its down the hall, men is on the right"
Andy stood up. He glanced at the cooler. He couldn't carry it with him to the toilet. Besides it was already where it was meant to be, it was safe.

"I'll be right back"

*~*~*~*~*~*

I handed the whole bag to Terry and he hurriedly unzipped the bag. I thought he looked like a child opening a present.

He held up the ziplock bag and for the first time I looked at the content. It looked like an ear or whatever. The ants hadn't gotten to the corpse yet but time had already done its share.
Whatever it was, it was unrecognizable.

"What is that?" Dagnet asked
"DNA" i replied.
"No...no,,,,this is not nearly enough I have to amplify this"
"Amplify?" Bami asked
"errrh...."Terry scratched his head looking for the right word "....like photocopying"
"How will you do that?" I asked

He moved to a mini photocopy looking device on the table and hit some buttons.

"There's something called polymerase chain reaction, or PCR if you wish, basically its used for creating copies, thousands..,maybe millions and it takes just some few hours"
"Hours?" Bami asked mirroring my thoughts
"It wouldn't take long, i don't need much copies"

Dagnet moved closer and watched as he operated the device.

"i've never really wondered about the process of getting information from evidence...most times all i want is results" she stroked a microscope and looked round the lab in appreciation "How exactly does it work, is it like a photocopying machine?"

Terry chuckled and I sensed him finally relax fully. " no, not really. Basically what we're doing is making copies of a specific sequence of the DNA. What we do is put the DNA in this thermal cycler..." he patted the device lovingly "it has a thermal block with holes see....its for tubes with the reaction mixtures." He broke off checking our expression to see if we were following him. We stared at him blankly.

"Anyway" he continued "what it does is it lowers and raises the temmperature in specified programmed steps"

"This poly something....what is it?"
"Polymerese chain reaction....okay let me put it like this, There's a particular process when the heating and cooling is applied and ranges in temperature depending on the reaction....okay? so a cycle is a period it takes to heat and cool before it starts again for another cycle."

I nodded in encouragement as though I understood every single word, which was a lie.

"So the thing is as the PCR progresses, the DNA generated is used as a template for replication. Which sets of a chain reaction and amplifies the original DNA template in exponentials"
"Hmmmm....so that cycle you talked about, how many would it take for the amplification?" Dagnet asked. She seemed to be on the same wave length with Terry.
"Approximately 28 cycles"
"Woa....and how long is a cycle?" Bami asked glancing at his watch
"Its hard to say..you know each cycle may differ"
"just give an estimate"
"I've already given an estimate, i said 28 cycles, you'll have to wait and see if you want to know the exact time, which will be hard because some cycles are so different in duration"
"You know what maybe you should start right now...forget the teaching for now" I urged him.

"Are you sure this DNA you brought is really human and not bacteria or something else" Terry asked as he loaded tubes in the thermocycler.
"its human for sure, I was..." I bit my tongue and glanced at Dagnet.

She didn't say anything but looked at Terry "Is there a way you can make sure, so we don't waste time?"

"this is a waste of time, he's told you its human and it is, I was there and it came from the grave the lady you gave to us yesterday is buried or supposed to be anyway" Bami was frustrated and he eyeballed the both of them after his rant.

"its quite easy, I just assess the quality and quantity of DNA, its called quantification." Terry continued like Bami hadn't spoken. The young man loved to talk, or should i say loved to teach. Wether it was from an urge to show off or educate i didn't know or care but time was of the essence.

"Terry-" I began

"but it wouldn't be necessary, i'm sure its human" he said.
"So now what do we do?" Bami asked
"Well we wait for the PCR to finish"
"Then what do we do?" Bami asked again

"We'll need to distinguish the various molecules from one another. Its called capillary electrophoresis. Basically it means-"

I tuned out the young scientist and brought out my phone just remembering the picture in my box. I logged in and accessed my mail.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 08, 2018
souloho19:
Chisiudeh phoenixchap horladstar honourable356 EkopSparoAyara Meneski helenbee vickyluvspices iamloyalty agp19 joshnes heemah joislim rchilee labelle123 oroolorun boffinjay evaristomonarch nikz quineetee chii8 whocarex opeade939 kaycee9242 Godwinfury eberechi24 alarmednigerian adeculate
WOW!!!Welcome back.Glad you recovered quickly.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by adedolapo2017: 5:04pm On May 08, 2018
Welcome back bro
Re: The Hole In The Wall by URANTAALLWELL(m): 6:28pm On May 08, 2018
Great to have you back bro. keep up with the amazing work.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Charminee(f): 7:30pm On May 08, 2018
Wlcm bck uncle soul. Nice one
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 9:33pm On May 08, 2018
[quote author=souloho19 post=67385204] oroolorun [quote][quote author=souloho19 post=67385204] oroolorun [quote]
Thank God you are back fully loaded. Now let the show begin.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 10:03pm On May 08, 2018
How did the vendor knew the family will be coming to the park that very day? Something is fishy and someone, an insider is feeding an outsider about the happening is Obasi's life. Souloho19 you don come o. Abeg no let those little kids chop poison o.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:44pm On May 08, 2018
souloho19:
Wow.... WTF...Awesome... I almost screamed when I saw that an update had dropped but checking my time it was exactly 11:40pm so I decided to keep cool so that I won't disturb the neighborhood and be termed mentally unstable...
Am so glad you're back man... This is great..
Re: The Hole In The Wall by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:28am On May 09, 2018
Believe you me, I don't even understand a single thing of what that Terry guy was saying... It's so complicated...
Mr Souloho, you're a genius in your field...
Bravo Souloho...
Re: The Hole In The Wall by afamjb: 2:52am On May 09, 2018
Oroolorun:
How did the vendor knew the family will be coming to the park that very day? Something is fishy and someone, an insider is feeding an outsider about the happening is Obasi's life. Souloho19 you don come o. Abeg no let those little kids chop poison o.
lol bro calm down.. first of all I think you missed the part where the vendor played a recording from her laptop which she must have planted at their house.. it wasn't an insider job okay..
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 6:10am On May 09, 2018
[color=#006600][/color][color=#006600]
afamjb:
It wasn't an insider job okay.
I thought it's after going through the laptop that the idea of picnic came up.
Going to re-read it.
Still suspecting an insider.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 6:29am On May 09, 2018
[/color]
afamjb:
lol bro calm down.
Thank u Oga, I just realized I've lost a thread of d story midway.
But d questions I can't answer is, how did she got access to d family & how come she look familiar to Mama?
Re: The Hole In The Wall by afamjb: 8:08am On May 09, 2018
Oroolorun:
[/color]
Thank u Oga, I just realized I've lost a thread of d story midway.
But d questions I can't answer is, how did she got access to d family & how come she look familiar to Mama?
did you read delayed diagnosis..?
Re: The Hole In The Wall by WHOcarex: 9:57am On May 09, 2018
grin . welcome back souloho19
Re: The Hole In The Wall by phoenixchap: 10:32am On May 09, 2018
@Souloho19, Kinging as always smiley wink
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 1:14pm On May 09, 2018
[color=#006600][/color][color=#006600]
afamjb:
did you read delayed diagnosis..?
Yes of course, it's from there that I fell in love with Souloho19 and DEVIL WEAR OKRIKA sealed the love.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Eberechi24(f): 5:55pm On May 09, 2018
souloho19:

am glad you gave back with biggest hit!!! let the ball keep rolling
Re: The Hole In The Wall by EVARISTOMONARCH: 10:55pm On May 09, 2018
Thank for the mention soul. Am glad you're back with a more suspense.

Soul please do make it two updates daily.
Re: The Hole In The Wall by HelenBee(f): 6:47am On May 10, 2018
souloho19 welcome back man! Thanks for not disappointing and I thank myself for not unfollowing.

That Terry dude just talking like my chemistry teacher back then,you hardly understand anything.

I just hope those kids would be fine o.

4 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 8:05am On May 10, 2018
The wife was the target!!

Welcome back, sir..
Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 11:00am On May 10, 2018
dedicated to; Bentube (happy birthday)
paafin helenbee evaristomonarch eberechi24 oroolorun phoenixchap whocarex afamjb ekpopsparoayara charminee urantaallwell adedolapo2017 boffinjay

::::::::::

please wait.....loading.....

Damn this network!
I had been staring at the three words on my phone screen for five minutes now and it was still 'loading'

Everyone had fallen silent and Bami and Dagnet both watched Terry move about. The only sound was the muffled whistle suppressed by the face mask coming from Terry.
I shook my phone is frustration.

"You know its frowned upon to be with your phone in here" Terry said frowning at me.

"well....I need to make a call...i'd be in the outer office" I was already at the door when a thought occured to me.
"Hey Terry....that picture you sent to my mail yesterday....do you still have it?"
"Sure, its on my laptop"
"I'd like to see it please"

He shook his head in bewilderment like he couldn't believe what he was hearing "Hello! I'm kinda busy here....besides the picture correlates with the identification of the fingerprint so whoever's name popped up is who the picture belongs too"
"Just tell me where your laptop is I can locate the picture myself"

He looked at Bami "Is this guy for real?"
Bami looked at him blankly.

Finally he looked at me and cleared his throat "ehem....okay just give me 15 minutes i'd show you the picture"
"Don't worry I'd show him, continue your work." Dagnet said. She looked at me "I have printed pictures we uploaded into our wanted list. I'd call somebody to bring it up.
"Thanks a lot"

I stepped out of the lab and tore my mask off. That place reeked of death and I was glad to be out of there.
I tried Andy's number.

"Hello"
"Andy...what's up is the doctor back yet?"
"nope" I heard the sound of water flushing
"Where are you?" I asked
"I went to ease myself"
"What of the cooler, hope you didn't let it out of your sight?" I couldn't keep the panic out of my voice.
"Relax....errrm...Tonye is watching it"
"okay...."
"What's happening over there...has the Terry guy started?" He asked
"Yea...his running the tests right now, okay call me if there's any development"
"alright sure"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Andy ended the call and stared at the mirror. He jabbed his finger at his reflection. "Okay, be cool....keep it cool, she likes ya....stay cool"

A minute later he strode out of the toilet and with a confident gait, swaggered into the lab.

Christie was nowhere to be found at first but then she hurried out of the inner office. She had a slight flush in her cheeks and Andy thought she looked guilty.

"What, is it?"
"Oh....nothing really, someone called the landline in his office and I thought it would be him calling to give instructions...I can start the proceedure myself you know......but it was from x-ray asking for some earlier reports"
"Oh...." Andy said, he looked at the cooler and it was exactly how he had left it.
Christie turned and locked the office door.
"Why did you lock it?" Andy asked
"Oh, the door is always locked...a strict policy of the doctor but he is quite forgetful and misplaces his key sometimes so we keep a spare up here." She stood on her tiptoes and kept the key on a jar containing some kind of reptile in coloured liquid on the shelf.
"Okay, so..." Andy took his seat "how about you, are you single?"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Alli no Joy tapped his steering as he bobbed his head to the Fela song 'beast of no Nation' coming from the radio.

"Animal wear agbada...."

He never went past 80km/h when his wife or any of his family was in the car but whenever he was alone he let it rip. Pushed the pedal to the floor. He was an old man, if he didn't speed now, when will he?

Automatically he slowed down as he got closer to the park and the needle dropped to a steady 60.

"oh Fela was right....3 decades later and we have the same Beast in power"

He got into the park and slowed completely as he dialled his wife's number.
It rang and rang but there was no reply.
He swore and hit the redial button but still there was no reply.
"How on Earth do i find them now in this huge park, for God's sake Martha pick up your phone!"
He accelerated slowly watching both sides of the park at the children in swings, riding bikes and playing with dogs. He was about to call her again when his phone rang. It was his wife.

"Martha....why didn't you pick up?"
"I dozed off....Olivia was the one who woke me up, everyone is really tired...where are you?"
she sounded tired.
"i'm in the park already"
"Oh...thank God, you'll see us now, just give us five minutes"
Before the call was disconnected. He heard her say "Oya wake up, its time to go.."

It took almost fifteen minutes he knew because he had glanced at his watch frequently. But when he saw his family he brightened then frowned with concern. His grandchildren were almost sleep walking, the twins were walking- or stumbling with their eyes closed, each of them holding their Grandmother for support but she looked like she was the one who needed to be held.
Soma was in her mother's hands, her head on her shoulder fast asleep and Utebo looked like she was struggling to stay awake. Only Olivia was bright eyed but there was a worried look in her face. Her daughter was also in her arms conked out.

When they finally filed into the car, he started the engine "So, how come y'all look so tired...the children must have played a lot"
Martha yawned from the front seat. "It must...it must be the weather, it was really sunny earlier"
"Actually the children didn't even get to play at all....they all fell asleep" Olivia said with a frown between her eyebrows.
Alli was staring at her in the rearview "What is it?" he asked
She shook her head and forced a smile "its probably nothing, I'm just tired too"
"Hmmm....hope one of you would stay awake long enough to serve my dinner, I haven't eaten since morning"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The hospital was big and Tonye wondered where she should start from, there were so many doors, so many passages that it would be easier to get lost than find somebody. She paced around, trying not to get too far from the entrance as she tried turnings and knocked on doors.

"Sorry please I'm looking for doctor Rasheed" she said to a nurse she met in the hallway"
"Who?"
"errm...doctor Rilwan"
"I don't know him, we have a lot of doctors here....anyway try the conference hall, he might be among the doctors having a meeting"
"Can you direct me to the conference hall?"

The woman looked unsure. She studied tonye. "Who are you? the doctors are not to be disturbed during-"
Tonye pulled at her chain and dug the badge from beneath her blouse.
"You know what this means right?.....now i need you to direct me to the conference hall"
The nurse nodded agreeably "Why of course, i'll take you there myself"
Tonye smiled sweetly "thank you"

She saw the doctor from outside the window. He had an extra large head that was easily recognizable.
"Thank you, I'd take it from here" she said to the nurse who obviously had no intention of going futher and disrupting whatever grave discussion the medical geniuses were discussing.
The discussion was certainly animated and she watched them for some seconds as hands flew about in gestures and veins popped in necks.
After a while she opened the door and stepped in.

"What i'm saying to mister Macguiver is that I'm certainly capable to carry out the operation without affecting the spinal cord or the vetebrae-"
"That's doctor Macguiver to you!"
"Are you sure you can remove the Bullet fragments without crippling him? I side with doctor Kevwe on this we should just clean it up and disinfect the entry point"
"That is utter rubbish, you heard the diagnosis Doctor Rilwan gave us, the infection would spread if we do not act immediately!"
"Well a second opinion won't do any harm!"
"Are you questioning my diagnosis?" Doctor Rasheed boomed. For a little man he had a loud voice.

Tonye observed the circus for some minutes then she approached doctor Rasheed.
He saw her and jumped to his feet. He slapped his palm on his forehead. "Oh my God...I totally forgot, gentlemen I have to go"

The hall had fallen silent as the doctors all watched Tonye.
She turned and followed the doctor to the door without a word. Somebody whistled.

"Hey, Rilwan introduce us to your friend"
"I'm sure she carries you up when you kiss her"

She closed the door and closed out the annoying sound of hysterical laughter. "Jeez, your colleagues are pigs" she said
"You have no idea, where's Rex?"
"He went on an errand, what were you people arguing about?"
"Oh...twice a week we gather to discuss critical cases that
require surgery and decide the best course of action, from a medical point of view that is"
"They don't seem to get along very well" she said
He waved a hand "of course, there are men who like to play God, perform surgeries and take risk as if they could do no wrong, then there are.....pardon my language, pussies, the ones who would still hesitate to perform an ordinary c-section even if it was the last hope for a woman in labour"
"So which do you fall under?" She asked. The doctor must have taken a short cut cause they were already outside and heading to the diagnostic building.
"I'd say I fall somewhere in the middle. Where's Rex? I gave him my keys and I'd need it"
"He'll soon be back, what we need now is to run the DNA test"
"Sure where is the sample"
"Its in your lab already"

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Her lips were soft and her breath was warm. She kept on making a moaning sound in her throat that threatened to drive him nuts. He slanted his head diagonally to change the angle of the kiss and unleash the full tongue.

Andy willed his hands to remain still. He wasn't going to rush this and his hands didn't yet have the passport to travel all over her body like he wanted to. And besides this was definitely not the place for second base.

As if as a manifestation of his thoughts, the door opened and he heard voices.

"...-shouldn't take much time at all'

He and Christie broke apart immediately and she stood up and hurried to the zinc, suddenly interested in rinsing test tubes.

"Hey Andy, how are you....Christie I need you to clean up ..set up the phenol-chloroform for organic extraction"
Doctor Rilwan said briskly, Oblivious to the thick tension that hung in the lab.
"yes sir" she began opening cupboards and cabinets going through the contents.

Tonye strolled to the chair the student doctor had vacated. "I don't know what you think you're doing but its very unprofessional, you had better stop"
she said through her teeth.

"I don't know what you're talking about" Andy said weakly
Tonye frowned at him. "Andy you have lipstick on your lips"

He flushed visibly and wiped his mouth vigorously with his shirt sleeve.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

By the time they got home, they were all asleep apart from Olivia. Utebo murmured something about bathing the kids but when she went to the room to wake them up she didn't come out again. Olivia guessed correctly that her sister in law had fallen asleep immediately.

Martha also had put water in the kettle to heat up for her husband's dinner but she began to doze off while waiting for it to boil and Olivia persuaded her (which wasn't difficult) to leave the food to her and go lie down.

"I don't understand, why is everyone sleeping...its barely 6:30!" Alli entered the kitchen to check the progress. He could hardly wait to attack his dinner.
Olivia just finished turning the garri and she turned her attention to the soup she was warming.
"The only thing that happened was the ice cream we bought from this lady..."
"ice cream? it can't be they've all had ice cream before without sleeping, besides you're awake"
"That's the thing, I didn't have any"

::::::::::::::::::::::::

?? ??

Her ears perked up when she heard the lady mention ice cream. She sat up immediately and pressed the headset closer to her ears. Hmmm....so the bitch was quite smart after all.
She listened intently to their conversation.

"Sir, is this soup enough for you?"
"Ah, me i drink soup like water, you need to add more"

She smiled a bit and flashed back earlier in the day when she had visited the house. The freezer had contained bowls of soup and stew and tomato paste. She didn't have as much sedatives then and had been in a hurry to head to the park so she had decided on the soup almost at random. But it now seemed like she had made the right choice, and if she hadn't....... She stroked the gleaming 9 millimeter gun on the table.
It wouldn't be a problem.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hole In The Wall by light4life(f): 12:51pm On May 10, 2018
Oh...my...God!!!!! Soul!!! you just wan kill pesin sha!
I can't believe I've missed all of this action... Kai!
I arrived late, see my crush Rex and sweet family!

Awwn Soul, you even named Rex's daughter after my little self kiss I'm blushing right Now.... hehehehe

Thank you plenty for the mention...
I'm on your trail like an assassin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by dimssy(m): 12:58pm On May 10, 2018
hey Souloho19, how you doing?
Being a while.
God's blessings manh

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HORLADSTAR(m): 3:25pm On May 10, 2018
Thanks for the mention bro,am glad u are back
Re: The Hole In The Wall by emperorblog(m): 3:33pm On May 10, 2018
READ MORE,COOL AND INTERESTING STORY ON
www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Hole In The Wall by HORLADSTAR(m): 3:34pm On May 10, 2018
IN A GOSPEL MUSICIAN VOICE

Am Glad O
Am Glad Souloho19 Is Back O
And I Will Keep Following His Story
I Will Follows It To The End

#horladstar cares

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (100) (Reply)

Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms / A Man To Call Her Own / SPEECHLESS:A Story By Marianneada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.